The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #225
OOC: Will post IC very soon. Sorry about the delay.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #226
IC:
There was a loud twang as Andros' bolt crashed into Maxim's katana, causing him to lose control of his sword for a moment - just enough time for Andros to reload. He fired -

And the blademaster, with difficulty, managed to deflect the shot, sacrificing his balance. Andros, seeing the brief window of oppurtunity, quickly reloaded and fired a third bolt, this time connecting even with the blademaster's quick reaction.

"Impossible!" Maxim exclaimed as he realized the bolt had ripped into his left arm, with the head protruding from the backside. "I... A red-on-blue can't lose!"

"Oh, it's very possible." Andros nodded, crossbow loaded, and fired again, only to miss as Maxim leapt back to avoid the blow, and escaped to safety with a second red-on-blue blademaster before the sniper could aim another shot.

"That man may be a Natural, but he is more talented than most men with the Mark," Andros finally conceded, wiping the sweat from this forehead. "He's likely to attack us again in the future."

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #227
OOC:
I was just wondering if its possible to kill a basilisk with a fire bolt?

[ Friday, September 02, 2005 03:31: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #228
If it's a powerful firebolt, then yes.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #229
OOC: Sorry if this is too long but the fight with the basilisk got me going…

Cain's eyes suddenly opened wide, "Close your eyes!" He shouted to the party as he threw one of his daggers to the black figure creeping out of the cave. The dagger flew quite a distance, to Cain's disappointment, he missed. The creature was too far away.

Tired of standing around, Cain thought. He immediately started walking towards the cave at a steady and ridiculously confident pace. Edith could hear him walk towards the cave.

"Cain, stop! You will turn to stone!" She shouted in hopes of reminding Cain of what they were dealing with. It proved futile as he was almost up there when Cain heard hissing, and stopped.

Cain closed his eyes again and realized the foolishness of his move. He was now away from the group over uneven ground, eyes closed and a ferocious reptilian creature around.

To hell with it. Cain opened his eyes. Rock. He needed to climb a bit more to see the cave opening on top. He did, the climb was brief and easy, what worried him was what could be waiting for him up there, he could hear the hissing of the creature and the creature could probably smell him. Just as his hands reached the top he abruptly stopped as he noticed what he was climbing on. It was a perfect human statue, someone in a climbing position looking towards the cave. Thanks for the warning. Cain, unlike the former human, closed his eyes as he finished the climb and reached the cave clearing, just as he did, the hissing suddenly turned into reptilian growl and the sound of a quadruped charging.

Damn. Cain noticed too late he had pocketed his weapons for the climb. The creature was a few feet away when Cain swept his right leg towards the creature in hopes of hitting it or holding its charge. It hit something and then something hit him, more like bit him. Cain screamed in pain as the basilisk's fangs pierced his right leg. In a natural involuntary reaction, Cain opened his eyes and looked at the source of the pain. Then it happened, Cain's eyes met with those of the basilisk.

For a moment, there was silence.

Both stared at each other, immobile. For that brief second there was nothing else but the eyes of the beast for Cain. It felt like an eternity as all the images of his life swirled around his head; a life of death, regrets, pain and suffering to him and others; and in the middle… the eye. The cold reptilian eye of the basilisk that grew bigger and bigger, pushing all other thoughts aside.

f***. That was all Cain could muster. A tingling sensation took over his body as he fell on his back in submission. The basilisk, out of instinct or intelligence, slowly released Cain's feet. The tingling sensation soon disappeared and was replaced by a numb sensation all over his body. Cain gave a long breath and stared at the sky above him. From the corner of his left eye, a tear fell and then…

…nothing.

Cain took a few seconds to react. His senses slowly coming back, he was too furious to be thankful for living, he took his saw-like dagger out, stood up and stared at the basilisk with defiance. The creature looked confused but only for a while, as Cain already charged the creature, his dagger piercing the basilisk's abdomen as it lifted its upper body to claw Cain. It succeeded, but the scratch did little to him. The dagger on the other hand, pierced the scale armour of the basilisk easily, tearing through its innards. Then the creature looked dead.

