The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #0
This the OoC (out of character) thread for the latest incarnation of the Avernum RP. This is where everything not written in character should go, to prevent cluttering of the IC thread. This helps us avoid the almost inevitable topic crash that UBB bestows upon most of our RPs.

Some resources:Also, post here if you've got questions about faction suitability and/or any of the rules.

[ Friday, January 11, 2008 23:03: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #1
The maps for Avernum and Pralgad are 404's.

Also, will I have to read the entire original thread to understand and participate in this?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Those maps are currently 404s because Aran is working out issues with his hosting company, so everything on the ermarian network is down.

You definitely do not need to read the original thread... most of it's good stuff if you need a good read, though. But if you don't read the original, be prepared to be a little flexible in case you try to set up directly on top of another faction.

EDIT: Just for clarification, this RP is going to be moderated to some degree, in the sense that we won't be allowing nonsense. I expect Alec will do a lot of this pseudo-moderating, but until he gets back (with new maps, hopefully), I will take that role.

[ Monday, January 07, 2008 13:17: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #3
Are there any specifications for an introductory post?

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Are there any specifications for an introductory post?
Drakey had a form we all used in the original thread. You can see it in his second post, which is also the second post in the original thread. I'd use that. Anyways, half a sort of rallying speech/IC justification, half the OOC form.

I think I might get my faction's intro up tomorrow. I've got finals next week, though, so I wouln't be around to much in the beginning.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
The Order has returned!

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
Again, I do apologise if I've stolen somebody else's spot... :/

EDIT: And jeez, Excalibur. What's with the vocab?

quote:
"Upon realizing no misfortunes were set upon the box, Amadis quickly opened it."
It reads like a thesaurus :P

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 02:59: Message edited by: Slowly Downward ]

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7
How many years have passed since the last thread?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #8
Is my faction OK?This is my first time participating in RP so helpful criticism is welcome.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Less than a year, actually. The rakshasi spread out quickly.

quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:

Is my faction OK?This is my first time participating in RP so helpful criticism is welcome.
Looks okay to me. In the last thread there was a faction located in the Honeycomb and Mertis (Athron's Ascendancy), but the controller (Sir David) has said that he might not return to the RP. There was only like one post with it anyway.

So your call if you want to move it, but everything else looks alright.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #10
Posted. I am quite terrified of making a major blunder at this point, seeing as I will probably never manage to read the original. Right now I'm concentrating on getting my fort built and my priorities in order.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
Alright, Jeran. This RP will not tolerate over-powered characters, as it has had problems with such in the past. So let's get some things straight:

quote:
Quite large to tiny bands in all major cities and most towns.
No. No faction can pull this off, particularly after the Time of the Star. You're forgetting that we didn't so much beat the rakshasi, but more outlasted their finite numbers.

quote:
HQ in old Erox
Actually, I like this.

quote:
the Guardians of the Star believe that the Rakshasa were not the only beings heralded by the coming of the red star
Just so you know, and this applies to everyone, you can believe it, but it doesn't make it true. The rakshasi were the only invaders, and the Red Star is gone. Forever.

quote:
Galvin Magnus himself is an Arch-Mage, rumoured to be immortal through his vast skills as a necromancer and invoker, he often marches with the Guardians and supports them with his vast array of incredibly deadly spells, summonings and enchantments. He even has learned the arts of might and is more then capable of defending and even defeating his enemies in melee combat.
No, no, no. Nobody's faction leader is immortal. Nobody's faction leader gets deadly spells, necromancy, and combat prowess. No +20 Swords of Idiocy. Tone it back. A lot.

So truly, the two main problems with your faction are the god-leader and the degree to which your faction seems to have weathered the storm of the rakshasi. You see, nobody in Ermarian of any significant power saw it coming, so nobody could have formed a reasonable defense before the fact. So if you want to have your faction pre-date the Time of the Star, they've got to be an beaten-down remnant of the former forces seeking refuge from the last of the rakshasi, because everyone and everything more or less got torched in some way. In that case, you don't get to be in "all the major towns and cities".

Your other option is to have the faction exist as a response to the Time of the Star, in which case it would be formed from the remnants of more powerful forces. This means that just like everyone else, you're just establishing yourself amidst the wreckage of Ermarian. It also means that you don't get to be in "all the major towns and cities", because you're probably just beginning to localise in one area. And if you're really dedicated to fighting the rakshasi, don't be afraid to set up shop in Aizo.

I hope this has been informative, and I hope that you choose to stick with the RP. But I also hope you understand that if you don't change your faction, you're as good as out. That kind of overpowered stuff may be tolerated in other RPs, but not here.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Less than a year, actually. The rakshasi spread out quickly.

quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:

Looks okay to me. In the last thread there was a faction located in the Honeycomb and Mertis (Athron's Ascendancy), but the controller (Sir David) has said that he might not return to the RP. There was only like one post with it anyway.

So your call if you want to move it, but everything else looks alright.

Also, I destroyed Mertis in one of my IC's awhile back. All the people were killed and turned into an undead army for reasons yet to be revealed.

Expect my next IC sometime tomorrow.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

Plans are being made to revive Tygra by means of necromancy.

These plans had better go awry. And I'm generally a little skeptical about retrieving one man's corpse out of a twice-ransacked city.

Other than that, nice.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #14
Gah! Okay, I'll post tomorrow, for sure this time.

Really!

--------------------
Anyone can tell the truth, but only very few of us can make epigrams.
- W. Somerset Maugham
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
So, after much personal debate, I changed my mind and joined. Let me know if you find problems with my faction.

P.S.: And you can keep the die. ;)

[ Tuesday, January 08, 2008 22:45: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #16
Crap! I have had WAY to much D&D recently. Consider the post not only edited but washed out with soap and disinfectant.

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #17
A question: Are there fixed points of contact between Avernum, Upper Avernum, and the surface, like in the games? If so, where are they?

--------------------
The BoA Arena: Two collections of ones and zeroes enter. One collection of ones and zeroes leaves.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #18
Crap. I just read Goldenking's post with fresh eyes, and realized that we both laid claim to the same town: Gidrik. Since GK came first (and I doubt that he'd give it up), I'll have to see if I can find some workaround.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #19
Any better?

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Crap! I have had WAY to much D&D recently. Consider the post not only edited but washed out with soap and disinfectant.
Good to hear it. I look forward to the revised version.

quote:
Originally written by Sarachim:

A question: Are there fixed points of contact between Avernum, Upper Avernum, and the surface, like in the games? If so, where are they?
I would assume so, but I don't think we really set anything in stone. Go nuts... as of A5, it seems like everyone's trying to get more portals set up going between the caves and surface, so it would make sense to assume that they aren't all that rare (though not all of them would be high-powered enough to take people through safely).

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Crap. I just read Goldenking's post with fresh eyes, and realized that we both laid claim to the same town: Gidrik. Since GK came first (and I doubt that he'd give it up), I'll have to see if I can find some workaround.
...*sigh*. Why is everyone in Valorim? Can't anyone else make up city names? Are we really this fiercely bound to canon?

(Read: I'm getting sick of being the only one in Vantanas. :P )

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
I think that fixed it... Now, instead of getting resources from Gidrik, I'm salvaging resources from the old Troglo Castle.

[ Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:29: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
Jeran, Nioca: Both look better. :D

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Also, I destroyed Mertis in one of my IC's awhile back. All the people were killed and turned into an undead army for reasons yet to be revealed.
Crap!Could it get rebuild or something?I was counting on it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Recently written by Jeran Korak:
Crap!
quote:
Recently written by Nioca:
Crap.
quote:
Recently written by LakiRa@:
Crap!
The general consensus around here seems to be crap. :P

Ephesos - I plan to have Iocabe receive a pigeon from his contact in the Vantanas informing Iocabe of Clearwater's death, and then have said contact act as an emissary for Sanctuary, proposing an alliance. Is this okay with you?

AMMEND: Ever read a word so many times that it seems to lose its meaning and become a jumble of letters? Because I'm experiencing a mild case of that now. If this post has caused anyone else to experience that, I apologize. :(

[ Wednesday, January 09, 2008 14:00: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

Pages