The Avernum RP, OoC Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Avernum RP, OoC Thread
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #150
Gee, why has Alec been absent for so long?

If cloaking is the process of bending light around the individual, the spell would result in the person appearing as darkness amidst the light.

[ Monday, January 21, 2008 15:10: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #151
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

I don't think they should cast shadows. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 'reasoning' behind invisibility/cloaking and the like usually that the caster somehow causes light to bend around them, instead of reflect off them? In that case they shouldn't cast shadows.
Or, you know, it could just be seamless camouflage, making them blend perfectly in with their backgrounds. In that case, they would cast shadows, as they're still there.

The issue originated from The Hobbit, and it was the one weakness of invisibility at the time.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #152
If it's the bending of light, they would simply appear to not be there. If it was to stop them from reflecting light, they would appear as blackness, but if the light was perfectly bent, it would be perfect invisibility.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #153
Bent light is really what I'm trying to go for here. It's why the air wavers and the target fades back into view when it starts to fail; the spell can't keep up or lacks the energy to keep the concealment steady.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #154
quote:
Originally written by Agrajag:

If it's the bending of light, they would simply appear to not be there. If it was to stop them from reflecting light, they would appear as blackness, but if the light was perfectly bent, it would be perfect invisibility.
No, if the light bends around the individual there is not light where the individual is, and in the absence of light there is darkness. Also, something that prevents light from reflecting is simply a black object.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #155
Yes, but to an onlooker, it would appear as if the person is just not there. Assuming, of course, that the light was bent back into a straight line.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #156
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

Gee, why has Alec been absent for so long?

If cloaking is the process of bending light around the individual, the spell would result in the person appearing as darkness amidst the light.

This is kinda morbid; however, if anything tragic happened to a board member we'd probably never find out about it. They'd just stop posting...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #157
He's probably off somewhere being a failure... or a success. It could go either way with that guy, but I certainly don't intend to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I'm sure he would afford us the same treatment.

He better not be dead... he's not even on my list of people to kill! Hmm, how long has it been since Stareye posted?

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #158
Stareye posted a response in the Avernum 5 forum two days ago. No biggie

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #159
Damn.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #160
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I believe the teleporter in question should transfer people to Execa, Vila, or Torria. In case you're wondering, I'm speaking of the Island south of Gale.
Bah. Okay, whilst Valorim is a remote continent, not once in A/E3 did anyboyd mention that the original portal was located on the continent. And, I think they would at least be aware of it. Secondly, there was never anywhere that was really suitable for a big knock-off portal.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #161
"A low stone building, far from any city."

That is the only canon description of the surface side of the portal. Valorim was a wild continent, and your trying to get far away from any city, that would be the logical place to go. Of course, since you, Nikki, are so bent on urbanizing the once wild continent, it is not too far fetched to say a city now stands exactly where that non-desrcript stone building once stood. I think that Eastern island would be a fine place for it to be opened. Perhaps where Zkal's tower once stood. The lich could have been drawn there by the excess energy of the portal ruins. Who knows, right?

Edit: Alternately, if this really bothers you, I can just say they redirected the portal and open it up anywhere the Lady damn well pleases.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 05:30: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #162
Fair enough, and I didn't have any reason to say "whoa, not Valorim!" except that it just didn't resonate with me. I'd assumed that if the surface-avernum portal was in Valorim, it'd have been name-checked.

So, okay, go for Valorim. My main point now, then, is that "far from any city" means it probably shouldn't be on an island a few miles south of Gale (although I admit Gale might not have existed then...(and yes, this is nit-picking.). It is, though, after all your choice, and it's no biggie, in fairness. I'm happy for it to be anywhere except Delis.

P.S. "bent on urbanizing?" I made one town. And a rural, farming one at that.

Edit: rather than having 3 separate " :P ", just read this with your tongue firmly in your cheek.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 05:43: Message edited by: Hey, Jude. ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #163
quote:
Originally written by Hey, Jude.:

P.S. "bent on urbanizing?" I made one town. And a rural, farming one at that.
Two. You made two. :P

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #164
I think he meant that his faction isn't bent on urbanizing. The Phoenix Empire has only built one town. Perrin existed before that particular faction.

EDIT: Ha! Beat Nikki to information on his own faction!

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 09:16: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #165
Pssh. Perrin is clearly a Vogelian town - how else would I have forgotten it as soon as I'd visited once?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #166
You're working under the assumption that I do actually open the portal for you ET. That remains to be seen. Who knows, I might redirect the opening into a solid cliff... :P

On that note, I'll post another IC tonight regarding how close Acrio Sulfi is to arriving at Fort Avernum.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #167
Nikki, no need to be so impatient IC'ly. I'm waiting for Lazarus, so I can make one sweeping post. It's a nice role playing concept called 'fluid time'.

[ Tuesday, January 22, 2008 13:18: Message edited by: Goldenking ]

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #168
In theory, waiting for others to finish an IC before posting your own is good. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work so well in practice. Nedar has been stuck at Krell for quite a while now, and if I had waited for Ephesos... Well, I'd still be waiting, and most of my plot would still be unrevealed.

The point? There's no way to know if Lazarus is going to make a post at some point in the near future. But your faction is only loosely tied in with the Anama at this point, while it also has several more pressing matters with other factions. Holding everyone up here to wait for Lazarus isn't going to help anyone, including Lazarus.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #169
Hmmm. Fine. I'll have the post up tomorrow.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #170
Odd. I've noticed there seems to be a chain of someone waiting for this person who's waiting for that person who's waiting...

Yeah, I'm waiting for Nioca or Goldenking to post.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #171
The ball's in your court now, Sullust. I'm prepared to reforge any kind of alliance that you want, and if need be, I will certainly provide troops to fight ET with.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #172
Goldenking: I think you forgot the Sharimik part of your post.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #173
I wasn't impatient OOC, it was my character was. At the time (and heck, I'm still not convinced :P ) we thought that you'd burnt the bridge to let us to starve.

Meh, whatever.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #174
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Goldenking: I think you forgot the Sharimik part of your post.
I realized that as I posted the post. My mistakes, and I lived through it all the way through school, anxious to fix it. IF you want an excuse though, here it is:

I was tired, and it was late.

--------------------

Pages