Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #400
maybe the game should have some mighty spells, so hard to get like the mighty items.
so the game could have a lot of good spells but they would be hard to get, at least the best ones.
and a crazy idea that i thought was that the game could have some combat skills, something like the spells but not magic, like fight moves like someone said before, something like Diablo if you played it, cause one of the better things of geneforge was the variety of schools, but not in munber, though.
a last thing, if the game is all linked, the why a level 99999999...... monter could not get the town where you start playing and kill you?i guess that this could be easily fixed anyway, but still is funny to realize the easy that become killing the monsters that scourged ypu at the beggining of the game, now that you are level 50.and how the dungeons will be added?they will still be a apart map?or the houses floors?

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #401
And the incoherency award goes too...*drumroll*

^ That guy!

--------------------
Ignorwhat?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #402
As a representative of the Grammar and Punctuation Police, I honestly have no freakin' idea what chicho just said. And I tried to figure it out, I really did.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #403
quote:
Originally written by chicho, translated by Kelandon:

[M]aybe the game should have some [powerful] spells, [ones that are as] hard to get [as] the [artifacts are]. [In this way,] the game could have a lot of good spells[,] but they would be hard to get [(or at least the best ones would be)].

[A]nd a crazy idea that [I had] was that the game could have some combat skills, [like D&D feats; that is, "fight moves," if you will,] something like Diablo[.] [I think this would be cool be]cause one of the better things [about G]eneforge was the variety of schools [of magic, i.e. Battle Magic, Blessing Magic, etc. However, the number of different kinds isn't as important as how different the kinds are from each other.]

[One] last thing[:] if the game is all linked [i.e. no towns, as mentioned above], the[n] why [couldn't] a [high level monster] get [into] the town where you start playing and kill you? [I] guess that this could be [prevented easily, i.e. by keeping high level monsters far away from beginner areas,] but [it] still is funny to realize[, once you've become level 50, how easy it has become to kill] the monsters that [you had difficulty with] at the [beginning] of the game. [Oh, and] how [will] the dungeons be added? [Will they] still be [separate areas]? [What about the different floors of houses?]
Good lord.

In answer to part of this, dungeons are just additional towns. Everything really is linked. This doesn't cause nearly as much mayhem as you might think. Different floors are supported, which means that not everything is completely continuous, but it's much more so than the old AT.

I'm not really telling anything that you can't figure out based on Jeff's statements, so I assume I'm not violating the NDA.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #404
Well played. *places Grammar Policeman of the month award on Kel*

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 15:45: Message edited by: Bender Bending Rodriguez ]

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #405
oh well stupid punctuation!
i was writing fast...
i can't be perfect in grammar!
well if that happens again, please try to translate it or just don't read any...
i will read my topics before posting them from now on, i have so many errors sometimes...

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 17:28: Message edited by: chicho ]

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #406
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

i will read my topics before posting them from now on, i have so many errors sometimes...

Starting now?

In all seriousness, while we understand the difficulties of writing in a foreign language, there are some things that are the same in English and Spanish. Those are things like capitalization of the first letter of a sentence, a space after punctuation, some kind of recognizable paragraph division, and the like. Such simple things make your posts far more legible and save Kel from having to translate, which I don't think he'll do too often.

—Alorael, who would like to point out in any case that Jeff does not read these boards for suggestions and is unlikely to include any major revisions to the system he has worked out at this late date.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #407
Grammer be, stupid. Why Because I sayz it be.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #408
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

In answer to part of this, dungeons are just additional towns. Everything really is linked. This doesn't cause nearly as much mayhem as you might think. Different floors are supported, which means that not everything is completely continuous, but it's much more so than the old AT.
Why not? Why not simply have multiple layers within the engine and when the player moves up a "staircase", simply change the layer the player is currently on? I don't see why more engines don't do that. ;)

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I'm not really telling anything that you can't figure out based on Jeff's statements, so I assume I'm not violating the NDA.
An NDA? To not tell us how much the game rocks? That seems a little strange. :P

[ Monday, October 17, 2005 23:13: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #409
Well clearly A4 is already too far along the road for Jeff to incorporate people's ideas now (didn't he say he started writing it over a year ago?), but it's still nice to speculate about things people want in new games. And I expect A4 will have lots of cool stuff that people haven't really thought of, so there'll be lots to keep us occupied.

My guess is, it'll be ace. (Though admittedly I'm not a highly critical gamer.)

Okay, so I did it. I gave in and registered. Been a wanderer for a while now, and it's very amusing so I decided to join in. Before anyone says it, I didn't have much left for those turtles; a blue dog ran off with my sanity quite some time ago. Nice to meet you all!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #410
Welcome to SpiderWeb! If you have been around lurking, you will know the tradtional welcome, and I can't ask you to leave youre sanity at the door, since you already have. Welcome!

