What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #575
Just finished To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. Nice little novel on time travel and the implications surrounding the changes in destiny that can inadvertently be made. Title is a reference to a Jerome K. Jerome book about three men and a journey up the Thames that was written in the 1800's, which is another good read.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #576
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It's been at least six years since I read it, and a few days ago I heard it dramatized on BBC so I decided to read it again.

It's surprising how much your attitude can change towards a book over time: When I last read it, it was merely a confusing but hilarious jumble of oddities (I only remembered electric monks and time machines). Now that I've read a lot more and I'm somewhat older - and more familiar with Coleridge - it's simply breathtaking. Mysterious and magnificent.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #577
I just read "The Thief" by Megan Whalen Turner. It was okay - my main objection was that first person narratives in which the narrator reveals sudden plot twists that were within his knowledge all along are a bit disingenuous, however much they may enrich the story.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #578
ACK!!! I realize this is a double post. I apologize.

---

quote:
Originally written by Xian:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. It's been at least six years since I read it, and a few days ago I heard it dramatized on BBC so I decided to read it again.
The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul is probably my favorite humorous novel ever. Chapter 3 alone, where Adams describes the process of Dirk waking up, is among the most fantastic prose I've ever read.

[ Tuesday, October 30, 2007 18:59: Message edited by: Drew ]
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #579
By Thuryl:
quote:
I'm not sure how much of it is the book itself and how much is Wikipedia, but that book looks pretty terrible. Then again, I'm of the opinion that Popper is the most overrated philosopher of science of the 20th century, so I would say that.
Preaching to the choir here. Although the book's chapters on Popperian epistemology are more anti-instrumentalist.

But yeah; the book ends with showing how Tipler's Omega Point works under Deutsch's theory of everything. I'd say more, but I really don't feel like writing more on the subject.

--------------------
He has the first half of the Golden Rule down pat: Do unto others.
- John McCarthy
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #580
I just finished reading William C. Dietz, When All Seems Lost -- part of the Legion of the Damned series of military science fiction. This was an excellent piece of military science fiction. The president of the Confederacy of worlds is captured by alien bugs, but they don't realize he is the president. He and his compatriots are sent to a bug forced alien labor camp to build a space elevator. The Vice President is trying to prove the president is dead so he can take over. A secret cyborg and walker crew is sent in to rescue the president. Cyborg spies, bug treachery, an evil turncoat human. A lot of fun to read.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #581
I just started reading Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis. It is a biography of the Charles Schulz. There are peanuts strips throughout the book which correspond with his personal life which is kind of interesting. It is interesting even if it is a very normal quiet seeming life. There are some interesting insights into the comic strip throughout. So far, it is worth reading.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #582
Been reading Danse Macabre by Stephen King. Good stuff—has King ever written a revision to the book? I'm sure the horror genre has done something past the early '80s.

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #583
I just finished a novel by the name of April Witch, by Majgull Axelsson. The premise was good, but the book moved so slowly through the plot that it started getting tedious. Then again, when flashbacks make up two-thirds of the book, that's not really surprising.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #584
Ecotopia. Boring and bland. Not really worth reading about an utopia with basically no plot and fairly well-known ideas.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #585
Dikiyoba, if you want to read something really interesting try getting a copy of "A Safe and Sustainable World, The Promise of Ecological Design" by Nancy Jack Todd. John Todd is the inventor of Living machines-- bioremediation systems for wastewater, as well as one of the creators of the idea of artificial wetlands for sewage treatment. The couple were involved in developing the New Alchemy Institute and Ocean Arks International which are both very interesting stories.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #586
I am reading a short story collection by Elizabeth Moon called Moon Flights. There is a nice short introduction by Anne McCaffrey. It is a mix of science fiction and fantasy short stories geared towards sword and sorcery and military science fiction.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #587
I recently read To Kill a Mockingbird in school, and now I wish to divulge into my favorite Steinbeck novels.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #588
I finished reading a graphic novel called American Born Chinese, I am working on the Bonehunters by Steven Erikson. Kharsa Orlong is one of my favorite characters in fantasy. It is an excellent fantasy novel about the attempt by Malazan to conquer the final stronghold of the rebel Seven Cities. There is also a war of the gods going on as well. The novel is full of action, intrigue, and darkness. The writing style is very dark. I could compare it in some ways to Glen Cook's dark company novels.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #589
Reading the Da Vinci Code. Everything with a pinch of salt, although there are facts in there, like the fact that there is a museum called the Louvre...

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #590
Ah, yes. Quite the redeeming factor, that. :P

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #591
Just finished Hammer of Eden. A bit graphic, but I like the fact that both main characters are antagonist and protagonist.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #592
I am starting the fourth book of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. The series is really excellent. The title is A Feast for Crows. It is off to a good start.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #593
Hello,
I finished A Feast for Crows which was excellent. I am starting on reading Ha Jin, A Free Life, about a family that moves to the United States from China after the Tiananmien square incident. It gives a very focused story of the immigrant experience. So far it has a very realistic flavor.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #594
I am currently reading two books, one for school, the other for pleasure. They are And Then There Were Known, by Agatha Christie, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #595
I have to undertake a reading project in school. The novel to be completed must be included in the list my instructor gave us. She also insists we choose three different novels as she will not accept two students reading the same book. My choices are Don Quixote, Great Expectations, and Lord of the Flies.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #596
Great Expectations has to be my second least favorite book I ever read in an English class, coming in ahead of only Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I suppose that says something about the kind of writing I prefer.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #597
I just read Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow. In German, alas, but it was still awesome. I found it in a train station bookshop. The German title is completely different (Backup) but I knew the book and its synopsis, so I recognized it.

I chose it over getting a German copy of His Dark Materials, which I last read at the school library four years ago. That one I definitely want in English, so Amazon it is.

quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I recently read To Kill a Mockingbird in school, and now I wish to divulge into my favorite Steinbeck novels.
I don't think that word means what you think it means. You don't normally divulge anything into a book, unless its a diary. ;)

[ Saturday, December 01, 2007 18:20: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #598
Nalyd's current author is Ray Bradbury. Currently reading, of course, Fahrenheit 451.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #599
On Thanksgiving and the day after I read Neal Stephenson's The Big U. It's definitely a first book and even more insane than his later ones, but it's also a great send-up of both university life and giant, mutant sewer rats.

—Alorael, who recommends it to anyone who has ever been to college but probably not anyone who is thinking about going to college. It might give you the wrong ideas.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages