Legends of Divinity OOC

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Legends of Divinity OOC
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #450
I *seriously* hope Nalyd has a plan and isn't just quitting...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #451
...either way, I'm a little hesitant to acknowledge that.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #452
I know what nayld is planning up to a certian point. I could tell you but then that be a spolier. Some of you are thinking the Geltor shouldn't be able to kill a god that quickly or destroy Seoth's bone dome that quickly and I agree completly.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #453
Geltor apparently needs to micromanage his demons. ;)

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #454
And stuff like that is why James keeps Yumi around. He'll need to have years of therapy afterwards, but not having your plans ruined because of falling for cheap tricks is worth it... barely.

[ Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:47: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #455
I'm annoyed by this whole "relaying mental images" thing. It feels hackneyed.

--------------------

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #456
So?

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #457
He's just mad cause he didn't think to conjure himself his own Oracle with divination magics and telepathy.

It's more of a convenience thing. James can technically do that stuff himself, but why do that when someone else can.

On a side note: does 1000 people, most of which won't be battle ready for several months, sound a bit too much, or is that acceptable?

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #458
Sounds fine to me, LF. On a sidenote, Avin has a similar ability. However, it's more of an emphatic link to each member of his tribe, which involves basic telepathy (aka: no image sending).

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #459
By LF:
quote:
He's just mad cause he didn't think to conjure himself his own Oracle with divination magics and telepathy.
No, he isn't. Look up 'hackneyed'.

--------------------
It's a bird!
It's a plane!
It's a dome of bone flying through space covered with illusion!

EDIT: Minty flavoured illusion! Undead are a part of today's complete breakfast!

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 17:35: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #460
*looks up hackneyed*

Ah. I always thought that meant sudden and unrealistic.

That said, you make it sound like illusion is some sort of sauce, Dintiradan.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #461
Only Geltor's more experinced demons can do it. Like the demon lord and the 5 assiasins.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #462
And James isn't retarded, so thus must have his own personal fortune teller. It's not my fault it bores people, but the fact remains that good intelligence gather, be it mundane or magical, is vital to whatever the hell it is James the Deity(or anyone else for that matter) does.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #463
LF, Safey and Nalyd, I wish you pay attention to me right now!

The goal of RPs is to 1) Have fun, 2) To Create a coherent and interesting story, and 3) To write the story in such a way that even someone not participating in the RP can enjoy reading it. Well, I can imagine you three having fun, but a good portion of the rest of us are currently grinding our teeth. In addition, I'd say the coherency and depht of this RP have gone down the toilet because of your stupid powergaming and warmongering; even Marvel superhero-comics have better plots than your last few posts! Conflict between gods has great dramatic potential, but you're wasting it. Actually, it seems to me you aren't even trying to make good posts!

Important aspect of roleplays is respect towards what people have written before you. Just out of curiosity, go and re-read the first ten posts of the IC. What kind of a world do they portray? What kind of a mood do they set?

In my opinion, it's quite a distance away from the "Dragonball Z reloaded" crap your last few posts are.

And so, we come to the third point. A stupid, one-dimensional conflict between bad and worse is boring to write (which is why many people have not posted IC for a while), but it's equally boring to read, too. And if non-participants don't want to read the RP, posting it publicly is quite pointless. If you want to have fun by pitting superheroes and their armies against each-other, a game of Warhammer Fantasy Battle is what you need. This RP definetly isn't your personal battleground.

Because of this, I ask you to give second thoughts to your last posts, and rewrite them. Revise the way you write, the way you are developing your characters and our world, heck, the whole way you think about this RP! Stop posting stupid crap and start adding introspection and perspective to your posts! If this is too challenging for you, then drop out of this RP! "Why?", you might ask, "If you don't like this RP, why don't you leave?" If you think this way, you have missed the point of what I've just written, and thus I have to hit you to your face with it:

This RP isn't about superpowered beings gathering armies and fighting eachother! You don't need this RP to do that! However, the rest of us need this setting to create a good story, and you are spoiling our chances to do that! You are spoiling this RP! If you can't stop doing that, leave!

[ Thursday, May 24, 2007 07:06: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #464
If I may humbly interject:

It should be blisteringly obvious to everyone in this RP that there are two groups players here who don't see eye to eye on the issue of what this RP should look like.

Arguing isn't going to change anyone's mind. Now, if you guys want to go on arguing for the entire RP, hey, go ahead. But if you are as frustated as many of you sound, I'd suggest you split the RP right down the middle into two different stories. Because this arguing shows no sign of stopping, and it will drag the RP into the land of the dead.

This is perhaps less salvable than ordinary spidweb RPs because the players have so much more power to change the atmosphere of the game world.

Maybe regular, Mountain of Shadows type RPs can work reasonably well just by talking things out, but this one isn't going to. I mean, it's clearly not. For an RP like this to succeed, you desperately need one of two things:

1) an RP moderator whose word is final (read: a dungeon master!), or
2) a closed group of participants, i.e., don't make the RP open to the public.

Anyway, just my unsolicited $.02.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #465
Originally by Slartucker:

quote:
But if you are as frustated as many of you sound, I'd suggest you split the RP right down the middle into two different stories. Because this arguing shows no sign of stopping, and it will drag the RP into the land of the dead.
So, something along the lines of closing the current IC and starting two new threads. One for Nalyd, Lone Flame, Lord Safey, and anyone who wants to join them right where they left off and the other for everyone else after deciding what to keep and what to edit out.

I would be okay with this. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but I don't think there is an option out there I would be thrilled with.

But this split does mean that anyone who continues their story (and I'm talking mostly to the second group here, because not posting is not the problem with the first group) has to be committed to it. I'm worried that people will just sort of stop posting ICs. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself worrying about that now, but an RP will die quicker from silence than arguing.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #466
Okay, now FF is starting to cross the line just a little too much for my tastes. I do find the comments made about my posts somewhat insulting, but hell, I've already given up on trying to convince people that the good(ish) plot I'm working towards really exists.

Look, dude, even when I wasn't having my character go to war, I took some crap over him. I have him go to war, so most everyone else doesn't have to, with the guys' characters who think the war's a good idea, and I take a lot of crap about it. Now, I either missed them or they weren't there, but I never saw any real suggestions on how I should be handling my character. I'm trying to get my character and associates to fight a war that most of the group doesn't want to fool with for whatever reason, and I'm trying to develop my characters. Like many of you, I've got ideas and creativity and would like to do some of them. I'm trying a hellava lot harder than y'all give me credit for. All I want is the same fair chance I've given all of you.

Now, that said. I get that a lot of y'all don't like the war idea. I truthfully didn't expect it to be quite as big a pain as it has been. If I had had my way, all that crap would've been over with already, but as I recall one or two of the people complaining about it now were the ones who said that a 'fight between gods should take a while' and it has, much to everyone's annoyance. If the fighting ever gets wrapped up, I have every intention of returning to my original objectives with my character, primarily interaction with other deities and finding out more about what it really means to be a god.

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #467
I really don't think LF or Nylad can be blamed for what's transpiring here. If you really look at it, no matter how you do it, it always comes back to Safey. If he hadn't have joined:
That mage town wouldn't have been destroyed, which kicked off a lot of the arguments about being overpowered.There wouldn't be the constant threat of impending doom, thus easing the tension most of the characters and, by proxy, players are feeling.Players wouldn't have to be concerned with mentioning a bigger threat in the distant past.Nylad and LF wouldn't have to use equally ridiculous responses to Safey's ICs, and wouldn't have to drag their characters down to deal with it.We wouldn't have uber-armies running around, destroying everything in sight.This RP would probably be a whole lot better than it is now.Plain and simple.

[ Thursday, May 24, 2007 09:25: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #468
quote:
Originally written by LF:

Okay, now FF is starting to cross the line just a little too much for my tastes.
Well, I already crossed the line for my own tastes. Go figure.

quote:
Originally written by LF:
I'm trying a hellava lot harder than y'all give me credit for. All I want is the same fair chance I've given all of you.
I see you are trying, and I hope your trying actually goes somewhere. And you still have your fair chance, like do Safey and Nalyd. So go use them.

And what you don't seem to understand that it's not the idea of war, like it's not the idea of a butterfly goddess, that we (well, me, at least) are protesting - it's the way you're implementing those ideas. A crude metaphor ensues: even if there's nothing wrong with the bow and the arrow, you still occasionally miss. You might blame the wind, but in truth the blame's on yourself.

As I said: there is huge dramatic potential in a conflict between gods, but you aren't using it. Instead, your posts, with all that energy-ball stuff, reminescence me of DBZ, and DBZ in prose format is just bad.

It isn't hard for me to believe there's some greater scheme behind your posts; it's just so well-hidden under a mountain of crap that it doesn't shine through.

And, what comes to the "speed of the plot", I still stand behind my words: you're rushing things. It'd make much more interesting reading if you slowed down and took your time to describe the mental musings of your character; how your minions react to your character; overall, how the freakin' world reacts to your presence. LF, you have lately improved quite a bid in these areas; however, you started out with such an outlandish character that what you've done still hasn't integrated him to the world of Kalandha.

Just out of curiosity, check your PM. (Applies for Nalyd also.)

As what you should do with your character, the first thing should be to make him live up his tittle. He's the god of love, but he acts like some random warrior deity. I've said this before.

Find him something to do - something that actually is related with the stuff he represents. If Nalyd and Safey improve their writing, they can solve the demon war in a couple of posts, a "couple" meaning at least two per person. You don't have to get more involved, in fact, it probably would be better if your character quit trying to group other gods together and went to do his own things; "own things", in this case, meaning stuff related to Kalandha and its inhabitants, that also have change to give material and perspective to other players as well. Stuff like your Minoko-lawsuit-farse don't work, 'cause they're too "far" from the rest of the characters, if you get what I mean.

I, and others too, can tolerate small bits of humour and ludicrousness, if you can mix them up with actual content. To date, you've been too heavy with other side, leaving the serious side of your character flat and annoying. This applies for your side-characters as well.

I have to give you compliments if you can read through all this. I'd get bored the halfway through.

I'm sorry that I have been insulting. Believe me, it's no fun to me either. However, this time I felt that it was necessary to get my point understood, although I'm not sure whether I achieved that.

As a sidenote, you once claimed we are taking this too seriously. I'm claiming that you are too "humorous", and that the kind of humor you've been using just frustrates people. Parody is a hard art, and it just doesn't always mix well with heavy philosophical musings. I again ask you to change your attitudes, and revise your posts. The harm done that way, I feel, is much smaller than the harm done the other way.

EDIT: Just read Nioca's reply, and was thinking of adding something, then realized that I already PMed Safey about it, and don't need to say anymore.

Besides, I've pretty much emptied my storage of words, both good and bad, for this day.

[ Thursday, May 24, 2007 09:39: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #469
message for Lone Flame and Frozen Feet

[sarcastism] sure everything is my fault /sarcastism off]

[ Thursday, May 24, 2007 11:25: Message edited by: Lord Safey ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #470
it should read [sarcasm](statement)[/sarcasm]

That's the most important thing I've learned from these forums in all my time here.

Btw, FF, the Energy Balls in this context are more of a Charmed thing, than DBZ. So's the fiery teleportation and a handful of other crap.

--------------------
Did you know: When asked about his voicing of Unicron, Orson Welles is quoted as saying, "Unicron was the perfect character for me to play. I find it easy to relate to him. We're both the size of a planet and we both can eat said planet."

Did you know: After the Holocaust, Germany decided that it takes at least 57 murders before they'll even consider prosecution and guys like Ted Bundy would known as 'Weekend Warriors'

Did you know: Most facts on the internet are made up with little or no thought to decency or good sense. And that most of the people who make them die a lonely pathetic death.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #471
Understood, and thank you. This sort of thing is quite common for Nalyd, actually. Come in, do good, make bad decisions, and ****s everything up. He'll be posting a remedy IC soon.

EDIT- Actually, if anyone at all wants Nalyd to quit, say so and he will.

[ Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:44: Message edited by: Necro-Master ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #472
So i spilled water all over the keyboard of the laptop with which i normally browse these forums. it may or may not go away, and as you can see im having extreme difficulty with the "i" key (i have to load it into the computer clipboard and push "CTRL-V" every time i want to type "i").

Anyway, i'll just say that im not happy at all with the way things have been going, nor have i been for a while. Firm action has to be taken, but people should also avoid creating an even bigger mess or ovrereacting.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #473
If only you had cut(forcefully if needed) power to the computer immediately, taken apart the laptop, and dry it out. Then your problem wouldn't be quite as bad. Contrary to popular belief, you can get electronics wet, as long as it doesn't have a bunch of paper insulation and/or capacitors(I don't know why they make them), and if you dry it off without it having power for any significant length of time, the piece of electronics will be reasonably fine(especially if it didn't have power going to it while wet).

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #474
Okay, I'm going to do something radical and switch from bashing to praising.

Nalyd, you were doing really, really well until the conflicts with Safey and Krasnova heated up. In fact, I'm slightly confused about Krasnova in general. And you already know what we think is messed up about the bone dome fiasco, so I won't talk about that.

But other than that, I think you've done really well. You were the only person to actually deal with Geltor's demon blood, and I liked seeing that. I'm a bit curious as to how things went downhill, and I think a little bit of it had to do with the esablishment of a lair... that's been a bit of a problem in this RP. Anyway, don't give up just yet, and I personally would prefer it if you'd stay.

(This makes me miss the Avernum Reloaded RP)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Pages