The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #100
Sorry guys. I'll try to do an IC this afternoon. Sullust, eventually, I'm going to make contact with you again.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

Remember Ernest, the guy with portals going everywhere in A3? I'm going to use him to get myself some serious portal connections everywhere...
Did anybody remember that we're playing this several hundred years after the events of the Avernum games? Ernest is dead, and his hut is long left to ruin.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #102
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

Remember Ernest, the guy with portals going everywhere in A3? I'm going to use him to get myself some serious portal connections everywhere...
Did anybody remember that we're playing this several hundred years after the events of the Avernum games? Ernest is dead, and his hut is long left to ruin.

Thank God somebody else is reading from the same book, never mind the same page. This isn't a few weeks after A3. It's a few hundred years later. Nobody from back then is alive, cities are much bigger, and the whole thing is going to have more settlements. Valorim *was* a frontier town back then. Now, there's no reason to assume that it isn't as built up as Pralgrad.

As for the portals... Wouldn't the bigger cities (Krizsan, Gale, Lorelei, Shayder and Sharamik) have them anyway? I mean, it's either A4 or AtG (which should be canon anyway :P ) that says that portals from the surface to Avernum aren't as rare as they once were.

As to portals between factions - ummm. I'm all for discussing each one as it comes into being, and of course, making it necessary for either a) it to be in the place of an old portal that collapsed (Thinking ToM) or b) the other end needs to be working to create the portal too.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #103
Can I make a faction of..people who are not that normal?

Not the crazy, retared not normal..but like a half-human, half-slith..or something like that..I guess it might rouse up some controversy so I didn't post it immediately..

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #104
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

I worded that poorly. I know he is long, long dead. This is more along the lines of what I meant to say:

"Remember Ernest, the guy with the portals going everywhere in A3? I'm going to use the ruins of those portals to get some serious connections everywhere, if I get some help from the Dominion."

My base for this is that after the Plagues, Ernest's hut became a trade center, and the portals were made more proper, with a town leaping up around his hut, and his hut becoming more of a mansion. Then, with the redirectable Avernum Surface Portal and Ernest's death, the town soon became less appealing and the portals slowly fell into disrepair. Eventually, they could not safely work, and later they simply flickered out of existance. The machinery and notes of Ernest's portal work would still be there, though.

As for portals being more common, I'm aware that in (300-ish?) years that there would be changes. TM had cannons in the last game, which I'd like to avoid. I've made mention of the printing press having been invented. However, after the Fall of the Empire and Avernum, those portals would fall into disrepair by all but the most magically powerful factions. Then, after the Time of the Star, even those would become more rare. It takes economic muscle to keep a portal active, you know.

Azuma: I doubt creatures like that exist. After all, only members of the same species can mate and have fertile offspring. Slithzerikai developed independently of the other two, and it seems that humans and nephil only met after a while. Other creatures, like Vahnatai or Troglodytes would be even more difficult, as they have had even less contact with the other races. Alternatively, you may want to make a sort of Delian League, maybe Hanseatic League, trade alliance of cities.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #105
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Not the crazy, retared not normal..but like a half-human, half-slith..or something like that..I guess it might rouse up some controversy so I didn't post it immediately..
I agree with Goldenking on this one... consider it vetoed, because it doesn't fit anywhere with Avernum canon.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #106
Well, there was a Nephil-human hybrid in A4.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #107
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Well, there was a Nephil-human hybrid in A4.
I'm sure Randoplh just looked like a cross instead of being one...

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #108
quote:
Originally written by Hey, Jude.:

I mean, it's either A4 or AtG (which should be canon anyway :P ) that says that portals from the surface to Avernum aren't as rare as they once were.
You just made me go through a lot of files, but I found what I was looking for. The general consensus on this RP is that anything after either BOA or A3, with the possible exception of A5, is not canon. A4, which has been widely remarked as the lowest point in the Avernum series, is not canon for this RP as far as I can determine. I don't know about A5, as I haven't played it, *Hi, I'm a PC!* but from what I have been able to tell you start off in the colonial north of Avernum, thus adding little to the discussion.

And as for AtG, (Please tell me that was At the Gallows) it's set after this particular RP starts. And obviously in a parallel universe, as the Old Empire never fell.

Anyways, my point on the deterioration of the portals still stands. I'd imagine industrial portals, ones that could send a trade convoy to the other side of Ermarian, would suck up the reserved power pretty fast. That includes the most famous one, the Avernite Surface Portal. So, unless you have a good deal of portal engineers and sufficient cash to pay them, all the major portals would be down by now.

One last thing in this rant: Valorim had been settled for one hundred years by A3, and was still considered a backwater frontier. That says something to me, I don't know about you. I'm pretty sure it's in the book on the four continents in A3. So, looking through the Xian Book might help.

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
Nikki:
I'm sure Randoplh just looked like a cross instead of being one...
People always say that, but I don't know why. I think a half-breed would only add yet another interesting facet to the game. Why avoid such things? Just because they creep you out? That said, there probably shouldn't be a whole faction of them, however.
quote:
Goldenking:
The general consensus on this RP is that anything after either BOA or A3, with the possible exception of A5, is not canon.
That decision was made by a bunch of people who are either not participating in the RP or do not have factions in Avernum. Since most of Avernum 4 happened in Avernum, and that is where my faction is located, I'm going to have to overrule that decision. It's not like the fact that Rentar reappeared and terrorized Avernum hundreds of years ago is going to have a big effect on the RP anyway, so it's mostly geography and such that I'm interested in, and Avernum 4 had a lot of changes in that area.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #110
I don't think hybrids would be common enough to comprise an entire faction. However, it would be conceivable to have a faction being lead by one.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #111
A nephil/slith hybrid. . . yuch.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #112
quote:
Originally written by Agrajag:

A nephil/slith hybrid. . . yuch.
A slith hybrid of any type is highely unlikely. The sliths developed far away from the surface, where the nephil and humans started out. Besides, humans and nephil are mammals, while sliths are reptiles. The world didn't even know what a slith was until the First Expedition.

Now, I will concede that there may be a nephil-human hybrid, but I maintain my stance that such an abomination would be infertile. They're different species, after all.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #113
Nalyd knows. But it would be interesting.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #114
Azuma, you could have a faction of Nepharim. (Sterile but stronger Nephilim)

EDIT: You could play as Senarti if Ephesos allowed it.

[ Friday, January 18, 2008 16:52: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #115
Wouldn't be a very large or long-lived faction.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #116
quote:

Wouldn't be a very large or long-lived faction.
I suspect that any large group of Nepharim keeps a large group of Nephilim around with them.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #117
I suppose then that the Nephilim enslaved by Nepharim in Exile 2 were basically comfort women. I never thought about it that way...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #118
quote:
Originally written by Unhasty:

I suppose then that the Nephilim enslaved by Nepharim in Exile 2 were basically comfort women. I never thought about it that way...
Through in a few Sliths and you'd have the perfect basis for the Anti-Hunters/Non-Human Coalition Against the Tyranny of the Imperium of Man.

EDIT: Of all the people to ask Ex, you picked Nikki? How in the world is he supposed to get there? He would have to go through Hunter/Anama waters, launch an invasion of me to get there, or go through miles of wilderness just to get to the city.

[ Friday, January 18, 2008 17:36: Message edited by: Goldenking ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #119
Nalyd is tempted to join as a slith faction just to be mean to the Hunters. But he's not up to RPing of this caliber.

[ Friday, January 18, 2008 17:45: Message edited by: Agrajag ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #120
quote:

Nalyd is tempted to join as a slith faction just to be mean to the Hunters.
Sliths are by far the rarest of the friendly species on the surface. They're subterranean by nature, you know. Besides, I'm pretty sure there's already a slith faction in Avernum.

Although, there's plenty of room in northern and central Valorim. Could give Excalibur someone to play with on his own turf. Southern Valorim is crowded enough, thank you very much.

EDIT: On the other hand, no one's even mentioned Upper Avernum...

[ Friday, January 18, 2008 17:50: Message edited by: Goldenking ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #121
See? Merely by suggesting joining, Nalyd has demonstrated his inability to.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #122
quote:
EDIT: Of all the people to ask Ex, you picked Nikki? How in the world is he supposed to get there? He would have to go through Hunter/Anama waters, launch an invasion of me to get there, or go through miles of wilderness just to get to the city.

The Thieves guild has nephilim members so the Hunters aren't an option, and being thieves they wouldn't want religious people running their turf.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #123
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

quote:

The Thieves guild has nephilim members so the Hunters aren't an option, and being thieves they wouldn't want religious people running their turf.

What would make you think a reincarnation of the Empire would be any better? And more importantly, how is the message going to get there? Once again, you'd have to enter either Hunter or Anama waters, or land on my land, to get there.

Also, he has his own problems with famine and what not, so why would he send an army overseas to invade a province he's had no prior contact with?

I suppose I'm just a little riled you didn't pick me. I mean, it's not like I have to know you have Nephil in the guild.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #124
Hey, hey, the famine is sorted now. I have a few other things to say, so I'll get to that in a sec though.

1) I'm almost positive the in-game text said Randolph just looked like a hybrid. Personally, I'd love him to be one, just because it's darn interesting, but I was trying to stick to canon.

2) As implied above, I think A4 should be regarded as canon, for all the reasons Tully suggested.

3) "Nalyd is tempted to join as a slith faction just to be mean to the Hunters. But he's not up to RPing of this caliber."

What makes you think some of us participating are? If you want to make a faction, run it by us. Location isn't vital, depending on your size either.

Now, to the point in hand (I should really read the IC first...). Ummm. The question of how you got a message to me is an issue, agreed, but if he knew about me (and being a Thieves Guild it's likely), I'm the perfect candidate. I'm the stinking Empire, and I want more land and more allies. Besides, the Empire and the Hunters have an alliance, so it wouldn't be invading. From The Imperial City of Silvar, I have a point from which I can march up to Sharamik, and from there, North.

Also, the Hunter's are, well, let's just say lots of factions may find them a bit... abrasive.

Oh, and (this is after my IC), from now on, I'm going to be defending my bridges properly.

[ Saturday, January 19, 2008 03:08: Message edited by: Hey, Jude. ]

--------------------

Pages