Legends of Divinity OOC

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Legends of Divinity OOC
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #325
Originally by Lone Flame:

quote:
Well, I thought it was a good idea to put some structure to my character rather than making up a bunch of crap and then not keeping up with most of it & causing horrible inconsistencies like I've seen done in the past(this isn't the first RP I've ever done).
You brought in a bunch of crap that was already made up which the other RPers have problems keeping up with and is causing horrible inconsistencies with the rest of the RP. No one else has anything remotely resembling a 700 inch TV.

quote:
I use D&D for comparison purposes, because it's a game you can play a god in. I haven't RPed a god on a forum within my ability to recall, so I needed a reference.
Okay, I'm fine with that. If it works for you, it works for you.

quote:
I used James the Deity cause he's not that bad of a character. It's not entirely my fault some of you have problems with him.

He doesn't make any sense. He doesn't belong in Kalandha, even as a visitor. He's so absurd and random that he completely changes the dynamics of the RP, and not in a positive way. If this were a humorous RP, I'd have no problem with him, but this a serious RP, and so James just doesn't work.

Dikiyoba needs sleep, and will have to continue the rest of this argument later.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #326
What I find most irritating is that the two ideas which are driving LF and Safey are 1) Must raise army! and 2) Must make alliances to fight enemies!

This is not an RP about armies. It is about characters. Your characters fight. To RP about how you're "increasing your power" is simply pleasurable to yourself and serves few others little purpose. Likewise, solidified alliances are unnecessary because we will have no menace. There will be no massive conflict which requires you to create a coalition to fight it.

If you feel the need to create an army some time in the future, give it a face. Give it flaws. Give it a history. Give it actual generals with distinguishable personalities.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #327
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Any complains if the small mountains north of Kirwood are the Zsarim foothills?
Actually, I was going to make those the Wertel Mountains from one of Lenar's posts. I could put the foothills near the tip of the penninsula, that way the valley would, appropriatly, be in between the two. Sound good?

Edit: Oh, and I'll take Joth off the map. Sorry for the confusion, Ephesos.

[ Saturday, May 12, 2007 07:29: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #328
I agree with what seems to be the majority that James and Geltor are acting too rashly and randomly. Safey and LF, slow your war-mongering for a while, and concentrate on detailing your characters more. Especially, try to make them more integrated in the world we're playing in.

Also, Nalyd more PMs. Found time to write afterall.

[ Saturday, May 12, 2007 07:54: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #329
Truthfully, I still can't figure out what about mine and Safey's characters y'all can't understand. What the hell else is a Demon God going to do besides take over the world?! I mean seriosuly, he's not going to go to brunch and play tennis with rich people. He's going to try to take over and/or destroy the world. James is trying to save the world cause no one else wants to. What's so hard to understand about that?! "What?! Someone's actually trying to battle the forces of evil before they become so big a threat we almost don't stand a chance in hell against them?! Well, we can't have that."

Somehow I'm starting to think TM wasn't 100% to blame for the one thing everyone keeps bringing up to rag on my master plan thingy that's supposed to take place long after we've gotten our characters probly established and have done a lot of stuff. The beauty of that sort of plan is since it's not already in motion and I'm not attached to it, I can dropped it if needed. Well, guess what, consider the thing you know nothing about, but won't stop complaining about, dropped.

Now, I'll concede that some of the stuff I did probly shouldn't have been done the way I did it. And I could've probly explained more of what I was doing, but I was trying to make some of it a surprise. You know, building up to something, and trying to keep some interest by making you wonder what it is. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking that all, rather than just some, of you cared about something that doesn't directly involve your character. That's what I get for holding everyone to high standards from the old(er) days of RPing from back in the day(you know, from back when people actually knew who I was). I mean god forbid we actually be realistic and have a combination of fun and seriousness, instead of an extreme of one or the other.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, here comes some more character development, some form of an explanation for why James is doing what he's doing, and James becoming more tied into the world(which I set up for in my last post). And I'm planning to use that bit of downtime to try to do some more character development with all(or as many as time will allow) of my characters.

[ Saturday, May 12, 2007 08:50: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #330
It's not about understanding. It's about you two adding too much stuff and events to our world that other players have a hard time reacting to all that. There are already many subplots running and other things that need solving, invoking yet another bigger menace is just going to cause a mess. In my opinion, you don't need to drop your plans, just wait till those things are settled and others' characters have time to adjust to the changes you're making.

EDIT:
quote:
quote:
It is rumored that there are deities even amongst the gods, and amongst them, even higher beings of existence. And this ladder of deities is infinite, with there always being something more powerful, and someone always ruling over someone else... And each of these ruling hierarchies watches over the last.
- Alcazar, High Priest of Relipa, God of the Heavens. (Executed for blasphemy.)

If you guys don't mind, I'd like to play this out over the course of the RP. This would fit in nicely with the question of where the gods originally came from, and I'd like to have part of what Avin is doing motivated by finding proof for this. It wouldn't be a major threat, just another aspect of Kalandha deity system.
I think I'm going to give this some attention in my next IC, but first I'll have to settle my disagreement with Nalyd.

[ Saturday, May 12, 2007 09:08: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #331
Nayld you realy messed up a subpolt I had for Drigy. You should really consult me before messing with my characters.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #332
Originally by Lone Flame:

quote:
James is trying to save the world cause no one else wants to. What's so hard to understand about that?! "What?! Someone's actually trying to battle the forces of evil before they become so big a threat we almost don't stand a chance in hell against them?! Well, we can't have that."
This RP is not about battling the forces of evil. It's about working together to tell as coherent as a story as we can.

Besides, you've had your master plan (yes, I saw that you just now dropped it) since the beginning and kept insisting on it even after we objected, so your argument that James is doing what needs to be done is worthless.

As for the demons, we've been objecting to their overpowerment since they've shown up and people have reacted to them as best they can if the demons have shown up in the area. The characters who haven't reacted to the demons either don't know about them or have far too many other things to worry about.

quote:
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking that all, rather than just some, of you cared about something that doesn't directly involve your character. That's what I get for holding everyone to high standards from the old(er) days of RPing from back in the day(you know, from back when people actually knew who I was)
Don't invoke this sort of crap ever again.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #333
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Don't invoke this sort of crap ever again.

Dikiyoba.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but I'm sure it was quite negative.

On a more positive note, I do get what you're sayin' about RPing, D, and to be quite honest, I kinda disagree with some of it. RPing should have some fighting. They shouldn't revolve solely around it, but they should have fighting.

Take the Inn of Blades RP(reference you wouldn't be able to look up) for example. It had a nice had many different plots of varying depth, fighting, comedy, all the good things that make an RP interesting. Lasted a long time. I think I already mentioned why that was as successful as it was.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #334
Well, we're making progress.

I'd like to apologize. I've had two bad days in a row, and that's effected how I've reponded to you. I don't apologize for what I've said, just how I've said it.

quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but I'm sure it was quite negative.
Insinuating that people don't care and that the old days were better (your Inn of Blades example is fine) had nothing to do with the discussion. Whatever you were actually saying, that's how I percieved it, and I percieved it as flamebait rather than anything helpful to the argument. We don't need any of that. (Besides, the fact that we're having this debate at all instead of having a dead or out-of-control RP means that people do care, and we are aiming for a high standard.)

quote:
RPing should have some fighting. They shouldn't revolve solely around it, but they should have fighting.
Oh, I agree that RPs should have some fighting. I hope to have a bit of a fight soon myself. But it has to be a reasonable amount. Right now, though, the demons are (and your master plan was) threatening to overshadow all other aspects of the RP. That's not a reasonable balance. And I agree that this RP should have a certain amount of humor. But the humor that fits this RP isn't a ridiculously overpowered bunker. It's wending your way through an inane bureaucracy, snide remarks about missing fingers, and even endless rambling. The RP needs more of that, and less psychotic stereotypes.

While I'm on the subject, I would like to define a few things. When I say "overpowered" I mean "too easy". If your character is overcoming major plot-related obstacles in a post or two, he or she is overpowered, regardless of the actual amount of power that character has. (Nalyd, I think you border on overpowered on occasion, so please just be careful.) When I say "realistic", I mean that it's somewhat feasible that someone would act that way in a similar situation. No one goes on a homicidal ramage after eating a carrot in real life, so don't make someone in your RP do that, or anything even remotely resembling that admittedly awful example.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #335
lenar we need to discuss what to do with drigy(and undo the damage that nayld did) so send me a pm. I'm still not convinced I have been overpowering Geltor.

[ Sunday, May 13, 2007 04:49: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #336
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

When I say "realistic", I mean that it's somewhat feasible that someone would act that way in a similar situation. No one goes on a homicidal ramage after eating a carrot in real life, so don't make someone in your RP do that, or anything even remotely resembling that admittedly awful example.

Dikiyoba.

Apparently, I know, am friends with, and have dated a lot of crazy people. The characters I've introduced so far are based loosely off of people I know or have met(don't ask me how I managed to run into someone who's similar to Yumi)

'Course now that I'm starting to have to think about it, when I replace James(many posts from now), I'm probly going to play a character who'd do things more along the way I would.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #337
Oh, dear. Nalyd is sorry. he'll make it up to you. Later.

Lenar, PM.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #338
Ephesos, a PM regarding a meeting between Sliros and Avin.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to keep control of the white-haired woman to myself for the time being. This is because of how important she is to Avin's running backstory and plot.

[ Sunday, May 13, 2007 20:40: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #339
Long over-due, but whatever...

Explanation of Yumi

Yumi - an extremely warm, friendly, and cheerful celestial entity, who for some reason is obsessed with butterflies.

Why Yumi is useful - with an assortment of powers and abilities, Yumi excels at fighting evil entities. She can see people's auras and, despite her apparent child-like personality, she can read people better than almost anyone. Because of her Aura Sight, invisibility and normal darkness are nothing to her. She fights using a sword style(adapted from the Love Hina and another anime) that is designed to destroy evil and use a big freakin sword. She continuously radiates an aura of light that is mildly harmful to undead. Her final selling point is high-lv holy magic(most of which actually sucks, but is still vaguely useful).

Explanation of Serena

Serena - a generic psycho-woman. Serena comes from a race of being similar to humans. She hates men more than just about any other female of said species, for no explained reason.

Why Serena is useful - She uses demonic magics, all of which she can do infinitely. While she has some utility capabilities, her primary talent is general-purpose blowing the hell out of everything.

EDIT: Spelling & Grammar errors

[ Monday, May 14, 2007 10:16: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #340
Frozen Feet, you have a telegram.

Ephesos, call on line 1.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #341
Yay for explanations! Now I feel a bit more in the loop. Thanks, LF.

Nioca: received. I might get something done tomorrow... summer's nice like that.

On to more important things, though... Safey, I really hope you're not just going to instantly do what I think you're trying to do. You should have a PM about this.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #342
Wonder where Lenar and premonition are... I'd definetely like them to post before me.

As a completely unrelated note, I'd like to announce an OOC task to everyone: look through the web or your own music collection, pick a song you think fits for every notable character in this RP, and then post the list to this topic, preferably stuffed with links. I'll be posting my own list tomorrow.

If this seems like a stupid idea, well, I totally agree. But I've been thinking about this for a while now, and desperatley needed to get out of my system. I blame Yumi.

Written by Lone Flame
quote:
The characters I've introduced so far are based loosely off of people I know or have met(don't ask me how I managed to run into someone who's similar to Yumi)
It's not a miracle at all that you've run into someone like Yumi. After all, she has a completely healthy personality... for a spoilt four-year-old little girl.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #343
Functioning Links to complete songs... I might be able to that. We shall see.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #344
I can probably do that, though it'll just be names and not links.

--------------------
I like to reminisce with people I don't know.
- Steven Wright
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #345
Thats gonna be a lot of trouble for me.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #346
I've already got some ideas, it's just a matter of uploading them with my slow(but better than Dial up) connection... And compressing them down to a smaller size so that they don't take forever for people to download.

EDIT: I'm probly gonna get smited for this, but here's what I've got so far...

James - The Invincible by Therion
Harath - Naked Sunday by Stone Temple Pilots
Yumi - The Hunter by Iced Earth
Serena - Fight Fire with Fire as remade by Therion
The Triad* - Cowboys from Hell by Pantera
Seoth - Superterrorizer by Black Label Society
Silros - Whatever by Godsmack
Minoko - Down Where I Am by Demons and Wizards
Fourty - Saviour by Rob Halford
Cassius - Ultra Mega by Powerman 5000
Geltor - Beelz by Stephen Lynch... just kidding. Superbeast by Rob Zombie

*those 3 guys(I made) who hate James

More EDIT: Now with links to lyrics

Even More EDIT: Fixed improved slightly on a song choice or two.

[ Tuesday, May 15, 2007 15:18: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #347
Ooh! Three-way conversation! And an extremely filthy double entendre too!

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #348
First off... Safey: BAD. That was way too easy. At least have some difficulty bringing him past the Gatekeeper, okay?

Lenar: Will you be updating the summary on this thread's first page anymore? Just curious.

Alright, my song picks... PM me if you want to know why.

Sliros - If and When We Rise Again, by Streetlight Manifesto
Fallian - There's a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet, by Panic! at the Disco
Lauraziel - Such Great Heights, by Iron & Wine
(sidenote: there were a ton of choices here...)
Marras - Lightning Rod, by Guster
Fourty - Momentum, by The Hush Sound
Seoth - Another Word for Desperate, by Straylight Run
Noric - Keep Yourself Alive, by Queen
Geltor - One Way Ticket (to Hell and Back), by The Darkness
James - It's the End of the World As We Know It, by R.E.M.
Ashataro - Empire State, by Guster
Avin - Nowhere Road, by Fastball
Cassius - Blood Red Summer, by Coheed & Cambria

(Actually, Lightning Rod is just good for this RP as a whole... Lyrics)

EDIT: Rakshasi, excellent post. I love it.

[ Tuesday, May 15, 2007 15:15: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #349
If posting was like using the rest room, I would have just lost about three pounds. But anyway, a summary: Cassius leaves Seoth behind, taking Kuberr with him. The priests of Harath have unleashed a golem which purges everyone who has ever erred (as in, everyone). Cassius uses its own power to destroy it.

I suppose this leaves Mannik greatly weakened, and possible alliances with the Forsaken and liberal priests of Harath might be in the works. My next post will deal with the consequences of this attack.

Also, I don't really know many songs. But I assume Cassius's would be a heavy-metal song.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Pages