What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #25
Recently, meaning within the last two months:

• Janet Evanovich, Ten big ones
  • Peter F Hamilton, Pandora's Star & Judas Unchained
  • Ken Macleod, The Star Fraction
  • Henning Mankell, The man who smiled
  • Elizabeth Peters, The serpent on the crown
  • Jose Carlos Somoza, The Athenian murders
I'd recommend them all, with the possible exception of the Macleod, which is very likely not to most people's taste.
Edit: remembered another one.

[ Monday, July 31, 2006 13:35: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #26
Aldous Huxley's Island is very differnt from his other books. It is utopian and very good. Well worth reading. I could not read Brave New World.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #27
-The Tales of the Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn
-The first DragonLance book(not remembering title or author)
-Rereading The Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones
-Several books on writing/fantays authors for my book-club-turned-writing-class

Other than that, I have been addicted to BOE and haven't really read anything. As punishment, my friends have refused me mental hugs for the next 48 hours. :(

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #28
The last book I read was Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. It was really good.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #29
A nice little series by Naomi Novik including Black Powder War and Throne of Jade may be of interest to the naval stories crowd. It is a dragon rider series set during the Napoleonic wars, very interesting. Napoleon is fighting against Germany and England with dragons.

http://www.temeraire.org/index.cgi?pagetype=writing&series=Temeraire

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #30
Raymond E. Feist is probably my favorite author. He's managed to keep the quality reasonably high over a very long series of books. I recommmend beginning with Magician: Apprentice.

I also greatly enjoy Terry Brooks. Currently, I'm reading some Forgotten Realms stuff. Some authors are better than others. I recommend R. A. Salvatore and Paul S. Kemp.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

R. A. Salvatore
I enjoyed The Crystal Shard greatly, but when I tried to read more, I found that I just couldn't get into the rest of the series.

[ Wednesday, August 02, 2006 06:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
China Miéville is extremely worth reading for industrial fantasy unlike anything I've ever seen elsewhere. He is, if nothing else, always good for a new anthropomorphic creature. (Cactus? Check!)

—Alorael, who also recently reread Catch-22. Yes, it's still brilliant. He should look into getting the sequel.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
quote:
—Alorael, who also recently reread Catch-22. Yes, it's still brilliant. He should look into getting the sequel.

I read the sequel when it came out and found it wasn't quite as good as the original. Some of the absurbities in the sequel seem to be just to show he could write anything.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #34
John dies at the end. I'm really tired so I aint gonna bother putting up a link but its a brilliant online read.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #35
I can't stand China Mieville-- it is bad political discourse of the dialectic kind written into well written fantasy, the political spider eggs make it unreadable for me. If you can swallow the politics, which make little sense in the modern context, it would be very readable. I won't.

Let me see. Back to stuff.

[ Thursday, August 03, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #36
So, I've been living in this apartment for almost three months, and I just now got all my books unpacked and on their respective shelves. :rolleyes:

In the process, I categorized them. Anyway, here is a list of just about every novel I own, all of which are IMHO worth reading at least once.

[ Friday, August 11, 2006 00:00: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
Bram Stocker?

—Alorael, who feels a mixture of pride and confusion at the fact that he has read the vast majority of that list, including several entries that just aren't worth the trees that died for their printings.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #38
Bram Stocker is a distant relative of Bram Stoker who works the night shift at 7- 11.

Right now I am starting a very thick book called Warrener's Beastie A Novel of the Deep by William R. Trotter. William R. Trotter is a distant relative of Harry Trotter, the deranged nephew of Harry Potter.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #39
That's what happens when you type things up late at night. :rolleyes: Typo Fixed.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #40
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
How to Breathe Underwater - forget
Stones from a River - Ursula something
Tin Drum - Gunter Grass
The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #41
Newest addition: Coraline, by Neil Gaiman. Children's horror. Short but very good.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #42
I've gotten lost in secrets. That is, 'The Valley of Secrets' by Charmian Hussey, which is just an excellent book. I can't wait to finish it.

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Riibu's Kolo - January Blues - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #43
Haven't read much recently, but I read the first Pendragon book a few months ago. It was okay. I tried reading the second but got too bored to continue pretty early in the book. Re-read Harry Potter 6 a few months ago too.

I'm looking forward to reading Captain Underpants and the Preposterous Plight of the Purple Potty People when it comes out in three days. Yes, I'm too old for those silly books. No, I don't really care. Those books keep me amused. :P

Also looking forward to The End, the final installment in "A Series of Unfortunate Events", coming out in two months.

[ Saturday, August 12, 2006 05:51: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #44
Yep, R.A. Salvatore is very good, his books are neat and shiny.

Go out and read Dragon Champion, by E.E. Knight. Its freakin Sweet, i enjoyed it much. Its very unique. So yeah.

Also, Star Wars, New Jedi Order. I read the series, and they are very well written. If your a star wars fan, i suggest it. But...its a very long series. More than just a trilogy. Ok, bye

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #45
I own the whole NJO set. Good books indeed, especially Star by Star.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #46
YAY! Star by Star is my favorite one. because, nobody really enters a batlle then leaves without a scratch. And many deaths...which made it sweeter.

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Warrior
Member # 3241
Profile #47
I recently reread the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy(Was it right? It's got a different name in finnish.) and all of the other books in the series. I also compared Harry Potter 6 english version and finnish version. Before that, I finally finished the Lord of the Rings english version, and proceeded to read Silmarillion. Now I'm bored.

[ Thursday, August 17, 2006 05:41: Message edited by: Bestrafer_fin ]

--------------------
Visit the www.monkkonen.net and if you like, be the member of the forums.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #48
I just reread for the umpteenth time the Harry Potter series and proceeded to buy the Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch Through the Ages books on Amazon.

Peter David is a very good SF author. In my opinion he is best at his Star Trek books, especially the New Frontier books.

Simon Green is good too, he writes SF and fantasy too and even though his plots aren't too new, he is a fun read.

Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series is BETTER than Harry Potter. Just read it and you'll see.

And if you haven't read Narnia yet, you are missing an awful lot...

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Travian The Roost
Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.

I like the French. They always go ^^. It's even infectious, if you catch the joke ^^ .
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

Peter David is a very good SF author. In my opinion he is best at his Star Trek books, especially the New Frontier books.
David is alright, but the best Star Trek authors are Diane Carey, J.M. Dillard, and Diane Duane.

[ Thursday, August 17, 2006 09:02: Message edited by: TM Valorim ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages