Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #50
Drakey and Stareye must love there job beta testing avernum 4 ;)

--------------------
polaris c'mon you know you want to
Avernum4 Averforge
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #51
And after all this, all the directions are still weirdly rotated clockwise 45 degrees.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty good. It definately needs to be turn-based, as that's just how Spiderweb games are. I'm sure the plot will be quite interesting, whatever it is. It is a whole game, you know, so I don't know if you guys are expecting a supersized VoDT or something. :P

As for the monster plagues, some are interesting and good, but the whole game shouldn't revolve around them. Well, more than once, anyway. New and creating main missions as well as sidequests are required to make this game much of a success.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #52
If it's not turn-based, it's going to be hideous, in all probability. Spiderweb games just don't lend themself to real-time. I guess, as far as story goes, we'll just have to wait and see, but this person thinks that the Vahnatai definitely did it.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #53
I'll give the demo a shot but I have a feeling that I wont bother to get the full game. I personally am an Avernum fan (eg. the graphics, the wierd directions etc) but if this game doesn't do it for me I may have to get BoE and try out the E4 that was made on that.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #54
Technically, At the Gallows is not Exile 4. But it might as well be. Plus, it's better than any of the official Exiles.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #55
i dont know but my post count is allmost at 100! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

[ Wednesday, August 24, 2005 21:07: Message edited by: Grape slime ]

--------------------
Avernum4 Averforge
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #56
I smell a canning coming.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #57
quote:
Originally written by Last Light:

Plot: Be fair to Jeff. E3/A3 was his only monster plague game. Everybody likes Nethergate's plot, and I haven't heard many complaints against Geneforge because its plot is too mindless. enjoys.

Geneforge's plot is not so much mindless as it is rehashed, repetitive and dull. Given that the last plots that Jeff crafted were Geneforge 3 and Diplomacy with the Dead, I don't hold out much hope for A4.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

I smell a canning coming.
Heres hoping.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #59
To do people standing up, the directions have to be tilted, or else some sides would never be seen, and it would be impossible to move behind walls, trees, etc.

It is turn-based.

Kel, what you described did not seem like a description of Avernum 3. And Avernum 4 does not have "monster plagues."

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #60
I hope Jeff keeps his promise and adds new character graphics, then. Other graphics could be recycled, but it would be annoying to see Geneforge characters in Avernum.

The story is pretty much unknown so far, so I won't comment it.
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #61
Avernum 4 sounds (so far) real great! I've been waiting for it ever since BoA. The story is a compleate mystery but I hope it's good. Jeff can be a wonderful storyteller if he gets into it enough (But anyone who's played Exile 2 and 3 knows that), so I don't think we'll have a problem there. Graphics? Well, if he recycles some of the old ones that would be fine with me. But the characters could use some changing. The idea of area spells and the reconstuction of the spell engine certainly sounds interesting. I'm quite glad Jeff is continuing the series, even if the game is a dud. It shows he has determination and the will to go on with it. And besides, it wouldn't be fair to the fans if he didn't :D .

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #62
true but isn't G4 and A4 the last games Jeff makes? or dose Jeff have an idea foris a A5? well i like geneforge i dont see what harm geneforgeing avernum would do so im looking foward to avernum4

EDIT: typos

[ Thursday, August 25, 2005 07:49: Message edited by: Grape slime ]

--------------------
Avernum4 Averforge
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #63
I predict that the GIFTR did it. The cheeky little roaches came to Avernum looking for acceptance and when they didn't get it they turned to evil.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #64
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Also, I can't believe that most of you are judging the game based on preliminary screenshots.
You should be ashamed of yourself for making this statement. This board is exciting because of the judgements that are mostly based on something less than a hunch. As sickened as I was that most of the comments were negative (initially), I would have been equalling distressed if all the comments were laudatory.

*this message sponsored by the rakshasi*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #65
quote:
Originally written by Grape slime:

true but isn't G4 and A4 the last games Jeff makes? or dose Jeff have an idea foris a A5? well i like geneforge i dont see what harm geneforgeing avernum would do so im looking foward to avernum4
Jeff never states his ideas more than a game or two in advance, but since making these games seems to be his primary source of income, an end isn't exactly plausible. A5 is quite likely if A4 sells well. I haven't heard definite intimations of another Geneforge, but that seems possible as well. And maybe, just maybe, there will be a completely new game soon!

Don't hold your breath, though.

quote:
EDIT: typos
Thanks for the warning, but maybe you can fix them next time?

—Alorael, who can see how Geneforges 2 and 3 are rehashes, but isn't 1 fairly original, at least as far as fantasy RPGs go? The demo is solid, at least.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Kel, what you described did not seem like a description of Avernum 3. And Avernum 4 does not have "monster plagues."
It damn well did.

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Recall the over-arching plot of A3: someone's created monster plagues. Go and kill a bunch of stuff. Oh, and it was the vahnatai. Why? Because they're still mad about the same thing as before.
People, please stop saying Jeff writes good stories. It hurts me in the soul.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #67
Jeff makes good settings and good game mechanics. A1 has virtually no plot, so it rides on its nice setting. A2 has a plot that disappears quickly, but the setting is still just fine. A3 leaves the Avernum setting and has a plot, but it's a bad one. Nethergate has a decent plot and a good background. I'm not qualified to speak about Geneforge, but the plot doesn't seem disastrous to me (although it does seem repeated, as Kel seems to have noted).

One out of four is forgiveable. Three out of seven is uglier, if that's how you view Geneforge, but still better than 50%. One out of four BoA scenarios (AMR may not be a shining jewel, but it's perfectly fine) is ugly, but all that shows is that Jeff should leave the short plots to others.

—Alorael, who is perfectly happy to play games for the background. Avernum has a good one. If A4 capitalizes on it, even if the plot isn't great, it can be a great game.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #68
Exile I was new and novel.

Exile II had the most original and fun plot.

Exile III was a bit loopy, but still new (the surface! Wow!)

I liked VoDT and ASR, ZKR and DwtD not so much.

Geneforge 1 was new and novel all over again, GF2 started to feel rehashed, and GF3 was rehashed.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #69
It's the Slith. You know, the ancient buried race. Only they aint so peaceful any more. Something tragic probably happened down there in the depths where the peaceful Slith are hiding, and now they are going to claim the upper tunnels.

--------------------
The face leaping spiders of today are the brain sucking Vlish of tomorrow.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #70
We can always use more speculation on what the plot will be. :D

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #71
Well it can't be the Vanatai. That would just be rehashing AIII. Which would be folly. People would be howling for poor Jeff's head.

So, that pretty much leaves the Slith. Remember, they too, have powerful mages and are adept at magical ability.

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #72
In A1 or A2, in the spider tunnels west of the very start, you find a humanoid skeleton of some one who does not fit the descriptions of any known races. I'll look and see if I can find it. Maybe it was them. Personally, I'm sticking with my GIFTR idea.

EDIT: Found it, it's in A2.

"There is a mummified body suspended from one of the webs in this narrow passage. It has long since been sucked dry. Thinking there might be valuables concealed inside the cocoon, you look closer.

"Sure enough, you see a long, slender object, about a foot long, concealed under a few layers of webbing.

"You cut the webs away from the body and discover it was a humanoid of a race you've never seen before. He or she was very tall and impossibly thin, and its hair was pure white. The body has probably been here for a few months.

"In a pouch at its side, you find, several gold disks and a slender wand. Distracted from your curiosity about its origin by a burst of pure greed, you pocket the loot."

[ Thursday, August 25, 2005 18:28: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #73
You also find traces of an ancient civilisation in AIII in Upper Avernum.

Could be.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #74
Maybe Jeff might use totally new race and shock us all...maybe not. I mean, A4 is only in it's baby stages now it seems.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison

Pages