What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #125
quote:
and browsing through A Field Guide to the Plants of Arizona by Anne Orth Epple.
Field Guide to the Plants of Arizona:

Cacti: pg 3-100
Other: pg 101-103

I'm joking. A bit.

[ Friday, September 22, 2006 15:36: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #126
Just starting The Ring of Words - Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary by Peter Gilliver, Jeremy Marshall, and Edmund Weiner ($25 US, hardbound) a look at the time when J.R.R. Tolkien worked on the OED and the backround of some of the words used in his works. The look at about 100 words is funny since they go back to old and middle English for their origins and in jokes that he made.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #127
I just finished reading Magic for Beginners, a collection of short stories by Kelly Link... it was for a class, but it was absolutely amazing stuff... best I've read in quite a while. In fact, the class I had to read it for might be the best class I've had in quite a while.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #128
I'm about to begin the latest work of Terry Brooks: a novel called "Armageddon's Children."

This looks to be a step up from his latest few...
I'll report when I'm finished; which may not be a while, as I have a film and three papers due within the next week.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is working on a powerpoint slideshow of pictures and video he took while in Detroit.
Looking at something that happened to be on the screen... it does really look like Al Capone is in the shot of the flaming Burger King.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #129
I've been meaning to suggest this book, merely as counterpoint to the obsessing on Tolkien. Also because the Harvard Lampoon is one of the most underappreciated bastions of American humor in the 20th (and 21st) century.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #130
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I've been meaning to suggest this book, merely as counterpoint to the obsessing on Tolkien. Also because the Harvard Lampoon is one of the most underappreciated bastions of American humor in the 20th (and 21st) century.
Yes, yes it is. Who can forget Frito, Spam, Moxie, Pepsi, Legolam, Gimlet, Goodgulf, and Arrowroot who are pitted against the villainous cretins, Sourman and Sorehead? :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #131
I think I got an unread copy lying around. I glanced at it once and liked the parodies.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #132
I'm about to start Scott McCloud Making Comics which should be very interesting. I read Armageddon's Children which was pretty interesting. A nice mix of post apocalypse and magic. I was surprised that it was something different and original from Terry Brooks.

You have to realize that Terry Brooks has already made his money so he can choose to write what he wants. This is often the case with fantasy writers. They make their money off of horrible drivel, then they get to innovate when they have enough of an audience.

[ Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:16: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #133
Armageddon's Children different and original? Huh? I suppose it is better than the High Druid series, though.

--------------------
If you need me, I'll be playing Genethermum.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #134
I finished reading Winter's End by Robert Silverbergy. Not a bad recommendation. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The Baen Free Library has a few more new books added to its contents by James P. Hogan. I'll probably read them. http://www.baen.com/library . The design is pretty good for their ebooks so they aren't hard to read.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Warrior
Member # 5701
Profile #135
Last week I wrapped up the unauthorized Steve Jobs biography, iCon.

This week (or whenever Amazon.com delivers it) I hope to start on Wozniak's tome, suitably titled iWoz.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #136
Is Armageddon's Children in the vein of a sequel to the Knight of the Word series? Or would it be more analogous to a prequel to the Shannara books?

Anywho, recently, I've read... ok I need to get to the library again sometime soon, school' been too busy though. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #137
By Macrsp:
quote:
Is Armageddon's Children in the vein of a sequel to the Knight of the Word series? Or would it be more analogous to a prequel to the Shannara books?
SPOILER

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
During times of peace, my Legions of Terror will not be permitted to lie around drinking mead and eating roast boar. Instead they will be required to obey my dietician and my aerobics instructor.

[ Tuesday, October 03, 2006 09:27: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #138
Not sure what that was supposed to link too, whatever that page is, it is unfortunately not in any of the languages I know. It looks like Dutch or German?

Regardless, I realized that info on the book would likely be online, and it is quite obviously a sequel to the Knight of the Word series.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #139
What I wanted you to do is hover your mouse over the link and read the status bar. The reason for that is in case someone wants to read the book and not have it spoiled for them. Sorry for the confusion.

Like This!.

--------------------
Stttttickyy Keysssssssssss.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #140
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Like This!.
Anyone who paid any attention to the Shannara books already knows that. Need I remind you of the flashlight and the ruined city built with iron girders in The Sword of Shannara, the entire city, complete with a subway, in The Druid of Shannara, the computer archive in Antrax, and myriad other references strewn throughout the series? :P

Anyway, here's an important question. Is Armageddon's Children worth reading (much less buying)? I've been soured to Terry Brooks ever since Morgawr, and The High Druid series was even worse.

[ Tuesday, October 03, 2006 16:10: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #141
I was just being on the cautious side. I read the first two Shannara series around ten years ago, and it never really clicked for me until much later. Try as I might, I can't remember the flashlight.

I'm the wrong person to ask about whether or not to buy it; I don't buy any books until they appear at a used bookstore near my house for a dollar. There's nothing spectacular about Armageddon's Children: no airships or amazing artefacts as in Shannara, and the dark philosophical moments aren't as good as in the Knight of the Word trilogy.

It's definitely more a Knight of the Word book than a Shannara one (except for a few chapters; for a hint, look at the bloody cover). Some characters from Angelfire East make an appearance.

Anyway, this is probably the last Brooks series I'm reading. He's definitely exhasted the setting, but on the other hand, this will be the series which ties nearly all his works together. (Any bets whether Landover will make an appearance?)

--------------------
And now for something completely different:
Was anyone else surprised that the Stone of Tears, the mriswith, and the kitchen sink didn't appear in Phantom? Everything else did.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #142
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I was just being on the cautious side. I read the first two Shannara series around ten years ago, and it never really clicked for me until much later. Try as I might, I can't remember the flashlight.
When the King of Silver River drives the Skull Bearers off, he uses a flashlight
quote:
Originally written by Terry Brooks:

The strange light in his hand appeared fiercely bright at this close distance, and there was no hint of a flame in its center. Suddenly, it disappeared, and in its place was a cylindrical object gripped in the old man's gnarled hand...
"The light," Shea spoke finally, "how...?"
"A toy of a people long dead and gone."

[ Tuesday, October 03, 2006 19:27: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #143
Just finishing up "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. They meshed quite well.

--------------------
Fly beyond the ocean, over the mountains, past the moon and across the face of the sun, never to come home again.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #144
quote:
Originally written by Macrsp:

Not sure what that was supposed to link too, whatever that page is, it is unfortunately not in any of the languages I know. It looks like Dutch or German?
How do you manage to load a site from the URL "both"? This I have to try.

Edit: Firefox redirects it to a Google search...

[ Wednesday, October 04, 2006 01:37: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #145
...and Safari can't find the server.

What browser are you using?

—Alorael, who would be surprised if he got a garbage result that resembled a natural language instead of, well, garbage.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #146
I've been reading law books lately, as well as wonkette.com. Supremely entertaining! US politics are indeed in the toilet.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #147
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

US politics are indeed in the toilet.
You needed to read something to confirm this? :D

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #148
Speaking of toilets, who here reads Uncle John's Bathroom Readers?

--------------------
Okay, that sounded really weird.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #149
I just finished Big Fish.

It was pretty good.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00

Pages