What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #350
By Tyran:
quote:
I will make it even harder for you by revealing that A Storm of Swords is definitely the best book in the series.
And to think I was just planning on working with the Berkley DB this weekend. Gotta e-mail my partner, say I'm sick or something.

--------------------
Down that path lies madness. On the other hand, the road to hell is paved with melting snowballs.
- Larry Wall
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #351
I'm now reading through Glen Cook's Dread Empire trilogy. It's okay, but it has a formal style that doesn't quite work. Cook seems to be at his best when he can be colloquial because he's speaking through a narrating character.

quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

He is either brilliant, has a remarkable personal assistant, or is a deeply disturbed human being.
Yes. And yes and yes?

—Alorael, who may be the only fantasy-lover left who just doesn't think George R. R. Martin is anything special. He read the first two books and got about halfway through the third before losing interest and picking up something else. He almost never puts down a book, either. There's just something about Martin's style and characters that doesn't appeal.

[ Friday, March 30, 2007 10:47: Message edited by: 458-218-9951 ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #352
Too gritty?

I don't know. I wasn't fascinated either, but I read the first three and am going to read the rest. It's not Tolkien, but it's good.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #353
Looking Forward to Steve Erickson's Midnight Tides Malanzan Book of the Fallen Book 5 after April 18, 2007. Should be a good read.

Meanwhile, I haven't been too thrilled by the latest crop of fantasy and science fiction books.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #354
Does anyone know of a good space story? The main elements I'm looking for are:

1. Life in space
2. Realism (i.e. no FTL, or highly advanced societies)
3. No aliens
4. Politics

Edit:
5. Not at war or fleeing a war.
6. Not post-apoc

[ Saturday, March 31, 2007 19:06: Message edited by: Dahak ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #355
Try Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot. Despite the character's oddball name, these are pretty much serious stories, with a little bit of lightness. Not much politics, but you've got the rest.

If by 'not at war' you mean only 'not mainly about a war', then you can't do much better than the Vorkosigan saga. Most of the books are pretty military, but not exactly about war.

[ Sunday, April 01, 2007 08:22: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #356
Just finished The Hero by John Ringo and Michael Z. Williamson. Far future covert operations. I liked it a lot. The hero in this story is an alien pursued by a psychotic human. It makes it interesting. Good story. John Ringo and Michael Z. Williamson write war stories, they also follow in the libertarian right philosophy of Heinlein. It was pretty interesting.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #357
Dahak - try Robert A. Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. It's was written back in the days before we got there, but it is fairly realistic.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #358
Star Trek: The Genesis Wave trilogy is fairly entertaining.

I've just looked at the date of this thread. It's as old as my account is. Yikes!

[ Monday, April 09, 2007 14:08: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
The Survival Elite
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #359
I just took a look at the Internet 100 Top Science Fiction Novels. I've read most of them. Just tried out Earth Abides by George R. Stewart about rebuilding after a mysterious plague that wipes out most of human. I especially like the descriptions of how nature comes back after civilization collapses. An interesting little tidbit is that the main character Ish is named after the famous Native American, Ishi who was the last of his tribe.

[ Saturday, April 14, 2007 07:40: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #360
I've been thinking about picking up Ender's Game. Worth the read?

--------------------
I got food poisoning today. I don't know when I'll use it.
- Steven Wright
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #361
Ender's Game is pretty good. I recommend it.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #362
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Ender's Game is pretty good. I recommend it.
Agreed. it's OSC's best work IMHO.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #363
Ender's Game is quite good, as are most of the sequels.

I just started reading The Book of Lost Things, which seems decent so far.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #364
quote:
Originally written by Dahak:

Does anyone know of a good space story? The main elements I'm looking for are:

1. Life in space
2. Realism (i.e. no FTL, or highly advanced societies)
3. No aliens
4. Politics

Edit:
5. Not at war or fleeing a war.
6. Not post-apoc

Try Lois McMaster Bujold's Barrayar cycle. There is FTL, but it barely features, and you will find few settings that manage to be half as realistic without FTL than she pulls off with.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #365
Unfortunately I have all of Lois's SF books already and have read them.

