What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #600
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

I am starting the fourth book of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. The series is really excellent. The title is A Feast for Crows. It is off to a good start.
Too bad he has no idea when he's going to finish it. In any case, I've been reading some of Jim Butcher's work, which while its not exactly quality work is fairly amusing, and light. I'm also looking into getting some Terry Pratchett in Russian, as I've been told that the reading experience/content varies widely from language to language.

[ Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:03: Message edited by: Sticky ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #601
I finished the thing yesterday. The next book in the series is A Dance with Dragons. My favorite character in the book is Brienne, The Maid of Tarth. Samwell is also very interesting. I wish George R.R. Martin would stay focused on A Dance with Dragons, he just released a two volume series of short stories.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #602
quote:
Originally written by Sticky:

I've been reading some of Jim Butcher's work, which while its not exactly quality work is fairly amusing, and light.
The only book of his I've read is the first of the Dresden Files, and it struck me as a much lighter version of Glen Cook's Garrett series set on modern Earth instead of a modern-ish fantasy world.

—Alorael, who gives Glen Cook the distinction of being one of very few fantasy authors who can apparently manage to write an endless series without having it fall apart. Maybe it helps that it's mostly a series in the sense that detective novels with the same protagonist are series.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #603
Read the book Knots and Crosses

-Alorael, who is stealing member 335's signature, warns that it extensively talks about racism

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #604
quote:
Originally written by SlaughteringSevile:

-Alorael, who is stealing member 335's signature, warns that it extensively talks about racism
Truly a first. Even the noobs who copy Alo's sig usually have the decency not to impersonate him by copying the name too.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #605
Chill, seriously, it would be impossible to impersonate member 335's name, he changes it 3 times a day!

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #606
Once a day, and since I'm identifiable only by member number, post count and signature, and since most people don't habitually read numbers even on Spiderweb, I'd prefer to have my signature left to me.

—Alorael, who means this in all seriousness, unlike his complaints about the use of the "emdash name comma who et cetera" format, which he expresses only 90% seriousness.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #607
Hah, I've decided I'm from the same place as you are now. Oops, darn, for some reason I can only be from Ashes to Ashes, the machines doesn't let me add the phrase Scribbane is Wonderful, modding privileges perhaps. Give me a one star.

[ Tuesday, December 04, 2007 01:47: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #608
It sure looks like you added it to me. Not quite right, but close enough.

—Alorael, who is not everyone! He is neither Imban nor Zxquez! He demands individuality!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #609
It's rare for someone able to generate an emdash to stoop so low as to steal a sig. So it's kind of a checksum.

(The secret of course is to hold the - key down hard, and concentrate. If your chi is strong enough, the — will appear. Do, or do not. There is no "try".)

[ Tuesday, December 04, 2007 09:24: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #610
Anyways, I am reading, The Panic Hand Stories by Jonathan Carroll. It is very close to magical realism. I don't know how to describe his writing, but it is very strange.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #611
I'm reading Dzur by Steven Brust, but you really need to start the series with Jhereg to understand what's happened so far.

It's easier to read a stand alone book by him like To Reign in Hell that explains how the world was made.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #612
I'm on my next title, The Atomic Bazaar, The Rise of the Nuclear Poor by William Langewiesche. The best part of the book is the story of A.Q. Khan, the father of Pakinstan's bomb. It is a very interesting story.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #613
Did anyone else read "Djur" in Randomizer's post?

In any case, I'm still buried in unread Asimov tales. But a colleague has just introduced me to Iain Banks and one other whose name I forget (Gerald something? May have been Gerald Vance, but Google shows a couple of others.)

In whose Wikipedia entry I just saw that he wrote a novel titled "Consider Phlebas", which from the title alone must be instant bad-ass.

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 13:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #614
I just finished Consider Phlebas. I'll leave it up to you to judge for yourself whether it is instant badass or not.

The one of Banks' I enjoyed the most (so far) was Against a Dark Background.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #615
Banks's titles are great. The books are okay, I guess, but ultra space opera is all beginning to blur together for me now. Already I have only faint impressions of just whose giant spaceships, enormous interstellar cultures and vast cosmic evils are whose.
In the end I think the only thing I'll really remember at all from this phase will be A Fire Upon the Deep.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #616
I've decided that in my spare time I would return to reading the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, though for the life of me I can't find my copy of his fourth book in the series, The Shadow Rising.

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 17:23: Message edited by: JMAN123 ]

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #617
The Elements of Style Illustrated is a pretty interesting book. It includes watercolors with captions from the text. The text itself of course is the best part of it. It gives both excellent instructions on how to write and is entertaining.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #618
I've just finished The Golden Compass and The Subtle Knife. Now I'm working through The Amber Spyglass...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #619
That series caused me to sleep only three hours a night. One of the best books I've read and it saddens me they're making it into a movie.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #620
Well I don't think you'll ever have to worry about the last two being made into movies...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #621
I'm reading George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, too!! It's absolutely brilliant!! I'm up to part 2 of book 3, and I have to wait until my friend finishes with book 4 before he lends it to me -_-... want more and more and more!

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Apprentice
Member # 12639
Profile #622
I'm getting really impatient for him to finish A Dance Of Dragons (Book 5). A Feast For Crows just didn't fuffil.

--------------------
Why only have World War 3 when you can have SO MUCH MORE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!It's so easy when your EVIL!
Apprentice
Member # 12639
Profile #623
Another good series, a cant remember its name, its a space opera, the first book is Hidden Empire, the second A Forest Of Stars, really interesting books.

--------------------
Why only have World War 3 when you can have SO MUCH MORE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!It's so easy when your EVIL!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #624
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Well I don't think you'll ever have to worry about the last two being made into movies...
Truth. Seriously, that movie was so... disappointing. My first midnight showing and it was wasted, just like so many other first times.

In other news, Calvin and Hobbes never goes out of style.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil

Pages