OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: OoC Thread for "An RP in the World of Avernum... *Reloaded*"
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #25
Goldenking has resisted all of our OOC attempts to encourage him to balance his own power. He chose to force the issue. He can't complain.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #26
New maps.

Aizo and Vantanas will need to wait, but there's hardly any change going on there.

Upper Exile is belong to Nikki.
Avernum is only slightly adjusted.
Pralgad/Valorim is huge.

Edit: Pralgad. Pralgad, dammit.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 10:29: Message edited by: crazy kitten ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

EDIT: GoldenKing's not going to be happy about the lambswool when he comes back. It is a good IC balance, though. But still, you're going to need a lot of it.
Do you honestly think a bunch of druids can't speed up the growth of a tiny little herb? :P

But seriously, this is completely called for. I want to see how he keeps control of his faction when the coercion fails.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #28
It's not very important, but I thought you said on AIM that you were going to fix the map and put me in Fort Remote, Aran.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #29
I'm in the game now. Yay!

@The guy who plays the Dominion: In the description I wrote that my faction trades fish with yours, for gold I believe. Are you ok with this?

@TM my faction's resident mage is most very likely to be a member (or former)of the Guild.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
Did so. Just forgot to upload the new version.

---

Also, Milla?

Great to see you joined! It must have been... over two years since your last RP here or something? o_O

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #31
Aran: no worries. :) I would have been very surprised if you had reacted to Mareike's quest before she even boarded a ship. As it is, she's a little to the north of you right now.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
Heh. You picked an unfortunate time to pass through the Ndovlu, infested as it now is with goblins.

I'm tempted to scry your arrival and send out scouts, but this wouldn't be a real quest if you didn't spent some time searching. :P

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #33
Of course! It wouldn't be fun if everything was easy. <g>
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by crazy kitten:

Did so. Just forgot to upload the new version.

---

Also, Milla?

Great to see you joined! It must have been... over two years since your last RP here or something? o_O

2 years? Wow I didn't think it was that long. This is also the first time I've tried faction roleplay before.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
Ahem...

No more invisibility. Please.

Zephyr's invisible ship was bad enough (I'm pleased to see that the second one is losing power), but invisibility cloaks are stretching things. The recharge time makes it better, but it's still a stretch...

And spy crystals? Can we put some sort of ban on those? I thought we already talked about it with somebody else's faction...

That said, we're running up against the problem of too much magic again. So please, no more ship-summoning, wand-cannons, and spy crystals, please. It'll make this all a lot easier.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Ahem...

No more invisibility. Please.

Zephyr's invisible ship was bad enough (I'm pleased to see that the second one is losing power), but invisibility cloaks are stretching things. The recharge time makes it better, but it's still a stretch...

And spy crystals? Can we put some sort of ban on those? I thought we already talked about it with somebody else's faction...

That said, we're running up against the problem of too much magic again. So please, no more ship-summoning, wand-cannons, and spy crystals, please. It'll make this all a lot easier.

is this complaint of spy crystals because of my post? Then you misread it. These don't fucntion as things you can look in and see what's happening, but they only function as a warning for other people, as I explained. The cloaks can have a shorter amount of time that they can used if wanted, and the recharge time can be lengthened, if requested. These are the only important artifacts the Nephilim have, and that is less than what any other faction has for as far as I can tell. Others have scrying pools, a library full of very usefull books, a hoard of mages at their disposal, a hoard of undead, with more created all the time... I could go on with this for some time.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 23:00: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
A good policy is to make up no more than one kind of magical gimmic per post, and have it bring you only half-way to what you are trying to accomplish.

I broke that in my post where I captured the goblin (telepathy *and* forcecage), but I'll avoid too many thingamajigs from now on.

It's vital to note that to be overpowered, magic doesn't have to be the munchkin, apocalyptic world-rending type. It's enough to have a lot of little things that miraculously ease your path.

That said, Thralni, I do think invisibility is over the top. You don't need it. Nephilim are stealthy as all hell; you can sneak while visible, and it makes it far more stylish to avoid being seen. Remember, you're not playing for the win. If you are discovered, that just makes it even more suspenseful.

When people complain about other players overpowering, this is not because it is "cheating". You can't win this game, thus you can't cheat. They complain because it makes the story boring.

-------------------------------------------

Milla, where are you exactly? I'll do one more change on the map today to fix your position, after that it will be a week before the next update.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 23:20: Message edited by: crazy kitten ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
Then how does scrying work? I invented these cloaks only because I thought that the scrying will uncover anything I do. If that's not what scrying does, I can drop the cloaks, and I will drop them in that case.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
It's good form to allow for gaps and loopholes. I scry and scout the surrounding area almost all the time, but if I notice that Slarty is trying to bypass my guards, I'll let him - it makes it more interesting. Perhaps my scrying pool doesn't work properly. Perhaps I'm looking elsewhere right now. Perhaps the scrying mage is taking a leak. In return, I'd expect he doesn't raze my library to the ground.

Basically, we open loopholes for the others so they will do the same for us.

If we spent time trying to close the loopholes, we'd all be munchkining in no time, topping each other with "unblockable scrying spells" and "unscryable invisibility spells" and "universal anti-magic fields" and "universal anti-anti-anti-anti-magic spells". And so on.

