The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #75
I'll be expanding soon as well. I might also be introducing a new element into the RP, but I want to run it by Ephesos first. By the way, Ephesos, you have a PM.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #76
Note: The Guild doesn't rule Lorelei.

The Guild is building its own city now...expansion is a possibility. (Tinraya)

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I'll be expanding soon as well. I might also be introducing a new element into the RP, but I want to run it by Ephesos first. By the way, Ephesos, you have a PM.
If it's a free melon lunch, I'm up for it.

P.S: Goldenking. Since you've let me make the IC post for Silvar, is there anything I should know about the bandits that isn't covered already?

And what's with the kitty remnants?

[ Tuesday, January 15, 2008 02:56: Message edited by: Caroline. ]

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #78
quote:

By the way, Ephesos, you have a PM.
EVERYBODY IN THE RP, PLEASE TURN ON EMAIL NOTIFICATION FOR PMs!!! It's incredibly annoying when every post in an OoC thread is "check your pms lol".

And I love the rogue druid, Dintiradan. Much thanks for giving me another reason to expand into Valorim.

(calls dibs on the Karnold Isles)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #79
By Eph:
quote:
And I love the rogue druid, Dintiradan. Much thanks for giving me another reason to expand into Valorim.
That was an ex-druid, right Goldenking? I left it ambiguous just in case.

And I'm afraid you can't jump on the Isles, Eph. Just stay isolated, on the other side of the world. :P

--------------------
Well this was fun, let's do it again sometime.
- Grave in Scotland
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #80
quote:
Originally written by Caroline.:

[QUOTE]Originally written by Nioca:
[qb]P.S: Goldenking. Since you've let me make the IC post for Silvar, is there anything I should know about the bandits that isn't covered already?

And what's with the kitty remnants?

Yeah, they're slightly organized in battle, and are jumpy on caffeine. Hard leather armor, with longswords for the infantry. One mage. Shouldn't be to much of a challenge.

When Tygra's rule was slipping, non-humans were channeled north by the sympathists. Just a few villages, and for you they can be on my side of the wilderness.

Eph/Dint: The druid is, in fact, a refugee from up north. He developed a hatred for the Rakshasa after they burnt down his outpost. This was broadened to all non-humans when a band of desperate nephil killed the survivors of his flock. I chose him to illustrate the differences between the Old Hunters and the Neo-Hunters.

Old Hunters = Generally all-around evil. I mean, a castle of bone? Dead bodies tacked in an otherwise beautiful garden? Mind control? Burning the Krell Temple in Gidrik? Horrid behavior.
Neo-Hunters = Much more balanced overall, on the moral compass atleast. Banish the majority of the non-humans instead of war them. Negotiate with humans. Emancipate slaves, grant religious freedoms, whatever necessary.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #81
By Goldenking:
quote:
Neo-Hunters = Much more balanced overall, on the moral compass atleast. Banish the majority of the non-humans instead of war them. Negotiate with humans. Emancipate slaves, grant religious freedoms, whatever necessary.
"Join the Hunters! We promise not to kill you this time!" :P

Man, we should all come up with slogans for our factions.

--------------------
"Join Redmark College: Voted the mage academy least likely to be destroyed in a freak demon summoning accident!"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #82
Order of Krell: "Seeing the forest for the trees."

...anyway, I'm currently busy marking which threads to save from the purge in BoA's forums, so I can't write an IC right now. Also, I'm in the first week of classes, which again lowers the probability of a post. But I'm paying attention, so don't try to slip anything past me. :P

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #83
Hunters: "The Sun Never Sets on Humanity's Wonders." as the national motto, followed by the unofficial phrase: "The Sun Never Sets on the Non-Human Plague; Let's Change That. (Send them to Avernum!)" The pantheses' content is optional, as it lessens the power of the statement somewhat.

Anyways, this is finals week for me. So that was probably my last IC post this week.

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

But I'm paying attention, so don't try to slip anything past me.
Nedar pulled out a phaser and fired on the non-responsive Redscale. He was vaporized. As the council started to panic, Nedar opened fire on them, vaporizing most of the council as well.

In Sharimik, Bekath also pulled a phaser and blasted the emissary. He then went to the altar of the shrine and pressed a few concealed buttons. All of Valorim began to shake, and Sharimik seemingly lifted away. It had been built on to of a massive spaceship. The ship fired on the Dominion of the Learned, obliterating their cities and territory. It then turned to the Hunters, destroying them. Erox was leveled by a photon torpedo. Lorelei didn't stand a chance, as the thieves guild was blown into nonexistence. And the New Empire Nikki was building was flattened by a sweep of the ship's phasers.

The ship of ultimate destruction then turned to the Vantanas. The phasers of the ship gently wiped all life from the face of the continent, then turned to the islands. Krell became but a smoldering memory. It then noticed a tiny ship between isles, and dropped an anvil on it for good measure.

The surface of Ermarian had been cleansed.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #85
That's all nice and good, Nioca (except for the photon torpedoes... what's wrong with normal nuclear warheads, huh?), but nobody mentioned whether the lunch was free...

:P

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #86
quote:
Originally written by Caroline.:

That's all nice and good, Nioca (except for the photon torpedoes... what's wrong with normal nuclear warheads, huh?)
Not Trek enough.

quote:
nobody mentioned whether the lunch was free...
It's not. The melon lunch costs $4.95. We do have a GIFTR stew that's only $.99 a serving.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #87
Bleh. After DS9, Trek went downhill. Voyager was passable, and Enterprise... Well, the less said the better, I think.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #88
Good thing I was thinking the original, then. ;)

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #89
Um, Is someone going to have contact with the Thieves Guild by any chance?

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #90
Dewiss might contact the Thieves Guild soon. But not for thieving.

That said, the IC I just posted is pretty long. I really wanted to get the ball rolling on my faction, rather than playing a static force. As such, my IC is a whopping 5.5 page lengths long. Yikes. So, just saying, you might want to pace yourselves.

Also, Tullegolar? It's Valorim, not Valorum. Also, Littleton is located just northeast of where the two branches of the mountain split. It's a mining town.

AMMEND: Nikki, do you mind if I take Sarrin? You seem to have released her from your faction, and I can picture a use for her.

[ Wednesday, January 16, 2008 19:57: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #91
Sorry if my brief (and unplanned) absence has disrupted anything. I should have a new IC tonight or tomorrow morning.

--------------------
The BoA Arena: Two collections of ones and zeroes enter. One collection of ones and zeroes leaves.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #92
quote:

It's Valorim, not Valorum.
Hmm, I guess I'll always be a Star Wars nerd first (Chancellor Valorum) and an Avernum nerd second. Anyway, here's a new map of Valorim since there has been so much action there recently.

Valorim Map 3.0

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #93
Nioca: Take her. She's practically useless anyhow - she left before the New Empire was born, so in theory all the knowledge she'll have about me is out of date. I was planning on having her tie in with my faction later, but I see no reason why that can't happen even if she goes to your faction. I mean, obviously now she's yours, I'll have to ask nicely.

In short, yes. :)

Edit: Sorry ET. This time, it's not as bad, I suppose. And yay long posts!

[ Thursday, January 17, 2008 03:55: Message edited by: Hey, Jude. ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Um, Is someone going to have contact with the Thieves Guild by any chance?
...truthfully, you could be doing a lot more to inspire contact, Excalibur. In no uncertain terms, you have spent the RP thus far playing with yourself (others in past RPs have put this much more bluntly, and in terms that quite frankly violate the CoC).

I would advise working a bit more from your side of the table to initiate contact. Particularly given that the Thieves Guild is rather secretive and thus might be a little difficult to track down, it'd be easier for you to contact people than vice-versa.

EDIT: I'll try and post something soon, but no guarantees. I'm kinda running on no sleep right now.

[ Thursday, January 17, 2008 09:38: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #95
So, get this: I just wrote a very long post, with plenty of information on Jubilee, Farport, the Expedition, Krizsan, Sharimik, and Bigail. Rather long, very worthy. Then, I'm going to copy it incase I have a problem, and I accidentally click paste. Whole thing gone in an instant. Extremely frustrating. So, my response will come tomorrow.

Dintiradan, if you could respond to my previous post now so I can move forward there as well, then that'd be peachy. Also, it'd be great if you could help with my portal scheme. Remember Ernest, the guy with portals going everywhere in A3? I'm going to use him to get myself some serious portal connections everywhere, from Upper Avernum to Tinraya. That is, if all goes according to plan.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #96
Avernum doesn't seem to very active as of late. I'll give Tyran a couple more days to post.

Also, I find it disturbing that there are summaries of posts that are longer than some posts in the RP. Is there really a need to post that much?

I'm concerned about creating a 'network' of portals. Maybe there should be some guidelines about where factions can open portals? Teleporting massive armies into enemy faction zones seems unreasonable. But then again so does declaring zones where portals cannot be created...

[ Thursday, January 17, 2008 19:13: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #97
Make the destination end of a newly created portal unstable. Unless someone finds some way to stabilize it, it'll just collapse again after a period of time elapses (which is shortened by every thing/being that comes through it).

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #98
I agree that there should be a discussion before a new portal can be opened up anywhere. I do think portals should be on the table, however, simply for maximum interaction.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #99
RE: The Thieves' Guild:
I'm sure the intent of the faction is to provide stealthy muscle for hire, much like the Adventurer's Guild in the previous incarnation of the RP. It's not just Excalibur's fault - nobody's started really fighting yet, and thus has no need of the guild. Yet.

I'll try incorporate hearing about the guild sometime in the next few ICs, though not the next one (which will be tomorrow).

By Sullust:
quote:
I'm concerned about creating a 'network' of portals. Maybe there should be some guidelines about where factions can open portals? Teleporting massive armies into enemy faction zones seems unreasonable. But then again so does declaring zones where portals cannot be created...
I've always visualized portals to be like making a phone call - there has to be someone on the other end picking up to start the conversation. I'm sure there's examples in game canon that contradict this, but they would probably be unbalancing. I'm sure Laz wouldn't like it if all the senior mages of the College beamed into Shayder and started nuking the place.

How about this: all major portals (allow troop movement, trade, etc.) need a major investment from both the factions at each end. Multiple-destination portals (a la Avernum 4) require a major investment at one end, and a moderate investment for each pylon. However, the portal would be weaker, only allowing a few people through per day/week/whatever (like an adventuring party, a la Avernum 4 again).

I'd like to echo ET's last statement; without portals, Avernum and Valorim are playing two separate games, and Eph is playing with himself. ;)

On a similar topic - Goldenking:
quote:
Dintiradan, if you could respond to my previous post now so I can move forward there as well, then that'd be peachy. Also, it'd be great if you could help with my portal scheme. Remember Ernest, the guy with portals going everywhere in A3? I'm going to use him to get myself some serious portal connections everywhere, from Upper Avernum to Tinraya. That is, if all goes according to plan.
Heh. Remember in the first thread, when I sent a team to recover all the power crystals in Ernest's hut (page 4 & 8). Still, we could rule that it's easier to create a new portal where an old one once stood.

By the way, don't hold your breath for the necromancer. The College wouldn't train someone in necromancy or demonology. These are mages, so perhaps there's a bad apple in the bunch, or at least someone with a general idea of the theory. Still, Boris isn't likely to know of a person like this, and he wouldn't admit it if he did. It would be like asking a principal if he knew of any serial killers in his school.

Again, IC probably tomorrow. Alec, this is the last chance for the Alliance to show signs of life. Otherwise, I'll just assume the coup wasn't stable and fell apart quickly.

--------------------
John Donne
Undone
- John Donne's Grave

Pages