I'm rereading Heinlein (sp?), and Dickson's Childe Cycle, and Kim Harrison's Hollows Series (Rachel Morgan).

I'm waiting for my reservation of White Night (Jim Butcher) to arrive at the library.

On a side note: I FINALLY have a non dial-up connection at home. HAH!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #366
This thread has far too much sci-fi in it!

I'm currently on George Monbiot's Heat and Laura Blumenfeld's Revenge, which is very thought provoking.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Apprentice
Member # 8515
Profile #367
I'm Reading a Magnificent Book called "Thr3e" its by ted dekker (he IS the greatest) its about a crazed cereal killer that killed people if they didnt solve a riddle, and finally got to someone who he doesnt kill... instead he kills the friends and things that this person likes.(e.g: car, dog etc).

the book is mainly about the person the killer is after, Kevin (the main character) is getting constent riddles and has a time limit to solve them and if he fails to solve the riddle something heats up. i still dont know who the killer is DARN! no one tell me!

Oh and also there are these 2 really hot girls that like him! (did that just make it more interesting for you all?!)

i have nearly finished reading the book (apparently there is a massive twist at the end).

GET THE BOOK AND READ IT! ITS SO AWSOME!

--------------------
???? J O K E R ???? im such a Joker!
JUST KIDDING!
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #368
quote:
Originally written by Magician:

I'm Reading a Magnificent Book called "Thr3e" its by ted dekker (he IS the greatest) its about a crazed cereal killer that killed people if they didnt solve a riddle, and finally got to someone who he doesnt kill... instead he kills the friends and things that this person likes.(e.g: car, dog etc).

the book is mainly about the person the killer is after, Kevin (the main character) is getting constent riddles and has a time limit to solve them and if he fails to solve the riddle something heats up. i still dont know who the killer is DARN! no one tell me!

Oh and also there are these 2 really hot girls that like him! (did that just make it more interesting for you all?!)

i have nearly finished reading the book (apparently there is a massive twist at the end).

GET THE BOOK AND READ IT! ITS SO AWSOME!

Did he eat their cereal too if they failed to solve the riddle? I admit I wouldn't like people eating my cereal. Cruncy Oats with Strawberry and Blueberry is mine!

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #369
My car was brutaly murdered less than a year ago, so I know how it feels. But cereal killings, that's the worst kind of evil.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #370
Advertising for a book subliterately is not advertising for that book at all!

—Alorael, who has determined that his mood is suprisingly affected by which book he's reading even when he has not, in fact, touched it anytime recently. He has therefore decided that depressing books must be read as quickly as possible.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #371
I'm reading a little bit of paranoid special operations history with too many acronyms, lots of blundering lies, and some interesting tidbits here and there. It is not too bad. It is Michael Smith, Killer Elite, The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team. Yep most special. :P

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #372
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

I'm reading a little bit of paranoid special operations history with too many acronyms, lots of blundering lies, and some interesting tidbits here and there. It is not too bad. It is Michael Smith, Killer Elite, The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team. Yep most special. :P
Hint: America's enemy did it.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #373
I've been reading the Dresden novels by Jim Butcher. Also slogging through the various books in the DS9 Relaunch.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #374
I'm reading Glen Cook's Black Company series. I agree with Alorael about his writing style, even thought it's in french so a lot easier to read. I'm currently getting bored waiting for the latest one to be translated into French and for the local library to get it.

quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

—Alorael, who may be the only fantasy-lover left who just doesn't think George R. R. Martin is anything special.
No , there's me too...

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Travian The Roost
Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.

I like the French. They always go ^^. It's even infectious, if you catch the joke ^^ .

Pages