What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #150
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Speaking of toilets, who here reads Uncle John's Bathroom Readers?
I do. They are quite interesting.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #151
The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Some parts aren't too funny, and some jokes are outright ripped off from other people, but it has its gems.
www.venganza.org

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #152
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Speaking of toilets, who here reads Uncle John's Bathroom Readers?
I do. They are quite interesting.

Seconded. We had like 6 of them at my house... I have none at college, regrettably.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #153
Classical and Quantum Computation

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #154
Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman last night. Have read it once before. I've still got a big stack of books waiting for me now. Not sure which one I'll pick, though. Still haven't got the one I reserved. :( Whoever's got it hasn't even returned it on time. It's now nearly two weeks late, the bastard...

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Riibu's Kolo - January Blues - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #155
I am reading Blackbeard America's Most Notorious Pirate by Angus Konstam. This at times is very dry and historical. He is comparing different records of what happened with Blackbeard. There are interesting moments throughout. Lets capture us a musician, get the merchantman sloop with sugar and rum, mix up and the sugar and rum to make some punch, sail to the islands where we will bring in the local whores and build a giant bonfire where we will drink rum punch and eat for a week straight, make the musician and whores dance and have a good time.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #156
I've just finished Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. Next up, Terry Pratchett's Wintersmith, except that first I'll read some excessively geeky magazines (cVu and Overload)

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #157
Pratchet is an excellent author, I find myself laughing to his books far too much, and far too loudly. This is probably a dumb comparison, but some of his characters remind me of Shakespearian characters, or at least the comic ones. I even enjoyed the picture book for Vime's son that got published.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #158
Terry Pratchett worked for eight years as a technical writer for the nuclear industry. He claims it was a lesson in how to write well, because it is so easy for things to go wrong with the equipment.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #159
Since this is back up, I'll just say that I recently finished Nineteen Eighty-Four (George Orwell) and We (Yevgeny Zamyatin).

Dikiyoba is now starting Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #160
I finished Notre Dame two days ago. D'you know, I had no idea it could be so boring. Not the bits with the characters and the plot advancing, you know, with all the story, but the whole chapters where he just described places. I never skip anything while reading, but that was too much even for me. It was completely pointless! But the actual story was entertaining, yes.

Although... I absolutely hated Esmeralda. At some point I just started hoping for her to die at the end. I actually checked the ending at one point and was grimly satisfied to find a passage of her getting hung. Admittedly, I nearly felt that maybe she should've gotten saved when every other character tried to do something for her, but then she opened her mouth and just, that... Ugh -_- "Oh, for f---'s sake! Just kill her already!"

I may be in trouble since my MC in my NaNovel is a lot like her in that stupid love aspect. Except Rosalie doesn't fall in love, just has a huge crush and she at least has the sense to know that Jonathan doesn't really love her. Probably makes her even more stupid to accept his advantages, though. (sorry, OT :\ ) Girls!

--------------------

Ooh! Riibu's Kolo - January Blues - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #161
quote:
Originally written by The Green Dragon:

Finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman last night. Have read it once before. I've still got a big stack of books waiting for me now. Not sure which one I'll pick, though. Still haven't got the one I reserved. :( Whoever's got it hasn't even returned it on time. It's now nearly two weeks late, the bastard...
I'll look for American Gods in the bookshop some time this week - if Good Omens was any indicator, his books are awesome.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Apprentice
Member # 7566
Profile #162
I'm reading Nietzsche... can't read enough Nietzsche... give, more, Nietzsche...
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #163
By Diki:
quote:
We (Yevgeny Zamyatin)
Good, from what I remember of it.

Introduction to RISC Assembly Language Programming by John Waldron. My joy knows no bounds.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will hire an entire squad of blind guards. Not only is this in keeping with my status as an equal opportunity employer, but it will come in handy when the hero becomes invisible or douses my only light source.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #164
American Gods is really nothing at all like Good Omens. It's still great and still funny in places, but it's much less light-hearted and much less obviously explained, quite possibly because of the lack of Pratchetesque footnotes.

—Alorael, who learned everything he knows about the old British currency system from a Good Omens footnote. He also learned most of what he knows about cloistered orders from the same.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #165
(I got it! I finally got it! And now I'm not reading it. Why is that, I wonder? Damn these boards.)

Have I actually mentioned what the hell it is that I've been wanting to read for so long? Hmm. Well, it's Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud, anyway. The last book of the Bartimeus trilogy. Gonna finish iiiit...

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #166
Just finished reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. A nice little piece of post apocalyptic fiction. This is about what it means to stay human under nightmarish conditions.

--------------------

La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #167
My beloved is reading Wintersmith, and chortling much.
I am reading the Divine Comedy and not chortling much at all.
Should I read Fragile Things?

--------------------
But it's the unsquandered youth that is truly wasted.

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #168
I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King. 500 pages down and so far so good.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #169
Right now? A Clive Cussler book. Believe it or not, the bad guy loses through his own greed.

Next? House by Tracy Kidder.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #170
The Woman In White..Just finished it...Instantly made me a Wilkie Collins fan....Story never stalls....Great mystery..
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #171
Alan Moore's Watchmen. If you haven't read it already, what the hell is wrong with you?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #172
Currently reading Witches' Brew, from Terry Brooks' Landover series. The series is good, if you're looking for mostly lighthearted fantasy.

I also recommend his Shannara series and Word/Void trilogy. They're more serious.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #173
Retief of the C.D.T.

Everyone knows your superiors are idiots. Retief just proves it.

Also, Bad Prince Charlie by John Moore.

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #174
Well, just finished The Thin Place, by Kathryn Davis. Excellent book, very convoluted.

quote:
Originally written by Old Fogey:
n. stodgy, outdated guy:
American Gods is really nothing at all like Good Omens. It's still great and still funny in places, but it's much less light-hearted and much less obviously explained, quite possibly because of the lack of Pratchetesque footnotes.
Quite, quite dark, in fact... but awesome nonetheless.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Pages