The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #125
Nothing is stated explicitly. It says his face "almost looks human," though. How the heck is that evidence of a Nephil-Slith crossbreed?

---

"You come face to face with an enormous nephar. He is a peculiar-looking creature. His fur is thin and missing in patches, and his face is peculiar. It almost looks human.

"His arms are tattooed with strange symbols, and his claws are long and tipped with steel spikes. He is truly a fearsome creature.

"Then, when he sees who you are, he lets out a long, hideous howl. It is a painful, screeching sound that comes straight out of his nephil heritage. His skin begins to glow faintly in the shadows of the cave.

"Then he pounces, claws outstretched."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #126
Goldenking: Seems I forgot the Exile thing. Wouldn't deporting them further north be easier? In any case, Upper Avernum needs to be scouted (again...).

By Nikki:
quote:
As for the portals... Wouldn't the bigger cities (Krizsan, Gale, Lorelei, Shayder and Sharamik) have them anyway? I mean, it's either A4 or AtG (which should be canon anyway :P ) that says that portals from the surface to Avernum aren't as rare as they once were.
Yes, it is later, but this is after a revolution that toppled the two major governments. The portals were probably the first to go. Besides, I imagine that the clocks of progress were set back significantly during all the fighting.

As for the great span of time since Avernum 3: for simplicity, I'm going to assume that all towns in that game have evolved into larger cities. Of course there are countless villages between them now (the fantasy convention that you have to travel several days to get to the next settlement is very unrealistic compared to medieval Europe), and I don't mind throwing in a new city occasionally, especially in the open wildernesses of Avernum 3. But there's no point in reinventing the wheel when you have a perfectly serviceable one in front of you.

By Excalibur:
quote:
You could play as Senarti if Ephesos allowed it.
Thralni made Where the Rivers Meet, if that's what you're thinking of.

Nalyd: Second what Nikki said. Everyone has to start somewhere. Besides, you were already in Legends of Divinity.

Lazarus: Is the first part of your last IC a flashback? In any case, I think I know what you're up to (guess I have to resurrect that plotline as well...). If I don't get around to posting an IC soon enough, just pick an Archmage and start talking.

--------------------
He lies here, somewhere.
- Werner Heisenberg's Grave
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #127
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Goldenking: Seems I forgot the Exile thing. Wouldn't deporting them further north be easier? In any case, Upper Avernum needs to be scouted (again...).
Deporting them further north would be easier. But then, giving optimal conditions, I'd have to eventually annex them again. Then sent them further north... With that, I'd be better off killing them, which I'm not going to do, or enslaving them. That, I am going to do, atleast until the way to Avernum is up.

Avernum is nice and all, but it's largely a lost cause. The only thing I could get from there is minerals, which I don't particularily need right now. It's very isolated from the rest of the world, and they could only get to me if they managed to make a portal. As every teleportician I remember seeing in any of the games was either Human or Vahnatai, I should be fine so long as only non-humans go in. Blood traitors'll probably just get a good re-education campaign.

So, once I start conquering enemy cities, like the Anama or Sanctuary for example, you'll get to see my ways of turning them into Hunters. Very unique, if I say so myself.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #128
ET: Erika cannot actually open the portal, she is only going to Fort Avernum to assure your faction that a more powerful mage is on the way.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #129
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

So, once I start TRYING TO conquer enemy cities, like the Anama or Sanctuary for example, you'll get to see my ways of turning them into Hunters.
FYT. If you think Sanctuary will fall like a bowling pin, you've got one nasty shock coming.

And yes, I have an IC coming.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #130
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:

So, once I start TRYING TO conquer enemy cities, like the Anama or Sanctuary for example, you'll get to see my ways of turning them into Hunters.
FYT. If you think Sanctuary will fall like a bowling pin, you've got one nasty shock coming.

I didn't say I could easily take you. I'm not even sure who I should fight right now. I suppose I'll have to let them come to me.

