The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #525
OoC: I'd prefer FF to post, because otherwise Sequoia's going to spend an awfully short time unconscious... but I can start working on something nonetheless. In fact, it'd also help if Nazgul posted, because I was under the impression that Cain was coming towards our half of the party (until Thralni diverted him).

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Order of Krell Summary (Avernum RP)
Save the Mountain of Shadows RP!

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #526
OOC: I wouldn't mind if Sequoia woke up again soon. You've spent enough of the time unconscious for three roleplays... ;)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesThe StatsPolarisIRCRSS [Topic / Forum (redirect)]
The awful doom of Yaddith we evade
Will soon be snuffling at our heels again
The snouted worms can track us through our dreams.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #527
OOC: Thralni, you definitely ignored some important points - Sherlock's waking of Edith was one, and Cain's absence was another. I'll fix all that in this post, but please, everyone, make sure you don't get caught up in your own plans and forget that others have their own.

IC:

"Filbert."

He turned his head fearfully toward Lisha. She held out her hand. Filbert looked up at her, then down at the flask, at Edith, then back at Lisha.

"What?"

"Give it to me."

Terrified, he handed it over. She immediately put it in a medicinal pouch and shut it tightly.

"What are you-"

"Up!"

Filbert raised himself to his feet slowly, trembling; whether from anger or fear, Lisha decided, was irrelevant. She moved in closer, her face near his.

"What makes you think for an instant that I'd trust a person who has proven himself a completely willing slave of the demon in the past is beyond me, and that puts it in meager company. In fact only your audacity at appearing once again in my presence has kept my knife out of your heart, and believe me, the shock is wearing off. Do you really think yourself free from Orloki?" She snorted. "Great fools make great tools. Stand over there while I tend to Edith. Not a drop of your potion will pass her lips until I know exactly what it is."

"It's a-"

"I don't. care. what you have to say. Stay over there, and in my sight. Don't think I can't bring you back if I have to." She watched him go off, still trembling and almost definitely in rage, then knelt cautiously at Edith's side.

"Edith."

The older woman looked up at her. "Why... what was he..."

"Never mind. Cain brought you back?"

"Ye- yes..."

Lisha placed a hand on her arm. "You are cold."

"Yes."

"Look at me."

Edith turned her head toward Lisha and opened her eyes. They were dull, but the spark was back in them.

"Right. Good. You must tell me what happened-"

"There were-"

"-but not now. Let us follow Cain. He is-"

Is she truly back? Lisha thought. She is no less weak than before.

"...he went that way. After the others. Are you strong enough to stand?"

"Ye- I think so..."

She tried to push herself up but quickly fell back down, exhausted by the effort.

"Just a second-"

She tried again. Lisha placed a hand on her shoulder and helped her straighten up, which she did, successfully. She gave Lisha a weak smile.

I don't need her.

Lisha sheathed her knife to have both hands free.

I could kill them both and be done with it.

A wild yell reached them from down the corridor, echoing strangely. All three heads turned toward its origin.

I could say Orloki repossessed Filbert and killed Edith, and I killed Filbert in return. None of them would check until later, and by then it won't matter.

Lisha looked down at Edith.

Cain risked his soul for hers...

A little tremor sent Filbert stumbling and threw Lisha into Edith. Edith managed to stay off the cave floor.

"Filbert. Come over here slowly."

He obeyed her to the extreme.

"Faster. I said I wouldn't kill you."

He crept over to the other side of Edith.

"Good. Now help her up. Don't worry," she said, silencing Edith's protestations. "I see every motion he makes."

Watching Lisha from under hooded brows, Filbert knelt down and placed Edith's arm over his shoulder. He lifted her slowly, carefully, making sure not to give her cause to cry out.

"Let's go. Filbert, walk with her in front of me." She unsheathed the knife. "I will watch your every step." The distant sound of rumbling stone reached their ears. "And move as fast as Edith can. Orloki is close."

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 01:49: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #528
OOC: Frozen Feet, I'd contact you to ask about messing with your character, but I don't know how. That plus the week-long absence gives me an excuse.

IC:

"Tuulentekija!" Melora called a third time, but her voice hung in the great hall with nothing but an echo in response. He did not fall. It was not a prayer. I would have felt his passage. She knew little about Necromancy, but the most basic senses were inherent to her kind.

He might be mortally wounded, however, or even incapacitated.

She looked down at the druid. Given no alternative, she might be able to heal him, greatly draining her own strength in the process, but she would have preferred to wait for Edith or someone else with medical knowledge. Meanwhile, I should look for that warrior...

A groan became audible, and Melora spun around at the sound, daggers ready to throw. A pile of wolves behind her stirred slightly, and an armored hand emerged from beneath the savaged corpses. The weavers be thanked. He's alive. Within moments, Tuulentekija had dug himself out from under the carcasses and stood up, visibly the worse for wear, but not seriously injured in any place.

This surprised Melora. The northern warrior was obviously tough as burnished steel, but one did not go through the kind of battle they had just fought - waves upon waves of unrelenting foes - without getting a scratch, and yet Tuulentekija seemed to be unharmed. It was only then, as he approached, that she felt the wave of magic emanate from him, enveloping her like a cloud of a vast, incomprehensible scent. She did not recognize the energies, but she felt they were ancient beyond her imagination. That reminded her...

"Tuulentekija! That book you found..."

"I, too, am very pleased to see you alive and well, thank you ever so much," the warrior retorted. Melora waved it off.

"Unlike the druid, who needs immediate aid if he is to survive. The book?" she held out her hand expectantly.

"I don't have it."

"Where did you put it?"

--

His first impulse was to tell her - the shelf was right beside them, covered in soot, the single undamaged book standing out against the rest, ready for the taking.

There was something in her eyes... a strange hunger.

Is she possessed again, or is it the lure of knowledge... or both? His distrust must have shown on his face, because she scowled impatiently.

"That is right, I am a demon-infested dark sorceress and I intend to work vast schemes of incalculable evil with it - right after I heal the druid back there. Now give me the book, before it is too late."

A dozen objections came to his mind, but eventually he pointed to the shelf with the lone leatherbound volume. "I left it over there."

In a blink, Melora had reached the shelf and pulled the tome out. The longer it stays in the vicinity of the fire's residue, the more likely it is to be drained. But as she opened the book carefully, feeling a wave of the alien magic wash over her face like the warmth of the sun felt with closed eyes, she realized that no rupture in the world would drain this book. The energy patterns seemed to be woven into the fabric of the pages itself, rendering it more an artifact than a simple written text. She scanned the first page.

The symbols themselves were incomprehensible to her, naturally. After these millions of years, it would have been pure luck to find a single language that even shared common roots with this ancient writing. She had known what to expect, and had hoped mostly to instead analyze the patterns themselves, gaining an understanding of the magic without reading the words the ancient race had used to describe it. She was entirely unprepared for what happened next.

It was alive, and greater than her. Instead of analyzing the structure, she felt herself analyzed by it. She was holding the book, but in another sense the book was holding her, scrutinizing her soul. For a terrible moment, she anticipated the judgement of the book, but it was over in an instant. If it was a test, she seemed to have passed it, for the vast examining presence faded. Instead, she was swept up as if by a great wave, transported to a higher plane where words and meanings revealed themselves to her.

She did not know how long she stood there - it could not be more than a few moments, because Tuulentekija would have commented if she had remained motionless longer - but it seemed as if an eternity had passed before the book released her from its vast consciousness, leaving her standing shaken beside the shelf.

If the other surviving books are a tenth as powerful as this, then the treasure is many times greater even after the fire than I had expected.

Holding the book, she walked back to Sequoia and Tuulentekija, when steps sounded from the entrance and the corridor beyond, announcing a group of people.

OOC: Stopped here because more would be plot hijacking. It seems like I already juiced up the book way too much...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesThe StatsPolarisIRCRSS [Topic / Forum (redirect)]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #529
OoC: No offense taken, Aran. Actually, I should thank you for keeping this RP moving; I myself don't seem to be too good at that. I'll try to be a more frequent poster in the future.

And yes, I am implying that Melora spent a lot more than a little while being analyzed by the book.

IC:
After giving the book to Melora, Tuulentekija's exhaustion finally caught up on him. He dropped down to the floor beside the druid and closed his eyes. Gah. I'm useles if I don't soon get some food and rest. It feels like somebody's been bashing my brains with a tree trunk. I'd do anything to get rid of this headache if I wasn't so god damn tired.
Tuulentekija opened his eyes for a while and glanced at unconscious Sequoia. I should do something to him. His wounds will get infected in no time if not cleaned immediatly. He tried to get up, but his limbs refused to obey him anymore. He tried to say something to Melora, but she was completely obsessed with the book and didn't notice him at all. Great. This is just great , Tuulentekija cursed in his mind just a second before falling asleep.

---

Tuulentekija had no idea how long he had slept, or how long he had been awake for that matter, when he finally realized something was wrong. "Melora!" he shouted and jumped at his feet with renewed strenght. For some questionable relief, the elf was still there, still reading the same page of the ancient tome. Hmmm. It seems I dozed of for only a brief while, he thought and glanced at Sequoia. "Have you found anything to help our friend here? 'Cause if not, I'm going to give him first aid right now" he said, but Melora didn't seem to notice at all. "Hmmph. Elves" Tuulentekija muttered and turned to the unconscious druid. Just then he heard footsteps....

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 08:22: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #530
OOC: The loss of a sense of time works out perfectly - she cannot know how long she was held by the book. However, by the time the others are heard, she is already conscious.

Unless, of course, she was still entranced when Tuulentekija first heard the footsteps, and didn't notice them until she woke up.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #531
OOC: Or Tuulentekija noticed the footsteps before he noticed that Melora was back. Or something like that. It shouldn't really be a problem.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #532
OOC: No one explained where the wolves went, so I had to take the initiative on that. Hope I didn't ruin anyone's plans.

IC: Oh the pain she was in. As Edith thought about her return to her body, she realized that her apparent scream earlier from trying to get up had only been in her own mind. She hadn’t vocalized it at all. A silent scream… She wondered if anyone had even noticed it. But then again, she had bigger things to worry about. Like the return of Filbert. I know he had been possessed by Orloki and had apparently broken free from his grasp, but I still don’t trust him. If he dares to do anything, I still have my dagger to protect me. Looking around briefly, Edith could see Lisha was carrying her surviving knapsack, but her spell book was nowhere to be seen. Then she noticed something else. Putting a hand up to her face instinctively to check for wounds, she was stunned to find that her mask was gone. In a sudden pang of panic, she tore away from Lisha and Filbert’s arms to look for it. Then, all at once, there was a stab of pain in her spine and her legs gave out. When her face met the cave floor, she could hardly feel the cold at all. Her body still hadn’t returned to its normal temperature yet.

Edith had moved so fast and so unexpectedly that by the time they recovered from their shock, she was already lying on the ground again. Lisha immediately accosts Filbert. “What on earth happened? What did you do to her, Filbert!?” Filbert blinks, looks down at her, and then back up at Lisha. “What? I didn’t do a damn thing! I assumed you did something.” Edith stirs and starts crawling along the ground, moving her hands around in wild search. “My mask… WHERE IS MY MASK!!!? And my spell book… I NEED THEM!!!” It soon becomes perfectly clear to the both of them that she had wrenched away from them of her own accord. They try to stop her but she waves them away. “Help me find my spell book and mask… I am HELPLESS without them. I MUST have them back.” Then her hand hits something metallic and she recognizes that it’s her mask. As she reaches for it, something runs into her from behind and knocks her flat on her face again.

A yelp in the wake of the impact makes it clear to her that it’s an animal of some sort. Rolling over to her back, she can see a wolf at her feet, dazed and stunned by the shock. Another wolf runs past her, completely ignoring her. Soon a flurry of footsteps is heard heading for them from the end of the passage where their others had gone.

--------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, further up the passage, Cain takes notice of some of the wolves as they run by him. He reaches out suddenly, grabs one of the wolves by the throat, and picks it up. As he looks at it, it growls at him and makes an attempt to bite his face. In response, helaughs at it and snaps its neck. “This can't be a good sign. Wolves this far up into the interior of the mountain?” He sniffs the wolf and becomes aware of the familiar taint of a demon. Tossing the dead wolf aside, he creeps up to the entrance of the room at the end of the passage and peers around the corner.

--------------------------------------------------

Back in the other group, Lisha throws a knife at a wolf that appears to be heading right for her and it finds its home square in the heart of the beast’s chest, killing it instantly. As another wolf appears, she draws out a second knife. Then she notices that the wolf doesn’t appear to be in attack mode, but is instead fleeing. On a hunch, she steps to the side and it continues down the tunnel, ignoring her completely. Several other wolves flee in the same manner. The wolf at Edith’s feet on the other hand does not, but instead it attacks her out of anger for getting in its way. Drawing her dagger in a speed that doesn’t seem possible for her injuries, and which astonishes even Lisha, she plunges it into the wolf like butter. It gives a loud yelp of pain and soon collapses in a heap on her.

“ACK!!! Someone get this blasted wolf OFF OF ME!!!!” As they scramble to her aid, a sizzling sound is heard and smoke begins to slowly emanate from the creature’s back where the blade had come out. Lisha at once recognizes it for what it is. “An acid dagger. Where did you find that? Such a blade is hard to come by in these parts, if at all.” And a weapon I wouldn’t mind having should I want it for myself. Filbert questions it. “An acid blade? What’s that?” Edith pulls it out of the wolf as they lift it off of her and cleans it on her robes. “An acid dagger, my foolish naïve friend, is a blade that has a constant coat of acid on it. A magical weapon that is difficult to make and even more difficult to find. My father left it to me when he died after stumbling back from the Expedition. Or should I say, he BROUGHT it back with him.” Lisha’s ears perk up. “Brought it back from an expedition? Expedition to where?” Edith gives a wry smile in her pain as she tries to recover from the attack.

“An expedition to this mountain to find out why people kept disappearing every time they went to test the old legend of King Albert’s Treasure. My father was the only person to make it back from the Expedition. But he died before he could talk. In his ravaged backpack was this blade. And then there was the other item.” Lisha tries not to look interested. “Other item?” Edith manages to sit up with Filbert’s help and motions for Lisha to give her her surviving knapsack. She relents and hands it over. Turning it over, Edith rips some stitches and opens a secret pocket. Reaching into the cavity, she finds what she is looking for and pulls out a piece of torn linen with symbols on it.

“This piece of old linen, possibly from a tapestry, was in his clenched hand when he died. As you can see, it is part of a much larger piece. I can’t make out any of the symbols except for one. Turning it to her, Lisha can easily see a symbol that looks somewhat familiar, yet it escapes her. As soon as Filbert sees it, however, he identifies it almost at once. “The sign that was on the doorway to the giant ramp and that was on the fish!!!” Edith smiles. “Exactly!! This must be important in some way. We just need to figure out how. But enough chatter, let's catch up with Cain and the rest of the group.” It's then that Edith catches a glimpse of her mask again and grabs it. She stuffs it in her knapsack with the scrap of linen and then notices that her spell book is already in it.

“Oh, well now I feel foolish. My spell book was in my knapsack the whole time.” She puts her knapsack on and Filbert and Lisha help her to her feet again. After a minute or two of walking up the tunnel, they come upon Cain standing along the wall at the entrance of the Library, peering around the corner.

OOC: Had to change my post to correct some discrepancies.

[ Friday, February 24, 2006 15:05: Message edited by: Sir Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #533
OOC: (For the record, I've got permission to use Cain more than I normally would in this particular post...)

IC: "Where did these wolves come from?"

Tuulentekija spun around. "Cain! We were attacked. Where are the others?"

"Filbert is back." A wolf corpse fell from his grasp and came to rest on the floor in a pile of matted fur with its slain companions. "I hope Lisha's killed him, but we won't know until she and Edith catch up with us. These beasts attacked me further down the tunnel. Why are they here?"

"Orloki sent some sort of scouting force. The de- uh, their leader had strict control over them. If we're attacked again-"

"What is she doing?"

Both looked at Melora. "Most of the books were destroyed," Tuulentekija replied, "but I hope this one will cure Brother Sequoia. Otherwise I may have to try myself."

"Melora."

She didn't stir.

"Melora!"

"Don't - why disturb her? She may be able to heal him."

"We must not let her become possessed! Melora!"

As Cain moved toward he to rouse her from her trance, she began to read. Her voice was her own, but sounded as if it were being used by another, one inexperienced with her vocal chords but one so old, so powerful, that it didn't matter. Her eyelids slid shut, softly, and she continued reading, not seeing the symbols on the page, not needing to.

"Melora!" Cain placed a hand on her shoulder and squeezed. "Hey!" She continued reading. Cain lifted his hand and brought it down on her back, hard. She hardly faltered.

"Cain, it's not Orloki."

"What?" Cain paused, looked at Tuulentekija.

"It's not Orloki speaking. Listen to her."

He did. He closed his own eyes and concentrated on the sound, keeping it at arm's length but observing it closely. His own demonic side made no sign of recognition.

"No. You're right. It's not Orloki."

"It's the book."

Cain peered over her shoulder. "What is this book? What are these symbols?"

"It contains a power older than Orloki."

"You know this?"

Tuulentekija dipped his head. "No, but from the way she reacted..."

Cain snorted. "Never trust a demon."

"Then why are we here?"

Both turned back in the direction from which Cain had come. Lisha stood in the darkness, a dagger in her left hand, Filbert shifting nervously behind her and Edith notably bringing up the rear, her own dagger gleaming at the end of her arm. Lisha's mouth was serious, but her eyes were playful.

"This is no time for humor. Trust me or not, Lisha, we are almost upon my former captor. You'd better decide quickly."

"We'll follow you, Cain. What is she reading?"

All turned back toward Melora; Edith stumbled, righted herself against a stalactite.

"Orloki's book. This swordsman says to leave her."

"The book is not Orloki's." Cain raised an eyebrow. "Let her continue. Melora would not take unnecessary risks." Not to all of your knowledge, anyway.

Cain sighed in frustration. "Right. Will you help Sequoia now?"

"He is in Melora's care," Lisha responded simply. We will wait here." And I'll keep a close eye on her. If Orloki is powerful enough to have corrupted that book... not even Cain will be of use against him.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #534
IC:

They stood and waited. melora kept reading the book, lud and clear. Filbert tried to stay awake. Although
This was all very exciting and such, the monotonous voice in which Melora read seemed to suck all energy out of him. After a few more minutes he was asleep.

---------------

It took some time to wake him up. lisha pushed him and eventually draged him through the entire library, until she just kicked him in his sensitive parts of manhood. He awoke. Finally.

"You are finnaly awake, I see. We have to go. Melora is ready reading that book, and I'd like to leave. if you still want to be killed by a demon, join. otherwise, you miserable excuse for a warrior, just sit here and wait until we come back."

After Lisha had said all that, she walked to the rest of the party. Sequoia still lay on the ground. Tuulentekija, still filthy of the blood of the wolves all over his armor and clothes, sat beside him. he checked his eyes, his ears, everything he could think of, before finnaly helping him stand up. Sequoia didn't look to good, but at least he could move on.

"What happened? it was all... dark..."

Lisha approached him and said:

"You slept. At least that is what we think you did. You lost much energy when you fired that spell at whoever attacked you."

"Ah... okay..."

Filbert now stood up and approached the party, but kept standing when he saw Sequoia aquired a defensive position.

"Stand there! Don't moove! Cain, Lisha, draw your swords! It is him! What are... Hey! Draw your..."

he was interupted by Lisha, saying Filbert wasn't possessed and was willing to help them fight Orloki. Sequoia slowly calmed down and lowered his staff, which seemed to be almost repaired. Lisja took edith's knapsack and gave it to her. She was sitting at a stalagmite, trying to regain her breath after all that had just happened. Then Lisha approached Filbert once again.

"Say, how come you fell asleep anyway. You didn't look very tired, did you?"

"i don't know. It was something with that book. At a certain point I just had to close my eyes, as if the book demanded it from me."

Lisha walked to melora and thought. Melora also closed her eyes. Cain did too, at a certain point, although that was for concentration. I wonder... She walked to edith.

"Edith, you are probably tired already, but just now. Did you fall asleep, or felt very tired?"

Edith looked at her. "Well, now you meantion it. I did start to feel very tired. Even more tired than I was before."

The whole party lookd at Filbert, then at edith.

"I want to go away from this place. it gives me the creeps."

After Filbert had suggested that, everybody, espacially Sequoia, had looked at him with a mistrusting look. He had said:

"Fine, but if this one of your tricks, my next spell will be aimed at you!"

They started to stand up, Edith and Sequoia were helped by tuulentekija and Filbert, while Lisha and the others looked at Filbert and Cain. They were ready to move on.

OOC: I hope I didn't ruin anything for anybody. I would like to move on from this place. And by the way, Filbert may be a swordsman of not such great skill, but he does know what cetain weapons are.

--------------------
My webpage in all its anti-glory. the only place where you could be able to download my scenario, if it weren't in beta yet.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #535
OOC: Uh, no offense, but that went a little fast. If everybody else is okay with this, I won't say anything, but you know where I stand on "advancing the plot":

quote:
to advance the plot = to engage in a blind, hasty activism; a symptom of a madness that causes players to think a roleplay is such a horrible thing that it must be gotten over with as soon as possible [...]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #536
OOC: Sigh. I had the feeling this would come when I saw your name appear at the general forum last post indicator. I would have gine slower, if this RP wouldn't have taken already six months, and to be honest, I have noc lue at the moment of how things are going to develop and when we are going to face orloki. In my opinion, it should come very soon. I don't think this is horrible or anything, it is just taking to long.

Actually, what is so hastily done in my post while I try to describe about 10 - 15 minutes?

--------------------
My webpage in all its anti-glory. the only place where you could be able to download my scenario, if it weren't in beta yet.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #537
The post is fine, Thralni. I thought at first that you'd brought Orloki in, which certainly would've been a bit premature, but, of coruse, you didn't. I don't think you overstepped any boundaries, really.

I'd like to keep things moving too, though... I won't post next because I've posted twice recently, but I've got several ideas to build off whatever everyone else writes...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #538
OoC: For the record, I'm starting back before Sequoia regained consciousness... I won't change anything, I just wanted to flesh this out a bit more... particularly since it "advances the plot".

And Thralni, the staff is still broken, and won't be repaired until whatever we take to be an epilogue.

IC:

The darkness around Sequoia lightened, and he felt his mind awaken. Eyes still closed, his body protested, wanting dearly to slip back into oblivion.

Just five more minutes... he told himself, knowing that if he nodded off again he'd be as good as gone. He tested his limbs, making sure he could still feel them. The pain in his chest flared for a moment, then felt what had to be magic pulsing in the wounds.

It was old magic. Very old. Sequoia cringed in both pain and awe, as he felt the ancient spell heal his wounds. As the feeling intensified, his hearing returned in earnest, and he heard a deep voice reciting syllables in a language he could not identify.

Without warning, the pain and the magic left his chest, and he felt his lungs involuntarily gasp for air. Sequoia realized that he had been holding his breath up to that point, and was grateful for the reprieve.

He opened his eyes, desperately hoping to find himself in an Order temple, far away from the mountain, far away from Orloki. Instead, he was greeted by the blood-soaked face of Tuulentekija. In a strange way, it was comforting to see that he had taken just as much of a beating.

"What happened?" the druid asked, slowly and painfully sitting up. "It was all dark..." And peaceful... he added mentally. The rest of the group, including Cain, Edith, and Lisha had joined himself, Melora and Tuulentekija in the room. Slain wolves surrounded them.

"You slept. At least that is what we think you did. You lost much energy when you fired that spell at whoever attacked you," Lisha said, gesturing toward the pile of ashes which marked the demon's final resting spot.

"Ah, okay..." Sequoia said, trying to remember exactly what spell he'd cast. Was it the mountain or me who cast it?

As he rubbed his eyes, still trying to get a full fix on his surroundings, he saw Filbert caustiously approach him. Ready to reduce him to a pile of cinders, Sequoia leapt to his feet. His body protested violently, even with the ancient magic's healing.

"Stand there!" he yelled at Filbert. "Don't move! Cain, Lisha, draw your swords! It's him!"

Sequoia frantically signalled to Cain and Lisha, who had not yet drawn weapons. "What are... Hey! Draw your..."

Lisha interrupted him. "He's no longer possessed, Brother. He says he will help us fight Orloki."

The druid slowly lowered the halves of his staff (OoC: Note: halves), and relaxed. He saw Edith leaning against a stalagmite, and she appeared to be back to normal. Or at least what passes for normal here...

Lisha approached Filbert. "Say, how come you fell asleep anyway. You didn't look very tired, did you?"

This conversation was more or less lost on Sequoia. However, his ears picked up on Filbert saying "as if the book demanded it from me." Is the fool still under Orloki's control?

He saw Lisha stroll around a dead wolf, over to where Edith now stood. "Edith, you are probably tired already, but just now. Did you fall asleep, or felt very tired?"

Edith looked confused for a moment. "Well, now you meantion it. I did start to feel very tired. Even more tired than I was before."

Sequoia and the others stared at Filbert and Edith. May the spirits help us... we have two spies among us.

Filbert was the first to break the awkward silence that ensued. "I want to go away from this place. it gives me the creeps."

Sequoia stared straight at Filbert, trying to divine his motives. He saw nothing of note in his eyes, but vowed to keep an eye on him. "Fine, but if this one of your tricks, my next spell will be aimed at you!"

With that matter resolved, the party moved to leave the cave. Tuulentekija helped Edith along, and Sequoia declined help from him and Filbert. It would be painful, but Sequoia knew he could continue onward. As long as we can find Orloki before his minions swarm us again...

The party moved to the left-side exit of the chamber, and Sequoia felt a twinge of the mountain's tain surge in the back of his mind. He quickly grabbed the charm and suppressed it, causing the feeling to fade fast. So at least this is the right way to Orloki...

As they walked, the passage sloped upward sharply, and soon turned from smooth cave floor to roughly cut steps, which had a light coating of frost. The frost had more or less turned to the color of soot by now, which made climbing the stairs an exercise in caution. Empty torch brackets lined the walls, and Sequoia's light spell was the only illumination to be found.

Three bends in the passage later (Right, right, left... Sequoia repeated, trying to memorize the path, in case it moved before they descended), the party came to a torch bracket that actually had a torch in it.

"Hold up," Cain said, motioning for everyone to stop. The narrowness of the passage had made single-file walking a necessity, and Melora, Lisha, and Tuulentekija had passed the torch before Cain saw it. "I think we've got company,"

Sequoia could see him grinning wickedly, the flickering torchlight accentuating the demonic side of his appearance.

Without warning, the passage began trembling, and the sound of shifting rock echoed along the cave walls.

"No! Not now!" Sequoia shouted, vaulting past Edith and Filbert to check the way they'd come.

One bend later, Sequoia stood in front of a solid rock wall. He could even see the party's footprints leading from the base of the wall. And now we have no choice. Damn you, Orloki...

OoC: I think it's time we wrapped this up... I anxiously await the next post, and I personally feel it should be from either Nazgul or Sherlock. And again, I apologize for the length of time it took me to post.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #539
Ignore this post. It was a waste of mine, and everyone else's time.

[ Saturday, March 11, 2006 18:51: Message edited by: Sir Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #540
OOC: I am REALLY sorry for being too busy lately. I should have posted days ago... This post will not only bring us practically right up to Orloki’s proverbial “door,” but I decided to add a good twist that I hope isn’t an annoyance to anyone. If I ruin any plans, I’ll change things. Someone has to get things going, but I want to keep everyone happy at the same time. Please excuse the length.

IC: As they move up the steps, Edith notices that she is no longer as tired as she was before and the pain in her back is now gone. Soon she is able to walk without Tuulentekija’s aide. As the passage grows narrower, she begins seeing the empty torch holders along the walls. Then Edith notices a burning torch on the wall. Most of the others don’t take notice of it until after they’re already past it. Edith thinks briefly to herself that they must be nearing Orloki's lair, but her thoughts are interrupted when a familiar sound of stone grinding on stone is heard. A moment later, Sequoia rushes down the steps behind them shouting "No! Not now!” Edith doesn't bother to turn around and follow, as she and Tuulentekija know all too well what they would find. A few moments after that, they get the confirmation of what they already suspected. Sequoia returns to them and squeezes back to the front, anger and dejection written all over his features. Cain on the other hand seems to be gloating over the occurrence.

“Orloki is definitely close. I can almost smell him. There’s no turning back now. We MUST face him.” Cain continues up the steps with the rest following him. Soon the torches line the passage on both side and the black ice begins to grow thicker and thicker. Suddenly the passage grows much wider and opens up into a sort of gallery that leads off to what seems to be a pitch-black tunnel. The rest of the group joins Cain and they stand side by side, looking in aw at the sight before them. The gallery is at least 30 feet wide and 50 feet long with walls covered by black ice. The ceiling arcs 40 feet above them and appears to also be covered by the black ice. Ancient chandeliers with strange archaic blazing torches hang from the ceiling, casting ghostly, unnatural-looking light throughout the room. At first, they all just stand there, none willing to walk through the gallery in fear of magical traps or hidden guardians. Then Filbert sees something and runs up to one of the walls. “Oh my god!!! There are gold and silver coins sticking out of the ice on this wall!!” He attempts to pry them loose, but recoils in pain as soon as he touches them. “ACK!!! I think I just frostbit my fingers!”

Some of the members of the party chuckle at this revelation. Soon, however, curiosity gets the better of them and they all spread out between the two walls, looking at them more closely. They soon find to their surprise that he’s right. However, not only are gold and silver coins in evidence in the ice, but so are rings, gems, gold and silver bars, necklaces, and whatever else of wealth the imagination can produce. Moreover, the items aren’t just concreted in the ice of the walls; they are also in the ice on the floor and even on the archway of the ceiling above them. Cain is the first to comprehend what they are seeing. “I don’t believe it!!! It’s King Albert’s treasure!!! The legend was real!!” The shock hits all of them at once, but takes some time to sink in. Around them must be ton upon ton upon ton of sheer wealth concreted into the ice with no way of getting it out.

Edith wanders around between the two walls looking at the items, but not really showing any visible signs of enthusiasm at the apparent hoard of wealth around her. The others appear to be the exact opposite in attitude, but she doesn’t watch all of them to be sure. She does notice some of them trying to use their hands and weapons to get some of the bounty loose, but one by one, they all fail miserably. The terrible irony of the situation strikes Edith and she starts to laugh uncontrollably. Everyone in the party turns around with their weapons drawn, half-expecting Orloki to have taken control of Edith again. Edith continues to laugh and crouches down to sit and catch her breath, but remembering the black ice, she stands back up again. She calms down and stops laughing when she sees everyone glowering at her. Tuulentekija goes to her. “Edith, are you still yourself?”

She looks at him and chuckles a bit. “I’m-I’m sorry about that. Yes, I am still myself. I just couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of the situation.” Melora questions her. “Irony? You mean the feeble attempts of the others to get to these trinkets of wealth?” Edith nods her head with another slight snicker. “Yes. The treasure in the ice. Within reach but stuck in the ice. It was obviously put there by Orloki and his minions after he scared off King Albert’s men as a tease to all future fortune-seekers if they ever made it this far. And by the bits of skull and bones I see here and there, either some DID make it this far or Orloki decided to adorn the walls and such with the remains of King Albert’s minions. (Breaks with a chuckle) It reminds me of a twisted form of a chapel I was once in.” The others look around and soon they too notice the bones and skulls they missed in their excitement of the treasure.