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #411
Welcome and may the almighty chicken gods be with you. The almighty chicken gods have sent you a message:

"We, the almighty chicken gods, like to see new faces. We hope you enjoy your stay, and don't be to scared of Thralni, our profet. He is quite harmless when you know him well, like we do. That is all."

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #412
I'm also beta-testing A4, as a representative Geneforge fan who never got into Avernum before, mainly because of the graphics barrier. In Jeff's market, I think we Geneforged whippersnappers may be important, even though most people on this list seem to be the other way 'round -- old Avernites, or even Exiled, who growl at the whole upstart Shaper world.
For what it's worth, though, my own initial reaction is that A4 is indeed quite different in feel from any of the GF series.

I won't be posting much here for quite a while, since the betatesting will absorb at least as much time as I can spare.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #413
Have fun.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #414
quote:
Originally written by Frobozz:

Why not? Why not simply have multiple layers within the engine and when the player moves up a "staircase", simply change the layer the player is currently on? I don't see why more engines don't do that. ;)
I am very confused about what you're saying here. It seems like you're saying, "Why doesn't he do what he's already doing?" The answer is: no reason, since he's already doing this.

quote:
An NDA? To not tell us how much the game rocks? That seems a little strange. :P
Not to reveal anything about the game whatsoever, actually, which seems a little less strange.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #415
I think what he meant with the staircases is that the layers are directly above the other layers and when you move up a staircase your view shifts to the new level.

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 09:12: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #416

You mean both are shown on the same view?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #417
Or maybe have one layer superimposed over the other, so you need special 3D glasses with polarizing lenses to play the game.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #418
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Basically you'd treat the upper layer as being part of the same map, just "above" the lower floor. Then when the player or a mob goes up, you only let things on that level affect them. I don't see why it would be so difficult to achieve. It also allows for stuff below the current level to continue "running" instead of having to wait for the player to go back down. :D

Edit: I was going to try to fake an example in BoA but it appears to be too stinking weak for it. :(

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 21:08: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #419
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

I think what he's saying, in technical terms, is that if the staircase on the first floor of a tower is at, say, X 600, Y 450 on the world map, then the staircase on the second floor leading back down to the first will be at X 600, Y 450 on the second floor of the world map (or to put it another way, X 600, Y 450, Z 1). In other words, the second floor of every building that has a second floor is part of the same map, since they're all at the same altitude.

I don't really see what gameplay advantages this could have, apart from the fact that if you had a way to fly ridiculously huge distances, you could get directly from the second floor of any building in the game to the second floor of any other building in the game without climbing downstairs.

[ Tuesday, October 18, 2005 21:40: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #420
quote:
Originally written by Accountability in Action:

quote:
Originally written by chicho:

Starting now?

In all seriousness, while we understand the difficulties of writing in a foreign language, there are some things that are the same in English and Spanish. Those are things like capitalization of the first letter of a sentence, a space after punctuation, some kind of recognizable paragraph division, and the like. Such simple things make your posts far more legible and save Kel from having to translate, which I don't think he'll do too often.

—Alorael, who would like to point out in any case that Jeff does not read these boards for suggestions and is unlikely to include any major revisions to the system he has worked out at this late date.

Hahahahaha. I loved this post, I swear to God. To me: it’s ok to have a bad grammar outside school, but chicho just takes it to a different extreme. According to him, he doesn't even READ his own post before posting them. Sure, using spell check on your post is not necessary, but I thought reading them was just plain common sense.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #421
Actually, I think Frobozz is suggesting that all areas could have three coordinates, so that your party could be at (10,10,1) in the Example Tower or one floor above at (10,10,2). It would require creative transparencies resulting in an appearance more or less identical to what we have already, but it would let two thing be on top of one another on the same map. The only real effect I could see is the occasional bridge you could walk over or under and monsters being able to go up and down more staircases that in the current Avernum system lead to different maps.

It's probably more trouble than Jeff thought it was worth.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind a few bridges, though. They could make for fun labyrinth puzzles!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #422
Those sorts of maps were featured in the action-RPG Nox (if anyone here played that), and leant itself to some rather distressing melees where your character was chased continuously by mimics.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #423
quote:
Originally written by Accountability out of Action:

It's probably more trouble than Jeff thought it was worth.
Quite. He also may not even use elevation in the game since Geneforge didn't seem to have it. ;)

I've also noticed a certain pattern to his game making. Every three or four games, he seems to take a new approach with his engine. This time around he seems to be taking some of the features from both the Avernum and Geneforge engines in certain ways. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. :D

[ Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:00: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #424
QUOTE]Hahahahaha. I loved this post, I swear to God. To me: it’s ok to have a bad grammar outside school, but chicho just takes it to a different extreme. According to him, he doesn't even READ his own post before posting them. Sure, using spell check on your post is not necessary, but I thought reading them was just plain common sense.[/QB][/QUOTE]
I'm bad in english grammar for god sakes!

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!

Pages