I considered putting in "trying to", but I figured that if I really wanted to I could take atleast one city from someone. Nikki's New Amuda, Laz's Kneece/Southpoint, Dint's Lennus/Squiggus, your Angel's Rest, maybe even Lorelei. The real question is whether I would be able to survive taking a city by force.

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #131
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:

I didn't say I could easily take you. I'm not even sure who I should fight right now. I suppose I'll have to let them come to me.

I considered putting in "trying to", but I figured that if I really wanted to I could take atleast one city from someone. Nikki's New Amuda, Laz's Kneece/Southpoint, Dint's Lennus/Squiggus, your Angel's Rest, maybe even Lorelei. The real question is whether I would be able to survive taking a city by force.

No, because all Empire troops explode when they are mortally wounded. Oh, and I have the ghost of Rentar Ihrno in a box in my keep too, so we're going to pwn you!!!11!!

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #132
Fool, my Erika in a box trumps Rentar any day...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #133
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Fool, my Erika in a box trumps Rentar any day...
Only in Avernum though. Near the Surface, Rentar can beat Erika.

VALORIM: I've been mulling the idea of a non-manmade event that affects a lot of Valorim nations, and I think I've got it. An earthquake in Softport, say a six on the Richter Scale. That would be enough to reach Sanctuary, the Hunters, the Dominion, the Theives Guild Lorelei, the Anama, and maybe the Pheonix Empire.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #134
To what point and purpose, though? Just having an earthquake for the sake of an earthquake?

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #135
I have plans for Kneece-- don't mess with it until I have a chance to at least reveal what I've got there.

And do whatever you want with Softport, although I don't know what an earthquake would accomplish except create more carnage. The land is in ruin anyhow, an earthquake would just be piling it on.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #136
An earthquake would give the chance for unique problems that wouldn't arise otherwise.

Case in point, an underground tomb being unearthed and bringing out Undead. Maybe poisonous vapors from the ground. Give the possibility for new geography, shake up Upper Avernum, topple a few poorly built cities.

But, after your reviews, seems not such a good whim of mine.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #137
An earthquake doesn't sound like a bad idea, as it could hypothetically affect Avernum as well. However, an earthquake like that wouldn't result in much living damage.

Remember guys, the Guild doesn't rule Lorelei, they have a large presence there. Anyone could move in and attempt to conquer it, but the Guild will probably resist.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #138
I didn't say it was a bad idea. If it adds to the plot (and doesn't cause massive-crazy destruction), then go for it. I just don't think an earthquake for the sake of an earthquake is a good idea (and I think Lazarus was addressing that idea too).

If it does something worthwhile, go for it. If not, you'd probably do best to leave it out.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #139
Ex, would those guys have anything that would identify them as belonging to the Thieves Guild, or even more broadely a faction/organization?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #140
I mentioned in the summaries thread that members had a digit removed, so their relation to the Guild wouldn't be all that evident, but it could be concluded their membership in a gang or whatnot.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #141
First off, in case the IC didn't make it clear enough, the Wraith (in context to Sanctuary) are not undead. Rather, they're covert spies in the priesthood, skilled in intelligence-gathering, rites involving stealth, and (usually) mild hand-to-hand combat.

Also note, I'm sending one of aforementioned Wraiths to Sharimik to try and rescue Shamgar and Ferrrald. Which brings me to another and rather important point: Invisibility. It's been canon in the entire Exile series, and in Avernums 2 and 3 that it's possible for a character to either become invisible or magically conceal themselves. I'm planning on having the Wraith use invisibility to (hopefully) break the pair out, but am putting natural limits on it's use to ensure that it isn't a broken ability.

