Avernum 4?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #425
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

You mean both are shown on the same view?

I think what he's saying, in technical terms, is that if the staircase on the first floor of a tower is at, say, X 600, Y 450 on the world map, then the staircase on the second floor leading back down to the first will be at X 600, Y 450 on the second floor of the world map (or to put it another way, X 600, Y 450, Z 1). In other words, the second floor of every building that has a second floor is part of the same map, since they're all at the same altitude.

I don't really see what gameplay advantages this could have, apart from the fact that if you had a way to fly ridiculously huge distances, you could get directly from the second floor of any building in the game to the second floor of any other building in the game without climbing downstairs.

This is exactly what happens. With an above and below in some cases.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #426
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

I'm bad in english grammar for god sakes!
I believe you.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #427
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

I believe you.

Now that's mean (*laughs quietly*). I suck at english grammar as well. However, I try to at least read my post before posting them.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #428
Laughing quietly is just as mean, Marlenny. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 6093
Profile #429
i think that cause of the geneforge engine it will lose the traditional avernum feel and the genforge-ish graphics just won't be the same to the avernum graphics i love so muc.
i just hope it's turn-based but i would definatly prefer to play A4 with the avernum engine, or a new engine but not a geneforge-based engine.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #430
quote:
Originally written by Marlenny:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

I believe you.

Now that's mean (*laughs quietly*). I suck at english grammar as well. However, I try to at least read my post before posting them.

quote:
Originally written by son_of_the_clayr:

i think that cause of the geneforge engine it will lose the traditional avernum feel and the genforge-ish graphics just won't be the same to the avernum graphics i love so muc.
i just hope it's turn-based but i would definatly prefer to play A4 with the avernum engine, or a new engine but not a geneforge-based engine.

Sweet irony. :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #431
quote:

It's a completely new engine.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 6218
Profile #432
quote:

Read some of the past pages this thread. Also read this interview, it will basically give all the answers that we are allowed to know atm.
http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/657/657741p1.html
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #433
The engine is not the Avernum engine. It does not have the same old Avernum feel.

The engine is not the Geneforge engine either. It is based on the Geneforge engine, but the changes are rather significant. One of the most immediately obvious ones is the fact that A4 is turn-based, as has been said.

Once again, I think you have to be crazy to like Avernum's graphics. The terrain and objects looked fine, but characters and monsters were ugly. The new graphics fix that. No, the game does not end up looking just like Geneforge.

—Alorael, who finds nothing more wonderful than regaining the ability to tell the difference between a nephil and a slith warrior. Actually being able to tell that nephilim look like cats and that sliths are lizards is pretty nice too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #434
We need a FAQ topic that is stuck at the top and have the first question be about Geneforge graphics. Doesn't anybody actually read before they complain about them?! :P

I just wish that Jeff would for once put the Windows one out first. I'm dying to try it. Oh well - maybe I'll get a shot at beta testing. :D

[ Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:28: Message edited by: Frobozz ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #435
So in A4 there is no outdoors...but then how large will the world be? Considering that 1 outdoor square is a whole indoor map...
And there will be elevation in A4 right?
I'm pleased that the game stay turn based anyway... ;)

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #436
The world is probably at least twice the size of Avernum 2 and there is no elevation.

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #437
Jeff keeps saying its huge, but then he always does.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #438
And he is always right.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #439
No elevation? That I really find something disturbing. So you won't be able to walk up a spiraling, dark, ancient crypt stairs, were the tension almost grows unbearable, and you wouldn't see big castles on hill anymore? How ridiculous.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #440
FYI: the elevation-topic.

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #441
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain what an 'engine' actually is/does regarding these games? I can see the obvious differences in appearance between Avernum and Geneforge, and I assume that's to do with the engine, and now that there's a new one for A4 everyone is discussing how this will affect how different the game will be from previous ones. Is it some sort of 'blueprint'... or something comparable to an operating system, so that comparing A3 to A4 is a bit like comparing OS 9 to OS X?

(No need to explain what all the differences are; I guess that's what half this thread is about.)

[ Friday, October 21, 2005 06:34: Message edited by: Thin Air ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #442
That's a pretty good analogy. The engine is the system that runs the game. The plot, dialogue, specific monsters and items, and so on are not part of the engine, but how dialogue, monsters, items, spells, movement, and so on work are the engine.

—Alorael, who would say comparing the mechanics of Geneforge and Avernum and Exile 3 and Exile 1 gives you a fair idea of what different engines can be. A4 is the Geneforge engine heavily modified to become more like Avernum, which results in an engine that really isn't like either one.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #443
To put it more succinctly, engine is a game's form as distinct from its content. Every Blades of Avernum scenario, by necessity, uses the same engine -- if you change all of the towns, dialogue, terrain, monsters, items, and other changeable things from one scenario to another, the engine is all of the stuff that they still have in common.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #444
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

The world is probably at least twice the size of Avernum 2 and there is no elevation.
No elevation? What a (bleep)!

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #445
Yeah, that is pretty rotten. One of my favorite things about Nethergate and the Avernum games was the more 3D feel — staircases, towers, balconies, etc.

And one of my least favorite things about the Geneforge games was the Flatland feel.

Bah.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #446
Perhaps they have lost the ability to build anything more than 1 cm off the ground. Fear of hieghts? :)

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #447
will we be able to finally put music in the game or will jeff have some music put in for gameplay?

also can we minimize avernum 4? all the rest that ive used on my pc wouldnt minimize

--------------------
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #448
You can always play your own music. Jeff has explained why he doesn't provide music before (download size, mainly) and nothing has changed.

Since the beta is for Mac, PC questions are a little tough to answer.

—Alorael, who is quite happy to slay sliths, gouge goblins, break brigands, annihilate aranea, and... nihilate nephilim to the soothing sounds of "Rage Over a Lost Penny."
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #449
quote:
Originally written by Anomen:

will we be able to finally put music in the game or will jeff have some music put in for gameplay?
At least I like the Avernum background music, I don't know why but I like how simple it is.
If you listen carefully you could notice that the sound effects effects of avernum are used in almost every movie.
I heard the "drop of water falling in the cave floor" sound about 1000 times

[ Monday, October 24, 2005 17:26: Message edited by: chicho ]

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!

Pages