The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #100
OoC: Happy to see that nobody advanced our party... I had a great idea this afternoon but had to leave it. And I think I'm going to start italicizing thoughts as well.

EDIT OoC: Hey, 100th post! Woohoo!

IC:

Looking down at the suit of armor full of Cyrus, Brother Oakleaf cast another look around the clearing they had stopped in. "We have everything?"

Andros tossed a rib into the pile. "I think that's all... nobody spotted anything else."

"Be careful with that!" Cyrus yelled when the rib bounced into the armor. "I kind of need it!"

"Sorry," Andros said. "But now what?"

"Put my head back on the armor, and I'll just be an hour." Cyrus said, clearly a bit annoyed. Brother Sequoia carefully balanced the skull on top of its armor, and stepped back.

"Wait..." Melora said suddenly. "I hear something. Growls, probably wolves."

As if on cue, a pack of six wolves leapt out from the surrounding forest. Brother Sequoia immediately noticed something strange: the wolves were larger than most he had ever seen, and had what looked like a malicious glint in their eyes.

"Do not kill them! They are only acting according to their nature!" Sequoia yelled, as Lisha and Caecus had already drawn blades. The druid then held his staff aloft and started shouting a spell. His staff glowed neon green, and a thick hedge wall grew up around the six adventurers with a loud creaking of wood. However, unlike in the town, this wall quickly grew foot-long thorns to coat the ten-foot walls.

Andros lowered his already-loaded crossbow, looking puzzled. "Why do we leave them alone?"

"Cyrus needs time to pull himself together, pardon the pun." Sequoia replied, focusing his energy on maintaining the wall.

The first two wolves charged the wall, if Sequoia interpreted the resulting yelps correctly. However, he soon heard the wolves tearing into the wall again, which put him on edge. Normal wolves would've given up after the first try, he thought. This can't be good...

After a few tense minutes, with Cyrus still muttering words of necromancy to himself, a loud growl marked the first wolf clawing through the hedge. Brother Sequoia shouted more spells, and the hole closed itself up, growing thorns again. "I can't keep this up all day! Get ready!" he yelled.

"But you said..." Caecus began, but Sequoia cut him off.

"This isn't natural at all," the druid said with a snarl. "It's trying to kill us for a reason beyond food, so I advise you get ready!"

OoC: I believe that matched up nicely.

And on an unrelated note, I'd like to know if anyone would mind having their character appear in my work-in-progress BoA scenario (assuming they survive the RP). If you don't want them in it, post and let me know, and if you're interested, e-mail me and give me details. I for one plan on including Brother Sequoia as long as he survives.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 20:06: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #101
"These aren't any ordinary wolves," Caecus hissed, "they're Hunting Wargs!" He percieved them further. "Much like the ones my villagers defended against. We've always thought that a demon had something to do with them!" he added.

And with that, one of them broke through. Caecus quickly slashed an "x" on its chest. "That will keep it occupied!" he yelled. Caecus hurled it over the wall as Sequoia mended the hedge.

[ Sunday, August 07, 2005 22:24: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #102
OOC: I've just dent you the details of my character.
Its sound like a good idea. Don't forget to tell me when the scenario is finished!

At the moment I'm still waiting for Sherlock and the maker of Cain (Sorry, but i forgot your name...). I don't want to start dragging them around.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #103
OOC: I don't mind. I won't be able to play it anyway, but I still don't mind. Now, where was I...

IC:

The wolves were about to attack, but then were called back by some noise that they could only hear. They trotted off. Brail and Weech followed them cautiously, but there was no need. The wolves acted like they did not exist.

After a couple of minutes following them the wolves started getting aggressive again. They started jogging. The Weech gave a shout as he seen a group of people in the distance. That was what the wolves were going for. Brail told Weech to stay back, and they started walking slowly towards the group as the wolves attacked. Then all of a sudden, a wall of thorns appeared out of nowhere! The wolves kept running, and, due to their momentum, hit the wall. They regrouped and tried again. Brail turned to Weech:

'I think that we should help those people out. Maybe we could milk some gold out of them. Lets go. I'll go around the back, you charge at them. Hurry, one has already broken through.'

