Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #250
Aren't all the Vahnatai evil. I'm sure they were proven to be so in A3.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #251
Evil? Not exactly. Opposed to the Empire and to any Avernites who stand in the way? Yes.

Also keep in mind that it was only one clan, and not even all of that clan. Bon-Ihrno surely wasn't absolutely alone in his views.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the vahnatai are so evil by their standards. The Empire committed an unthinkable crime and deserved unthinkable punishment. Not nice, no, but who's to say it's evil? Where's your sense of moral relativism?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #252
quote:
Originally written by Hierophant of the Random Numbers:

The Empire committed an unthinkable crime and deserved unthinkable punishment. Not nice, no, but who's to say it's evil? Where's your sense of moral relativism?
Actually, Garzahd did. Most citizens of the Empire probably disagreed with him.

I don't see how abducting the Crystal Souls is more immoral than capturing, for instance, the members of the Vahnatai council. Anyhow, it's certainly no excuse to exterminate all specimens on the surface world, while those who where guilty of the crime were already dead.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 01:15: Message edited by: Inferior ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #253
Half of one clan of Vahnatai wish vengeance on the Empire for stealing Crystal Souls and vengeance on Avernum for interfering with the previous vengeance.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #254
quote:
Originally written by Inferior:

I don't see how abducting the Crystal Souls is more immoral than capturing, for instance, the members of the Vahnatai council. Anyhow, it's certainly no excuse to exterminate all specimens on the surface world, while those who where guilty of the crime were already dead.
It's more immoral (to the Vahnatai, and even to humans, as Crystal Souls have wisdom that all benefit from) than kidnapping the council members because of what they are to all Vahnatai everywhere. Council members are mortal, Crystal Souls are undying (unless killed?).

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Warrior
Member # 5699
Profile #255
quote:
Council members are mortal, Crystal Souls are undying (unless killed?).
???? ??? ???? ?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #256
Apparently they don't expire of old age.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #257
The Empire was only trying to learn from the Crystal souls. I doubt they intended to hurt them in any way.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #258
Please examine Vyvnas-Bok in E2/A2 and E3/A3, then repeat that statement.

—Alorael, who would say that taking the Crystal Souls is closer to blasphemy than kidnapping. The Crystal Souls aren't just vahnatai who are blue and contain more silicon. They're quasi-divine.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #259
Also, it was a splinter cell of vahnatai that clued in the Empire as to the value of the revered gemstones. The Empire made the rational choice by taking the perceived advantage. The bad guys are the vahnatai who had an argument with the leadership.

*this message sponsored by Ree-bok*
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #260
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

An Aftershocks reference, or a coincidence?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #261
quote:

Also, it was a splinter cell of vahnatai that clued in the Empire as to the value of the revered gemstones. The Empire made the rational choice by taking the perceived advantage. The bad guys are the vahnatai who had an argument with the leadership.

Which reminds me, why are/were some Vahnatai in league with the Empire in E2?

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #262
quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:

quote:

Which reminds me, why are/were some Vahnatai in league with the Empire in E2?

Indeed, the vahnatai brigands who had the fort in the NE tunnels were allied with the Empire, and assisted, at least with information, the kidnapping of the Crystal Souls.

Wasn't there's also a mission to kill a mad Crystal Soul in the Western tunnels? I don't recall its name, though.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #263
quote:
Wasn't there's also a mission to kill a mad Crystal Soul in the Western tunnels? I don't recall its name, though.
Delrin-Bok.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 21:36: Message edited by: Deep Sleep Therapy ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #264
So was the Empire really wrong in borrowing the crystal souls? I can't say they were when some Vahnatai openly help the Empire while others, Crystal Souls even, are not entirely aligned with their own people. Perhaps the Vahnatai orchestrated the whole accused theft of the Souls.

edit: Oh and Ree-Bok hell yea!!

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 21:31: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #265
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

So was the Empire really wrong in borrowing the crystal souls? I can't say they were when some Vahnatai openly help the Empire while others, Crystal Souls even, are not entirely aligned with their own people. Perhaps the Vahnatai orchestrated the whole accused theft of the Souls.

edit: Oh and Ree-Bok hell yea!!

When it is clear that you are dealing with not just an intelligent entity, but a significantly powerful one at that, I don't think "borrowing" is quite the right term.

That said, I am wondering how they managed to capture them when apparently a crystal soul is capable of frying the brains of ordinary mortals at several paces. An explanation might have been given in the game, but I don't remember it.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 21:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #266
You know what totally weirds me out? The way things like this get discussed online as if it were something real and historic to investigate, analyze, and understand. I'll bet Jeff himself hasn't thought half as much about the implications, insinuations, motivations, and inevitable contradictions in his creation of the Vahnatai and their behavior.

Is this a criticism of people who love to dig deep into what is really just a loosely assembled story for a game? Not especially, but it really is surreal to me to witness the depth of discussion and exploration something completely contrived like a game world can generate. I'll bet even Jeff couldn't answer half the questions, because the story is just a means to an end, playing on age-old themes of one sort or another. If you look too closely at anyone's imagined world, you will see the cracks, because no one can imagine something perfectly in harmony with reality--and you know what they say is stranger than fiction. There's just no telling what comes next in future human history. We keep surprising the mystics and experts alike.

The fascination and endless debate over the imagined worlds of Star Wars, Harry Potter or J.R.R. Tolkien are all a bit ridiculous when you remember what you're debating...a story one person made up. I wrote this mostly out of my inclination to make wryly-amused philosophical sorts of observations of the world around me, so no need to pounce on me for stating the obvious. One should be willing to poke fun at oneself, and here I am in the middle of a slightly absurd place.

[ Wednesday, September 21, 2005 22:55: Message edited by: synergy67 ]

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #267
I would say there is a reason that the greeting motto is 'Leave your sanity at the door".

Besides the insanity of it, some of the people here have known eachother for going on 8-9? years (perhaps longer) and if they or even us 'yearlings' are to have interesting discussions about it, they have to be over an eclectic array of subjects, not just 'Vogelian' ones. This has similar aspects to Star Wars, or other story lines, but its different in that much of it can and is defined by the fan base.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #268
It is possible that the Empire had the equivalent of a Thought Crystal when they captured the Crystal Souls, or the Crystal Souls thought that Gaddika and co. were taking them to a new crystal shrine or something.

Most of the Olgai Clan felt that their vengeance was accomplished when they recovered the Crystal Souls and drove the Empire out of Avernum.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #269
Gosh. I guess I should've looked closer, before posting my topic. Eh, that's what I get for being really tired, I guess. :(

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Apprentice
Member # 3542
Profile #270
I dont thinks its the vahnatais, it would be just too obvious, or maybe someone is manipulating or controlling them? I strongly think that there is something greater behind the vahnatais. :)

--------------------
Spidersoft maniac
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #271
Yes perhaps there is^. Who created the Vahnatai? They too might have been designed as a monster plague to protect Avernum.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #272
quote:
Originally written by synergy67:

You know what totally weirds me out? The way things like this get discussed online as if it were something real and historic to investigate, analyze, and understand. I'll bet Jeff himself hasn't thought half as much about the implications, insinuations, motivations, and inevitable contradictions in his creation of the Vahnatai and their behavior.
well excuse me sir but this is the "avernum forums" so we are supossed to discuss here of avernum!that the people here take the game very close to their lives is their bussiness.me for example always comment in this games but i still keep my life going!well i really dont like that star trek fans that are so freak :rolleyes: but this forums are for talk about avernum dont you think, antway very close to this forums there is a section called General, in that place you can even discuss about african children if you want!

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #273
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

quote:
Originally written by synergy67:

well excuse me sir but this is the "avernum forums" so we are supossed to discuss here of avernum!that the people here take the game very close to their lives is their bussiness.me for example always comment in this games but i still keep my life going!well i really dont like that star trek fans that are so freak :rolleyes: but this forums are for talk about avernum dont you think, antway very close to this forums there is a section called General, in that place you can even discuss about african children if you want!

Overreaction of the day.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #274
It's no more weird than analyzing a book.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style

Pages