What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #525
Ahh! Spoilers!

Well, anyway, I am now reading the first Harry Potter book (I decided to start reading the series) since I am done with Eldest.

Edit -Interesting, I start a new page two times in a row! Hmm...

[ Saturday, September 22, 2007 08:36: Message edited by: Iffy will bring you happiness. ]

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #526
I've started reading Steven King's Dark Tower series. It's incredible.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #527
I started reading Halted States by Charles Stross, this is a near future book about 5-10 years down the road. Some people playing orcs and a dragon have robbed the central bank of a giant MMORPG repository, they have stolen all the golds and loot which costs a fortune through ebay, paypal and other sources. The company which owns the virtual repository call the cops to solve the virtual crime, they are going IPO soon and the crime will cost them a lot of money. It is quite amusing and often on point about this group of people...

[ Wednesday, October 03, 2007 08:42: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #528
I'm only on the third.
I have school, so I can't really expect to get very far into the series so far.

And I'm talking about Harry Potter series.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #529
Soul Music and Monstrous Regiment by Terry Prachett. Soul Music was good, like the other few Discworld books I've read, but Monstrous Regiment was quite the disappointment because the plot twists... weren't.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Apprentice
Member # 10453
Profile #530
Just wanted to mention

Guy Gavriel Kay (sorry if that was done before, but I found no way to search in all 22 pages).

He worked together with C. Tolkien on the Silmarillion before he published his first novel.
Here is a list of his publications (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gavriel_Kay ):

The Fionavar Tapestry, the travails of five people from Earth in another dimension, in three parts:
The Summer Tree (1984)
The Wandering Fire (1986), winner of the 1987 Aurora Award.
The Darkest Road (1987)

Tigana (1990), winner of the 1991 Aurora Award. A sorcerer-oppressed city-state in a medieval almost-Italy.

A Song for Arbonne (1992). A modification of the Albigensian Crusade in a medieval almost-Provence.

The Lions of Al-Rassan, (1995). The story of two military strategists (one an almost-El Cid) in a medieval almost-Spain.

The Sarantine Mosaic, a mosaicist under emperor Valerius II (an almost-Justinian I) in Sarantium (an almost-Constantinople), in two parts:
Sailing to Sarantium (1998)
Lord of Emperors (2000)

Beyond This Dark House (2003). A collection of poetry.

The Last Light of the Sun (2004). A story based on the Erling (almost-Viking) invasions of Anglcyn (England) and Cyngael (Wales) during the rule of Aeldred (an almost-Alfred the Great).

Ysabel (2007). A modern tale set in Provence. Centering around a teenage boy and his encounters with characters from the distant past.

Needless to say that I read and enjoyed those books.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #531
I read the Fionavar Tapestry and part of the Sarantine Mosaic back in high school. Since then, I've read a lot of books that I liked better, but Kay topped the list of my favorite authors for at least half a year. :)

Now, that place belongs to Neal Stephenson, who rocks absolutely. I read Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash and Quicksilver in that order, so Confusion and System of the World are next.

But having started the Baroque Cycle (which covers the era between 1660-1720, very approximately), I now wish he would go on to do the same for some times between then and now. I could absolutely imagine him covering 1870-19something and the whole fashion with artificial world languages, Zamenhof, Schleyer, et al. It would fit the bill...

[ Thursday, October 04, 2007 00:24: Message edited by: root ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #532
I'm almost done with "The Shadow Rising" by Robert Jordan. I'm curious: was the Wheel of Time series supposed to get really boring in this novel or the next, because I've found "The Shadow Rising" at least readable.

Before that I read "Babylon 5: Legions of Fire - The Long Night of Centauri Prime" which is (a horrible name for a book and) book one of a trilogy meant for cashing in on the fans of the series. Since I sort of already knew what would happen, I was hoping it would have at least been particularly well-written and it wasn't.

--------------------
Some of these BoA scenarios might be good:
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty, Outpost Valley
Get them here
Visit The Lyceum for all your rating needs.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #533
I've just been reading http://www.robertcrais.com, Robert Crais who is a hard boiled crime novelist. I like the two protagonists, Elvis Cole, and Joe Pike who are detectives. The writing is crisp, full of violence, and interesting. I finished reading the Watchmen and The Forgotten Man.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #534
Woohoo! My signed copy of John Dies At The End arrived. I love this book so much. And it only cost $25USD to get it signed and shipped to New Zealand. Awesome.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #535
I'm in the Song of Albion trilogy (Stephen Lawhead) right now, and I highly recommend anything by him. Especially the Pendragon Cycle! (hence the name Taliesin) :D

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #536
I read King's Dark Tower series, and was very impressed initially, but gradually got a bit disappointed. It was still well worth reading, and the thing that bothered me wasn't exactly a flaw. It was something basic in the way King writes. He is a brilliant improviser rather than a composer. In a massive seven-volume series, there isn't really any big idea. There's a sort of sketch outline for a big idea, but it doesn't really get properly filled in. A jumble of wildly unrelated smaller ideas is tumbled into it, with new chunks still being chucked in right up to the end. Some kind of coherence is missing.

This may be an especially brilliant form of meta-fiction, inasmuch as the story is about the long road towards the besieged Dark Tower that is supposed to hold everything together in its overview. The big idea that is supposed to hold King's story together is the idea of the Big Idea that is supposed to hold the universe together. It's failing, and things are falling apart.

So in that sense his series is probably perfect. It still left me feeling kind of unsatisfied.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #537
Has anyone read "Unholy War, terror in the name of Islam " by Jon L. Esposito? I have just started it for my globalization class and it seem intriguing.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
BANNED
Member # 10021
Profile #538
Considerinf the title I dubt I'd likie it.

--------------------
When I close my eyes at night I see David Bowie.

PLAY AVERNUM 1!!!!!!!!!!!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #539
The Illiad by Homer. Of course, it's an English translation of someone I cannot recall at the moment. Oh well, so far so good.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #540
Also in translation from Greek, Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis. Although most of the fame of this book seems to be due to the character of Zorba, to me he seemed a familiar trope, the man of earthy wisdom. For all I know this trope was created by Zorba, and that's why this book made such a stir fifty years ago. But by now the trope has settled in, and Zorba himself is no great revelation.

I was more intrigued by the narrator, who is on a Buddhist-style quest to free himself from the inescapable wheel — of Buddhism. He feels himself to be trapped in detachment, and is trying to learn connection from Zorba. Of course, it isn't obvious that either the Buddhism that traps him or the meta-Buddhism of his quest for escape is genuine Buddhism, or genuine wisdom of any kind. But overall this book, which I had always imagined was some sort of Hemingway-esque celebration of wine, women and dance, is really a rather substantial western reaction to Buddhism.

Unfortunately a gruesome murder that occurs about three-quarters of the way through the book, and is passed off far too lightly by the narrator and everyone else, made me lose all sympathy with everyone in the book, narrator and Zorba included. I guess that can still figure in the dialog with Buddhism, but not in a nice way.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #541
i have to say that i'm gay. i think that many of this website's users are stupid losers, and dont have any kind of life. so go out and do something clever, instead of playing with your little brother at home. **** you nerds.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #542
Hijacked account?

—Alorael, who would find it immensely ironic if a little brother were, in fact, responsible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #543
In fact I've had a small reading binge lately because I was travelling. I read The Fencing Master by Arturo Pérez-Reverte, translated from Spanish, and Imperium by Robert Harris. I'd recommend them both.

The Fencing Master is a short but absorbing novel about an apolitical fencing master getting entangled in a revolutionary plot in Madrid in the late 1860's.

Imperium is a Grisham-ish politico-legal thriller about the rise of Marcus Tullius Cicero to the Roman consulate, as told by his secretary slave. According to reviews and to my own judgement for what it is worth, it's historically very accurate. I liked it a lot.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #544
I've decided since I never actually got all the animorphs books, I'd buy the rest and read through the entire series. Then next on the plate is Diadem...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #545
Hello,
I just finished reading Making Money by Terry Pratchett. Another story with Lipwig Von Moist, this time as head of the bank. It is a nice light read, not quite as good as going postal, but still a lot of fun. Plenty of puns, including the golem standard...

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #546
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

i have to say that i'm gay. i think that many of this website's users are stupid losers, and dont have any kind of life. so go out and do something clever, instead of playing with your little brother at home. **** you nerds.
Yep. I just compared it with his other posts. There are serious grammar flaws (Drozen feet's other posts all had the capital "I" were as here its "i"

And yes, I'm so much of a nerd I actively search players former posts if they start using grammar they never did before. So far I've uncovered about 2 hijacked accounts on other forums and one impersonation.

--------------------
Jeran Korak-Half-Drow

You insult me, you insult my sword!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #547
Maybe he has just been keeping his true grammatical orientation in the closet until now.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #548
I find that to be generally impossible. But I'll file it anyway.

--------------------
Jeran Korak-Half-Drow

You insult me, you insult my sword!
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #549
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Maybe he has just been keeping his true grammatical orientation in the closet until now.
As always, you have the perfect response. :P

--------------------
Love is the movement.

Pages