Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #475
I've caused a hijack extraordinaire here, but I have to add just one more:

"O Fortuna" is perfect for the Test of the Mind in E2/A2. It's not actually Orff's music that does it, though. It's the words. Sors imanis et inanis indeed. Nunc obdurat? Yes!

—Alorael, who thinks that most people who try that particular test do indeed, hear that subtle "mecum omnes plangite" and obey.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5969
Profile #476
The one where you have to push the rock? >< "Moriar, domine" also comes to mind. I don't remember exactly what that's from. But as long as we're quoting Latin... ^^;;;
And "Gaudeamus igitur" in the Tower of the Magi because it's the Tower of the Magi. Therefore, because it is the Tower of the Magi, and it exists, let us rejoice. =D

[ Tuesday, November 01, 2005 18:41: Message edited by: Explore the Surface Now ]

--------------------
A C, an E flat, and a G walk into the Tower of the Magi.
Ambrin runs up to them and says, "Hey, look! It's the Triad!"
Kelner snorts and says "Pretty minor Triad if you ask me."
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #477
All you talking about fantasy soundtracks obvoiusly don't know what you're talking about as you left out an entire genre of music. Power metal, people, wake up and kill the trolls! Also the style would go great with battles and dungeons, but only for people who like doing things quickly. (Very fast, and by that I mean faster than what you're thinking right now, no, faster than that...)

--------------------
I've remained focused on what i believe in, which is melodic metal. It's not just a passing phase, it's a way of life!
-Jon Schaffer

And when I laugh it's tears I hide
And when I cry it's joy inside
A foul disease has stained the land
The bitter harvest of a dying bloom
And when I cry it's joy inside
A wicked smile for all the tears I hide
It hurts to hold all the pain I feel
The bitter harvest of a dying bloom
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #478
I happily play at work because there is no music. It seems genius to not include music given that most responses to the hijack differ. Plug in a CD and listen to whatever.

*this message sponsored by napster*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #479
quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

All you talking about fantasy soundtracks obvoiusly don't know what you're talking about as you left out an entire genre of music. Power metal, people, wake up and kill the trolls! Also the style would go great with battles and dungeons, but only for people who like doing things quickly. (Very fast, and by that I mean faster than what you're thinking right now, no, faster than that...)
Well, perhaps I found the solution why I find all kinds of Metal awful: I just like doing things slowly. And by slowly, I mean... slowly. Walk around. Talk to people. Take a short break, take notes about what I just saw - so that I can quickly find things again if I need them. I play Avernum rather like I play Myst. :)

Also, has anyone brought up Vangelis yet? Chariots of Fire? Conquest of Paradise?

In noreni peripe, in noreni cora,
tiramine peritone domina.
I romine tirmeno, neromine tofa!
Imaginas promeno per imenti ra...

Go on, try to translate. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #480
For a truly tormentful experience, listen to Philip Glass's Glassworks while lost in the Honeycomb. Especially the tracks "Floe" and "Rubric," over and over again.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #481
quote:
by Aran: ...

In noreni peripe, in noreni cora,
tiramine peritone domina.
I romine tirmeno, neromine tofa!
Imaginas promeno per imenti ra...
:P You know, it would help if it would be written in greek letters. It sounds to me just like blabla.
"Eìne orèo na peripatò, eìne orèo sto chorò ..." on the other hand would mean something like: "It's beautiful to go for a walk; it's beautiful to dance ...". Arrh, I gave up after the first line -_-

:) "O Fortuna" for mind test and "Glassworks" for the Honeycomb make perfect sense. "Gaudeamus Igitur" on the other hand would keep me and probably everybody else away from ToM. That tower must be a quiet place of silence and science.

*Tries to cast out "Gaudeamus igitur" with "The miraculous Mandarin" from Bartòk.* Hmm ... battle music, again ^_^

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #482
Those words are actually Latin. Well, no. Those words are actually faux Latin. That's why they don't quite make sense. Any resemblance to Greek is strictly coincidental and/or forced.

If you think Conquest of Paradise has any dignity left, watch Conquest of Animutopia.

—Alorael, who would point to two of his recent monikers (one from before Noreni and one from after) if it were not against his policy to revisit old monikers.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #483
quote:
Originally written by Lrl:

Those words are actually Latin. Well, no. Those words are actually faux Latin. That's why they don't quite make sense. ...

o_o Oh. Hm, do they have a translation or is it only fantasy language?

I'm not familiar with the Conquest of Paradise but I enjoyed the Conquest of Animutopia - thank you, lrl ( :D had to watch three times to get all the LOLs). Though I couldn't find out what Colin Mochrie has to do with Vangelis, I finally heard this famous composer of artificially sweetened humanity.
Aran, I'm shocked. :P Now I doubt somehow the superiority of your music taste.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #484
quote:
Originally written by Halloweenorael:

The music from Exile 1 is Bach.

—Alorael, who has found that Brandenburg Concertos go well with slithzerikai. Mozart, however, has more of a chitrach touch. Dvo?ák provides the perfect ambience for a meeting with the vahnatai (New World indeed!). Telemann and Tallis go best with nephilim, and wandering the civilized areas of Avernum is best accompanied with the more civilized pieces of Vivaldi (the surface is more of a Haydn area). There is nothing strange about this passage.

Finnaly somebody who understand it. yes, the Exile 1 music is Bach. Thanks to Eagle, I'm now working on a remake for orchestra of the Exile 1 Bach version. Does anybody know exactly the name of this fuge of Bach?

Personnaly, I would like to see (hear) it this way:

introduction screen: fourth movement of Dvozak's eight symphony.
When you die: Gotterdamerung by Wagner.
Chased by monsters: Die Walküre by Wagner.
in a boat, on a river: Die fliegende Hollander Ouvertüre by Wagner.
In the Vahnatai lands: Exile 1 music (Bach).
At Nephilim: music from the musical "Cats."
At the Slithezerikai: Rachmaninov's first symphony.
At the Chitrachs: Something of Händle. Maybe "Rejoice Greatly, O daughter of Zion"?
For one or all of the Vahnatai tests: Khachaturian's saber dance!

That's all I can think about for now.

By the way, not everything in O Fortuna is actually Latin. parts are in old French and German. Again, when stuck in the honeycomb, I would listen to Die Walküre of Wagner.

[ Thursday, November 03, 2005 05:55: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #485
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

quote:
Originally written by Lrl:

Those words are actually Latin. Well, no. Those words are actually faux Latin. That's why they don't quite make sense. ...

o_o Oh. Hm, do they have a translation or is it only fantasy language?

It is not even a fantasy language, really, because even a fantasy language ought to have a real vocabulary and grammar. As it is, they are just random Latin-like syllables stuck together to make a nice sound.

If you hear the piece, you'll know why - the choir acts a bit as a musical instrument itself. They could just as well sing a string of "Aaahs" and "Ooohs", but that wouldn't be quite so mysterious.

[ Thursday, November 03, 2005 06:03: Message edited by: NaNoWriMo ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #486
You know, as far as music goes, I like to put on Blue Oyster Cult's 'Godzilla' and then send my Slith in to battle.

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Helpless people on a subway train
Scream for God as he looks in on them

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town

Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Godzilla ga Ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan ****e kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan ****e kudasai!

Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Godzilla!

As you can see, it is quite fitting to a rampaging Slith turned loose to commit mayhem.

Bonus points for style if you can throw a fireball or two while rampaging.

--------------------
The face leaping spiders of today are the brain sucking Vlish of tomorrow.
Apprentice
Member # 6437
Profile #487
A post about Avernum AND Wagner.. hmm.. must reply.
The two really dosnt mix well. The only two clever uses of wagner i can think of is in Apocalypse Now and Bunuels "obscure object of desire". Both using very distinct and autonomous blocks from die walkure, sharing the dark erotism and utilizing a lot of irony.

And by extension of this would any use of romantic music seem clumsy. It may work in big, cinematic projects, warcraft, hollywood designed for thoughtless immersion.And even then they have to use it as pastiche.

Bach, i like. goes with everything. And it fits the way i normally play spiderweb games perfectly, mode of conscience etc. If any music should be included again it should be more bach. More pieces and more tempo variations. And maybe haydn..hmm

(uhh.. it takes forever for me to write in english. could write ALOT more about the proper use of wagner but...and if someone would listen wagner while playing no problem, i just must object to the idea of having it included in the game)
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #488
:) Hi Mads, welcome to Spiderweb Boards! Leave your sanity at the door and enjoy this hilarious place of happy spammers.

What is your native language then? (If you didn't mention it I never had the idea that it would not be English.)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #489
quote:
Originally written by Mads:

Bach, i like. goes with everything. And it fits the way i normally play spiderweb games perfectly, mode of conscience etc. If any music should be included again it should be more bach. More pieces and more tempo variations. And maybe haydn..hmm
But Haydn's music is always so hard to find.

Because it's Haydn, you see.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #490
When you find it, it must be a Miracle (Symphony)!

—Alorael, who would like to know what accent makes that pun acceptable.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #491
meh, just get John Williams.
he's pretty good.

im surpirised that alorael hasnt gotten more than 10k posts by now :P

edit: thuryl : doh... thats painful

[ Thursday, November 03, 2005 15:05: Message edited by: Zamorak ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #15 Wash your hands!!

That's skrange.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP, cleanfast productions co, inc)(Dgjzxachk)(Lord Pibble)
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #492
Nothing could. Moderators should bastinado you both.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #493
"Gone Choppin, be Bach in thirty minutes."

--------------------
The face leaping spiders of today are the brain sucking Vlish of tomorrow.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #494
Don't you mean "minuets?" :P

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #495
It's easier to type these puns if you've got a Handel on the Dvorak keyboard, you know.

—Alorael, who feels like he is soiling the names of great men. (John WIlliams writes good stuff, but he's not quite the same caliber. Give him a few hundred years and see what popular opinion has to say then, though. Many artists aren't recognized in their own lifetimes.)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #496
I really like John Williams. His pieces are generally extremely difficult to play (at least for my orchestra), but I like it. Mads, don't you picture this: Somewhere in a swamp, zombies and skeletons crwal out of their graves, then, Die Walküre of Wagner starts playing, you run away, in terror, filled with fear, you come to the end of the swamp and music dies down. You look around you and see you are in a beautiful forest, the Meistersinger von Nürnberg starts to play. Or, if you died, you hear the Gotterdamerung of Wagner. Its extremely dramatic. Or, when the skeletons start to rize out of their graves, there you hear it! Its the Dans macabre of Saint seans.

I could go on like this for quite some time. Just use your imagination. Of course, our tastes may differ too.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!

Pages