Episode 3: A New Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Episode 3: A New Game
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #600
Synergy was bitten by a wererat. And we all know what happens when you're bitten by a lycanthropic. . .

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #601
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
The Misc. Forum isn't exactly empty...
Tyranicus hardly counts, he's in and out so much. :P

Either you're forgetting someone, or Ephesos isn't as dead as I thought.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

*winces* Dikiyoba was working on Chapter 13 at the time and so had a Chapter 13 mindset.
I assume this means that Ephesos really is alive. (The rat giving report might have thought he was dead. Or it just didn't want to face the consequences of telling its boss about complete failure.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #602
I'm more inclined to go with the face saving viewpoint. Still it might be true. Only the next chapter will tell, although that is more likely to be about the other forums.

Ephesos - I think death or near death has changed you. After all you got worked up enough about it in this thread.

I'm happy to be getting more lines as a faithful mage flunky to the establsihment. It beats element summoning in Episode 2. Although this will probably mean less time than ET will get with his plots to take over the boards.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #603
quote:
Next, he approached Nemesis.
Wha…? I'm in the story? Crazy. Didn't expect that.

quote:
"Wow! Really?"
"Of course."
"Gee, thanks."
Hmm… I'm an idiot? Well, I suppose… :P

quote:
Emperor Tullegolar smiled; a genuine smile this time. Having a priest and a powerful scripter on his side would one day be very useful.
Powerful scripter? I'm gonna assume that you're talking about Niemand. Unless you see something in me that I don't, that is.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #604
Dikiyoba? What did I do this time? :rolleyes:

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #605
*Snaps fingers*

Drat! Of all the luck...

I guess Ephesos hates undead so much that even though his lungs had stopped breathing and his heart had stopped beating, the very essence of life in each and every cell caused him to speak out the spell.

Good job Dikiyoba, I am rather enjoying myself. You're allright, no matter what Aran says about you.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #606
Hmm... Another combat described superbly. Excellent work.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #607
quote:
Originally written by -X-:

Synergy was bitten by a wererat. And we all know what happens when you're bitten by a lycanthropic. . .
Were, when referring to an animal in a fantasy, means shapeshifter. In this case, the wererats change into humans. Lycanthropic is a term specifically aimed at werewolves, which is not to be confused with the real-life mental condition clinical lycanthropy.

Also, while not specifically stated in Rats Aplenty, it was mildly hinted at that wererats have some level of magical proficiency.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #608
Evidently scouting the rat's lair was such a critical task that Dikiyoba needed to use a character she could really trust.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #609
Speaking of which...
quote:
Originally written in Episode 3: A New Game:
Dikiyoba searched through Dikiyoba's inventory. "Yes, Dikiyoba does."
...Dikiyoba speaking in third person is starting to spill over into the non-dialogue parts.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #610
The term "were-" does, traditionally, refer only to werewolves in the form we are speaking of, but who says that we are following tradition? Lycanthropy was meant to exclusively refer to wolves, or the medical condition, but there have been many liberties taken with the term lately.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #611
But in Smooology, wererats weren't like werewolves, as they could change form at will. Thus, it is suggested that wererats are NOT lycanthropic creatures, since lycanthropic creatures change because of certain conditions (full moon, day/night, etc.), instead of their own conscious decision to do so. Finally, wererats are more rat than human, contrary to most werewolf mythology.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #612
How are wererats more similar to rats than humans? They appear as normal humans until they morph.

Also, there are differing specifics concerning werewolves. Possibly, couldn't werewolves be forced to morph into full wolves during the full moon, and so lose their ability to think for themselves, but when they make the decision to morph, consciously they change to a certain extent of their choosing, and can become rats or wolves to different degrees, like a man-wolf that stands upright?

Wow. Huge run-on sentence, there.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #613
quote:

How are wererats more similar to rats than humans? They appear as normal humans until they morph.
You got that backwards. They appear as rats until they morph.

quote:
Also, there are differing specifics concerning werewolves. Possibly, couldn't werewolves be forced to morph into full wolves during the full moon, and so lose their ability to think for themselves, but when they make the decision to morph, consciously they change to a certain extent of their choosing, and can become rats or wolves to different degrees, like a man-wolf that stands upright?
Almost all myths and legends concur on this point: werewolves aren't born, they're made. Werewolves are created when a human is bitten by a werewolf. The human himself/herself then turns into a werewolf. Also, most say that the transformation is undesirable to the werewolf, and some say it's outright painful.

On a related note, have you ever been to Michigan near Halloween? Apart from all the goblins and ghouls, there's a local legend about the Wolf-Man (not werewolves!) who fits your description of a man-wolf who stands upright.

[ Tuesday, November 21, 2006 11:37: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #614
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

You didn't LOVE ME!

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #615
-X- fails to see how werewolves cannot reproduce. He has never found any indication of them being sterile, and it seems perfectly logical that two werewolves could reproduce.

And, it's really hard to tell what the original form of a wererat is. If they can morph at will, and they aparently can, there really isn't any way to tell what they apear as.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #616
Actually, if I've gotten my mythology right, werewolves *can* reproduce with both humans and wolves, but the curse doesn't carry on to their offspring. So, if a werewolf has children with a human, the child is fully human etc.

And about wererats: Where as werewolves are cursed humans, wererats are old, cunning and sorcerous rats , who have simply learned how to take a humanoid form. Same applies with japanese foxes.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #617
quote:

-X- fails to see how werewolves cannot reproduce. He has never found any indication of them being sterile, and it seems perfectly logical that two werewolves could reproduce.
You don't find evidence to the contrary, either. I have yet to hear of a 'werepup', except when children are bitten.

EDIT: I meant in their transformed form.

And that's the problem with myths and legends: for the most part, they're anything but logical.

quote:
And, it's really hard to tell what the original form of a wererat is. If they can morph at will, and they aparently can, there really isn't any way to tell what they apear as.
True. But you encounter two more wererats in their rat form, suggesting at least that their preferred form is a rat.

By the way, are you having problems with your 'p' key? Because your words are apparently appearing one p short.

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 09:08: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #618
quote:
Originally written by Jimmy Dean xx:

quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

You didn't LOVE ME!

Sorry, Nikki. You're not writing for Nanowrimo.

A shallower person would add,

IMAGE(http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs12/f/2006/320/c/3/Riibu_still_being_false_by_Riibu.jpg)

whereas you described yourself as "Quasimodo crossed with a mauled zebra... with the big pointy teeth."

Edit: Couldn't find the uncaptioned picture anywhere online, and uploading pictures of people without asking strikes me as bad policy.

[ Wednesday, November 22, 2006 09:53: Message edited by: Arancan'tremembertherest ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #619
quote:
By the way, are you having problems with your 'p' key? Because your words are apparently appearing one p short.
Yes. That comes from pressing the key twice so fast that the second one didn't register.

The rats that you see are probably in rat form because those rats were in a combat situation, and their rat forms are more capable of handling it.

True, there are no mentions of "werepups" anywhere that -X- has heard of, but that is probably because werewolves were thought of as extremely rare creatures and it would be hard to find two that were remotely close to each other. But it is also possible that the curse doesn't carry on, or because of a mother wolf's instincts to hide and protect her young, or because the children have not developed enough to be recognized as werewolves, or because the curse does not take effect until later in life, or a million other reasons. The legends concerning werewolves do occaisonally conflict, and this section of the debate should probably be dropped here and now.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #620
quote:

The rats that you see are probably in rat form because those rats were in a combat situation, and their rat forms are more capable of handling it.
Except that in the human form, they can wear armor and wield weapons.

Also, there's one last fact you're forgetting: Attorosi. Smoo stopped just short of saying that Attorosi created wererats. And since Attorosi is a rat, which form do you think he would have as their default? A rat, who is his fellow kin, or a human, who is his sworn enemy?

quote:
The legends concerning werewolves do occaisonally conflict, and this section of the debate should probably be dropped here and now.
Consider it dropped.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #621
True, but they have the ability to call more rats out of thin air in wererat form, along with large claws, teeth, and thick skin. They are also more agile and are smaller targets in rat form.

And, while Attorosi does hold immense influence among the wererats, along with alleged magical compulsion, as humans they may be mistaken for newbs or other members, and be ignored or welcomed until they strike. Also, the wererats may be secretly plotting rebellion behind Attorosi's back.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #622
quote:

And, while Attorosi does hold immense influence among the wererats, along with alleged magical compulsion, as humans they may be mistaken for newbs or other members, and be ignored or welcomed until they strike.
Why would that change the initial form when a wererat is first created? They could change soon after being created, and serve the same purpose.

By the by... You may have just found your entrance into Dikiyoba's story... *grins mischievously*

quote:
Also, the wererats may be secretly plotting rebellion behind Attorosi's back.
It's possible but... It just doesn't seem likely to happen, especially when their common enemy is still at full force. Don't forget, Attorosi's mind is linked to ALL rats under his control. He'd know if one of them was about to defect. He learned from his mistake, Meuric (Who, by the way, is the one who gave evidence of Attorosi creating the wererats in the first place).

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #623
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
IMAGE(http://ic1.deviantart.com/fs12/f/2006/320/c/3/Riibu_still_being_false_by_Riibu.jpg)
Riibu has powers too? No wonder you two make such a good match. :P

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
By the by... You may have just found your entrance into Dikiyoba's story... *grins mischievously*
Quit encouraging him. It won't happen. Especially in this case, because Dikiyoba already has plans for a friendly rat character.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #624
I wouldn't call having someone suggest Dikiyoba is going to insert you as a wererat 'encouraging'.

And you're planning to include Meuric?

--------------------

Pages