OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
This is pretty self-explanatory. Direct all future OoC posts here, so we can avoid cluttering up the real thread with everyone's OoC arguments.

Topics currently up for debate:
-Aran's maps, and the accuracy thereof.
-The controversial dating of posts.

I'm against post-dating, but I like the maps. My one gripe is the size of Vantanas... but that's been discussed already.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
In fact, a lot of people are disputing the maps.

Alec is drawing up another version. If he wins whatever three-way tussle this is going to mean with TM and Drakey, I'll redo the thing for his map.

For now, the current RP resources.

- Faction roll
- Surface map
- Avernum map

Some regular summaries would be nice to have here as well.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #2
On that note, we may need a map of Upper Avernum as well...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #3
http://alec.desperance.net/superpra3.PNG

Consult this map for how Valorim-Pralgad look.

EDIT: Duh. The directional arrows went in before I put in the rose, so rotate them by a few degrees in your head if you want that as a reference.

Maps of Vantanas and Aizo en route.

N.B.: Valorim is astoundingly difficult to reach by sea, being surrounded in many places by rocks and reefs and generally possessed of inclement weather for sailing; this is why major oceangoing ports in Exile 3 are few and far between, and the largest settlement on the continent, before the Plagues, was Fort Tinraya, reachable only by land. Gale is the largest port city owing to its proximity to Pralgad, whence most settlers came. Krizsan, the major port of call for trade from Pralgad, Aizo, and the south, is comparatively small.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 12:44: Message edited by: The Worst Man Ever ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Alec, the map is beautiful. Though Valorim still looks kind of huge to me. *shrug*

I've updated the RP Roster. It's much easier to read now, I put in a few links, and most significantly I've put in troop and outpost locations where those have been specified (with guesses for a few people, like Drakey). I may have missed some -- especially Tyran's -- so feel free to post corrections.

Alec, I'll add a link to your map tomorrow, I gotta run.

P.S. It makes little sense to me that Valorim would be between the other three continents, considering that it wasn't even *discovered* until after all three others had been heavily colonized... and that's game canon. :P

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #5
Thus the reefs and the mountains. It's hell to reach it most ways, but land is by a damn sight easier than by sea, so it got colonized once Pralgad started getting well-settled.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #6
Slarty, my theory on the late colonization of Valorim is that the Empire never was united. It has gone under major revolutions periodically, each time with all histories erasing all mention of said rebellion.

And please, everyone stop stomping on GoldenKing. He's made mistakes, but remember that HE HAS STOPPED POSTING FOR A FEW DAYS. He has had enough advice on how to run his faction, so let's not overwhelm him when he gets back.

EDIT: GoldenKing's forces are in control of the cities on the south-west coast of Valorim. Anything else has but a token presence.

--------------------
Life is like a simile.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 14:40: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #7
quote:
Aran:
I was never at the north end of the mountains. I had intended to be at the southeastern end originally, but Prem's directions made more sense if it was at the western foot, and since I hadn't specified it before there was no harm in adjusting. I'm definitely south of you, Slarty, and north of Thralni.
My directions are pretty vague, though, for a few reasons. First, you hadn't specified. Second, the Avatar isn't omniscient - he remembers you, but not your exact location. And third - it's character building for my cleric to wander around the mountains. No need to change your placement on my account.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #8
Sorry I haven't been posting, I've been busy. By the map, I should control the central part and the southern part of Aizo. As I said in my post, Vahkohs was headed to the south to accept them into the AE, with the north to follow fairly soon. I haven't yet read pages 4, 5, and 6, but if at least a month has past, I should openly control the whole continent.

Edit: Openly, both in that now all citzens of Aizo will recognize Vahkohs as their Emperor, and in that now that the trading ships are going out, word is going to start getting around about the AE.

Edit 2: And Slarty, it's Vahkohs

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 17:46: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
You know, I'm not sure I've ever spelled that damn vampire's name right.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
OOC: If there are no objections, I will put a faction overlay on Alec's new map this afternoon.

Meanwhile, it would be good to hear more comments on what should be changed from the first map.

Anyway, what's done is done. The current position isn't problematic, really, and you can still wander around the mountains quite a ways. It would be stupid to build a library immediately facing the coast when a single ship with a good fire cannon (say, of the Anama church) could wipe out the entire complex...

---

Premonition: Is Mareike passing by the river near the Jsoulza, or one of the rivers through the inland sea? it would make little difference, I suppose, but I'll be able to scry her earlier if she is travelling closer to the mainland.

Slartucker: From your post, I gathered the goblins are sending out spies. I had one of my patrols try to capture one, though whether they succeeded or not (or whether it was, in fact, a squirrel) is another matter.

[ Sunday, March 26, 2006 22:53: Message edited by: The Threadless Thread ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
Aran: I had planned my area to stretch a bit further east and south, but its no bother.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #12
I plan on a map of Aizo in the next few days. It's fairly large for a single faction to control - nearly as big as Pralgad-Valorim.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
I'll be home at 15:00 GMT today, I hope. If those with AIM could go to spidweb around that time, it will be a lot easier to coordinate the map - especially since I can upload interim versions and can take input on changes immediately.

Spring: No problem, but your territory is quite close to Prem's. Any closer, and you'll have to make contact soon.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #14
On an unrelated note to the maps, does TM agree to go along with my plan or not? I need to know so I can post.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
In my post The FNF entered dusk. This may seem a ltille fast, but remember that plans have had to change, so much time was lost.

Slartucker, due to a stupid mistake on my side, I made it the "FMF" instead of the "FNF." The "Merhas" should be "Nephilmerhas."

other than that, I'm vbery glad you updated the thing, but I still can't figure out what exactly the meanings of the colours are.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #16
Aran, I can only be on from 3-4 GMT, due to work (sigh).

And that means I can't post IC either...

But I can help you out if it's needed.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
Well, an hour is more than plenty. For the maps, I don't need help as such, just information on where you would place your faction (since this is Upper Exile and you apparently control most of it, it's not critical). :)

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Aran: it was a squirrel. I haven't said anything about sending out spies. Goblins are bad at stealth. If you want to find a way to capture some lone goblin who wandered off after drinking glug, though, that sounds reasonable.

However, you should probably wait until there are goblins near you, which there aren't quite yet. (Admittedly the story of the lone goblin who wandered off after drinking glug and found himself on another continent is kind of amusing, but still.) There will be soon.

Thralni: Dammit, I was hoping you fixed that part of the language! :P

Aran/Alec: Alec tells me there are reefs and other obstacles surrounding Valorim, which explains how it was uncolonized despite being in the midst of the other continents. If so, could we get some indication of this on the maps? Also, could we figure out how that works with regard to the Guild ships, and so on?

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #19
Sartucker, can you add in people's numbers as well?

If so, I have:
1000 ghouls
500 ghasts
250 ruby skeletons
150 quickghasts
100 specters
20 vampires
5 liches

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

Sartucker, can you add in people's numbers as well?

If so, I have:
1000 ghouls
500 ghasts
250 ruby skeletons
150 quickghasts
100 specters
20 vampires
5 liches

I'm amazed by those numbers. not because you have so many undead slaves, but because they are so... round. All so exact. You must have a good sense of how many of each you want to have.

And by the way, how many energy did it cost for your priests to summon them all?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #21
I do not want to add in numbers.

I said this in a few chats yesterday, so I should repeat it here. I think numbers are mostly bad. They will probably lead to rules lawyering. They cause continuity problems, because different people have different conceptions of what an appropriate size of a force is.

For example: Tyranicus initially put his man count in the hundreds. Then Alec put his troop count at 50,000 (which I think is ridiculous, but Alec and I both have good arguments about it). As a result, Tyran increased his numbers, and now there are 250 guards stationed at Fort Remote, in a passageway so narrow you can't fit a fifth of them comfortably in one line.

This is just an example, and they have toned down the numbers. But I would rather allow for a little vagueness and just have everyone use common sense.

That said, you do not have 5 liches.

Well, maybe you do have 5 liches, but if you have 5 liches you should explain how that happened. Liches are solitary and jealous creatures, and I have never heard of a lich willingly entering the service of another. Rentar-Ihrno had liches working for her, but first of all that's Avernum 4, so it's a little fishy, and secondly some of them (like Anastasia) were contracted, not actual followers. The others (like Garzahd) didn't seem quite right in the head, and she had all sorts of weird demon-magic going on anyway.

I suppose they are (relatively) weak liches?

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

I'm amazed by those numbers. not because you have so many undead slaves, but because they are so... round. All so exact. You must have a good sense of how many of each you want to have.

And by the way, how many energy did it cost for your priests to summon them all?

I was rounding and many, many years.
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

That said, you do not have 5 liches.

Well, maybe you do have 5 liches, but if you have 5 liches you should explain how that happened. Liches are solitary and jealous creatures, and I have never heard of a lich willingly entering the service of another. Rentar-Ihrno had liches working for her, but first of all that's Avernum 4, so it's a little fishy, and secondly some of them (like Anastasia) were contracted, not actual followers. The others (like Garzahd) didn't seem quite right in the head, and she had all sorts of weird demon-magic going on anyway.

I suppose they are (relatively) weak liches?

reletively weak is correct, reletive to a power-hungry arch-lich.

EDIT: After talking to people on AIM, the Liches were bribed with power/knowledge/not dying. There are 4+Krahn, kept on 4 map sections to prevent them from joining together to overthrow Krahn.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 06:40: Message edited by: Infernal666hate ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by The Worst Man Ever:

I plan on a map of Aizo in the next few days. It's fairly large for a single faction to control - nearly as big as Pralgad-Valorim.
I agree. However, I thought was somewhat balanced by the fact that Vahkohs is has little hope of getting the Aizoans to be in an offensive war. It's a lot of land and a lot of people, but, from what I've gathered concerning the Aizoans from the Encyclopedia Ermariana, those people have no inclination to be traveling to other continents to start a war.

Also, the more coastal parts of Aizo have only just joined my empire. A reasonably sized force could conceivably come in by sea, take over a few cities, and gain a foothold on Aizo. Or a few factions could join together for a full-scale invasion. Or some one could make a resistance faction on Aizo. Etc.

It's big, but I feel it is reasonably balanced.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #24
A few things:

Clarification for the Roster: O'Leary is a feudal lord, with a small military (NPC). The main cities controlled by the Dominion are Golddale, Storm Port, and Libras. Gebra, Gorst, Squiggus, and Lennus are also under control, but much less defended.

Also, since the actual location of Redmark College seems to be unspecified, I'm placing it in a valley north-west of Storm Port (Valley of the Ursagi in A3).

Nikki, I'm sending you a PM regarding the Fort Emergence dialog. It will stretch realism if it drags on too long.

EDIT: GoldenKing's not going to be happy about the lambswool when he comes back. It is a good IC balance, though. But still, you're going to need a lot of it.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I learn that a callow youth has begun a quest to destroy me, I will slay him while he is still a callow youth instead of waiting for him to mature.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 09:47: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]

Pages