Cain removed the dagger and stabbed the creature again and again…and again. Not for biting him or scaring him or even almost killing him, but for the few seconds where it showed him his life, that eternal second where Cain saw what monster he was.

He slowly removed the dagger from the butchered beast and then realized where the tingling sensation had come from, his hand was still tingling, more importantly, his finger was tingling. He then noticed the ring he had removed from the dead necromancer back in the woods, it was glowing slightly. It all came together. The Necromancer and his army must have passed near the cave on a daily basis, or through the cave. The Necromancer used this ring to protect himself from petrification, Cain thought looking at the steamy cave before him.

Cain then stared at the beast and one last time and stabbed it, this time in its neck. He then used his saw-like dagger to behead it. Carefully he lifted the creatures face, spited on it and then placed it in one of his bags.

Still suffering from his leg injury, he walked slowly to the cliff border and motioned the party to climb; he then sat down and attended his woundns. He would need to be healed; soon they would enter the Mountain of Shadows.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 15:03: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #230
Lisha straightened, sheathing her long slashing knife and reaching for a smaller, more aerodynamic blade. She turned to the elf, a forced scowl on her face; she could not her gratefulness at being saved a fight. These bladesmen were dangerous. Only the element of surprise had allowed her initial success. Without Melora's help, she knew, she might have experienced a lethal defeat.

She caught the elf's eyes and froze. The moonlight glinted off the peaks of the ivory fangs; it revealed nothing else of her face but the eyes. Such deep, dark eyes Lisha had never seen before, although, beginning to shake, she remembered a similar gaze in the eyes of the mages who dealt with demons.

"A debt repaid, yes?"

Lisha shuddered, her eyes locked in horrified facination. "Yes." Slowly, carefully, she found the hilt of the knife she had reached for and took it from the sash. The elf's eyes flashed, then disappeared. Lisha watched the elf scan the trees, her mind reeling. The dark skin had never before bothered her; after all, she'd heard rumors of truly dark elves, though she'd dismissed them as myths. But such speed was not natural, not when accompanied by such a gaze. Where had this elf come from, and why was she here? What interest had she in a group of humans and undead? Elves were independent creatures, not bound by arbitraty loyalties. Surely, she thought as the elf turned back to her, surely there is something more.

Melora smiled again as a dark cloud passed over her face. "Overconfident as always. We are ah-" She grasped her side in pain. "We are alone."

Lisha, noticing the wounds for the first time, wished the sun would rise to receive her thanks for preserving the elf. For one horrible instant, she thought herself alone with two blademasters, without a - well, without her ally. Suddenly feeling the sting of her own gash, a wave of desperation fell over her. Without clerical magic, the strange dark elf could pass from the world, taking her mystery with her. It is not time, thought Lisha. not yet. Glancing at Melora once more, the two turned as one and slipped silently and lethally into the remaining melee.

Several minutes later the bladesmen, as if responding to some unheard signal, melted into the woods as one, leaving their dead and wounded where they lay. Lisha's hoarse yell and Melora's sylvan voice rose with those of the Verweyans in a weary cheer. The cursed warriors immediately set themselves to the task of aiding the wounded and gathering their all-too-numerous dead. Two soldiers collected Caecus' armor and bundled it up in a ragged cloak, obviously hoping to restore the spirit to its abode before long. By unspoken agreement, Lisha and Melora set about collecting all fallen weapons; it would not do to allow a fallen bladesman one last kill before his breath finally escaped his body. Indeed, they found several still alive. Lisha, feeling strangely comforted by the return of the elf's habitual predatory grin, reminded her of the usefulness of prisoners. Seemingly dejected, Melora bound the living bladesmen as best as possible.

When every soldier had lifted as much as he could and every Verweyan had been accounted for, the slow trek back to the portal began. Soon they were at it; listening carefully, Lisha heard and memorized the password as the leading Verweyan muttered it. Within seconds, they had returned to their subterranian village.

"Sequoia!"

The monk turned, startled, from the Verweyan leader to the sound of Lisha's voice. A semi-smile gave way to a worried frown as he caught sight of Melora. She stood gazing in thinly veiled wonder at the creation of her cursed cousins, clutching her side with her good arm and letting the other hang loose. The druid laid his broad hands on her shoulder and closed his eyes, concentrated, then shook his head.

"Can you heal it?"

He sighed. "I am weak. I, too, have been fighting." Ignoring Lisha's questioning glance, he went on. "I can heal her, but I'll have to stay with her for a bit. But what of your wounds?" he asked, noticing a sudden grimace of pain.

"I... I've dealt with worse."

"Go to the Verweyans. They can help you more than I can."

"Those soldiers will die without their aid. I can survive. Oh, hello, archer."

Andros looked at her resentfully, noting the tone in her voice, then turned back to Brother Sequoia. "Now that they have returned, we can leave this place. It is no longer safe here." Turning to the undead, he continued, "They can come too, if they want."

Lisha snorted. "Who are you to decide who can or can't leave Verwey? You are responsible for their losses. You are responsible for Mel- for the elf's wounds. What right have you to accompany us on our quest?"

The druid looked up a turned to Lisha. "Andros will go with us, if he wishes."

"Very well," Lisha replied. surprised. "He won't survive long, anyway."

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #231
Tuulentekija inspected Cain while he was staggering back at them.

"Well done." He said and padded Cain to the back. He didn't seem to apreciate that very much.

"I have to inspect your wounds" Edith said. "I've heard that some basilisks have poisonous fangs. If this is the case, I have to know the type of the venom immediatly, so I can make the right cure. So stay still."

Tuulentekija walked around while Edith nursed Cain's wounds. Weird dreams.The worgs. The wolves dead. Symbols in a fish. Warning in the snow. And now, Cain surviving the gaze of that creature... Tuulentekija thought and shook his head. It's too much to be a coincindence. There's something wrong here, but I just can't tell what it is. If there's a demon on top of this mountain, then why hasn't it killed us yet. It sure had many oppurtunities...

Tuulentekija remained quiet for a long time. He heard Filbert and Cain talk about something, but didn't pay attention to it. Then, finally he opened his mouth and spoke.

"You said the demon is trying to test us" he said. "I think you're wrong. I think it is trying to help us."

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #232
"And that's how I managed to kill the beast" Cain said, when Tuulentekija suddenly said:""You said the demon is trying to test us" he said. "I think you're wrong. I think it is trying to help us."

For a moment, the party just stood there, stunned by the words.

"How...how do you mean... Help us?" Filbert asked.

"Think! the wolves where to try to make us scared, so we wouldn't continue and save our own lives doing that! the fish with the symbols! An other warning. No. i think there's something so evil in that mountain, that even the demon is uncomfortable about it. i won't say scared, just, you know."

Silence. Everybody thought. The demon, something already so evil. how can it be scared or feel uncomfortable? unless...

"Um, guys?" Filbert said. "How powerful is that demon?"

"i don't know, probably like all demons..." Edith replied.

"What is so powerful that a normal demon is scared of it?" Filbert said. "You mean to say that... Oh no." Cain answered.

"Yes", Filbert continued,"It must be a haakai. maybe even a haakai lord. What else can it be? I wonder though, if these fishy symbols were some kind of a warning by the demon, why did these uruk... um... uruk..."

"Uruk-hai" edith said.

"yes. Why did the uruk-hai make the symbols? You did, Edith, say the symbols were made by Uruk-hai claws."

"Yes, that's curious indeed."

A silence fell. Everybody remaind quiet, untill a big black creature, slowly came closer...

"Uruk-hai...?" Filbert asked.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 08:03: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #233
IC:

It was a bear.

After all the horrific things roaming around these parts, to see a natural and generally peaceful animal around was quite a relief.

Cain suddenly broke into uncontrollable laughter, the others looked at him surprised, Tuulentekija wondered if Edith had given him some strange painkiller that affected his usually calm demeanor.

"What's so funny?" Filbert asked.

"All of you..." He said, barely containing his laughter. "Uruk-hai, haakai..." He continued laughing. "What makes you think there is a friendly demon in there." He slowly calmed himself. "You are all too naive, there is no such thing as a good demon, that's why they are demons in the first place! The only good demon is a dead one!" Cain spat.

"But what about the basilisk, how did you survived its glare?" Tuulentekija inquired.

Cain simply pointed the middle finger at him and laughed even harder. The ring still glowed slightly.

"I saw you take that ring! Back in the wood where we discovered all those dead... undead." Edith said, already finishing the healing of Cain's right leg.

Cain calmed down once again and spoke to Tuulentekija. "There is no one helping us, this ring saved me, that's all there is to it. Apparently that group of undead and its leader used this cave to go in and out of the mountain. This ring protected the human Necromancer from petrifaction, now it protects me." Cain slowly moved his right feet and nodded at Edith approvingly. He then jumped to his feet.

"Now we know how to enter the mountain, think of this ring as our little key." Cain smiled as he gave a couple of jumps testing his feet.

"You mean...we are going inside?" Filbert asked somewhat terrified.

"I will lead the way. If we stumble upon more basilisks, I'll deal with them." Cain picked up his bag.

Edith saw him pick the blood stained bag. "Is that…?" Cain interrupted her. "Yes, the basilisk’s head. I might need it."

"Isn't that dangerous to…" Cain interrupted Edith again as he turned to the steamy cave. "Yes, it is dangerous to carry around, but not for me." Cain now pointed his middle finger to Edith, both to show her the item that protected him and of course, for her to decipher the other meaning of a middle finger.

Laughing, Cain steadily walked into the cave's mouth.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #234
OOC:
Actually, that's not exactly what I meant with the creature, but I realise that's totally my fault. i should have said that it had wings. We'll just continue this way, but maybe we can make a friendly demon and so on later on?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #235
OoC: Sorry, Zephyr, I'm moving on, and Caecus appears to need some recovery time.

IC:

Hours passed before Brother Sequoia had regained the strength to heal Lisha and the elf. By that time, the Verweyans had all returned to their town (and cleaned up the dead bladesmen), and most of the group had retreated to Caecus's home. Caecus himself had not made his presence known, and was probably a bit embarassed over losing his body.

Brother Sequoia, having healed the others, took to wandering around Verwey. Alright, something is definitely amiss here, and yet this isn't quite my fight. My business is with whatever upset the balance of nature here.

He could see a few soldiers standing watch around the town, each bearing wounds from the battle. This is tragic. They have endured so much already...

Without realizing it, the druid had wandered right up to the portal leading out of Verwey. Hmm... no password, so I can't return. I think I can deal with that.

And with that, he stepped into the portal.

------

Stumbling into the sunlight (the druid reckoned sometime around noon), Brother Sequoia turned to see that he had already lost the entrance cave. Oh well. I had no plans to return anyway. I know the others will fare well enough.

Staring up the giant mountain, the druid could see buzzards hovering around the peak. At least, they looked like buzzards to him.

Giving the woods around him one last look, Brother Sequoia silently started up the mountain, wandering through the rapidly thinning forest. Whatever has caused these disruptions shall pay dearly...

OoC: Catch up if you're so inclined. I'll continue otherwise.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #236
Caecus sat in a chair, waiting for his last arm to be returned. He perceived several faces staring back at him. Everyone had fallen under the curse again.

The Moon-Solace was over.

Then, the head Verwey blacksmith returned with Caecus' arm. He attached it to Caecus, and Caecus was suddenly reinvigorated. He grabbed his nearby swords and put on his cape. "Farewell Verwey. I shall see all of you again soon, with any luck," he said as he got up to leave.

"Good bye, Caecus!" many villagers responded. Caecus walked out of his house, taking a long "glance" at the water/food dish labled "Milkshake" before walking out of the door and moving to follow Brother Sequoia.

I will destroy you, Blackrune. For all of the bad things you have done. Your treachery, your murder, and your trickery! I will get you and Orloki! And then I can finally rest... he thought as he sprinted to catch up with Brother Sequoia.

OOC: Does anyone else want to come along?

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 22:54: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #237
Tuulentekija was still deep in his thoughts when they entered the cave. There's still something wrong here , he muttered. Even if Cain surviving the beast's gaze was a coincidence, the warning was not. Now what did the beast say in my dream... 'We have waited your arrival'... It could have been only a dream if not for that warning. It was in my own tongue, and my people live hundreds of miles away! Something... no, someone knew that I was coming.

There was no natural light in the cave. Edith was holding some kind of a glowing flower in her hand, giving them the little light they had. Cain was walking first, Edith was the second, Filbert the third, and Tuulentekija was the fourth and the last. Only their own footsteps echoed in the cave. The air was extremely hot and hard to breath.

It's as hot as in a sauna here Tuulentekija pondered. I wonder why. Cain said that it could be a hot spring or something, but why haven't we walked past it ...?

Suddenly, Tuulentekija heard the sound of flowing water. Never mind , he thought and sighed heavily.

"Like I said. A hot spring." Cain said with a victorious tone in his voice. The voice became increasingly louder as they walked ahead, and soon they came to big opening. There was a small, steaming and bubbling fountain in the middle. There were several anvils, hammers and other smithing equipment scattered around the room.

"Wait a second" Cain said and searched his pockets for something. "I know this place!" He pulled a yellowed parchment out of his pocket and started reading.

"More light, please!" he shouted to Edith, who created another flower of light near Cain. Tuulentekija didn't pay much attention to them. he dropped his backpack to the floor and pulled out a small lantern. He lit the lantern and started searching the cave on his own.

A nice smithy they have here he thought. This must be king Albert's doing. I can imagine no-one else who would build a forge inside a mountain.

Suddenly, Tuulentekija saw something intresting in the corner of the room. Now what is that? he wondered nd went to look closer.

It was a small, broken stone pedestal with a black pearl and some rust on it. The pearl had a white rune carved on it.

I 've seen similar pearls in Icy Fortress. Tuulentekija thought. Wonder what it is doing here. Then he took the pearl and pocketed it.

it can't hurt to have some valuables when I continue my journey. Now, let's see what others are doing.

Cain was still reading the parchments in the light of the magic flower. Edith was inspecting the cave, and sometimes peeked over Cain's shoulder. Filbert was staring in awe some hugeswords hanging on the walls.

"Edith, I have a question", Tuulentekija said.

"Yes?" Edith said and peeked over Cain's shoulder once again.

"Has anybody ever seen the demon?"

Edith seized. "At least nobody has returned to tell about it", she finally answered with a haunted impression on her face.

"To me, demons are creatures of legend. I have never encountered any, and I don't believe in them" Tuulentekija replied. "But I've known creatures, both men and animal, who have lived for very long times. I myself am 87 years old now, but that's not even a hundreth of my predecessors life. So how do you know the beast on top of this mountain is really a demon? What if it's another thing like me or my predecessor?"

Edith's jaw dropped. "I...I-" she tried to reply, but was interrupted by Cain.

"Shut up, I'm trying to read", he said. He had not listened a word, or so it seemed.

"Just wondering" Tuulentekija said and went back to his backpack.

EDIT: A weird mistake. Don't ask :rolleyes:

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 23:15: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #238
IC:

Cain was indeed, not listening to them, he was too busy reading the diary. He found the text referring to this place.

Week 16, Day 3.

"Miracle! Finally some treasure. Or something like it. Freddy stumbled with some sort of workshop for the dark things that dwell here. Maybe one of Orloki's workshops. The Priest says the place is charged with negative energy our Mage however, like the rest of us, is interested in the artefact that dominates the centre of the chamber, protected by some runes there is some sort of oval crystal case. Something seems to move inside, like a flame. It is really beautiful. Our Mage thinks it may be a powerful enchanting item of some sort, but he can’t be sure unless we remove the protective runes and let him inspect It. Captain Voldengart says we will stay here until we can inspect the item closer, maybe we will take a treasure with us after all.

Cain gave a brief look at the forge around him, the artefact was not there but there was a space in the centre of the forge where there it should have been. He cursed in his mind, the artefact was gone.

Week 16, Day 4.

Ambush! We were about to break the runes when we where surrounded, they came out of nowhere and surrounded us, Freddy and the Priest are dead. They also took the artefact from us, the Mage is insane he followed them alone up the narrow staircase, he said the artefact was too valuable to let go. Voldengart and the rest of us decided we would not go after him, we lost most of our men up this cursed mountain. The necromancy chamber, the dungeons, that hideous temple, no, no, we would not go after him. We’ve had enough. We seem close to a hidden exit though. I can feel the fresh air coming from the tunnel. We are ready to move again.

Strange, there are incredibly well carved statues all over the tunnel wall…

Week 16, Day 4.

Horror! I cannot look back! They are all stone, all stone!! No treasures, only death in that mountain. I will go back to the village and never return, NEVER!

Cain grunted.

"Found anything interesting?" Edith asked.

"No." Cain replied. "We must keep moving." He added and threw the parchment of the diary into one of the small foundries there.

"Where to?" Filbert inquired.

Cain walked to the north of the chamber holding the magic flower and revealed a narrow stairway leading up the mountain's entrails. It was even darker than the cave they had passed and it smelled to rot.

"Where does that takes us?" Tuulentekija asked.

"A necromancy chamber of some sort." Cain replied. He then took a piece of cloth form his bag and tied it on the back of his head so it would cover his mouth and nose.

"How do you know that's the way to Orloki?" Edith asked.

"I don't," he replied. "But it goes up, doesn't it?" He added and subsequently disappeared up the staircase.

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 00:36: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #239
Oh great. Probably an other wild goos chase that will probably only bring us mor trouble Filbert thought. They started to walk in the direction of the stairs. The swords, still hanging on the wall, looked as if they where hanging lower. Filbert looked at it. I have the feeling something changed with that sword. oh well. Its probably nothing. he turned around and walked to the stairs. suddenly, they all where alerted by a bang: The sword had fallen of the wall! Tuulentekija slowly walked over to the sword, and touched it with a stick. When it didn't move and he was sure the sword wasn't alive or something, he tuned it round. Nothing unussual. filbert went and stood beside him. But... That can't be! "Guys!" He muttered, "Guys... the wall..."

"What's wrong with the wall?" cain asked, slightly irritated by the sudden panic about some stupid sword.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here." edith said, and walked to the wall, inspecting a particular brick. On it was carved:

---
-
---

"Its the symbol. the fishy symbol" Tuulentekijs replied. "And how do you think about my "demon helping ud theorie" now?" He asked Cain.

"Its all nonsence." he continued his clime upstairs. the others followed him, not happy, slightly anxious, but they still followed him.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #240
OOC:

Character Overview

I thought it would be time for another one of those. It's too confusing otherwise.

In no particular order:

Scaling the Mountain
Filbert (Thralni)Edith (Sherlock)Cain (Nazgul)Tuulentekija (Frozen Feet)In Verwey
Melora (Aran)Lisha (David)Andros (Wise)Cyrus (Arachnid)Sequoia (Ephesos) - Left village!Caecus (Zephyr) - Left village!Somewhere in the forest:
Sullust (Sullust)Guy (FZ)Brail (Spring)

[ Monday, September 05, 2005 21:14: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #241
OOC: I said Caecus followed Sequoia in my last post.
I just wanted to remind you of that.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #242
Corrected. IC follows in 18 hours.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #243
OoC: Cyrus is in Verwey as well, waiting for someone to pick up his character (since Arachnid left).

Maybe some IC later.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #244
OOC: 12 hours.

Sequoia strode toward the portal and left Verwey. He probably didn't possess the password; if they were going to meet with him again, it would be they who would have to pass through and leave Verwey behind.

Lisha appeared to have that intention, for she eyed the portal critically and made a move as if to get up, as did Cyrus.

"There is another way." Melora spoke for the first time since her brief remark to Lisha after slaying the blademaster. The druid was good, she had to admit - she had been injured critically, possibly mortally, and now nothing remained of the wound in her back save a small scar that she barely noticed when running over the skin with her finger. It had been long since she felt so rested - they had slept almost till noon after last night's battle, and whatever else could be said about the cursed Verweyans, their hospitality was great.

"What do you mean?" Lisha responded to Melora's remark.

"This cave has an exit to the halls beneath the mountain. It would be easier to travel beneath the ground than to leave here and search the surface for another entrance."

"How do you know?", Andros demanded suspiciously.

"First, because I can sense it. I was not speaking idly when I said you would need someone with knowledge of the caves. Second, because we are not that far from it." Melora pointed towards a closed steel door set in the wall of the cavern, possibly a hundred paces away. Steel was uncommon - the Verweyans built with a translucent material created magically. It did not resist damage well; if the Verweyans had set in this door, they had installed it as a safety barrier against whatever lay on the other side.

"Caecus." Melora turned around to face him, but he was gone. He must have followed the druid while she had not been looking. "Doesn't matter." She went off in search of another villager who did not seem too superstitious to answer her questions.

---

When she returned a while later, it was with a triumphant smile. "I was right. The Verweyans dug a tunnel, and excavated a cave connected to the mountain's system. They were attacked and had to abandon parts of their own caves. The entrance was sealed to prevent their enemies from attacking them again. It's sealed with a locking spell, but I believe I have the correct password."

Andros was incredulous.

"And you want us to enter that infested den?"

"We're going to have to sooner or later, and whether we enter by this route or first risk our lives climbing the mountain makes little difference. But if you are afraid..."

Melora trailed off suggestively, smirking.

OOC: A potential idea. Unless we want to stick with Sequoia and Caecus, of course.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 05:21: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6239
Profile #245
OOC am back. had been out of town.
IC After the battel Norran had spent some time to recuperate in his home. But now it was time to leave and join the adventurers.
Just as he left his hut he saw somethin that totally astounfef him. And then the creature walked towards him... it was a dark elf! She walked up to the mage,"Hail human. I have a question for a resident of this land." The mage now realised that he had in fact seen seen her before, in the battel the day before!!"Yes in fact you have come to the correct person... not being one of the moon elves i have tried my best to understand the differences between them and me.
Melora was delighted," Well I want to know about that metal door.""That door is very old an has an evil past. It leads to one of the back tunnels, which in turn leads to move caverns and finally to the mountain itself!"
"Excellent" thought the elf "so that is where i could go if i wanted to find an altenate route into the mountain...?" The mage noded with credulance," That being your destination?" "Yes"
"Then you will need a guide..."

--------------------
if you cant dazzel them with your brilliance, baffel them with your bull****!!!!!

remember me????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #246
OOC: If Norran is Verweyan, he's not human. Admittedly, I made up that part about elven origin, but Zephyr went along with it.
Apparently, your post happened while Melora was absent from the party; this post is after she returned (ie. following mine directly).

IC:

A Verweyan approached the party, from the direction Melora had just returned from. While he was still out of earshot, Melora bit her lip and whispered.

"By the way, that fellow over there insists on going with us as a guide." As she pronounced the last word, she could not help remembering what had happened to the last person to make that offer, and judging from Lisha's expression she was reminded as well.

Won't work here, Melora reflected wistfully. For one, the Verweyans would probably not appreciate having one of their number assaulted. It was probably best to play along, even if following a guide through a cavern felt to her like taking beginner lessons in archery.

As the mage - who had introduced himself as Norran to Melora - drew near, he introduced himself to the other three, and repeated what Melora had just whispered.

The offer was quickly accepted, although Lisha barely suppressed a scowl. Despite what Melora had said, she had no idea about what opened the steel door, much less the likely convoluted passage between Verwey and the mountain. Her senses would have taken care of that, but it would have taken time they did not have. It was less with exasperation than distrust that she suffered this new member of their party of five.

OOC: Didn't feel like writing overly much dialogue. Whatever Melora responded to Norran before returning to her party, it was probably along the lines "I'll need to ask the others". As for Norran, he needed a few minutes to prepare himself for the journey, which is why he didn't follow Melora directly.

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #247
"Afraid, elf?" Andros laughed as he retracted his crossbow. "I'd sooner bend over for the devil than be afraid."

And the red-on-blue's will kill her while trying to kill me, he said to himself. Then, slinging his bow across his back, he replied, "I'll come with you. I can't stand that walking suit of armour anyway."

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 05:59: Message edited by: Wise Man ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #248
OOC: I was just wondering what happened to Sherlock? Did he leave the rp or something?

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #249
OOC: I'm still around. I just have writer's block at the moment. I'm just trying to come up with something interesting. The basilisk part took off much better than I thought it would.

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board

Pages