Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #25
I also felt that way about the Avernum graphics, but ultimately I think I'll be able to see through the new graphics and appreciate the storyline.

The Geneforge graphics are "bulkier" and give a feeling of density when on screen, whereas the Avernum ones were lighter, this added some elegance to them and the space around them.

I certainly understand the feeling of those disappointed by the Geneforge look of Avernum, it must feel like a brick in the face. But I also think the game will make the nostalgic player forget that as he gets his first mission in Averum and eventually gets sucked into the storyline.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 05:37: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by R & D & B:

The spell system is "massively improved," which can only mean good things.
With Avernum and Geneforge as its predecessors, I have very little hope indeed that the spell system will even approach Exile quality.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #27
Am I the only one wholly looking forward to this thing? I've looked around, and it all sounds good. Better graphics, turn-based movement (thank you Lord), still based in Avernum. Excellent. And the bit that seems to worry me the most isn't definate. We don't know monster plagues exist. And there are certainly more than one race of the underworld... demons, sliths and vahnatai all come from down *there*.

Plus, with the spell system being reworked and "something everyone wanted" being implemented (thanks Drakey), it looks like we'll have lots of cool fireworks. And they might even include area spells!

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #28
your not alone i have been looking foward to it to ^.^

--------------------
polaris c'mon you know you want to
Avernum4 Averforge
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #29
I'm rather excited about it too. The screenshots are very preliminary, and judging the game on them now is like judging a book yet to be released based on a rough draft of the third chapter. Jeff likely will not use the GF models in his game. I do, however, think that moving to the more substantive looking graphics for A4 is a good move. I also look forward to the possibility of area-effect spells - down with rays!

Give him a chance, guys! His games are what brought us together here to begin with.
Apprentice
Member # 6214
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
If the storyline is as good as the previous games of the Exile/Avernum series, then I guess graphics won't really matter.
Exactly. I'm confused as to why everyone's so sure the plot will be awful when the plots of all the previous Avernum/Exile games were all amazing. One reason I get so into it is because I love the story. I love its continuity, I love its premise, I love the way it develops over the course of a game, but I particularly love what happened over the course of the trilogy. I find Jeff a master at spinning an engrossing story, but it seems everyone is dooming it and predicting it'll be exactly like E/A3 just because there are monster plagues, even though we all know Jeff is capable of making a REALLY good story.

(One detail I love from the press release, by the way, is how Avernum was described as a haven for those who want to be free from the dogma of the Empire. Like since Exiles were given land on the surface, Avernum serves an alternate purpose. And personally, I see no reason for the Empire to be an ally with what has become Avernum. The Avernites were granted land on the surface at the end of A3, predictably they moved there seeing as the sentiment of wanting to be up on the surface seemed everpresent in Exile. Time passes, and surface-folk who don't like the Empire move down to Avernum to escape totalitariansim. They're not the same people who saved Valorim (technically "Avernites" but not REALLY), so why should the Empire have any allegiance with them? Seems like they'd be opposing forces. I can delete this whole aside if it's inappropriate for the thread. Just speculation.)
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #31
i like the new grapics looks like the slith and and seeing GF grapics in avernum is going to be weird

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:35: Message edited by: Grape slime ]

--------------------
Avernum4 Averforge
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #32
Its not I think that most of us really hate it all, i think that there will be many good things too, also the speculations that it will be some monster plague again can turn out to be interesting.

The "again" part actually isn't really appropriate, is it. We had Avernum 1,2,3 and BoA, and only in Av 3, there were monster plagues. Also in the pre-made BoA scenario's I can't rememebr a monster plagues (only in Diplomacy with the dead there was an undead plague).

What i hope, is that there will be some dilemma. i'll continue a bit with what was mentioned before: Empire against Avernum, no allies. what if you, a spie in the Avernite army, have been captured and The Empire tries to get you to work for them or something?

Why should there actually be an other empire story. Why can't it be something completely different? how do we know that all these monsters have to do with the Empire or vahnatai. actually, when you think about it, it doesn't make any sense.

