Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #0
Oh dear.

Geneforge's engine. Monster plagues. Anyone taking bets it's the Vahnatai again?

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
Geneforge's interface. The engine is probably still fairly close to the first three Avernums.

That said, I hold no hope for the storyline. If it's not the Vahnatai, I'll be shocked.

Edit: Okay, it's more Geneforge-y than I realised. But it'll still be turn based. Surely.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 18:24: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
This is what I hate about independent production. So much recycling.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #3
It looks like a serious cross blending of Geneforge and Avernum, but it looks okay. I thought Jeff was planning on using a new game engine, not something recycled...

The story sounds awfully familar from Avernum 3, with something causing destruction upon the land. Could it be the Vahnatai, coming back for ultimate revenge once more, or is it something deeper?

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #4
If we're lucky, the movement system will remain more or less the same as the old engine. I'll be okay with it, as long as it doesn't end up just bieng a Geneforge game with an Avernum plot.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 18:39: Message edited by: Error ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #5
I hope the combat has remained more or less the same. I can't stand the combat in Geneforge.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 18:56: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
I thought it might vaguely resemble Geneforge, but did he have to use the Shaper and Guardian graphics? I hope it's still turn based, too.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
Aaaaaaaagh! I don't like it! Aaaaaagh!

I suppose that the geneforgish graphics are much fancier and 'nicer', but since I started out playing Avernum 2 I've been used to seeing everything in the same style, and this isn't it.

I guess it's really just my own inability to cope with progress and change, but I am not happy with this.

On a more rational note, it looks like the UI has a lot of wasted space in some areas, and lacks some of the areas that have been a traditional part of the Avernum UI, like the text area. What, I wonder, are those four buttons with book icons and the four with items shown on them for?

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
I spy with my little eye something beginning with Geneforge.

I'd say that this game will ruin the Avernum series for me. Hopefully I'm wrong but this game looks to have far more geneforge than Avernum. And Geneforge was most definitly not my kind of game.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
Eh, I think it looks better. But I prefer Geneforge to Avernum anyway.

This could mean a whole bunch of new graphics for BoA, on the bright side.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Apprentice
Member # 6161
Profile #10
The geneforgish conversation system is better. Typing in keywords is IFish and, well, we don't talk to people that way. I played geneforges first and cannot get myself to play Avernums (even the demo) b/c it doesn't feel like a world you are a part of. I do wish it to be turn-based, though; I hate chasing people only to speak with them.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #11
The Avernums don't feature typing in keywords.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
I have mixed feelings about this. I like the two distinct engines, and don't really prefer one over the other, but I would have liked them to remain separate. Seeing a Guardian graphic used for a regular human is, I'm afraid, going to mess me up for life. I'm not going to know which game I'm playing!

On the other hand, I'm glad he's decided to return to Avernum proper. As much as I liked Avernum 3, I prefer the underground mood in the first two games. It's a unique atmosphere, and a fantastic setting.

Nice border decoration, though. Don't like the sound of more monster plagues, though. I've had quite enough of those after playing Geneforge 3.

Still, I'll undoubtedly buy it after it comes out, and enjoy it immensely despite my present misgivings. Just like always!

If nothing else, I look forward to exploring more of the underworld... And whatever lies beneath the underworld...

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #13
I just sent an email to Jeff about how the two series should be kept seperate. I feel that if someone wants to play Geneforge they play Geneforge and if they want to play Avernum they should be greeted with an Avernum game, rather than a hybrid.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #14
It's obviously too late for that to have any effect. He's started the game, he's going to finish it. Whether he makes another will depend on how it sells.

Besides, Avernum wouldn't even exist if he hadn't decided to do it with a different engine before.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 21:10: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #15
When if first saw the Geneforge like graphics I started gagging.
The slith looks like a recycled Drakon. Also I really hope they have unique character graphics like in the prior Avernums and not just colour changes like in Geneforge.

Although I don't mind the Nephilim graphics at all.

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
I find this to be sickening.

*this message sponsored by the avernum chamber of commerce*
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
Does this mean we'll see the caves of E1/E2/A1/A2 redone yet again in a Geneforge style?

The GF interface at first made me want to vomit, but then I remembered that I kind of liked GF1 and GF2. This will be... different. And if I really need a classic Avernum fix, I'll play BoA.

But this is the first SW game that seems like to actively make me want to play a different SW game instead.

EDIT: Well, the first JV-SW game, anyway. One cannot discount the RW-SW games, I suppose.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 21:41: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
According to Drakey, who somehow knows everything, it's still an Avernum turn-based system and the graphics are very preliminary. This makes sense; I still remember when all the PCs in Nethergate looked identical. Give the engine some time to look pretty and distinct, please!

The plot is also not vahnatai-centric this time, though they're still around. Story developing, probably literally.

The spell system is "massively improved," which can only mean good things.

quote:
Drakey says,
I feel like Avernum 4 feels more like Exile I than anything else, although maybe Exile II. I like it better than the Geneforges.
—Alorael, who likes the Geneforge graphics. Right now they look a little too Geneforgy, but you can't honestly claim that monsters looked halfway decent in Avernum. Geneforge is a big step up.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
If it's not turn-based, I won't buy it. That simple.

Edit: That's relieving.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 22:21: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- ben
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
Sigh

i was so very disappointed upon seeing the screenshots. I hoped he wouldn't use the geneforge interface. That's the only reason I don't like Geneforge, and yet he uses the interface. I simply hate the way the characters look. anybody noticed the way the PC's look like? Shapers and quardians. Surpise surprise. Indeed, still waiting for the Vahnatai to be the problem.

Sigh

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #21
I think Jeff will lose a lot of sales from plain prejudice. I will give it a try although I do doubt that I'll buy the full version. Who knows, we might be surprised and it might be absolutely brilliant. But from where I'm sitting it seems like a slim chance.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
The graphics are nowhere near finished - the reason the human PCs look like Shapers and Guardians is because it was easier to make them fit this graphics format than make Avernum graphics fit it or create new ones from scratch. There will be many new graphics in future versions. Also, Avernum graphics are worse than GF and Exile graphics.

Also, the engine is very, very different. In my opinion, it combines the better elements of the Avernum and Geneforge series. Movement is turn-based, and combat displays the grid like the previous Avernums. The spell system is massively improved, and there are some things that everyone wanted that are in there.

As for plot, so far it's a mystery game :P

Also, I can't believe that most of you are judging the game based on preliminary screenshots.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 02:57: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

The graphics are nowhere near finished..

Good, that gives hope for those of us who can't get through the Geneforgish looks of it. I would rather wait 6 more months than see a poor graphic selection.

quote:

Also, I can't believe that most of you are judging the game based on preliminary screenshots.

Very true. After all, what made most of us here fans of this game back in Exile 1 was not the graphics but the awesome plot. If the storyline is as good as the previous games of the Exile/Avernum series, then I guess graphics won't really matter.

...I just hope it's not another monster plague thing. Fingers crossed.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 04:25: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
I'm probably one of the few who has the following reason for playing Avernum:

Its not really that i find it an awesome plot, I think its just a sort of standard plot (people exiled, they want revenge, king gets killed, they find some race who also wants revenge...). What I like is the interface. the quiet sort of gameplay. You don't do anything, they don't do anything. i like the graphics of Avernum best of all geneforge and Exile series. it just appeal to me more than the other things. so that's why I'm disappointed.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Pages