The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #225
Eh, I forgot to include Amadis concerned about Ferrrald and Shamgar not returning, but I don't think it's important.

Goldenking: I believe phalanx are a bit out of place, but my judgment is a bit obscured by Age of Empires.

[ Tuesday, February 12, 2008 20:43: Message edited by: Excalibur ]
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #226
Minor continuity error aside (according to my last IC, Hunteritis had already arrived) it looks good.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #227
Sorry guys, but I'm going to have to drop out. I'm really too busy right now.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #228
So... can I conquer some of your land while your gone? You're pretty powerful right now anyway. I promise I won't go beyond... Almaria?

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #229
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

So... can I conquer some of your land while your gone? You're pretty powerful right now anyway. I promise I won't go beyond... Almaria?
Or how about I just flood the Honeycomb with Non-Humans who've been Exiled from the Surface? Once Din't gets the portals functioning, that is. That would resolve that nicely.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #230
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Do whatever you want. Just don't destroy me completely. :P

Sullust, you are welcome to use my army in any way you see fit.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #231
This isn't going down under I hope. :(

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #232
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

This isn't going down under I hope. :(
At least it isn't my fault this time.

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #233
So, the Avernum RP is currently dead. The way I see it, we have two options.

1) Try to jump start it again. Basically, we all attempt to get it going again.

2) We conclude it, and make a conjoined concluding post or two (I say two, since it might be more practical to split it so that Avernum and the Surface have separate concluding posts).

Thoughts?

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #234
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

So, the Avernum RP is currently dead. The way I see it, we have two options.

1) Try to jump start it again. Basically, we all attempt to get it going again.

2) We conclude it, and make a conjoined concluding post or two (I say two, since it might be more practical to split it so that Avernum and the Surface have separate concluding posts).

Thoughts?

1. No. The second time got a worse reception than the first time, so I doubt the third time would make it off the ground. It took so much just to get to this point, and starting again would just be plain laborious. However, if by "jumpstart" you mean post something in the thread, that'd be fine.

2. This will probably be best. We can discuss the endings in this thread. Here's my view, basically:

Avernum: The Domioners get the portal going to the Tower of Magi ruins, and as the Hunters conquer, non-humans start going down in hordes. The twisting passages of the Honeycomb, the cursed realm of the Mertis Spiral, blah blah blah, all become the Dominion of the Free or whatever, with the Tower Colony as the capital. More and more non-humans pour through the portal, and eventually battles with over the Great Cave and Eastern Gallery commence. Almaria is devastated, and the Silvarians are forced to cut the bridge. The Lady takes the NE, battles over Lake Avernus, eventually the Lady wins after tricking the non-humans, blah blah blah.

Surface: Vantanas struggles to unify, fighting hordes of demons and rakshasi. Hunters win the War of Krizsanian Unification, and shift attention northwards. The Great Game of sabotage, subterfuge, spying, stealing, and smashing continues between the Sanctuary and Hunters, culminating in war. The Dominioners give the promised aid, and soon the Sanctuary is forced to flee into Northern Valorim through the Troglo castle, the passage being sealed by magic behind them. Hunters and Dominioners negotiate a line of demarcation, and Softport is liberated. Maybe an invasion of Bigail, battle of Lorelei after that, I don't know. Either the Hunters, Sanctuary, or Dominion rally enough forces to unite Valorim, and then start marching into the Blackcrag Pass, invading Pralgad. From there, world falls like dominoes, from Pralgad to Aizo to Vantanas.

A few days ago I thought of a Geneforge RP, in the time between G3 and G4. That'd probably make a good RP, but we should hold off on that for a time.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #235
quote:
Originally written by Kinggolden:

1. No. The second time got a worse reception than the first time, so I doubt the third time would make it off the ground. It took so much just to get to this point, and starting again would just be plain laborious. However, if by "jumpstart" you mean post something in the thread, that'd be fine.
In fact, the latter is exactly what I meant.

quote:
2. This will probably be best. We can discuss the endings in this thread. Here's my view, basically:

Avernum: The Domioners get the portal going to the Tower of Magi ruins, and as the Hunters conquer, non-humans start going down in hordes. The twisting passages of the Honeycomb, the cursed realm of the Mertis Spiral, blah blah blah, all become the Dominion of the Free or whatever, with the Tower Colony as the capital. More and more non-humans pour through the portal, and eventually battles with over the Great Cave and Eastern Gallery commence. Almaria is devastated, and the Silvarians are forced to cut the bridge. The Lady takes the NE, battles over Lake Avernus, eventually the Lady wins after tricking the non-humans, blah blah blah.

Surface: Vantanas struggles to unify, fighting hordes of demons and rakshasi. Hunters win the War of Krizsanian Unification, and shift attention northwards. The Great Game of sabotage, subterfuge, spying, stealing, and smashing continues between the Sanctuary and Hunters, culminating in war. The Dominioners give the promised aid, and soon the Sanctuary is forced to flee into Northern Valorim through the Troglo castle, the passage being sealed by magic behind them. Hunters and Dominioners negotiate a line of demarcation, and Softport is liberated. Maybe an invasion of Bigail, battle of Lorelei after that, I don't know. Either the Hunters, Sanctuary, or Dominion rally enough forces to unite Valorim, and then start marching into the Blackcrag Pass, invading Pralgad. From there, world falls like dominoes, from Pralgad to Aizo to Vantanas.

Here's what I see happening.

Sanctuary's struggle turns to war. Angel's Rest is hit first by Hunter forces, and a bittersweet victory is won by the invaders. Though they took the city, they also take severe losses. Aminro is fortified by the remainder from Angel's Rest. They turn to Aminro, augmented by fresh troops from the Dominion, but despite superior numbers, are repelled. The sheer number of priests in Aminro, combined with an alchemical weapon I was about to introduce (Submission Solution, a potion that dazes anyone who drinks it or inhales its fumes), are too much for Hunter troops to defeat with Sanctuary having the defensive advantage. The Crusaders make an exceptionally impressive showing as well. The Hunters just can't get enough troops to survive a charge to do any good. Each charge results in massive losses for the Hunters, with relatively little seeming effect on Sanctuary. However, Iocabe realizes that he's only winning the game of losing. The position is untenable, and between charges, the majority of Aminro's population is slipped out and sent through the tunnel to Midori. While Aminro falls, Iocabe seals the tunnel by caving it in, while a few soldiers and priests remain behind in the castle to sacrifice themselves on a ruse.

While this was taking place in Karnold, Sanctuary's efforts in Midori enjoyed great success. They took most of the province, shoved out the Looters, and solidified an alliance with the Thieves Guild. Additionally, the ruse worked, leading the Hunters, Dominion, Phoenix (which I presumed headed north), and Order of Krell to believe, however briefly, that Sanctuary had been destroyed entirely. Additionally, the Hunters are forced to regroup, buying Sanctuary time. Sanctuary takes Lorelei, and legalizes Skribbane transport for military or alchemical purposes (It's the key ingredient in Submission Solution) within its territory. Sanctuary expands east, taking Gale with help from the Thieves Guild (Gale has a major history with Skribbane) and bumping into the Protectorate of the Lady. I can't say for sure how that works out, but I know that all Sanctuarymen present will have brought dictionaries ( :P ).

The Hunters make their move into Softport, and prepare to move on to Lorelei, only to get a particularly nasty shock. Lorelei waves Sanctuary banners. The two go at it yet again, but this time, the Hunters are on the losing side of the fight. They end up retreating after taking even more casualties, and wind up having to repel an attack on Softport. Thus, the Hunter's expansion north grinds to a halt, at least until they defeat/assimilate/destroy the Anama (assuming they can pull that off). Sanctuary builds a massive new city, named Corinth, that becomes Sanctuary's capital city. Sanctuary then moves to expand north.

Unfortunately, there are too many variables to say where it might lead next at this point. I'll have to hear the other players' input.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #236
Cowards. The Lady was about to invade the surface. Trying to end it early to avoid her wrath, eh?

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #237
Nioca, I'd love to get into a discussion about the Sanctuary Wars with you, but it's futile. Unlike the War of Krizsanian Unification, this is pretty vague. Between Meineke's Plagues, the White Crystal Shards, the outcome of the Great Game, the Nexus portals, the Dominion, the Anama, you, me, ET, the Looters, the Thieves, the Order of Krell... Well, you get the point. We both agree that you get pushed out of Karnold, but beyond that, but anything more specific get's hazy. Anyways, either the Dominion, me, you, or even possibly ET would unite Valorim. Valorim marches into warring Pralgad, and then sails into whatever state Aizo is in, before liberating Vantanas.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there'd be a lot of uncertain warfare that would go on before Valorim had a clear cut winner. A lot of uncertain war. So, I don't see a real way of picking Valorim's winner. In Avernum, only one guy's actively participating, but in Valorim... I suppose I'd give this to ET. With Exiled non-humans flooding the Honeycomb, he wouldn't have much to worry about from that direction, and could build his power elsewhere, in a frictionless environment. He'd invade Valorim eventually, and take our war-weakened countries as he pleased. But then again, the Dominion has a lot of pent up power...

We could pull a TM and have some wave of foe destroy everything again, this time for sure. Grah-Hoth's triumphant return, (remember his cult?) the Darkling Sliths, Vahnatai, Rakshasi, the Gods, Americans, just pick your poison.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #238
You're assuming that a single faction will come out on top. But it's entirely possible that two or even three factions end up sharing joint power over Ermarian.

Also, I'm not saying what'd happen is that Sanctuary establishes total dominance. The above is what I pretty much think would happen short-term. Long-term, it's anyone's game.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #239
:)

By which I mean, I am sorry it took so long to post, but I wrote this out three times, at least. And didn't use any of them.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #240
...Or we can do that.

*goes off to write an IC*

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #241
Hooray!

I see the Phoenix Empire is looking at northern Valorim. Conflict for the Thieves Guild at last.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #242
It is with sorrow in my heart that I must say, I am bowing out of this RP. Of course, this means I should give you some scenarios.

Short-term: The Hunters will kill/Exile every single Imperial they get their hands on. That should be a sizable number, considering they're fleeing through the mountains. Which I control. They'd have to go through one of my strongholds, Farport, as well as pass through my freaking capital, Sharimik. In large numbers. Espionage/Assinations/the like and magical plagues will befall Sanctuary, culminating in the murder of Meineke in the Castle, or the murder of Sharimik's mayor. Then war.

War: Keep the people in the cities, and burn everything outside the cities. Then pull back and guard Sharimik and Softport. Wait for Dominion reinforcements, then have them attack Angel's Rest while we attack Aminro.

In Case of Invasion: A spiritied defense everywhere possible, scorched earth to try and dissuade enemy. Last stand at Fort Nexus, in the Unicorn Pass, where most of the civvies would flee via portal to north Valorim. From there, it's just influencing governments there, not actually making a new government.

Other than that, you know what I'll do. Expand, purge, teleport non-humans to the Honeycomb, et cetera.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #243
Umhmm. I do expect to get to Sanctuary with about only half of my people. Any more than that and I have an issue, especially since you are now bowing out after just attacking me. :-p

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #244
So where are you guys going with this? Yes, "you guys"... blah blah blah busy blah blah blah. It's overused, but that doesn't stop it from being true. I'm running out of midnight oil here, and when I do have free time I'd rather spend it in meatspace. Are you moving toward immediate closure? Is so, don't expect any more posts from me - I would be more of a hindrance than a help. The few good ideas I have would really complicate the situation. Even if I did a simple catch up post (Demetrius and Brand hear of the attacks, the portal is finished and trade and deportation begins, and agents are set in place up north), I wouldn't be doing anything to end the thing sooner.

On the other hand, I'd rather not bail out completely if you all want to continue. I'll be more of a passive entity - say the conservative elements of the Council rein Demetrius in. I'll post every week and a half, two weeks. Ugly, I know, but better than just vanishing.

--------------------
Crap. I've just quined myself.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #245
I'm similarly at a loss for what to do. If people just want to wrap this up, then by all means go ahead, and just keep your noses out of Vantanas so I can wrap it up myself. My only plot contributions so far are snubbing the Sanctuary, getting my leader kidnapped, and putting about twenty or thirty druids into Valorim.

If we're going to continue, then I'd like to start enforcing a page limit on posts. And I'm dead serious about that. If you can't say what you need to say in a nice, concise post, then you shouldn't be involving your faction in every single corner of Valorim. We don't need to hear that random miner X is still toiling away somewhere slightly northwest of Pergies, we don't need to know that courier Y saw some interesting bluffs on her way to Gale.

In conclusion, blurp. I'm trying to catch up on sleep and nourishment right now, as well as finish a Blades scenario, so any involvement I'd have would likely be a little patchy, but my spring break starts at the end of next week. So there. I'd hate to see this thing die again, but I'd also hate to see it continue in this gross parody of unlife that is characterized by endless rolls of continent-spanning posts.

[ Saturday, March 01, 2008 12:33: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #246
Well, I vote for continuing, so long as I can write about my miner in Pergies. :P

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #247
Aye, I wish to continue as well.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #248
In that case, let's get this party started (again).

I'm still working on my IC. I'm trying to keep it more concise, but it's a wait-and-see thing, really...

In short, this thing is starting back up again.

[ Saturday, March 01, 2008 15:39: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #249
Good luck. You'll need it.

Now stop spamming this thread up with "We should keep going" posts, and actually keep going!

--------------------

Pages