G5 wishlist.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: G5 wishlist.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #225
You could put spines around his body so nobody can touch him without hurting themselfs.

--------------------
Whats the point of signature?
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #226
... Cooool

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #227
Igor made a good point in the G4 survey thread: we never really see much of the good that shaping can do.

So far the Geneforge series has made the Trakovite cause look appealing, because we've seen lots of shaping disasters. If G5 is going to end the series, then it will probably have to feature the Trakovite option prominently, since that would make for a real conclusion. But it would definitely raise the stakes of the game if we also saw shaping doing some unambiguous good — and not just in undoing damage done by shaping. Some idyllic place that had been howling desert before the landscape was shaped. Some gravely injured or handicapped people, perhaps so from birth, restored to health by shaping. Maybe even some intelligent creations that are neither slaves nor monsters. Something that makes shaping more than just a bad genie that should obviously be put back in the bottle if only that were possible.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 8036
Profile #228
I think thats a good idea

--------------------
Put your heart into all you do, even when it seems your are diving head first to your demise, for your heart knows the right path to a true victory!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #229
Definitely. Nalyd would go into a monologue spouting the benefits of Shaping here, but nobody cares. :(

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #230
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Igor made a good point in the G4 survey thread: we never really see much of the good that shaping can do.

So far the Geneforge series has made the Trakovite cause look appealing, because we've seen lots of shaping disasters. If G5 is going to end the series, then it will probably have to feature the Trakovite option prominently, since that would make for a real conclusion. But it would definitely raise the stakes of the game if we also saw shaping doing some unambiguous good — and not just in undoing damage done by shaping. Some idyllic place that had been howling desert before the landscape was shaped. Some gravely injured or handicapped people, perhaps so from birth, restored to health by shaping. Maybe even some intelligent creations that are neither slaves nor monsters. Something that makes shaping more than just a bad genie that should obviously be put back in the bottle if only that were possible.

That's a very good point. It has always felt kind of evil whenever I play through joining the Shapers. I always end up joining the Rebels/Takers/Awakened first because it's a bit hard to get over the fact that Shapers are so impliedly evil. However, it may be partly true. What if all the Shapers really are corrupt? What if the real government of the Shapers is fully consumed in self-interest? Perhaps there should be a new sect, Shapers, but fighting for the goodwill of everyone. If you know what I mean. It would just sort of give a more realistic feeling to the game. Or even just small collectives of runaway Shapers who run a Shaping healing business, or something like that.

--------------------
Slarty: "Why don't we all just get along?"

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #231
quote:
With great power comes great responsibility. - Uncle Ben, from Spiderman
You have to admit the Shapers understand this principle well, whether their complaining subjects do or not.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Apprentice
Member # 10908
Profile #232
I've heard a few other people mention this. How about a prequel. You are around before (or as) the first geneforge is created. You help Pioneer shaping. You invent the drayks. All sorts of possibilities.Maybe you could even start out as a full shaper and just get better!
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #233
I'd like to see some real Shaper civilization. Not just little forts and stuff. Sure, Dhonal's Keep was neat, but I want to see the real thing.

Prepare to be crushed beneath the essence-infused-iron fist of the Shapers! :cool:

--------------------
Love is the movement.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #234
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

quote:
With great power comes great responsibility. - Uncle Ben, from Spiderman
You have to admit the Shapers understand this principle well, whether their complaining subjects do or not.

Do they? Whenever something goes wrong, their standard procedure seems to be to lock it up, forget about it and hope it doesn't get out.

[ Saturday, October 27, 2007 22:20: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #235
No, the standard procedure is to destroy it and everything associated with it. The standard procedure for the Rebels is to lock it up and forget about it.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #236
And what should be the standard procedure?Try to calm down an army of giant monsters that could wipe out whole island or province?I don't think so.

Think of it, Taliesin is right, Shapers do understeand that with great power comes great responsibility.It is best to destroy it before it destroyes everything else or if its too strong lock it up and stop anything entering(or leaving)that place.

Edit-And I agree that they could use some of the experiments, not destroy them like geneforge and drayks.But they have their own ways.

[ Sunday, October 28, 2007 08:38: Message edited by: LakiRa@ ]

--------------------
Whats the point of signature?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #237
The fact that the Shapers created and let loose a horde of giant monsters* in the first place makes them greatly responsible, not of great responsibility.

