What have you been reading lately?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading lately?
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #325
Getting back on topic -

Reading Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter. There's nothing like seeing a reprint of a classic.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #326
Started reading "Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville after hearing good things about it. Not sure what I think about "steampunk" as a genre...
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #327
I'm reading one of those annual sci-fi anthologies, at a snail's pace due to classes... Year's Best SF - 9. Not exactly a title that inspires confidence, but most of it's decent.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #328
I'm reading 'The Brothers Karamazov' for the second time, but in Russian this time. I'm not quite sure what it adds to read it in the original language, but reading books in a language sure seems to help me learn the grammar and vocab.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #329
School sucks... I haven't read a work of fiction for months.

--------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.
- Steven Wright
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #330
I just read the Iraq Study Group Report. It was a very disappointing watered down document. A lot of it was rhetoric-- which didn't say much at all. Because it is bipartisan, many of the things in the document would be only implemented by Republicans, and many of the things would only be implemented by Democrats. The document read like it was split down the middle. I can't imagine that it will actually make a huge amount of impact, no matter who is in office. Too much of it is unimplementable.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #331
Political Speeches of the 90's was absolutely hilarious.

--------------------
The Survival Elite
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #332
I am starting The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke. The best part of this collection of short stories is the illustrator, Charles Vess, who does fantastic fairy tale style illustrations in the victorian tradition.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #333
I am currently reading the Space Opera Renaissance, Edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer. It is a collection of short stories and novellas. It is 940 pages long and contains a lot of classic and good quality space opera. Among my favorite stories so far are The Remoras, Enchantress of Venus by Leigh Brackett, The Game of Rat and Dragon by Cordwainer Smith, Empire Star by Samuel R. Delany, Donald Kingsbury-- The Survivor, and Recording Angel by Paul J Mcauley. This book has a lot of really good space opera in it.

--------------------

Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #334
(gah, double posting)
I am just reading stuff for school.
I really should get to my homwork...

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #335
I'm reading a book called White Rhino Hotel. It's pretty boring, and if it doesn't get better soon I'll put it down.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #336
Having read a lot of miscellaneous oddments, I've now moved on to Endymion the third book in the hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons. This truly is an excellent series, I absolutely would recommend anyone to read at least the first book (Hyperion).

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #337
I just finished reading A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by ishmael beah. It is a rather interesting story about survival in Sierra Leone, first boy gets his family killed by rebel soldiers, he wanders trying to stay alive then gets recruited at 12 to join the army, then wanders through the forest fighting rebel groups, then he gets sent to un rehab, and eventually escapes Sierra Leone when civil war restarts.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #338
A truly excellent read is Every Inch A King by Harry Turtledove. It is a nice humorous fantasy about a circus acrobat and his friend who is a sword swallower passing themselves off as a king and his aide de camp, for several days then absconding with a large portion of the royal treasury. Lots of memorable moments, a sea serpent swalling a vampires coffin, a werewolf putting on gloves to pick up silver coin, and many other memorable pieces.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #339
Okay, I've now read all of China Mieville's "Bas-Lag" novels - "Perdido Street Station," "The Scar," and "Iron Council," and I think out of them, I liked "The Scar" the best. I think you have to read the first one though in order to truly understand his setting, but it was a pretty entertaining ride in its own right, if a bit gritty/Dickens-esque. Certainly a heckuva lot better than other run of the mill fantasy stuff out there, like the Eddings books.
Warrior
Member # 311
Profile #340
I don't know if anyone has said this yet because I havn't been keeping up with the boards, but I've been reading Everworld. It's reaaally good!!

--------------------
I stand at the gates of hell and hand out brochures.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #341
I finished A Clockwork Orange a few weeks ago. Very awesome. You have to read it if you haven't already.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #342
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams.
The movie is very good too, starring
Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman.

Still, most of my time goes to boring books about maths, physics and social studies.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #343
I'm slowly working my way through the LotR trilogy. Alas, I've been too busy and have barely had time to finish the first book.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #344
I have started China Mieville's new book Un Lun Dun. It is illustrated by China so it is a bit better than the other books. The illustrations are wonderful and strange so it is worth looking at even if you find his writing a bit off putting.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #345
Finished A Clash of Kings a day ago. I refuse to read the remaining two books of the series until I catch up on homework.

Yeah, right.

--------------------
Who will be the moron after Gortok's white-hot anger crushes your little body into a mangled bloody pulp while Gortok sings a jaunty tune to accompany your unanswered cries for mercy?
- Gortok (OotS #132)
Apprentice
Member # 7992
Profile #346
Foundation - Isaac Asimov (it is a sheer masterpiece)

The Saga Of Seven Suns - Kevin J. Anderson (well written space opera)

First and Only - Dan Abnett (Very interesting book in a heavily detailed universe)

--------------------
Slate Beauty
I Look Down From
Castle of the Winds
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #347
I've read a bunch of books and stuff since I last posted, but I won't make a long list.

Only lately, I reread Pratchett's Going Postal. And then there was some other book which I read before that, but I don't actually remember what it was anymore. I have a few books from the library waiting by until I have a long enough moment to spend reading. It seems I have all kinds of other things to do, all the time, other than reading, which is kind of sad. In a way. :\

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Riibu's Kolo - January Blues - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #348
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Finished A Clash of Kings a day ago. I refuse to read the remaining two books of the series until I catch up on homework.

Yeah, right.

I will make it even harder for you by revealing that A Storm of Swords is definitely the best book in the series. :P

[ Thursday, March 29, 2007 14:53: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #349
I fell hard for Stephenson back when Crypto came out. Since then I've completed the cycle, and sum, of his works. He is either brilliant, has a remarkable personal assistant, or is a deeply disturbed human being.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."

Pages