Brail went around the back and gave Weech the signal. Together, they charged. A wolf turned at the sound of them. It looked like the leader, as it was biggest. It charged at Weech and took him down, but it didn't go for the kill. Brail went for that one first...

OOC: Sorry if you wanted to do that fight yourself. I don't intend to join the group, but I will if you want. I don't mind.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #104
OOC: Wolves? I wish I had my fire mage Eferas now - "Naur dan i ngaurhoth!" As it is, however...

IC:

The shadow is in them. Whether the wolves were ordinary animals or not, the will that was guiding them was not that of beasts. Sequoia was quite right.

While Cyrus was still apparently struggling with the magic that would weave him back together, Melora approached him.

"Do you need help with that? I have a little skill in Necromancy." she said matter-of-factly. "I might be able to speed it up, and we need every second we can get."

While she was waiting for Cyrus to respond, a crashing sound sounded from behind her and a hole appeared in the hedge. Before Sequoia was able to close it, a wolf's head broke through it with a hideous snarl. Its red eyes shone balefully and its jaw gaped wide.

Melora's hand reached into her sleeve. Before she had fully turned around it came out with a small silver dagger, which was whirring through the air a second later. Mithril, mined in the Angranakh mountains. If you're a werewolf, you won't feel so good in a moment...

OOC: Werewolf, Illusion or ordinary wolf possessed? The dagger is thrown accurately enough to kill an ordinary beast, but if the silver-like alloy kills it, that will be a visible difference. I don't want to make that decision.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 01:09: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #105
IC:

"Do you have a map?" asked Tuulentekija from Cain while Filbert and Edith were buying their equipment. "Of course. Why do you need that?" Cain answered and glanced to his weird, masked companion.

"I just thought it would be good to plan our route a little" Tuulentekija said. "Also, my map is a little outdated, so I don't think we can trust it fully."

"Okay then" Cain said and pulled a wrapped-up parchment out of his sleeve. Tuulentekija inspected Cain's map carefully while rolling his own map open. "So we are currently here..." he said and pointed Cain's map. "Your map has a river drawn north-west from here. Strange. My map doesn't."

"But your map has markings of all known entrances to the undermountain passages" Cain said and lifted his eyebrows. "I didn't even know somebody had cartographed the mountain in that detail..."

"But your's has much more inns and towns drawn on it. Hmmm, I didn't realize my map was that badly outdated..." Tuulentekija muttered. "I'll tell you what. We should buy a little parchment and ink. I have an idea..."

---

When Filbert and Edith finally came back with their newly purchased equipment, Cain and Tuulentekija had already finished with their project.

"Ah, I see you are finally ready to leave" Cain said with a little of sarcasm in his voice. "Good. We'll leave within an hour. But first, you should come here and take a look to this new map of our's..."

OoC: Marvin, Nazgul is away for a while, so we quite have to drag his char around.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #106
OOC: I should post more often.

IC: Since leaving the tavern, Edith has already exchanged words with a man who has to be the worst example an adventurer that she has ever met. In all likelihood, he will probably be more hindrance than help on this trip, but she isn't one to judge people until they prove her theory.

While the other two compare maps, she and the man go to purchase some equipment. Having the available money, she has no trouble buying all she needs. The man too, seems to have plenty of money to spend. Stopping at her home on the way back, she gathers up a second knapsack of items, and rejoins the man with all of her supplies. She is met with a look of bewilderment.

"What do you need all of that for? We're only going on a short trip."

"Short? You’re joking, right, Mr...."

"My name is Filbert."

"Mr. Filbert. Surely you're aware that this trip could be dangerous and that we could be gone for days or weeks?"

"Weeks?! Why would we be gone that long?! We are only going to track down and kill the undead."

"Oh come on. You can't be so dense that you didn't notice those men sizing up the mountain. It's obvious that they want to go on a treasure hunt. Besides, those undead are perfectly harmless. I do not intend to harm them."

"Treasure hunt? But that's just a myth. And since when were any undead harmless?"

Edith rolls her eyes and replies. "Because I have met harmless undead in my time and I know harmless ones when I see them." Shortly after this conversation, they rejoin the other two men.

"Ah, I see you are finally ready to leave. Good. We'll leave within an hour. But first, you should come here and take a look to this new map of ours..."

Edith breaks into his sentence immediately. "Wait, wait, wait. Now hold on just a minute. Since leaving you to buy equipment, I have been introduced to Filbert here. However, I still have no clue as to who either of you are and I refuse to take another step until we have been properly introduced. I'll start. My name is Edith."

The man in the iron mask moves to speak first with a likely smile on his face under the mask. "Well, Miss Edith, my name is Tuulentekija."

The assassin replies promptly on cue, though slightly irritated, "My name is Cain."

Satisfied, she says, "There, now, that wasn't so hard. You may continue with what you were going to show us, Cain."

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #107
Lisha turned from watching Caecus barely in time to see the silver dagger bury itself in a wolf's blood-red throat. She looked in alarm at the elf, then back at the wolf; how had she produced the weapon so quickly? Her throw hadn't even attracted the attention of Lisha's well-trained eyes. The beast's yelp of pain was cut short by a torrent of steaming blood; it writhed in pain for several seconds before falling limp, suspended by the druid's vicious thorns. Melora gave a visible nod of relief and turned back to the pile of armor at her feet.

Curved blade in hand, Lisha flew to the dead wolf and wrenched the dagger free, simultaneously deepening the wound with her long knife. She stepped back to avoid the pouring blood and wiped the dagger clean, then held it up for inspection. Eyes widening, she turned and went to Melora.

"Mithril?"

Melora reached for the dagger, but Lisha tightened her grip. "Only a precaution." She tried twisting the blade, to no avail. An angry grunt of effort tainted by a hint of unfamiliar fear came to them from the direction of the druid. A moment later, a third wolf sported a dagger in its heaving side. Caecus removed the beast's head with a single swipe of his sword, avoiding Lisha's weapon.

"A necessary precaution, however," Lisha said, turning back to the elf. "As Brother Sequoia said, these are no ordinary wolves. Nor are they werewolves, as we now know," she continued, relinquishing her grip on the silver dagger. A nearby portion of the hedge began its decay prematurely and left a brittle brown wall of thorns between the group and their unnatural assailants. Lisha positioned herself to defend the area of the wall if it were breached.

"I have never seen wolves act this way," replied Melora, returning the dagger to her sleeve. "They have attacked stray humans, of course, and the odd ground dweller, but never with such fervor and determination. What little minds they have are no longer their own."

A wolf found the dead portion of the wall and immediately leapt through it, ignoring its pain. Lisha ran at it and slid her blade deep into its belly as it jumped at her. A second wolf followed, then a third, as if what was seen by one was known by all. Caecus noticed and turned to them, raising his arms above his helmet and whispering a curse. A bolt burried itself in a wolf's hairy chest and knocked it, dead, into its campanion, which stumbled but sprung back up as Lisha threw herself on it. A well-placed dagger ended the wolf's miserable life, though not before it let out an unearthly howl.

Brother Sequoia, shaking with rage and sadness and fatigue, stumbled to the opening and placed his staff in the hole. For a moment beautiful spring leaves burst from the previously dead branches, then slowed and stopped. The druid fell to the ground, panting from the effort. "I can't... go-"

The ring of claws on steel pierced the clearing. Caecus turned back in time to see a struggling wolf disappear from the hedge. The group heard the sounds of a struggle, and then another pitiful yelp of pain. Andros rushed to the opening, bow ready, but stopped in surprise. He turned to adress the group, but Lisha smiled grimly and cut him off -

"Yes - we are not alone."

EDIT: OOC: Ugh. I need sleep, as I'm sure you can tell. At least that partially answers your question, Aran.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 20:14: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #108
IC: With Weech out of action, Brail had to take the leader on by himself. His first stab with his sword sliced its side, but the wolf seemed impervious to the pain. Brail tried again, but only chopped some of its ear off. And then its tail. Brail was receiving cuts to the body, and was getting backed up against a tree. The wolf swung its paw back, ready to kill Brail, when Weech dragged his sorry body into the way. Blood spattering, he was hit in the throat. He fell to the ground. Brail cried out, but after years of watching companions dise, he knew what he had to do. He got his sword, and simply stuck it into the wolfs throat. A yelp of pain indicated its death, putting an end to its pitiful life.
Brail ran to Weech, who was bleeding profousely.

'Hold on, I'll get you some help. You will be alright.' Brail was shaking.
'No,' Weech breathed. 'I have beheld a marvelous story being with you. Let it end now. Don't forget me.' Brail said to Weech between sobs, 'I will get the bastard who done this. I promise. I will scale that mountain naked to get him, if I have to.' Weech gave what looked like a smile, and died, right there in Brails arms.

Meanwhile, the other wolves were disheartened with the death of the leader. Their attacks became more desperate, they were becoming sluggish. After a matter of minutes, there was only one left, wounded on the ground. Brail stalked over to it in anger. With a slash, he took its head off. He looked over at the wall of roses. It had came down, and there was a small party there. Two undead, two females, and a couple of men. They looked as if that was a breeze, and they obviously had no idea that there was a death.

'Greetings!' One hailed at him. 'I am Lisha. And you are?'

OOC: I think that it came otu rather good, don't you?

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
there was a small party there
OOC: Drink, dance and be merry! (It's just that the word cracked me up.) :D

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Apprentice
Member # 5946
Profile Homepage #110
"There", Guy began hesitantly, "... there was the tunnel."

"Was?" Sullust asked, peering into the dense thickets into which they had wandered. It did not appear promising. Rather, it appeared much the same as all the other woodland amongst which they had wandered over the last few hours.

"It was here a few days ago, when last I was in these parts. A small trapdoor that you can only see up close. The mountain is fairly honeycombed with caverns, see, and this should have led us into the lowest of them. I had hoped to show you around a bit en route to the village."

He poked around them with a stick, prodding and probing. There was nothing but grass. Not even any turned earth could be found. Sullust looked at Guy as though he was mad.

"What are you on about?" he asked at last.

"However," Guy replied, "this tunnel seems to have moved away."

Sullust stared back at him. "Alternatively, you've managed to get us lost. Or you've been lying to me all along."

"Why on earth would I do that?" Guy retorted. "This tunnel was here. Now it is not. The trees around here conform to the correct pattern, and so I am certain we are in the right spot. Someone must have filled in the tunnel, or used magic somehow. Or something."

"Really."

Guy shrugged. "This sort of weirdness you get used to, living in a land ruled by a powerful mythical beast for hundreds of years. I don't know if the legends about Orloki are real, or not, but the place tends to keep itself in order most of the time. Though things have been very unusual, recently..."

They were interrupted by the clamour of blades and the shouting of men. The sound came from just to the East, and they notice with surprise that the rest of the forest had fallen silent, without even the sound of birds to grace the air. Guy jumped onto his feet, and ran to the source of the noise, darting between the thick and shivering trees. Sullust could barely follow.

They found it just as the adventurers were cleaning their blades. Guy stared in horror at the corpses of the fallen wolf-whelps.

"What have you done...?"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #111
Filbert bought all his suplies at some local shop. He didn't want to pay to much, so he bought only the standard things. When he went out, that women was already waiting for him. (Here's the conversation between Filbert and Edith. Just look at the post of Sherlock)

When they came back to the other men, they were nusy with some map. Filbert looked at it. What a nice map. maybe i should have bought my own. he thought

"...is Edith" Edith said. Filbert looked at her. I must have dozed of or something. what did she say? But when the others started introducing themselves, he understood they where introducing themselves. "So I'm filbert, as I already said at the tavern," Filbert replied last.

"What are you going to show us?" Edith asked Cain.

"Look, there's this path here, leading strait towards the mountain. I've marked it, you see."

"but, but, that's where the camp of these undead is!" Filbert said.

"yes? And you want to take an other route because of that? Look. We already said they are probably long gone when we arrive there." Tuulentekija said.

"No, i was just saying that..."

"Shut up, were going to take that route, okay?" Cain said to Filbert.

At that moment several birds flew away from the trees, somewhere in the middle of the wood.

"What was that!" Cain shouted. "that's on the route we're going to take."

"I said it was a bad idea." Filbert replied.

"We should go to see what's happening there. they all ran into the woods, Filbert walking behind the other. I really don't think this is a good idea! but what the heck. I f they'll get chopped into tiny bits, I'll use my second weapon....

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #112
OoC: Wow... already a death. And why is everyone rushing to join our party? That'll just make things much more complicated...

No IC in this post, too tired to think (and trying to relearn too many characters).

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #113
OOC I mus have read to hasty, because I didn't see that there is somebody who died.

I think that the party in the woods mayb should start going on again, and maybe the other group will get lost or something, just to get them apart or something.

Sorry, no IC. i want somebody else to continue with our party.

PS: Ephesos? Did you already get my email?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #114
OOC:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

OoC: Wow... already a death. And why is everyone rushing to join our party? That'll just make things much more complicated...

No IC in this post, too tired to think (and trying to relearn too many characters).

I'm not really rushing to joing the party; like I said, I don't really mind who I am with. And Weech (the one who died) was excess baggage from the start. I was planning on killing him. Its less work for me. :P

I might do some IC soon.

--------------------

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #115
OoC: Don't worry, Marvin, I got the e-mail. And anyone whose character makes it into the scenario will be among the first to be offered a role betatesting (after all, I want to get the characters right).

And I agree, I think it's time our party moved on (sorry, I think seven people will be enough for now).

IC:

EDIT: IC removed, waiting for previous posts to finish.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 09:08: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #116
Ephesos, you ignored a post. :P

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #117
OoC: Urk... I thought we were ignoring "IC under construction"s. I'll remove the post.

EDIT: Okay, if nobody posts soon, I'm going ahead with my previous IC.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 10:55: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #118
Now this is strange Tuulentekija thought when they finally arrived to the spot they had seen the birds fleeing from. I haven't seen this many wolf tracks since I left home! And this close to a town... I don't think this is normal. Normally they'd avoid people as good as they can!

"Uh. I don't think we should be here." Filbert said and eyed their surroundings nervously. "Shut up" Cain replied and turned to Edith. "You live around he, don't you. Is it normal around here that a pack of wolves this big goes wanders this near to a town?"

"No, it isn't. But these are not normal wolves. They live on the mountain..." Edith stopped and shivered.

They live on the mountain? But I thought... Tuulentekija thought and his eyes widened behind his mask. "Are you sure?" he asked from Edith. "Yes, they do. I've heard travellers tell they live near the summit and..."

" Near the summit?! " Tuulentekija replied with dibeleif in his voice. "That's impossible! What they would eat up there? What they would breath? Even most birds don't fly that high" he said and shook his head.

"Uh, shouldn't we be going?" Cain asked. "These tracks are still fresh, and I don't feel comfortable with a pack of wolves running around."

"He's right" Edith said and glanced at Cain. "The wolves of the mountain are dangerous. We should get going."

Tuulentekija rose, and started walking. They are right. It is dangerous to stay he thought. But if these wolves... no, they can't be wolves, they have to be something else...so if these creatures live on the mountain, then aren't we heading straight to their lair?

Tuulentekija looked over his shoulder to the other three who were following. He knew he could survive from the wolves, as long as there wouldn't be a wolf big enough to bite his head off. Of course, he was quite confident there would be one judging from the tracks they had seen, but he could spot a creature that big from far enough so he could go around it. But what about the other three?

Yes, indeed, what about them? Tuulentekija pondered while walking forward.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #119
OOC: Here we go...

IC: Brail still had his weapon drawn cautiously as he approached the group. He ignored the question that was put forth by the one called Lisha. A man came up and introduced himself as Caecus, then said, 'I thank you with all my heart for your bravery in assisting us just now. You are free to join us if you want.'
Brail already knew what he was to do. 'No, it looks like you have enough people as it is. I must continue on, but first I will make a trip to the Eastern lands. I need to find some information. I'm a spy for Lord Karrases of Aram, and must carry out my duties.'

Lisha didn't look very upset, but Brail didn't mind. He was content with being on his own.

'Well,' Brail said briskly. 'I must be off, and I hope you find wealth in your journey. Goodbye!'

And with that, he continued his quest.

That night as he was making camp, he was thinking hard about The Eastern Lands. He had heard a lot about it from his friends and family, and by the sounds of it, he may just have to risk his life. Grimmly, he went to sleep.

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #120
The moment they stumbled upon the corpses of the wolves, Sullust could feel something snap inside of Guy. He himself was disturbed by the slaughter. Certainly a party of this size would have no need to kill a simple creature such as a wolf.

"I said, who did this." Guy repeated, pointing at one of the fallen wolves.

One of them stepped forward, a druid of some sort. "Hello friend, I am Brother Sequoia of the druids of Krell. I understand your plight, but we had no choice in the matter."

"You understand nothing, and you are not my friend druid. I suggest you and your friends leave this place." Guy responded.

"We have only defended ourselves."

"You shouldn't have come here. None of you should be here. Your business is with the mountain, not with the forest."

"You would have us climb to our deaths on those frigid cliffs?"

"I would prefer that to what you have done here." With those words Guy kneeled at the closest wolf and slowly pet it. Though none could see it, a tear fell down his cheek. He then looked at Sullust. "You may leave me as well."

"No, I think I shall stay. I wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for you. I'll not risk the same fate that befell me before." Sullust then fell silent looking around the forest.

OOC: Since the party is rather large, this is the point at which we can split it up. Some can stay behind with Guy and Sullust, the rest can continue on towards the mountain.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 14:08: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #121
Lisha spat, disgusted, and turned away from the newcomer kneeling by the dead wolf. All eyes watched as she bent over another corpse and withdrew her thrown dagger. Slowly, meaningfully, she wiped her blade clean on the beast's mangy fur. Straightening, conscious of the tension in the air, she made a show of finding the dagger's hilt and snapped it back into place.

Guy rose, trembling. His voice became a ragged, deadly hiss. "There is no cause for such-"

"There was a cause, you fool," she said in an equally soft, dangerous voice. "No druid as worthy of his staff as Sequoia would permit such a loss of life without desperate need. If you have lived in these parts so long without finding death at the ends of their demonic snouts," she continued, noting his garb, "you are either very lucky or... or you are on their side."

Confused and somewhat nervous, Sullust glanced at his companion. His face had become a mask, but the suggestion of what lay behind the mask forced him to step back.

"They are on no side, adventurer, but-"

"I am no adventurer," she spat. "You know nothing of my- of our goal." Remembering the nearby Aramite spy, she tempered her words. She had become too conspicuous. The King was a fool to hire a man who would so willingly betray his secret status - even her own uncharacteristic openness had revealed naught but her name - but others here, mainly Melora and the mountain man, merited caution.

"Your goal is no different," Guy retorted, "from that of all other wanderers, only more... successful. You want gold, maybe fame, maybe to prove your courage, and a trail of thoughtless death and destruction follows. But you will eventually come against an insurmountable obstacle, like all the others, and your own trail will catch up to you. I only hope it finds you sooner rather than later."

With that, he turned and left the clearing. Another minute in that scene of mindless waste and disregard, he knew, and in the presence of those murderers, would destroy his self-control. If only Sullust would remain behind with them...

He heard crashing in the underbrush and heaved a shuddering sigh. "Wait," Sullust called. "Don't leave. I won't give up, and only you can lead me to my destination." Seeing his mild flattery fail, Sullust continued to trail Guy. "You're right, death will follow them wherever they go. And I want none of what they seek; I only want to lift the darkness from the m-"

"You can't," Guy interrupted. "As you have just seen, the demon alone does not shadow this earth. Man is his unwitting ally, not his enemy. Man cannot leave well enough alone; he must assert control over nature, and will gladly kill for that end. You can't lift the darkness."

They fell silent.

Back in the clearing, Lisha shook her head and looked away from the others. "Fool," she muttered. "Good riddance. Would he have us bare our throats and our breasts to their teeth and claws? You are right, good brother; we had no choice. The normal methods of turning them aside did not work because they are not normal. Only death could stop them." So why has he survived?

"Let us leave this vile place," Sequoia suggested, placing a broad, comforting hand on the back of her cloak. "We now know to avoid Nature's children, whatever the reason." His face clouded, imperceptible in the lingering darkness. "I... I have other company now."

"The druid is right," Melora intoned. "We must leave or the scent of death will attract other predators. Come; we have little time."

Cyrus, who was missing only an arm and several toes by this point, rose from the ground apologetically. "I can follow, but I must soon continue-"

"We'll halt before long," Lisha said shortly. "I- we must rest before we are completely drained. Sequoia must regain his energy." And I must regain my prespicuity and fade into the shadows once more, she thought. I have come far too close to revealing myself. Fixing her hood as she had observed many Aramites do, she moved off into the thickening woods on a path conspicuously divergent from Guy's. The undead and the druid began to follow, careful to keep the elf before them.

Andros also began to follow, but stumbled over a fleshy object at his feet. He stepped over the wolf, then paused. He had made his presence known in order to prevent violence, not to contribute to it, yet he had already caused and aided in several deaths and was sure to at least witness many more. Looking down at his loaded bow, the scar still evident, up at the stiff, receding back of Lisha, then back at the broken branches and bent flowers of Sullust's path, Andros pondered...

EDIT: Typos.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 16:18: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #122
"Wait! My village is nearby. It will be a good place to rest. Follow me if you wish to rest there," Caecus suddenly said. He walked into the forest, followed by those in the group who wanted to find his village. He stopped in a small clearing that contained a large, runed stone surrounded by smaller stones. "Step inside the circle if you want to go to my village," Caecus said as he stepped into the circle. He examined the runes.

"Dar'ashii!" he said quietly(the password to get to his village). The runes started glowing as a dome appeared around the stone circle. The newly formed room started descending underground. Soon, the group arrived at their destination. The dome opened up as they walked out, and the platform started ascending once they all got off.

In front of them was a large village lit up by magical torches and patrolled by soldiers wearing mail, crested helmets with an open front, holding a tower shield in one hand and a scimitar in the other. Some of them had longbows with arrows that had serated arrowheads. Everyone looked normal except for their pale skin and silver-colored hair. One of the patrols walked up to the group.

"Welcome to Verwey!" one of the soldiers said.

OOC: Your character did not have to go along if you don't want him/her to go along.

[ Monday, August 08, 2005 17:58: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #123
OoC: I think I'll follow along.

IC:

Brother Sequoia was ill at ease again. Down here, far from the sunlight, his magic couldn't possibly work as well (though, truth be told, he had never been down this deep). That, and the town in front of him looked positively unnatural, reminding him of tales about Avernum.

Too much metal... he thought, noticing the heavily-armored guards approaching the group. Still, he accepted their greetings cordially, remembering not to mention the hair.

OoC: Didn't want to go into too much detail, this town would best be described by Zephyr. (And it'd be best to see who follows along)

--------------------

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #124
OOC: Decisions, decisions...

IC:
I suppose I could follow Sequoia et al, Andros pondered. Though I owe him for fixing my crossbow. But if I stay around that woman Lisha, I could end up dead.

Perhaps I should follow Caecus instead. Though Cyrus is likely to go with him and both believe I am lacking in their 'honour', I must prove to them the value of cover fire.

Slinging his now-retracted crossbow across his back, Andros ran to catch up to Caecus.

OOC: And this would be the point of ZT's post.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Pages