What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #50
Peter David is funny, but to call Star Trek good is ridiculous. It is a mix of u-boats in space and the Lone Ranger. It got so bad, that there aren't any Star Trek shows on air. Stargate seems to have taken over the role of Star Trek for modern audiences.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #51
Comparing Stargate with Star Trek is like comparing apples and oranges. Also, the biggest reason that there is no longer a Star Trek series not in syndication on the air is because UPN decided that Star Trek didn't fit their program format.

Btw, you can still watch, the original series and TNG on G4, and DS9 and TNG on Spike.

I do not wish to imply here that Stargate is bad. I love Stargate and have seen every episode, but it's a simple fact that, with the exception of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (a show I have never liked), the Star Trek franchise has the largest fan following of any TV show.

[ Thursday, August 17, 2006 09:24: Message edited by: TM Valorim ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 7079
Profile Homepage #52
I am currently finishing Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am up to page 625 out of 636. Note: As I live in Australia, I use the British version. In Mid-July, I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone in some countries) for 5 hours straight so I got a headache.

--------------------
See the browser poll.
Click to give.
Opera Internet Suite.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #53
For a nice light fantasy romp with a murderously pleasant female lead try Dawn Cook-- The Decoy Princess and Princess at Sea both in paperback.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #54
Frederik Pohl. The other side of time and Seige of eternity. Interesting. I thought more could be done with the multiple versions of each character.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
BANNED
Member # 6074
Profile #55
Eragon - Christopher Paolini
Eldest- Christopher Paolini

Good books for a teen who wrote them.

--------------------
---------------------------------
Live long and prosper.
Viva mucho tiempo y prospere.
Habiter long et prospérer.
Leben Sie lang und prosperieren Sie.
Lever lang og prosper.
Longos vivos e prosper.
Lunghi in tensione e prosperano.
???????????
?????????
???? ? ????.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Norwegian Wood:

Eragon - Christopher Paolini
Eldest- Christopher Paolini

Good books for a teen who wrote them.

Gah! *Tears eyes out for having read that Eragon is good*

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #57
Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad. It is Eldest that is truly tear-eyes-out-ible. Eragon does absolutely nothing, the elves would be more interesting if they were all in a coma, and the huge battle at the end of the book seemed to exist solely so that there was a huge battle at the end of the book.

Dikiyoba recently finished reading The Rivers of Zadaa by D. J. MacHale. Dikiyoba thought it was good but Dikiyoba was really bored at the time.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #58
Quest of Ewilan book 1 by Pierre Bottero. The French version is much better than the English translation. And it is quite bad anyway, but it is still fun too read.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Travian The Roost
Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.

I like the French. They always go ^^. It's even infectious, if you catch the joke ^^ .
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #59
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Oh, come on. It wasn't that bad. It is Eldest that is truly tear-eyes-out-ible. Eragon does absolutely nothing, the elves would be more interesting if they were all in a coma, and the huge battle at the end of the book seemed to exist solely so that there was a huge battle at the end of the book.

Dikiyoba recently finished reading The Rivers of Zadaa by D. J. MacHale. Dikiyoba thought it was good but Dikiyoba was really bored at the time.

Well, better to have a huge battle at the end of the book for no other purpose but to have a huge battle at the end of the book, than a book that exists for no other purpose but to have a huge battle at the end of it. Not much better, admittedly.

Next on my reading list: Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson and Jennifer Government, by Max Barry.

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 02:00: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #60
The Eragon books were something to waste your boredom hours on. I fear I don't even remember the plot now, it really didn't seem... unique in any real way. More like random pieces of random novels got thrown together in an attempt to make something new.

But if you wanted something good, I'd suggest Stackpole's Talion or as someone already said, any of the Fiest books. Haven't been doing much reading (or at least not of fiction, I don't think science textbooks count in 'sci-fi') lately though, so no up to date suggestions.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #61
quote:
Originally written by Macrsp:

The Eragon books were something to waste your boredom hours on. I fear I don't even remember the plot now, it really didn't seem... unique in any real way. More like random pieces of random novels got thrown together in an attempt to make something new.

But if you wanted something good, I'd suggest Stackpole's Talion or as someone already said, any of the Fiest books. Haven't been doing much reading (or at least not of fiction, I don't think science textbooks count in 'sci-fi') lately though, so no up to date suggestions.

Yeah, I'd listen to this guy, Stackpole is a very good author. I'd say my top 10. Ok, bubye

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

Peter David is funny, but to call Star Trek good is ridiculous. It is a mix of u-boats in space and the Lone Ranger. It got so bad, that there aren't any Star Trek shows on air. Stargate seems to have taken over the role of Star Trek for modern audiences.
Ahem... hasn't anyone ever heard of Enterprise? Lovely show really, bad time slot. I catch it when I can. Star Trek is not dead, yet.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #63
Sorry to tell you this, but Star Trek has been cancelled. Also, in my humble opinion, Enterprise was the worst of all the ones I've seen.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #64
Enterprise suffered from a lot of bad directing and writng, the thrid season terrorist hunt was a prime example. In its fourth season, the show finally started to do what it should have done from the beginning. Most of the episodes were tie-ins from the other 4 series, which is what they had claimed they were going to do back in the beginning. In season 4, there were many critically acclaimed episodes, however, as Jewel said, they put it in a bad timeslot. Friday nights are not a good timeslot for most of the show's target audience. Also, as I said before, UPN cancelled the show because it did not fit in their current programming scheme.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #65
Friday nights were the perfect timeslot! Star Trek geeks don't go out on Friday nights!

And UPN doesn't exist anymore - it merged with WB so more than half of the shows on both networks were canceled.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #66
Hmm... I don't get UPN or WB but I watched it just last week. I didn't pay attention to which station, which is probably why I don't catch it often. I thought it was one of the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) and it was in the afternoon, too. Somebody's still playing it, even if it is reruns.

Oh, and everyone knows that Friday night is the night us Star Trek geeks dress up in uniform and get together to roleplay.

We don't go out... pfft.

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 09:33: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #67
Just got back from the bookshop with The Salmon of Doubt, by Douglas Adams.

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Drakey the Spud:

And UPN doesn't exist anymore - it merged with WB so more than half of the shows on both networks were canceled.
Enterprise was cancelled back in 2005 though, back when UPN did exist. :P

quote:
Originally written by Aran:

I'm surprised you didn't already own that.

[ Thursday, August 24, 2006 09:40: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #69
I never liked Enterprise much, and I don't think a tv series designed for the purpose of endlessly cross-referencing its 4 predecessors was a good idea in anyway at all. Leave that anorak stuff to the novels/comics.

I see that Stargate has now been cancelled too. Ah well.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #70
Stargate was cancled? My sister will cry.
Anyway, I never really liked it or Enterprise.

I'm currently reading my college books. World Religions, Chemistry, Philosophy, English. Exciting.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #71
Cell by Stephen King

I hear that Eli Roth will direct a movie based on this book after he is done with Hostel 2. I certainly hope to be able to see the fantastic world that Stephen King creates in this book brought to the big screen.

Has anyone else read this one?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #72
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I see that Stargate has now been cancelled too. Ah well.

According to Gateworld, Robert C. Cooper, the executive producer of SG1, says, "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how." What this actually means is very open to interpretation.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #73
I just finished "The Catcher in the Rye," promoting it to my favorite book of all time.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:
Originally written by Aran:

I'm surprised you didn't already own that.

Well, now I do, and high time I did too! :)

--------------------

Pages