So, I'd just try to enter the area, and if it's important, ask him in ooc if he'll allow you past his scrying spell.

[ Monday, March 27, 2006 23:46: Message edited by: crazy kitten ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #40
Changed the function of the cloaks. I hope the rest of the items can stay.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I'd like to ask that we do slow down a bit and try to limit it to about one post a day.
What if the two posts happen at two different places (at the same point in time)?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #42
Haha. I play devil's advocate and now oppose the position I took half a year ago. I should go into politics.

In MoS, I said the same - "please, slow down, people". We will slow down soon enough - sooner than we want to, in fact.

A better idea: Line-by-line summary in the OOC thread. It saved me when I had about 5 pages to catch up with in MoS. The sooner we start the summary, the less we have to catch up. This summary will make it very easy to get the gist of the story if you get disoriented.

---

Also, since this is a faction RP, take advantage of the minus character and divide your post into different scenes, like this.

---

Less clutter.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #43
Personally, the less magic and "advanced" technology the better. You don't need any magical gimmicks or magical "scrying pools" or communication devices. What's wrong with messengers, pigeons, scouts, etc.?

Submarines? Just cast "sanctuary" or something on a boat.

The reasons there have been no real technological advances on Ermarian is that magic has basically rendered it unnecessary.

But magic is rare and time-consuming. The way some of you have been acting is as if you have four Erikas in your faction working nonstop. That's just silly.

Also, I'm firmly against dating posts. It's unnecessary too.

And as for the maps, Alec and I have basically the same map, except our Aizo and Vantanas are switched.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #44
Aran: I control the isles of SE Karnold Province.

Although after reading the Dominion posts I realised my stuff contradicts what he has written.
Damn! I'll have to change the circumstances a bit. Firstly, the naval forces of Gebra and Gorst may been severely damaged by the mages but our many fishing boats were left largely intact.
Secondly, the mayors of the above towns did surrender so what do you say if my leader took control (elected) of Gorst and expanded from there. As well as setting up a trade agreement.

Does this work?

However if we catch any agents hanging around we may take them prisoner and sacrifice them to one of our Sea Gods. :)

Can't you see I'm itching to write that?

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #45
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Personally, the less magic and "advanced" technology the better. You don't need any magical gimmicks or magical "scrying pools" or communication devices. What's wrong with messengers, pigeons, scouts, etc.?
Magic is the only thing holding my faction together. Most living things want nothing to do with the undead and undead make poor messengers.
quote:

But magic is rare and time-consuming. The way some of you have been acting is as if you have four Erikas in your faction working nonstop. That's just silly.
Undead never have to stop to take a break or anything of the sort. And I only have one Erika with four advanced mages doing her bidding nonstop.

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 01:52: Message edited by: Infernal666hate ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

Submarines? Just cast "sanctuary" or something on a boat.

The reasons there have been no real technological advances on Ermarian is that magic has basically rendered it unnecessary.

Also, I'm firmly against dating posts. It's unnecessary too.

And as for the maps, Alec and I have basically the same map, except our Aizo and Vantanas are switched.

As much as I hate to say it, you're right. The reason I chose for magic as a way of cummication, is for the simple fact, that pigeons are nut reliable and may be intercepted and messengers are far too slow.

Summaries:

post 1: introduction
post 2: gathering outside the cave
post 3: appraoching Moon
post 4: attack on Moon
post 5: Sending messenger to Shayder; asking for alliance
post 6: Sending spies to all over Valorim

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 02:08: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #47
I have but one magicalobject - and it's only a plantir like device. Nothing that's gonna split the world in two...

Summary of my exploits then...

I'm allied with Tyranicus (who has offered me 2,000 men).

I'm in talks with GoldenKing's Dominion/Hunters.

My locations are clearly visible on Aran's maps, since I haven't expanded really...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #48
So no dating will be done, I see, but how is it going to be with day and night? People on the surface will have to show this in their posts. In my post it is dusk, but from the others I haven't seena nything about this yet. So how are we going to deal with this?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #49
quote:

Quoted for emphasis. In fact I'd really like to quote this again for emphasis.

quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

Undead never have to stop to take a break or anything of the sort. And I only have one Erika with four advanced mages doing her bidding nonstop.
Infernal, yesterday you argued to me that it was perfectly reasonable for your liches to be researching magic at a pace and success rate that was exponentially higher than that of the Tower of Magi at its height. If you only have "one Erika" that doesn't make any sense.

Also, your first sentence is patently false, when it comes to magic. Undead don't need to sleep, but liches have a limited reserve of magical energy just like any other spellcaster.

The bottom line: If multiple other players think that you are being unrealistic or unreasonable, that you are giving yourself too much power or hurting the balance and fun of the game, you need to listen to them.

Here's another good rule: if you're going to give yourself a useful magical ability, come up with a drawback as well. So I gave my goblins scrying ability, but it's craptastic and extremely unreliable. I made them smarter than usual, but they're still mostly stupid. I allowed them to reproduce like rabbits, but they're still clumsy and weak.

Aran has a tiny faction with barely anyone who can fight, so close range telepathy's not a big deal. Anyone else with telepathy would be a big deal. And so on.

Edit: "Magi" is plural. "Magus" is singular.

[ Tuesday, March 28, 2006 04:44: Message edited by: Slartucker ]

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages