Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #375
December.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #376
This came in the morning (e)mail:
-------------------------------
To: "<Recipient List Suppressed:;>"
Date: Friday, October 14, 2005 12:58 AM
Subject: Avernum 4 beta status

If you get this, this means I have your NDA and you'll have an
Avernum 4 beta shortly. I'm just scrambling to come up with something
good enough for general consumption. Thank you for your patience.
--

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software, Inc.
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

----------------------------------

Looks like Jeffy’s burning the midnight oil to get this thing ready for further abuse.

EDIT: Something should not have been shown ...

FOLLOWUP EDIT: Oops, sorry, Drake, I know what you yanked. I won't do that again.

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 14:57: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #377
Oh, sorry. I thought you meant the full release of the game. I see know you are one of the beta testers. Thus your question about beta status.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #378
Congratulations. Now I just have to wait until they accept applications for Windows.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #379
Perphaps this has been explored earlier in the thread, but is the game going to have multiple endings like GF? (I hope no[t])

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #380
Read the interview that was hyperlinked on page 15. It answers all of your questions.

*this message sponsored by the answer guy*
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #381
Why would you not want multiple endings? A nonlinear plot based on your actions is very good.

--------------------
Ignorwhat?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #382
Some people would prefer it if their actions had no consequences (except for good ones).

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #383
I believe at one time there was a huge discussion on non-linear vs. linear game play and scenarios. Whether its still around or not I don't know.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #384
The problem with non linear storylines for me is, unless there is to be a full game for each one, it gets boring after you finish the first. Honestly I think the original Avernums have more replay value than GF. After I finish the game once I'm over it because many of the different endings are very similar.

EDIT: I read the interview, and I like how there will be one major storyline and two other game-winning quests to do. Sounds much better than the GF style storylines.

[ Saturday, October 15, 2005 14:59: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #385
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

quote:

In terms of design, Avernum 4 doesn't have zones. It is all one gigantic, seamless gameworld. This has given us a lot of freedom. The world feels a lot more natural. You can find fishing huts and farms scattered about, and people to talk to hidden in remote caves. And it's possible to have huge, epic dungeons that stretch for a loooong way.

oh you made the quote from the a4 interview!
oh wait, so you mean that "in" amd "out"doors are melt now?if that is right, then wow :eek:
if you mean that is like the no outdoor geneforge way, then it completely sucks.

im reading the a4 interview and i read wonders...
so the trouble now is that the vahnatai are attacking from below and avernum is suffering again?
so i was wandering for example:now there is resistances,right, but jeff added waknesses or they are just the lack of resistances?
a thing that i really sorry is the loss of avernum graphics, the geneforge have the different style that i dont like as much as the avernum one.
so the movement system is like geneforge, wath a sh__
i read that there just are 20 of each spell class, another sh__ that was one of the most wanted things, so i think the area spells are not coming back...
i really hope that there is a lot of different items, just like in avwernum, not like in geneforge where the items could be counted with your fingers.
so the main thing that i complain about, is that maybe the game be just completely geneforgized, with some advantages but tons of disadvantages that the geneforge mix mean to avernum, it just an unseen fear yet, though.

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #386
just read the interview, sounds cool.
I was hoping that instead of 20 spells for each there was going to be 30 or something.
I also hope that there is more focus on the skills that you cant train in, and also abilities that dont necessarily need to be taught by a soul crystal. Maybe bought, or found in books.

The world where there is no "outdoors" and the world just continues sounds interesting... i think i am gonna have to see how Jeff does this
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #387
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

quote:

quote:

In terms of design, Avernum 4 doesn't have zones. It is all one gigantic, seamless gameworld. This has given us a lot of freedom. The world feels a lot more natural. You can find fishing huts and farms scattered about, and people to talk to hidden in remote caves. And it's possible to have huge, epic dungeons that stretch for a loooong way.

oh you made the quote from the a4 interview!
oh wait, so you mean that "in" amd "out"doors are melt now?if that is right, then wow :eek:
if you mean that is like the no outdoor geneforge way, then it completely sucks.

im reading the a4 interview and i read wonders...
so the trouble now is that the vahnatai are attacking from below and avernum is suffering again?
so i was wandering for example:now there is resistances,right, but jeff added waknesses or they are just the lack of resistances?
a thing that i really sorry is the loss of avernum graphics, the geneforge have the different style that i dont like as much as the avernum one.
so the movement system is like geneforge, wath a sh__
i read that there just are 20 of each spell class, another sh__ that was one of the most wanted things, so i think the area spells are not coming back...
i really hope that there is a lot of different items, just like in avwernum, not like in geneforge where the items could be counted with your fingers.
so the main thing that i complain about, is that maybe the game be just completely geneforgized, with some advantages but tons of disadvantages that the geneforge mix mean to avernum, it just an unseen fear yet, though.

Avernum 4 is going to make you very happy.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #388
You say the spell system is improved, which is nice. There are still only 40 spells, which sucks. I love my spells. In my opinion, adding just 10 more in each class would have been a major point in favor of A4. I'm no programmer, but are spells really that hard to add into the game?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #389
It's not so much a programming issue as a game design issue. Every useful gameplay feature has to be balanced with every other useful gameplay feature to make sure that they're all kept useful. Adding a spell which is useless is easy, but doesn't really add much to the game. Adding a spell which is useful is hard, because it might make the game too easy, or make something else less useful by comparison.

I've spent quite some time recently thinking about just this sort of thing, so I have considerable sympathy for the effort involved. As an example, a topic on the Pygmalion forum at Desp just spawned a half-page-long discussion about how much money a magical arrow should cost relative to a magical sword, and how both costs can be worked harmoniously into an internally consistent weapon enchantment system. That's the kind of thing which a game designer has to deal with in order to maintain balance.

[ Saturday, October 15, 2005 18:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #390
Finally, finally, beta testing has begun.

From what I've seen so far, I will agree with Drake that A4 should not give cause for alarm. Let's put it this way: I started the demo of Geneforge 1 once and hated it so much I stopped almost immediately. This is not happening with A4, and I'm the highly critical sort. If you don't believe me, dig up my review of Canopy last month.

Also, any other beta testers who would like to dialog during the beta phase, please use my email or AOL IM in my profile to get in touch. Poit, your email is bogus. Give me a holler.

[ Saturday, October 15, 2005 18:53: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #391
Possible changes that i think would be cool

priest:
Mass battle rage (maybe level 15 or so)
Bring back symbiosis
bring back would/as well as balance smite (it was so bad before)

Mage:
wall of force/ice/etc (it seems strage having cloud of blades as the only AoE spell in the game, give mage one, i liked the wall spells in exile.
Bring back sleep cloud/paralysis
Bring back stealth
bring back envenom
bring back scary moster

Abilities that could be brought in (i.e. taught by a soul crystal):
A spell like create illusions (splits you up into 2/3/4 clones, but only the real one can do damage. (at higher levels your clones can take a bit more damage)
Surround someone in flames, able to be cast on your PCs or on enemies, so whoever is next to them gets damaged. Something like imolation in Warcraft3
There are heaps that would be used. I hope that there is more of a focus on these as they kinda sucked in A1/2/3

Also instead of just melee or pole weapons, maybe there could be a an option to be like those crazy fighting monks, just punch.
If enough points in this you might get additional AP or paralysis touch. Or AoE to adjacent squares, a spinning tornado kick or something, that would be AWESOME. Draw back no armour or spells or something to balance. Maybe you have you enter a cult like the Anama to be able to do these things.

Anyone else have anything that they would have liked to see or see in future games?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #392
You know, it's way too late to suggest anything. Besides, there were huge wishlist threads months back... you kind of missed the opportunity.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #393
quote:

quote:

So basically when you go to leave a town, you don't walk off the town's map but instead the world continues to scroll? Not a bad idea. I don't think I've seen too many games do it either. Probably due to load times and memory issues - which aren't a problem anymore. ;)

I do see one major benefit to this - spreading plagues. A plague could start as a small infestation and slowly grow and consume more and more of the map. I almost wish the game were realtime. I don't suppose Jeff would care to enable both modes would he? :D

I have a feeling you can't confirm much or any of that, but I think I'm pretty accurate based on your quote. :cool:

[ Saturday, October 15, 2005 23:30: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Warrior
Member # 2902
Profile #394
@Frobozz
How can you hope for more plague stories? I think
we've had enough of those :)

--------------------
* Knowledge is Might *
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #395
That interview was really interesting. I iz excited. It looks like Jeff took a lot of our suggestions. I still don't like using shaper graphics. But whatever that's minor.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #396
quote:

Also, any other beta testers who would like to dialog during the beta phase, please use my email or AOL IM in my profile to get in touch. Poit, your email is bogus. Give me a holler.
Damn. Looks like my NDA fax didn't get through. I'm going to send it by mail which may take a week. In the meantime my email is m#j_s#l#o#a#n#e#r@yahoo.com.au (Remove hashes for address,) if you want to get in touch.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #397
Hmm. Not as bad as I thought. And if other testers want to converse with me, well, my e-mail's easily accessible.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #398
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

That interview was really interesting. I iz excited. It looks like Jeff took a lot of our suggestions. I still don't like using shaper graphics. But whatever that's minor.
You mean the actual character graphics (because like mentioned about a hundred posts ago, they're temporary) or the way the graphics are bigger? Because I like the bigger form a bit more.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #399
Oh good they're temporary. Excellent. :D

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style

Pages