*Just in case anyone wants to argue that only the rebels do that, Dikiyoba would like to point out that the Shapers created the drayks (then made them angry by killing them off). And the disease that Torsten had in G3. And the poisoned workshop in G1. And the rogues that chased off the farmers near Dillame.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #238
Sometime before G4, I had a discussion with Waylander, I believe, about Shaper competence. I argued that Shaper society, and the Shaper Council at its peak, were stumbling through the minefield of history, irresponsibly continuing to build secured labs and develop new techniques, when their vaunted discipline and control were actually and manifestly inadequate to prevent disaster after disaster after disaster. I also held it against the Shapers that so many of their apparently top people kept going rogue.

Waylander, on the other hand, felt that the disasters we had seen were representative only of the frontier areas, where Shaper control was inevitably weak. G4 still hasn't quite clarified this issue. So it would be nice indeed if G5 could show us some of the Shaper empire's most civilized areas.

In that discussion with Waylander I also presented another possibility, which I think is also still open. That is that in the Geneforge world, shaping may be extremely hard to master, but all too easy to learn. So there may be Monarchs, or at least mini-Monarchs, cropping up all the time. The Shapers have no choice but to accept a lot of borderline unstable characters into their ranks, because otherwise all those Teks and Agathas and Hoges and Barzahls and Goettschs would just have been Monarchs anyway. Putting them into trefoil robes at least offers some chance of keeping the lid on them.

And the Shapers put the best face on things that they can, trumpeting their discipline and restraint as though saying often enough that all Shapers have those qualities might begin to make it so. What other choice do they have? Ever since shaping was discovered, they have had a tiger by the tail. They hang on because their hanging on is the only thing keeping the world from being devoured by Monarchs. Collectively they are nowhere near as competent or responsible as they pretend. But this pretence is part of the hanging on that they need to do, for everyone's sake. In this sense, what seem like Shaper incompetence, irresponsibility, and hypocrisy, may really be Shaper tragedy, even Shaper nobility.

I don't necessarily want G5 to settle this issue either, but it would be nice to see it somehow addressed.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #239
I would want the main character to be able to buy(build) his own shaper lab, this way you could create powerful a creation by using the shaping vats(for example you could create battle gammas, charged creation's that don't dye out, add an extra attack(stun, freeze) or improving a spell, so you wouldn't spend so much essence, but you would have to spend money.
It would also be nice to have duels between the main character and oder shapers or rebels(depending on which side you want to stick), in these duels you wouldn't kill the other shaper or rebel, you would just battle that person's creation, and the winner would granted extra knowledge in the shaping or magic arts.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #240
One thing you have to keep in mind is that the Shaper empire is very old. It at least a millennium old (I think more around 2). There so old that they don't remember how they begun. Any empire that is that old is bound to have elements of corruption. The fact that it has a little corruption as it does after all this time is impressive.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #241
Uh Mythrael, I don't think there will be any huge changes.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #242
quote:
Originally written by Mythrael:

I would want the main character to be able to buy(build) his own shaper lab, this way you could create powerful a creation by using the shaping vats(for example you could create battle gammas, charged creation's that don't dye out, add an extra attack(stun, freeze) or improving a spell, so you wouldn't spend so much essence, but you would have to spend money.
Interesting idea. It would probably be much easier to allow you to buy it rather than build it, though. Anyway, I like this idea. The duals, maybe not.

I also suspect that what we post here isn't going to have a significant effect on what he finally decides on. Oh well...

quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:

Why not?I would love a faster way of travel somewhere behind red sections(if its previously discovered of course othervise it would be like cheating)

I just noticed this as I went through the thread. You do realize that you can warp instantly to any edge of any zone, provided that you're at the edge of the zone and there is a path of cleared zones between the current zone and the target zone?
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #243
quote:
Uh Mythrael, I don't think there will be any huge changes.
I know that there aren't going to be many changes, cause I've seen how the games mechanics are coded, but i believe that the shaper lab idea might be a feasible one if creations are treated as items(see how a weapon can gain stun, freeze, acid damage), so creatures could be upgraded with extra attacks or defensive abilities.

Edit: does anyone know when the next geneforge will be out?

[ Friday, December 21, 2007 11:50: Message edited by: Mythrael ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #244
Jeff will work on Geneforge 5 so the Mac version will be available some time in November 2008 and the Windows version in early 2009.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #245
That is still a huge change.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #246
Iffy, it's just an anvil for creatures, instead of items. I think it wouldnt be that big of a change.

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #247
that change sounds a lot easier said then done and Jeff isn't going to put a radical amount of work into something unless it radicaly increases the quality

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #248
And we don't like those eye-candy graphics..

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Apprentice
Member # 12668
Profile #249
Who cares about the graphics if the game itself is better?

--------------------
Don't mess with Texas.

Pages