Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #75
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Well it can't be the Vanatai. That would just be rehashing AIII. Which would be folly. People would be howling for poor Jeff's head.

So, that pretty much leaves the Slith. Remember, they too, have powerful mages and are adept at magical ability.

hm, hm, hm, hm, hm...

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

In A1 or A2, in the spider tunnels west of the very start, you find a humanoid skeleton of some one who does not fit the descriptions of any known races. I'll look and see if I can find it. Maybe it was them. Personally, I'm sticking with my GIFTR idea.

EDIT: Found it, it's in A2.

"There is a mummified body suspended from one of the webs in this narrow passage. It has long since been sucked dry. Thinking there might be valuables concealed inside the cocoon, you look closer.

"Sure enough, you see a long, slender object, about a foot long, concealed under a few layers of webbing.

"You cut the webs away from the body and discover it was a humanoid of a race you've never seen before. He or she was very tall and impossibly thin, and its hair was pure white. The body has probably been here for a few months.

"In a pouch at its side, you find, several gold disks and a slender wand. Distracted from your curiosity about its origin by a burst of pure greed, you pocket the loot."

That's a Vahnatai.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #77
Does it still say you can't identify the race if you find the body after you meet the vahnatai? Mind you, it is a vahnatai. This is a question of Jeff's attention to detail.

—Alorael, who didn't notice any hair on the vahnatai before, white or otherwise. Maybe it's a mutant. Or maybe even vahnatai are embarassed when they grow bald, or rather never grow hair, and buy wigs.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #78
I am playing A2 currently, and did notice that spider food. It is located outside the barrier area, so indeed you must have passed through the vahnatai lands (and seen the wierdos) prior to finding the "mystery corpse."

I hope that answers your question regarding attention to detail.

*this message sponsored by the GIFTS*
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #79
Remember there are many tribes of vahnatai, and we only know few. And what if they're not vaging war against humans, but against each other, and the 'plagues' are just a little side-effect...

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Apprentice
Member # 1043
Profile #80
Actually, we could have got a lot worse than this. At least, we didn't get the Homeland-engine.

Actually, i was kinda hoping for the Subterra-engine. That would have been pretty fitting, since we're back in Avernum in this one. ;)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #81
Why do so many people think the Vahnatai are in the lead this time, like in Avernum 3? Couldn't there be other races that are very powerful? Somebody already mentioned the sliths, why not them. They are very strong foes? ( :D Very good, you who mentioned them!) Why actually not the Nephilim, or a stronger race (like in the Scenario I'm making: Some sort of cat folk is in the sort of lead. OOPS! I didn't want to say that...)? I think there are probably many more races or being that can do this. How about Grath-hoth (or however you spell it)? He is a demon himself, isn't he? he can make all these strange monsters that come to towns and attack at will. I think we should be a bit more broader in this discussion, and not immediatly take the Vahnatai as probably in the lead. There are many more who could have a crudge against Avernum or the Empire (the dragons aren't to pleased with the Empire too, you know)>

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Why do so many people think the Vahnatai are in the lead this time, like in Avernum 3? Couldn't there be other races that are very powerful? Somebody already mentioned the sliths, why not them. T
Because, according to the reasoning behind the Vahnatai theory, Jeff doesn't have the necessary imagination. I can't comment on that, but we'll see what happens.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #83
Well,in Exile, the Slith got a bonus to int.

The game implies that the Slith don't just use magic, the Slith are magic. There are several instances of this, none of which I can recall directly off my head. A great race with great powers, which most of them can not remember at all, and they know little about their own origins.

Of course, dragonkind might be finally getting around to their revenge, but that would be to obvious and cliche...

No, I place bets on the Slith.

--------------------
The face leaping spiders of today are the brain sucking Vlish of tomorrow.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #84
Dragon revenge has been explored in at least one, probably more than one scenario. It *is* cliche.

The Slithzerikai are above all a very religious race, and skilled artisans - Jeff hinted at this in Avernum 3, and Kel really went into detail with his Bahssikava scenario. If you need to know about Sliths, you definitely should play that.

That aside, a race being "magical" is a strange concept. Are dragons "magical", or are Vahnatai? What is the difference between a race having strong magic power and "being magical"?

That also aside, Drakefyre has this idea of Vahnatai creationism, which means all sentient life, including Nephilim, Slithzerikai and Humans, were once shaped by the Vahnatai in a Geneforge-like way. I don't know anyone else who believes that theory.

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 05:28: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #85
Or is it possible that something, not Vanatai or Slith, Or Nephil, but possibly a new species that we have no knowledge of? Or am I just being silly?

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #86
There's one idea that really appeals to me. i think that's also the idea jeff probably has (at leat I hope so).

After many years of fighting, the avernites can rest. Some move to the surface, some stay in the caverns. Some surface people go to avernum. then, instead of the normal empire decay we saw in the last four Avernum games, aAvernum is starting to decay. This time however, its not the Empires fault but somebody elses fault. Who's it is, we shall see in avernum 4.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #87
That was pretty much just a funky way of saying what Jeff has already told us.

The hair is what threw me off. I never saw a single Vahnatai with hair and thought it must be another race. And the encounter is inside the barriers. I started a new game and just went about 10 steps west and 3 steps south, so you haven't met the Vahnatai before you see it.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Apprentice
Member # 374
Profile #88
I cannot say that I am not disappointed in the reactions of much of the community, at the very least, they were very childish. Perhaps you people have not taken a look at the current list of best selling games in the commercial world, all sequels and franchises e.g. Half Life 2, Halo 2, World of Warcraft, Sims 2, Sims Xpansion #2423, KOTR 2, Game version of Any Recently released action movie etc ( I will not even mention MMORPGs). That even they, with their massive teams and even more grandoise budgets cannot do better - are to afraid to - it seems unfair to place so much harsh judgement on one man who does and tries.

Atleast his games have an element of new gameplay and most definately new scenarios, so brilliantly done that they manage to draw you in without the help of any virtually displaced mapped, pixel shaded, stencil buffered (yet soft) shadowed, cubed mapped graphics. Perhaps you prefer the commercial method of recycling decades old stories and gameplay while simply giving them new facelifts and graphics, I cannot say I do. I would have expected this community to have not based all their judgement on mere graphics, making silly inflexible statements as 'I cannot play this game because it uses the engine of another, I am thirsty but I refuse to drink from that bowl as it reminds me of eating soup and thus will ruin my drinking experience.'. Imagination, creativity, flexibility..but I digress.

Then I suppose that you must dislike most all games, which you can be sure, more often than not liscenced some commonly used and time tested engine (i.e. unreal, quake etc). Even if the graphics of A4 are indeed recycled which seems a bit of a hasty conclusion considering the early state of development the game is in - creating artwork is one of the most time consuming portions of making any game - at least it is not the gameplay that is being recycled over and over again. Doom 3?

Surely you people do not mind risks? This is an indie, it is from the commercial that one expects the same rehashed gameplay for fear of innovations which will likely as not result in decreased revenue. Even if it will be real time, surely you must respect the competancy of Jeff and his ability to create new and interesting scenarios and gameplay settings with the new enviroment?

I apologize for the rant, I was simply taken aback by the nature of the majority of the responses. I will note that I currently do not consider this a continuation of the Avernum Trilogy, more some event that takes place in the (near?) future of the avernum universe. The empire, exiles, vahnatai struggle is over. I for one expect much from this game but will nonetheless be very hard to disappoint out of respect of ability, I am very much aware of how difficult it is to make a game. The programming is almost trivial compared to designing an interesting world with even fair story (hence the overfocus on graphics int Triple AAA titles). Most dont even try, Jeff does.

=======

About a possible new race, remember in the Isle of Bigail in the Spider Cave? There were some buildings and temples from some ancient advanced race who it was implied were neither vahnatai nor human or any known race for that matter.. A vanished people, I think

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 06:40: Message edited by: Red_Sage ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #89
quote:
Originally written by Red_Sage:

That even they, with their massive teams and even more grandoise budgets cannot do better - are to afraid to - it seems unfair to place so much harsh judgement on one man who does and tries.

I don't believe anyone here faults Jeff for his inability to acquire good graphics, sounds, etc. However, most of the criticisms have been geared toward the storyline and conceptual execution, which even a penniless author can create.

quote:

Perhaps you prefer the commercial method of recycling decades old stories and gameplay while simply giving them new facelifts and graphics, I cannot say I do. I would have expected this community to have not based all their judgement on mere graphics...

Sort of like Exile to Avernum? Oh wait, that's not a facelift?

As far as graphics criticisms, most of what I have read say that the earlier graphics in Exile are BETTER than the new shiny polished ones. It's not an issue of big budgets, etc.

quote:
[b]
Then I suppose that you must dislike most all games, which you can be sure, more often than not liscenced some commonly used and time tested engine (i.e. unreal, quake etc). Even if the graphics of A4 are indeed recycled which seems a bit of a hasty conclusion considering the early state of development the game is in - creating artwork is one of the most time consuming portions of making any game - at least it is not the gameplay that is being recycled over and over again. Doom 3?

[/b]

Because I'm testing, there are limits as to what I can say, but I agree graphics are expensive, and we generally don't fault him for that so long as they don't devolve. As far as the gameplay, well, I suggest waiting for the demo before striking praises that gameplay is not recycled.

quote:
[b]
Even if it will be real time, surely you must respect the competancy of Jeff and his ability to create new and interesting scenarios and gameplay settings with the new enviroment?

[/b]

It will be turn based, as Drakey said, can we stop debating this.

As far as Jeff creating new and interesting scenarios, I would have to disagree and many others would here too. GF1 was an excellent change, but the sequels tended to rehash what we already saw. Avernum was a remake, so there was very little new. DwtD for BoA (new and recent) was tepid at best. Jeff's best creative works have been done a long time ago (when Exile, Nethergate, and GF1 were being made), at this point it seems he is trying to squeeze as much as he can out of his old, tired ideas.

quote:
[b]
I apologize for the rant, I was simply taken aback by the nature of the majority of the responses. I will note that I currently do not consider this a continuation of the Avernum Trilogy, more some event that takes place in the (near?) future of the avernum universe. The empire, exiles, vahnatai struggle is over.

[/b]

Again, this is a premature judgment. What I can say is limited, but remember that Exile/Avernum have always been about beating stuff up, not storyline.

quote:
[b]
I for one expect much from this game but will nonetheless be very hard to disappoint out of respect of ability, I am very much aware of how difficult it is to make a game. The programming is almost trivial compared to designing an interesting world with even fair story (hence the overfocus on graphics int Triple AAA titles). Most dont even try, Jeff does.

[/b]

According to Jeff even, creating a good storyline is 1% of the effort and doing the programming is 99%. This is pretty close to what it actually is. Coming up with an idea is fairly easy compared to fleshing it out and doing all the grunt work to appropriately execute it.

quote:

About a possible new race, remember in the Isle of Bigail in the Spider Cave? There were some buildings and temples from some ancient advanced race who it was implied were neither vahnatai nor human or any known race for that matter.. A vanished people, I think

Would be cool, wouldn't it.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #90
I asked if I could get a discount on Avernum 4 since I have all the Avernum games and because it doesn't sound like it may be very popular. Of course, the response was that all sales are done after the game is released, not before (but Jeff mixed it up and said before/after! :P ).

Oh, and on a queer note, whenever I write him, I put my signature as:

"In the immaculate intentions of the Giant, Intelligent, Friendly, Talking Spiders, Your product-buying slave consumer item-purchasing thing, Christopher Fossedal"

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #91
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

In A1 or A2, in the spider tunnels west of the very start, you find a humanoid skeleton of some one who does not fit the descriptions of any known races. I'll look and see if I can find it. Maybe it was them. Personally, I'm sticking with my GIFTR idea.

EDIT: Found it, it's in A2.

"There is a mummified body suspended from one of the webs in this narrow passage. It has long since been sucked dry. Thinking there might be valuables concealed inside the cocoon, you look closer.

"Sure enough, you see a long, slender object, about a foot long, concealed under a few layers of webbing.

"You cut the webs away from the body and discover it was a humanoid of a race you've never seen before. He or she was very tall and impossibly thin, and its hair was pure white. The body has probably been here for a few months.

"In a pouch at its side, you find, several gold disks and a slender wand. Distracted from your curiosity about its origin by a burst of pure greed, you pocket the loot."

That sounds to me as adescription of vahnatai. Or wait, did they have hair?

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Well it can't be the Vanatai. That would just be rehashing AIII. Which would be folly. People would be howling for poor Jeff's head.
Because Jeff has never done something that made people howl for his head before.

quote:
Originally written by Red_Sage:

Perhaps you prefer the commercial method of recycling decades old stories and gameplay while simply giving them new facelifts and graphics, I cannot say I do.
I think you've fundamentally misunderstood the community's objections. As Stareye said, you may as well be describing Avernum itself. (And I *do* like Avernum more than Exile, but I like the Avernum graphics over the "improved" GF graphics.)

It's not the innovation that we're worried about; it's the lack thereof. The worry has been that he's just recycling stuff that has been done in previous GF and Avernum games. (GF graphics, A3 plot, etc.) Drakey says that he thinks that Jeff isn't doing this. I know a lot less about it than he does, so I'm willing to believe that for the moment, but I can't say that I'm completely confident.

[ Friday, August 26, 2005 09:54: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3618
Profile #93
I agree with everything Drakey's said.The engine has many features that were not in the Avernum or Geneforge series. Good features.The world is huge, with (I think) more detail of Avernum than we've ever seen before and probably stuff elsewhere as well. I think it'll prove to be the best setting Jeff's ever done.Trust Jeff; he knows how to do a plot. The game will not be "A3, underground". And I don't know where people got the idea of "monster plagues"--go and reread the information Jeff released.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by ThirdParty:

And I don't know where people got the idea of "monster plagues"--go and reread the information Jeff released.
quote:
All at once, everything has gone wrong. The savages and dark creatures of the lower tunnels, once beaten into submission, have returned. Gigantic beasts, shielded by powerful magic, have taken up residence in the cities, wandering and killing at random.
If you say that's not monster plagues, I'm assuming you have more information than we do, but you have to understand that it was reasonable to interpret that as monster plagues.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #95
Jeff needs to go ahead and make an Avernum game on each of the five continents of the surface, in my opinion. Playing the whole game in down in Exile/Avernum or in Valorim will be too repetitive.

Also, it seems to me that he should make the game more, shall we say, challenging. You know, harder monsters for a given level party, fewer and harder to get super-powerful weapons, less effective initial spells, and the such. He could encorage the trying of A1-3 before playing A4, and those of use who have been playing SWS games since 1996 (I'm not one of them, but still) can be tested and challenged.

Either that or make an effective variable difficulty system.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #96
quote:
Originally written by ben4808 [1950 - 2100:
]
Jeff needs to go ahead and make an Avernum game on each of the five continents of the surface, in my opinion. Playing the whole game in down in Exile/Avernum or in Valorim will be too repetitive.

There are four continents. Aizo, Pralgad, Vantanas and Valorim.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #97
Just so you know, Jeff has read this thread and scoffs at you.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #98
You know, re-reading that blurb reminds me of A2 much more than of A3, which is a good thing. Still, we shall see.

I'm assuming A4 uses scripts?

--------------------

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #99
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Just so you know, Jeff has read this thread and scoffs at you.
I want proof then.
;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages