The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #250
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

If we're going to continue, then I'd like to start enforcing a page limit on posts.
That's the stupidest thing ever. This is supposed to be an exercise in writing. RPs are supposed to have characters, they are supposed to have plot. If the lot of you put half the amount of effort your putting into OOC posts into IC posts, we wouldn't need worry about this RP dying. I have a post ready, but it is long, so I don't think Ephesos wants me to post it.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #251
Well, right now, the thing this needs is posts. The limit can come later. I say, fire away!

I do understand why he wants the limit, though. To be honest, 5 page lengths is a bit much. I only do it cause it's the only way to cover all of the events.

And I might possibly get carried away a little bit. :P

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #252
3.5 page lengths. Well, I'm at least headed in the right direction. :D

(and a point to anyone who can spot the BoA reference, and which scenario it's referencing)

Excalibur, it's up to you how much you want Shamgar and Ferrrald to say to Iocabe and Amarfrra.

---------------------
The bottle of deep blue liquid ominously swirled, seemingly of its own accord. -- #11 - The Skribbane Blues

[ Saturday, March 01, 2008 22:39: Message edited by: Nioca ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #253
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:

If we're going to continue, then I'd like to start enforcing a page limit on posts.
That's the stupidest thing ever. This is supposed to be an exercise in writing. RPs are supposed to have characters, they are supposed to have plot. If the lot of you put half the amount of effort your putting into OOC posts into IC posts, we wouldn't need worry about this RP dying. I have a post ready, but it is long, so I don't think Ephesos wants me to post it.

Die in a fire, you twit.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #254
quote:

Die in a fire, you twit.
Ahh. It brings a tear to my eye to see people quoting Morrissey, however inadvertantly.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #255
quote:

Die in a fire, you twit.
Fair enough. Avernum has no more activity in it. I was going to enter the surface in my next post, but I'd rather be done with this RP than share the world with a petty prick like yourself. I'd ask that everyone leave my faction alone, but I'm not really that worried about anybody making it that far. Good luck, none the less.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #256
Hmm...How are we going to decide the actions of the Hunters? We can't simply dominate them, so we need some sort of consensus on this matter.

I think my most recent post is short enough. :P

[ Sunday, March 02, 2008 11:53: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #257
Way to go, Ephesos. Instead of just writing an IC yourself, you up and condemn one of the people who is actually contributing to the RP, and whine about post length. Great work. :rolleyes:

Tullegolar, I really wish you'd stay in this RP. Another major player leaving might just deal a final blow to it.

About the Hunters: We follow what Goldenking laid out, and then from there, we have them become a semi-static NPC force (unless, of course, a new player wants to take up the faction). They just exist, occasionally doing things related to our faction that a Hunter would typically do.

[ Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:22: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #258
Tempers are flaring as we enter day 53 of the roleplay. . .

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #259
Let it die with dignity

Then I can eat it.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #260
Ephesos is right. Long posts tend to drive people away from the RP's. I skip over posts I consider to be too long. This isn't an exercise in writing, it is an exercise in creativity. If you can't manage to write something useful in less than a page then you should reconsider your post...

[ Sunday, March 02, 2008 13:02: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #261
Why would someone participate in a written RP if they have an aversion to reading? Are you people seriously that stupid?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #262
I second Tullegolar, and would like to point out that the original Avernum RP had some pretty long posts as well. So did LoD. And I don't recall anyone complaining about post length in either case.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #263
Alright, I was gonna go the civil route and just send some PMs, but I sense that isn't what's expected of me.

I do not inherently dislike long RP posts. What I dislike, and our friend Nioca's writing is an excellent example of this, are posts that go on forever without achieving any element of depth. I hate posts that slap up a couple shallow paragraphs about twenty different places on the face of Ermarian. If you follow a handful of characters and give them depth, that is perfectly acceptable and basically expected. If you try to give real-world depth to every single minor page you introduce in your faction, it is not only unfeasible, but impossible to follow and still have any will to live by the end.

Now the luxury of a factional RP is that you can develop events that are happening on the other end of the world through the eyes of another character. This, instead of naming every single insignificant servant asked to fetch coffee for your leader and detailing the route they take to the Ermarian equivalent of Starbuck's. You don't have to jump your perspective around, unless your faction is the least organized group of twits on the planet, in which case they shouldn't be a faction, just an unorganized group of twits spoiling everyone else's fun.

ET, as much as I dislike your constantly insolent demeanor on these boards, and as much as I wish you'd drop your petty little fantasy that you are the revolutionary who will stir up this little message board's inhabitants into a frenzy and elect you Supreme Leader of Everything That Doesn't Suck, I actually like your RP style. I enjoyed it in LoD, and thus did not enjoy your character's prolonged absences (which were mostly related to some aforementioned dislikeable characteristics). Your posts may be long, but they actually say something about characters that are essential to your contribution to the RP's story. I have no quarrel with you, sir, aside from your behavior in the forum at large.

Oh, but look, my post is too long now, and if I don't want to look like a hypocrite I should shove rusty sporks through my *&%#^ eyes to appease ET and his relentless quest to abuse everyone with a lower member number than him. Good day to you all.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #264
Hi, guys! I'd like to join. :)
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #265
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if you really do want to join, I think the only option is to take the place of the Hunters. I mean, if the others approve of it.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #266
Oh, boy! "The Hunters," it sounds neat. So, what comes now?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #267
Oh, well excuse me if my writing style isn't up to your holier-than-thou standards. Unlike you, who started this and then effectively abandoned it, I actually had to keep up with the other players. This meant dealing with whatever got thrown my way, be it by Goldenking, Dintiradan, Excalibur, so forth. And there was and is a lot. I actively tried to keep my posts concise, and also add depth. Several of those posts could have easily hit 8 or 9 page-lengths. But I abstained. And this is the thanks I get?

So, quite frankly, I don't give a damn if my writing doesn't come to scratch with your standards. When you actually get involved with this RP, you can have an opinion.

Was that short enough for you?

[ Sunday, March 02, 2008 17:49: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #268
Aww. Come on Nioca, Valentines Day was last month. Take it to PM.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #269
quote:
Originally written by Diprosopus:

Oh, boy! "The Hunters," it sounds neat. So, what comes now?
I would sooner rejoin the RP then let Dispro have the Hunters. They're my brain child, and I'd only let someone who knows what they're doing have them.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #270
Gosh, I would hate to interfere with your plans. :( At least you know what you're doing in a way I apparently do not, and I would not dare disturb your work's artistic integrity. :o
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #271
I like how I can never tell if Diprosopus is being sincere or insulting.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #272
I beg your pardon, sir. I simply try to be as gentle, sincere and direct as elegance allows. I apologize if my style seems too crass to be sincere. :eek:
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #273
By Enraged Slith:
quote:
I like how I can never tell if Diprosopus is being sincere or insulting.
Why can't he be both at once?

The emoticons are a nice touch, by the way.

--------------------
IMAGE(http://www.theanimalblog.com/images/2006/0725/twoface.jpg)
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #274
So let me see if I got this right, Ephesos:

1. You don't like reading other people's posts.

2. You're one of the less active players despite the fact that you're the one that restarted this RP.

3. You're petty much playing by yourself on some distant island when you are participating.

4. You resort to personal attacks when better, more active players are trying to hold things together.

I'll be the beacon of reason in this and ask: why don't you leave? I think it would work out best for everyone if you did, given the above facts. We'd get to keep playing without someone constantly whining about things, and hey, you might even be able to salvage a bit of your dignity on your way out.

--------------------
You lose.

Pages