I still am disappointed with the graphics. i hope jeff would AT LEAST make different character graphics, and not use these geneforge shaper things.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

I still am disappointed with the graphics. i hope jeff would AT LEAST make different character graphics, and not use these geneforge shaper things.
Read what Drakey had to say...

"The graphics are nowhere near finished - the reason the human PCs look like Shapers and Guardians is because it was easier to make them fit this graphics format than make Avernum graphics fit it or create new ones from scratch. There will be many new graphics in future versions. Also, Avernum graphics are worse than GF and Exile graphics.

Also, the engine is very, very different. In my opinion, it combines the better elements of the Avernum and Geneforge series. Movement is turn-based, and combat displays the grid like the previous Avernums. The spell system is massively improved, and there are some things that everyone wanted that are in there.

As for plot, so far it's a mystery game

Also, I can't believe that most of you are judging the game based on preliminary screenshots."

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 07:03: Message edited by: SupaNik ]

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #34
What exactly is turn based? Like that when you move (and ONLY when you move) the enemy movies? If its that what you mean, I could appreciate the game.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

What exactly is turn based? Like that when you move (and ONLY when you move) the enemy movies? If its that what you mean, I could appreciate the game.
It means turn-based, i.e you move then they do. Like the original Avernums/Exiles. Not like Geneforge.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #36
References to turn-based combat mean the same combat system we know and love in the Avernum/Exile series.

The one thing over and above all others that I hope Jeff will preserve from the other Avernums is a character's ability to take an entire action (attack, spell, what have you) when that character has at least one action point. I find the Geneforge series' take on action points to be extremely frustrating.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #37
Phew. now I know this, i give a green light and am looking forward actually to see Avernum 4, although i still doubt about the graphics (not only the character grahpics, which will be improved anyway).

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by primaryism:

Exactly. I'm confused as to why everyone's so sure the plot will be awful when the plots of all the previous Avernum/Exile games were all amazing.
Recall the over-arching plot of A3: someone's created monster plagues. Go and kill a bunch of stuff. Oh, and it was the vahnatai. Why? Because they're still mad about the same thing as before.

Don't get me wrong: the individual pieces of A3 were very entertaining. Lorelei and Gale were probably two of the best cities Jeff ever made. I found the troglo/giant missions extremely fun. However, it's hard to argue that the bigger plot of A3 was any good at all.

More generally: as far as judging things by preliminary screenshots, well, it's the interface that I'm looking at. If he's going to redo everything we see in that screenshot, then why release this screenshot at all? I'm guessing that it will look enough like that screenshot that my gut reaction will remain the same.

Anyway, I'm curious about size. Do we have any idea whether this is more on the size of A1/A2 or closer to A3?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
someone's created monster plagues. Go and kill a bunch of stuff. Oh, and it was the vahnatai. Why? Because they're still mad about the same thing as before.
If that's all there is, I'll eat my hat. I believe it will be far more in-depth and far less Vahnatai-oriented than you think.

As for the interface, it feels much better than GF, but nowhere near the squeaky cleanliness of Exile III and BoE (Jeff's best two games gameplay-wise, IMO).

As for size, it will be bigger than Avernum 1, but more than that it's hard to say right now.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #40
Well, to be fair, you'd be hard-pressed to find a full-length RPG that doesn't feature some sort of monster plague. Else, how does one explain why civilization has allowed all those random encounter monsters to trapse about?

Random monster encounters definitely are a poor excuse for content, but they definitely do in a pinch to help with character level building, which IMO plays a more important role in larger games (for purposes of both balance and plot) than in shorter scenarios, where the writer can just dictate a character level and be unconcerned with how powerful the party is at the end.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:34: Message edited by: Drew ]
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #41
monster plagues are cool but not the whole game about monster plagues i like small side quests and stuff, but is dosent make the game any less if there is a monster plague or 2

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:50: Message edited by: Grape slime ]

--------------------
Avernum4 Averforge
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #42
I'll give the demo a try, but I don't think I'll go out of my way for this one.

The 8 hot bottons (I believe thats what they are) look interesting.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

quote:
someone's created monster plagues. Go and kill a bunch of stuff. Oh, and it was the vahnatai. Why? Because they're still mad about the same thing as before.
If that's all there is, I'll eat my hat. I believe it will be far more in-depth and far less Vahnatai-oriented than you think.

Drakey, read my post again and see if you can figure out what's wrong with your response.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #44
I would like to see both ray type spells and area affect spells. Fireball, area effect, ice dart-- ray, etc. Make it a little more varied.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
Interface: I don't see what makes the interface so terribly Geneforge, and I'm one of the ones who won't register and play Geneforge. It has quick slots for spells and items. It has Geneforge graphics. That seems to be it, as far as I can tell.

Plot: Be fair to Jeff. E3/A3 was his only monster plague game. Everybody likes Nethergate's plot, and I haven't heard many complaints against Geneforge because its plot is too mindless. Don't judge the entire plot by the preview blurb. E3/A3's problem really is that the preliminary plot is the entire thing. You find out that there are monster plagues in the very beginning, and you stop them. There aren't any twists or complexities.

Graphics: I still think being able to tell the difference between a slith warrior, a nephil, and a goblin (Nethergate/A1 peach variety) will be refreshing. You know there will be new graphics. Geneforges 1-3 have many creations, but most don't fit into the previous Avernum games (they can be made to fit A4...) and many of Avernum's creatures don't have graphics yet. You Avernum graphics lovers are nuts. No, really!

Kel: Drakey's response seems reasonable. You expressed fear of a vague, unenthralling plot with implausibly motivated villains. Drakey has at least suggested that it won't be that bad.

—Alorael, who is looking forward to A4. It will be turn based. It will be Spiderweb. That puts it in the category of things he registers and enjoys.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Last Light:

Kel: Drakey's response seems reasonable. You expressed fear of a vague, unenthralling plot with implausibly motivated villains.
Primaryism said that all of the previous JV plots have been great. I was saying that A3's plot wasn't. This makes no predictions about A4.

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by primaryism:

quote:
If the storyline is as good as the previous games of the Exile/Avernum series, then I guess graphics won't really matter.
Exactly. I'm confused as to why everyone's so sure the plot will be awful when the plots of all the previous Avernum/Exile games were all amazing. One reason I get so into it is because I love the story. I love its continuity, I love its premise, I love the way it develops over the course of a game, but I particularly love what happened over the course of the trilogy. I find Jeff a master at spinning an engrossing story, but it seems everyone is dooming it and predicting it'll be exactly like E/A3 just because there are monster plagues, even though we all know Jeff is capable of making a REALLY good story.

He makes a good setting. Exile, Nethergate, and Geneforge all take place in excellent settings.

He makes the occasional good premise. E1 and E2 have cool premises, and even E3 isn't too bad, as far as taking back the surface is concerned - too bad it didn't turn out to be about that. GF1 was also pretty good.

He makes the occasional good dilemma. A Small Rebellion (take 1) was good. GF 1 was good. On the other hand, Diplomacy with the Dead was lousy.

He has not ever made a good story.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

As for the interface, it feels much better than GF, but nowhere near the squeaky cleanliness of Exile III and BoE (Jeff's best two games gameplay-wise, IMO).

As for size, it will be bigger than Avernum 1, but more than that it's hard to say right now.

Okay, I'll bite. What do you believe, what do you know, and why do you believe that?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #49
A4 is in preliminary beta testing. That means a few core beta testers (Drakey, Stareye) have it, even though the big beta call hasn't gone out yet.

Much of it is incomplete, which is why Drakey is uncertain about some of this stuff (and why the graphics are not final). However, enough is in place that he can give the answers that he has. That's how he knows what he knows.

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 15:14: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Pages