The limits are:
1. Swift, sudden, or violent movement will either weaken or entirely void concealment. Mild breaches of the limit will often result in the air seeming to waver at the concealed person's locale, while more severe breaches will result in the concealed person fading somewhat back into view. If a breach is severe enough, the concealment will break altogether. Things that constitute a breach include running at full speed, riding a horse (or any animal, really), colliding or getting hit with an object or spell, attacking in any way, shape, or form (which is an instant void; note that drawing a weapon or preparing a spell usually won't entirely dispel concealment, though it may weaken it), or having too much of a concealed person or object come in contact with an unconcealed object(s). Additionally, it becomes far harder to keep a greater number of persons or objects concealed. While a moderate jog might have no effect on the concealment for a single person, three or four people at the same pace will cause the concealment to fail (unless the person providing concealment is especially strong, or if multiple people are providing concealment).
2. Every time the concealment is activated or deactivated, the person(s) involved will experience severe disorientation. This disorientation gains severity if the person rapidly drops in and out of concealment, and will eventually result in severe nausea and, if pushed too far, will cause the person to black out. Usually three attempts at concealment in rapid succession, each dispelled, will result in even the hardiest souls falling unconscious. This disorientation will also occur if the concealment starts to fail, which is a good warning sign that the person using the concealment needs to scale back on whatever is causing the concealment to fail.
3. The concealment is of finite duration. While a person can pour more magical energy into the concealment to keep it active, it's generally best for a person to finish whatever they're doing within the time limit. The drain that results from holding a concealment for longer than its natural life will usually leave the person staggering, if at all conscious.

Thoughts?

[ Sunday, January 20, 2008 22:33: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #142
Interesting, I approve.

[ Monday, January 21, 2008 09:12: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #143
Hmmm. I'm not sure I like it. Isn't that more of a magical thing then a priestly? And not one of any small venture either.

Okay, checking the Encyclopedia yeilds that priests can do it as well. But all sources say it takes a lot of work. So, I doubt that the Wraiths could manage to keep it going long on their own, and the Priest would have to be pretty high up on the food chain to even start the spell.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #144
Could you point me to that article? I can't seem to find it.

Anyway, while you're right about length, you're wrong on the difficulty of the spell. In the Exile series, Sanctuary (a magical concealment spell that prevents enemies from seeing or attacking you; BTW, this is why I'm using the term concealment rather than Sanctuary, since the latter could get confusing rather quickly) is a 1st or 2nd level spell. Mass Sanctuary is 5th level, and as stated by myself, one person concealing multiple people runs an extreme risk of blowing the metaphorical fuse on the spell. Mages have access to Stealth, a 5th level which behaves identically to Mass Sanctuary.

Even if we're to eliminate Exile, priests with concealment abilities is still canon; Radiant shield in A1 and A2 (I think A3 as well) covers the party with a Sanctuary, concealing them from hostile attack. A2 had a fight which involved a mediocre mage concealing an entire battalion of soldiers inside Almaria (though all of them were sitting perfectly still; the only reason you find them is because one of them coughs while you're in the room).

Basically, the spell itself isn't difficult, it's getting a decent lifespan out of it that's the problem. And extending it to others further weakens the spell.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #145
Clearly, the invisibility spell was invented by priests to protect the privacy of people going to confession.

In other news: is there a designated place in canon where the other end of the old Fort Avernum portal was? I remember it saying it was remote, so any objections to it being in Valorim? Don't worry, I won't pop up in anyone's territory.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #146
No objections here.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #147
Someone should make an article about invisibility. You seem as good as anyone to do it, Nioca.

Anyways, after a failed attempt to find an article for invisible or invisibility, the Guardian article did mention that powerful priests could make them invisible. Looked over it again, and it seems that they were wrong.

I suppose it's okay, but don't get too powerful with it. Also, add something about the more mass the invisible thing has, the more energy it takes. So, say, you can't have a fully armed and armored soldier going about. One last query, what about their shadows? Would they be there or not?

ET: Remote... perhaps that island west of central Valorim? On the southern end perhaps?

[ Monday, January 21, 2008 12:23: Message edited by: Goldenking ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #148
I believe the teleporter in question should transfer people to Execa, Vila, or Torria. In case you're wondering, I'm speaking of the Island south of Gale.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #149
I don't think they should cast shadows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 'reasoning' behind invisibility/cloaking and the like usually that the caster somehow causes light to bend around them, instead of reflect off them? In that case they shouldn't cast shadows.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....

Pages