What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #225
I'm reading Foundation by Issac Asimov. It's very intresting with a good Sci-Fi plot.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #226
yup its a philosophy textbook. nothing else would be so painful.

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #15 Wash your hands!!

That's skrange.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP, cleanfast productions co, inc)(Dgjzxachk)(Lord Pibble)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #227
I thought for a moment you were describing Foundation as a philosophy textbook; then I realised you were talking about Atlas Shrugged.

I last responded to this topic in July. Surprising it's still going. Since then I have read a few things, including but not limited to:
  • Harlan Coben, Drop Shot
  • Peter F Hamilton, Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder & The Nano Flower
  • Conn Iggulden, Emperor: The Gods of War
  • Jonathan Kellerman, Twisted
  • Peter Robinson, Playing with Fire
  • David Weber, The Honor of the Queen

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #228
The Watchmen. I'm not really a comic book fan but this must be the best one ever written.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #229
Dikiyoba just finished rereading Silverwing and Sunwing by Kenneth Oppel.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #230
I rather like comic books. If you want to read something truly fantastic, read Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe-- a humorous coverage of history from the big bang through ancient Greece. I also really enjoyed Frank Miller's 300 which is going to be made into a film. It is about the hot gates, Thermopylae.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #231
Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett. Great writer, good humor.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #232
Saints of the Sword by John Marco.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #233
Just attempted to read Empire by Orson Scott Card, unlike his other novels this was really really awful, it was unreadable after the first two chapters.

I just got Transgalactic by A.E. Van Vogt, it includes Empire of the Atom, the Wizard of Linn, Mission to the Stars, and two short stories. I read Empire of the Atom, but couldn't find the Wizard of Linn until now. It should be very entertaining. Slan is an excellent novel, so is The Voyage of The Space Beagle. A.E. Van Vogt's writing is very crisp.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #234
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, by Suzanna Clarke.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #235
I am reading Bioshelters, Ocean Arks, City Farming, Ecology as the Basis of Design by Nancy Jack Todd and John Todd. I find this to be fairly interesting, John Todd is the father of creating artificial wetlands, as well as "living machines" for phytoremediation and wastewater treatment. I tried to read Arcology: The City As the Image of Man but it was incomprehensible full of things that looked like they were created by a stoned hippy and made you hallucinate if you just looked at the pictures. A truly strange and inspiring book about megacity ecologies.

I also read the Ecolitan Enigma by L.E. Modesitti Jr., a rather interesting science fiction story about a secessionist colony with a bioscience base. The Ecolitan series is an interesting series.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #236
Currently plowing through The Science of Discworld, by Terry Prachett and two other guys. Jeez, this book is dense.

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 14:31: Message edited by: Robinator is a Beefcake ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #237
Someone bought me the Thrawn Trilogy for Christmas. Even though I already know the story out of necessity (Star Wars nerd) it's still a pretty good series. Sorely lacking the Palpatine factor, however.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #238
I just finisheed reading the War of the lance,souls & The twins trilogy,and the second generation All Dragon Lance books by margret ......
and tracy.... ^_^

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #239
I always enjoy a good story from the Bible and various other books from the Sword of the Lord! :D :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Welcome to my home...NOW GET OUT!!!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #240
By E.T.
quote:
Someone bought me the Thrawn Trilogy for Christmas. Even though I already know the story out of necessity (Star Wars nerd) it's still a pretty good series. Sorely lacking the Palpatine factor, however.
I never once missed the absence of Pulpy in the Zahn books. In my limited exposure to the Star Wars universe, Thrawn is the best villain out there.

Hmmm... Zahn written seven books since The Green and the Gray. Time to get my rear end in gear.

--------------------
Beware of programmers that carry screwdrivers.
- Anonymous
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #241
I have a very nice copy of the Holy Bible Illustrated and Designed by Barry Moser with very nice woodcuts. It is huge and very readable.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7630
Profile #242
I stole a holtel bible,It's not like it said "don't take me i'm not free" I also took the coffe packs and the soap Every thing not bolted to the floor is free at a hotel ^_^

--------------------
Phobias are afraid of Chuck Norris.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #243
quote:
Originally written by Robinator is a Beefcake:

Currently plowing through The Science of Discworld, by Terry Prachett and two other guys. Jeez, this book is dense.
But it's so good! I really wish I could find the two sequels...

quote:
Originally written by Exiled N5cromancer:

I stole a holtel bible,It's not like it said "don't take me i'm not free" I also took the coffe packs and the soap Every thing not bolted to the floor is free at a hotel ^_^
This may be one of the most depressing things I've read on these forums.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #244
quote:
You are one of the reasons why rates are so high at hotels.

--------------------
Consistently separating words by spaces became a general custom about the tenth century A.D., and lasted until about 1957, when FORTRAN abandoned the practice.
- Sun FORTRAN Reference Manual
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #245
quote:
Originally written by Exiled N5cromancer:

You shouldn't carry over all your gaming attitudes into the real world. After all hotels raise prices unlike game worlds.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #246
Originally by Exiled Necromancer:

quote:
This explains why the last hotel Dikiyoba stayed in had warnings not to take the bathrobe displayed about twelve times more prominently than the fire evacuation route.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #247
So far I've read the Silmarillion and A Midsummer Night's Dream on my trip, and just started reading The Taming of the Shrew. It's the first time I've read Shakespeare that wasn't for a school assignment, it's been more enjoyable than I expected.

I can also report that the only thing I've taken from my hotels over the last week are some bars of soap, some of those little shampoo bottles, and a towel (trust me, they owed me that towel!)

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #248
Stealing things from hotels does not raise hotel rates. The hotel just charges your credit card for the stolen items.

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #249
Reading the CoDominium books by Jerry Pournelle/Larry Niven. Especially the Falkenberg books.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.

Pages