OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #351
Goldenking: Um, no. Golddale abandoned? A rebellion starting? I'm in the midst of using the city as a staging area for my advance into North Karnold. Golddale has been the city I use the most in this RP; if I have a capital outside of the College, it's either it or Storm Port. I don't think an armed band would go unnoticed so close to my power base. If you must start a rebellion somewhere, sneak your men east to Lennus and Squiggus, where the Dominion has much less of a presence. Anywhere else would require MUCH more foreshadowing before you do it.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not shoot at any of my enemies if they are standing in front of the crucial support beam to a heavy, dangerous, unbalanced structure.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #352
Okay, the people just went to hide from the sky in the mines. The rebellion is mostly because they think you did this. Blame the mages when something super natural happens, that makes sense right? Plus if you convince them it wasn't you you could end it before it started. Or you could do it with blood and become unpopular.

--------------------
The ending has not yet been written.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #353
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

Please, Tyranicus, I DO know that the planet (not world, specifically speaking) is called Ermarian, and that Valorim is a continent.
What exactly is the difference between a world and a planet?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #354
A world can mean more than one thing, it can be metaphorical and dynamic. There is the universal world as in planet Earth, but there is also a subjective world that contains everything important to the individual.

Planet is a more scientific definition (although there is always some debate on what should and should not be a planet), but typically it is reserved for a large body, whether rocky or gaseous, orbiting a star.

In other words, world can mean the same thing as planet, but can be different depending on the context.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #355
I'm confused... who is Goldenking leading now? Where are the Hunters? What happened to the Alliance?

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #356
GK's got the Order of the Bright Star (OBS). The Alliance of Science and Education (ASE) is being controlled jointly by TM and Alec. The Hunters are an NPC rebel band out to destroy the OBS and the ASE.

[ Tuesday, April 18, 2006 03:25: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #357
Yes, I'm still alive. I haven't written an IC in a while, but nothing important is going on where I am. I'll be sure to write an IC soon.

I don't know what you are asking Wonko, but if its an attack on the Dominion, then probably not right this second. It looks like there's gonna be a conflict in North Karnold soon, and I wanna wrap that up before going South.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #358
The ASE is no more; McCallister is the Director of the Enlightenment.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #359
Damn... here we go.

I'll be trying to write an IC post... soon. That's really all I can promise. Life hates me, and I hate it back.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #360
Just FYI, none of the factions know about the Rakshasi unless they were scrying specifically for that purpose. The Dominion might be able to know that the Rakshasi arrived and *maybe* where they went in Valorim, but that's about it.

(In Valorim, the Rakshasi are in the old Troglo Castle area.)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #361
K, just waiting for TM's response then.

You see, being a huge group of bandits and all, all I can really do is fight. You can use poisons and clever plans and propaganda, but I'm either fighting or doing nothing. Since the Dominion is the only foe left, I figured I should attack it.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #362
Please tell me what is an acceptable time for me to post. We'll just pretend my lastpost was not one day, but four or five days.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #363
TM, I'll leave it up to you whether or not my forces in Angel's Rest will bump into the tigers. Could Aran's faction possibly know anything about them? I have a feeling that a joint-faction party will need to be sent out soon, that would be cool.

By Wonko:
quote:
You see, being a huge group of bandits and all, all I can really do is fight. You can use poisons and clever plans and propaganda, but I'm either fighting or doing nothing. Since the Dominion is the only foe left, I figured I should attack it.
I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me...

--------------------
One... word. ONE WORD!!!
- Vaarsuvius (OotS)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #364
The Rakshasi haven't bothered attacking you yet unless you've attacked them.

EDIT: This assumes that you KNOW of them. And yours is the only faction that would.

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 18:30: Message edited by: Butt Paladin ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #365
Nah. One of the limits I placed on my faction is that it wouldn't engage in long-distance scrying unless it was important enough that it would divert the crystals from another project (like the weather spell). Since all my faction knows is that the Red Star originated in Vantanas, it's not overly worried yet. The most I would do is research anything like it in my libraries; maybe Aran's faction would have better luck, if he's still in.

Besides, I've got bigger things to worry about. The Anama hate me. The Looters will be attacking for lack of any other enemy. *Army is shaking things up. ASE is setting itself up as a rival. And, of course, the only faction in Avernum friendly to me just had its leader garroted. (Lartaynior, you fool, you know you shouldn't be mixing with the uneducated rabble!)

I don't know why everyone hates the mages. It's not like they're trying to start a war, or anything. :P

--------------------
All that we're saying, is give peas a chance.
- Carrot Juice is Murder (The Arrogant Worms)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #366
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I don't know why everyone hates the mages. It's not like they're trying to start a war, or anything. :P
Yea.

EDIT: Post #365. Wow, does that mean a year has passed?

[ Wednesday, April 19, 2006 19:52: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #367
A year? Hardly. More like, say, a month. If that.

Anyway, as for the destruction of Angel's Rest: I'm assuming that the city was never all that well armed, and the primary advantage the Rakshasi had in the battle was the advantage of surprise. If Erhart can convince Demetrius of the imperative notion of the conflict, then you should be able to fight back.

(Rakshasi indeed absorb all magical spells as regained health, but they're perfectly vulnerable to things like being stabbed in the face.)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #368
A tad over three weeks.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #369
A few questions before I respond IC:

What happened to the Battlemagi force I had in Angel's Rest? Still there/Wiped out/Retreated/Hiding? Completely wiped out seems a little harsh; it was a major expedition of mine.

Was anything my men did useful? I'm fine with a fireball being useless, but a boulder levitated by magic and thrown should be crude but effective.

Also, any hints on how much my scholars would know about Rakshasi would be nice.

Unless I think of anything brilliant before I post, I'm probably going to hedgehog. My faction isn't based in melee, and I have no melee-based faction willing to ally. The most I could do I create a NPC mercenary faction, which would be over-powered. Time for a drastic strategy change.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not design my Main Control Room so that every workstation is facing away from the door.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #370
Well, you might know about Rakshasi in your libraries... But your expeditionary force would not know of them, nevermind how to beat them. And yeah, the boulders might be effective, but the fireballs would cancel out the boulders' effect.

Anyway, I was under the assumption that your battlemagi were not THAT well trained. Plus, their tendency to hurl fireballs would make them highly vulnerable to being massacred. If you want to claim that they were simply not in town at the time and fled when they saw it burning, that's cool too.

And it'd be entirely possible for you to make alliances and adjust your strategy-- encouraged, in fact. But your men's first encounter with a magic-absorbing foe is damned to be disastrous.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 13:12: Message edited by: Butt Paladin ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #371
Yes - magical damage is absorbed by Rakshasi and turned into HP. Good old fashioned arrows are probably the best way to bring them down.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #372
On the other hand, the Rakshasic warriors are armed. Plus, even if they do get struck something awful by an arrow, a fireball will do more than cauterize the wound. So the key to any fight will be finding a way to take out the magi.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 16:47: Message edited by: Butt Paladin ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #373
quote:
Originally written by Butt Paladin:

On the other hand, the Rakshasic warriors are armed. Plus, even if they do get struck something awful by an arrow, a fireball will do more than cauterize the wound. So the key to any fight will be finding a way to take out the magi.
So, if there's ever a mage and a melee-er in the same fight, we lose.

Well.

I give up. Hedgehogging sounds good to me... hopefully an IC post soon.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #374
Firestorms are not magic.

They are explosions of fire created using a magical source. The source has nothing to do with the effect in the same way that the effect of throwing a boulder with magic ignores the source.

[ Thursday, April 20, 2006 21:02: Message edited by: radix malorum est cupiditas ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #375
Rakshasi absorb all elemental damage too.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages