Legends of Divinity OOC

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Legends of Divinity OOC
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #375
Most RPs have a "don't be a god character" rule. Obviously, that won't work with this RP. Instead, let's make it a "don't be a God character" rule. Your character, though powerful, can't be omnipotent, omniscient, or omnipresent; make him or her more in line with Zeus or Thor instead of YHWH or Allah.

- As with other RPs, killing other player characters without their consent is not allowed (presumably, the gods are immortal). Players giving their gods too much power are also a concern; however, it will also be easier to solve these problems In Character. A God of Completely Unnecessary Chaos and Death can expect every other deity to act against him. Of course, please respect what people tell you in the Out Of Character thread.

here are the two rules about being overpowered. The first one I have abided by and the second one is to broad and more of a concern then a rule.

It was to hits and to be honest you don't understand the concept of an ambush.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #376
I'm fully aware of what an ambush is, thank-you-very-much. I'm also aware that it provides a significant tactical advantage in a fight. But it still stands that you cannot kill a god in a single blow. Or two blows, for that matter. The only reason the woman in my most recent IC thread (almost) got away with it was because Avin was in pretty bad shape already, and it wouldn't have taken much to finish him off. And yet she still lost!

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #377
In that case you know an ambush among equals or even against a superior foe can easly end in two or three moves. Also it wasn't an ambush alone there was also a bit of deception involed. I'm sorry I have to go to bed I guess I'll have to continue this pointless debate in the morning

[ Tuesday, May 15, 2007 22:47: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #378
quote:
Originally written by Lord Safey:

In that case you know an ambush among equals or even against a superior foe can easly end in two or three moves.
In real life and just in general, you're correct. However, if Geltor has the power to take down a perfectly healthy god in one or two hits, he's massively overpowered. It's incredibly unlikely that, by the time the god had taken the first hit, it would have sat around, waiting to be killed. He would have put up a fight, ambush or not.

quote:
Also it wasn't an ambush alone there was also a bit of deception involed.
You know what they call that? An ambush.

Seriously, the whole point of an ambush is to deceive the target into thinking he or she is safe and nothing is amiss, and then spring the trap.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #379
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

[QUOTE]

Seriously, the whole point of an ambush is to deceive the target into thinking he or she is safe and nothing is amiss, and then spring the trap.

and that is exactly what happened. He didn't now how bad things where until it was over.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #380
Safey, you got mail.

I'll be back for the list in few hours.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #381
Oh dear god where to start...

N, yes, James was on planes of existence where time flows at a different speed, which if you think about it isn't that unreasonable.

In D&D there is are 2 ways(that I know of) to destroy everything(including most gods) in over a 100 mile radius. Both are buffed up versions of spells James has access to, but can't/won't use because of how they work and what they do(also, he couldn't do all the things needed to make those spells actually be that dangerous, which they normally aren't anywhere near it). So aside from those, I really don't see away to do it. Note that I keep referencing D&D because it's the only thing I know of other than RIFTS that has rules for playing gods(trust me, if you're concerned about being overpowering, then you don't want the RIFTS take on gods)

If actually had a guy of Serena's species, which going at it nonstop could double it's population every 4 hours(assuming that none of them had to eat or sleep), in his group, he could easily have an replace an army in a few weeks. The catch is that, like most species, loyalty and mentality vary from person to person, with no guarantee that most of them could(or would) be even vaguely useful. That's a lot of potential threats and liabilities there. Now, Minoko has her group of loyal followers(only because of strict psychiatric evaluations and extremely good pay), but there aren't as many of them as she claims there are(it's called bluffing, and she's reasonably good at it. I've got another little catch on the Minoko thing I'll bring out later).

Also, it should be noted that due to the keen senses of a god, it's extremely hard(degree of difficulty varies depending on the god) for a god to sneak up on another god. Most mortals might as well not even bother with trying.

Now, I've already set up some contingencies if anything ever goes horribly wrong and we have a horrific & powerful menace to deal with, so y'all don't have to worry as much.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #382
Here are the songs I picked and why:

NOTE: The files are .wma, and thus pretty big. Also, my homepage has never before contained this much stuff, so I don't know how it'll react... the links should work, though, even if I've mixed some songs up.

Marras: Viikate - Tie (The Road). Alternatively Ei enkeleitä (No angels), also by Viikate.

Why: Well, if translated, the chorus of Tie is almost identical to the poem I posted ("So dark is the road" etc.). Plus, it has one interesting sentence, which translates "...but you can't buy back your used soul, when the palest of merchants knocks on your door". Priceless. The alternative also fits the theme and person of my character rather well.

Lauraziel: Indica - Linnansa vanki (Mind is its own prison) and Nukkuu kedolla (Sleeps on the field)

Why: It's too bad I'm inadequate to translate the lyrics as a whole. In any case, my opinion is they fit Lauraziel nigh-perfectly.

Seoth: Lordi - Night of the loving dead and Metallica - Blitzkrieg (it's not actually Metallica's song, but as I can't remember the original creator...)

Why: well, together they seem to wrap his character up quite nicely. The first one is actually more of a joke, but still...

Geltor: Lordi - Devil is a loser and Uriah Heep - Rainbow demon

Why: okay, I have to admit, they're both jokes. Kinda. It seems I mostly define characters through my own, twisted sort of humor.

Fourty & Harath: Nightwish - Kinslayer

Why: In my opinion, the words and tone of the song describe the relationship of the two quite nicely. Or then not. You decide.

Noric: Uriah Heep - Easy livin'

Why: I first thought about picking either "Too scared to run" or "Stealin'", but then decided to go the humorous road again. Noric is in no way in an easy position.

Cassius: Nightwish - Slaying the dreamer

Why: well, the vampire references fit. And the ending rocks!

Ashataro: Juice Leskinen - Vaasankin veri vapisee (The blood of Vaasa trembles) and Uriah Heep - The wizard

Why: the first song is filled with sarcasm towards violence and war, and thus I think it fits Ashataro's attitude. "The wizard" is there for similar reasons.

Fallian: Viikate - Padat (Spades)

Why: first I thought about "Ace of Spades", but then decided to go for the finnish alternatives. "And so the player is left hanging with the life's blackest spades as his trumps"....

Sliros: Sonata Arctica - Missplaced

Why: hey, the name is good!

James: Lordi - Not the nicest guy and Iron Maiden - Wildest dreams.

Why: the first one is again a joke, mocking his position as the god of love. If James acted more like a love god instead of being more like some random warrior deity, I'd have picked "Rakkauden Ammattilainen" (Professional of Love) instead. The second in turn reflects his journeyman nature.

Tuoni: Nightwish - Dead gardens

Why: think about those roses...

Mangroankeen: Nightwish - Planet hell

Why: isn't it obvious?

Minoko: Maggie Reilly - Every time we touch and Alice Cooper - Might as well be on Mars

Why: the first? Well, a nice girl deserves a nice song. And I think everybody gets why Alice Cooper's song is there...

Serena: Metallica (originally Misfits, if my memory serves me right) - Die my darling

Why: 'cause she's such a *****, that's why! DIE!

Yumi: Bob McFerrin - Don't worry, be happy (accompanied by a funny music video)

Why: 'cause I hate the song, and I hate Yumi. A perfect match.

Burard: Juice Leskinen - Midas

Why: mocks politicians. Mocks bureucracy. What else do we need (besides translated lyrics)?

Forgot to pick one for Nioca's character. I would feel sorry, if I just could think of a song that fit him in the first place. I'll see if I can find one. Hey, wait; this year there was this bad Eurovision song that was sung in six different languanges. Maybe if I can find that...

This RP as whole, is of course best described by Iron Maiden's "Silent Planet".

As of other things: I won't continue Marras's story untill Lenar and premonition show signs of life. I will, however, make a "fluff" post after Safey answers my PM. I'm trying to define our game universe better... if there are some details that you want to add to the world yet haven't found room for them in your ICs, please PM them to me. More strings means a better fabric.. I think.

EDIT: If ye want lyrics, this site is quite good.

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:03: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #383
I feel the need to repeat myself.

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

To all, I apologize for even creating Makroangkeen at this point... it was basically meant to put in perspective our own deities' powers. Specifically, it was meant to say to Geltor that he is not and should not be the biggest evil force in Kalandha. Little did I realize that Geltor would jump on this and try to release said huge evil force, in an attempt to solidify his own position as most powerful evil force in the multiverse.
So. To review, Makroangkeen was created to show that Geltor was not the most powerful evil being in Kalandha, and that Geltor should stop trying to be the most powerful evil being in Kalandha.

This was a story-level way of saying "Safey, bring it down a notch," without having to whine via OoC.

Also to review, Safey has now merged with the being formerly designated as the most powerful evil being in Kalandha, via some odd process that I'm not even going to begin to rant about. So now Safey is yet again the most powerful evil being in Kalandha.

...which makes me wonder. Why am I even bothering anymore? Much more of this and I'll just drop this RP like a burning pile of demon droppings.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #384
Hmmm... to me it actually seemed that the merging was temporary. I'll get back to that after Safey answers to me.

And Eph, please don't quit. Bad stories rarely become better if all the good writers leave. Or, at least, remember to make a good ending post...

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #385
Don't throw the towel in just yet, Ephesos. Take a break if you need to, and go a day or two without looking at it, but don't leave. Sliros only just woke up; he isn't ready to fall back asleep again.

I'm waiting on Safey's answer to Frozen Feet as well, and I am hoping to see some progress made in reducing Geltor and the demons down to manageable size, but if worst comes to the absolute worst, we can pointedly ignore or nullify Safey's more obnoxious posts. I don't want to see that done, but if it comes down to it, then that's what has to happen.

---

Sorry about not having any songs yet so far, Frozen Feet. Not much of my music has lyrics, and without lyrics there's not much to go on. I'll take any information on the original pantheon or the afterlife that you want to give me, if you want suggestions for your fluff post.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 10:45: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #386
For the record, Since Krasonva (Callia) pinned him down, Seoth doesn't really qualify as overpowered anymore. Expect Krasonva to help with the "Geltor situation".

Edit- Lone Flame, you have a message.

[ Wednesday, May 16, 2007 13:02: Message edited by: Dr. Allen McGregory, Necromancer ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #387
I've picked out a few songs, but I recently lost my entire folder of music, save for six songs. So this isn't a complete list by far.

Avin - Complicated by Carolyn Dawn Johnson (It fits because Avin is essentially getting himself into more and more complex schemes with every passing IC)

Sliros & White-haired Woman - In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins (It fits Sliros because he tends to have a spooky, aloof theme about him. Also, he can feel changes in the world around him. It fits the white-haired woman because of how she's acting; she's essentially playing bounty hunter, with Avin as her current target.)

Geltor - My Give a Damn's Busted by Jo Dee Messina (First off, yes, that's a real song. It fits because of how Safey is acting at the moment. Actually, it sort of fits Sliros's aloofness too, but I think my selection for him is more appropriate.)

James - Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer ( :D )

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #388
quote:

Also, he can feel changes in the world around him.
At first, I saw this as "He feels he can change the world around him", and I was about to snap. :P

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #389
Um... picking music is tough... and I'll be going to B.C. for the long weekend, so don't expect me back until Tuesday at the latest.

This has been bugging me for a while. I'm still relatively new to RPs, let alone starting one. Now I believe that guideline I wrote was poorly thought out. You know, this one:
quote:
As with other RPs, killing other player characters without their consent is not allowed (presumably, the gods are immortal). Players giving their gods too much power are also a concern; however, it will also be easier to solve these problems In Character. A God of Completely Unnecessary Chaos and Death can expect every other deity to act against him. Of course, please respect what people tell you in the Out Of Character thread.
Solving things IC is great... when it works. With a God RP, it could become as disastrous as this.

So... talking in the OOC thread is good. We all care about our characters, but I doubt anybody is deliberately trying to make the RP experience horrible for someone else. If something concerns several people or more, post it on the OOC thread. If it's just in response to one post, or a concern that's just between two people, strongly consider sending a PM or e-mail.

And remember, <Inane Wendy's Training>Just Be Nice.</Inane Wendy's Training>

--------------------
I met this wonderful girl at Macy's. She was buying clothes and I was putting Slinkies on the escalator.
- Steven Wright
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #390
quote:

James - Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer
If more females fall for him, that might do it(as would Take it Easy by the Eagles)

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 09:37: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #391
Safey, more mail! Urgent!

EDIT: Big and ugly IC coming yer way!

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:03: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #392
Big and ugly? I think not...

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #393
Nalyd hopes that Safey hasn't quit. We might have scared him off.

EDIT- Never mind. He got in an IC.

Anyway, Seoth wasn't really sided with Geltor! Gasp! Surprise!

[/sarcasm]

Ephesos, do what you will with Seoth's offer. But Nalyd hopes that you accept. ;)

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:25: Message edited by: Dr. Allen McGregory, Necromancer ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #394
I'm still here. Frozen Feet wanted to use Geltor for something I said yes and was just waiting to post till FF was finshed

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:28: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #395
Safey, PM. Sorry for the near double-post, but Nalyd's fort needs more indestructible spam.

[ Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:35: Message edited by: Dr. Allen McGregory, Necromancer ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #396
Erm, Ephesos? I'm sort of waiting for a response from you.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #397
nayld I have responded

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #398
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Big and ugly? I think not...
Well, it certainly is big. Using the "PgDn" key as a measurer, FF holds the record on pages 6 and 7 of the RP with over 4 screen lengths. Nioca has me beat by about 1/4 of a length, and my record is 3 lengths.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #399
Re-responded, Safey.

--------------------

Pages