While they examine them and continue to look at the treasure, Edith meanders over to the apparent dark passage leading away from the gallery. Melora stops her before she gets there and pulls her aside to talk to her alone. “You puzzle me, alchemist. Around you is limitless wealth and yet you don’t seem to display any interest in it whatsoever, unlike the others. Why?” Edith smirks. “You want the simple answer or the complex one?” Melora gives what looks like a glimmer of a grin for a moment, but her face goes expressionless the next. “How about a little of both?” Edith looks around her as she answers. “Well, the simple answer is I already have a hoard of money of my own. I don’t really feel the urge of greed like other adventurers would, as I really don’t care to obtain more useless wealth to spend in the village where I live. As for the complex reason, well, I can sum it up in a word. Revenge.” Melora raises an eyebrow and then questions further. “Revenge?”

“Yes, revenge. My father led an expedition to this mountain to learn why so many people never returned from it. He learned why, but didn’t live long enough to pass on the knowledge. He was the only one to make it back, but he was fatally wounded while here and only managed to limp back to the village before collapsing in the tavern and dying. That all happened when I was young and I’ve been alone since then. I’ve gone on to study under powerful mages and alchemists and I’ve amassed quite a bit of knowledge in my lifetime. However, I’ve been looking for a chance to come to this mountain in the pursuit of answers for many years and possibly avenging my father’s death somehow. Though I too have heard of this treasure, I care little for it. It’s revenge and answers I seek and I don’t really care if I have to die to obtain both of them. And speaking of reasons, I see you aren’t very interested in the treasure. May I ask what you seek?” Melora’s face remains inscrutable at the question, but after thinking it over for a few seconds, she answers.

“While I know it’s not really any business of yours, I see no reason as to why I shouldn’t tell you. Knowing the answer won’t profit you in any way. I seek knowledge. I won’t tell you for whom or why, but I will say that it’s connected with the ancient race that I believe stored knowledge in this mountain in a hidden vault. A vault most likely protected by Orloki. You heard all that I said to Lisha earlier, I assume, and I don’t really care who knows it. As long as you don’t get in my way of obtaining that knowledge, I don’t really care about your presence.” Edith gives a sly grin. “So, Melora, I take it that you don’t really believe that the knowledge that was back there in that library was the REAL store of knowledge then.” Melora seems to give Edith a dark glace for an instant at the question and she turns away, making Edith think she is going to walk away without answering. But she turns around and replies in an almost inaudible voice.

“No, I do not. There was magical knowledge there of immense power, but not what I seek. I feel there is something more ahead. If that creature is, as I suspect, a guardian of that knowledge set here by the ancients to protect it, then I think it’s just toying with us. When I was reading that one book that remained, or should I say when I was being read by it, I felt the presence of more intense magic and knowledge nearby. I feel that that library back there doesn’t even scratch the surface of what this mountain holds in actuality. Our problem now is getting past Orloki and locating it, which won’t be easy. But we have to…” It’s then that a sudden pulse of energy and flash of light distracts the both of them. Whipping around they see Cain standing motionless in front of what was previously the dark exit at the other end of the gallery. Now they can see a grand staircase covered completely by the black ice leading upwards towards the summit. Torches line the walls on either side of it and something is descending the stairs.

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #541
IC:

Those who had weapons took them out and adopted combat positions. Cain, who used no weapons but his brute force, remained immobile. Whatever it is, it's not Orloki.

That something soon reached the end of the staircase, its silhouette resembling a tall humanoid figure. The figure started walking towards the party, its slow but steady footsteps eerily echoing around the chamber. Suddenly the figure stopped about fifteen meters away from the party. As the ominous light behind him faded the figure was revealed to the party.

An impossibly decrepit old man in long purple robes stood before them. His face was so decrepit that mummified would not be an exaggerated description of his form. What seemed remarkable however, was the fact that his body stood straight and tall, as if under those robes the body of a young man was hidden.

"Hak Ereshia." Said the old man in an old yet loud voice. He followed his strange greeting with more of the same incomprehensible language. Cain quickly looked around the party to see if anyone had understood any part of what the old man said, but no one seemed to know, or no one cared to translate.

The old man, having noticed the oblivious expressions in the party, closed his eyes and mumbled what appeared to be a brief incantation. He stared at the party again and started talking, this time the language was understood.

"Welcome visitors. Excuse my original attempt to communicate; it has been… very long indeed since the last time I spoke with any outsider. Time has passed quickly outside Orloki's chambers and many things of old have been lost, including language which has… mutated into this crude tongue of yours." The old man chuckled whilst mumbling something in his ancient tongue.

"Who are you? Where is Orloki!" Shouted an agitated Filbert.

"I am not deaf child, your manners are less than pleasing. Be glad master Orloki wants you alive."

"We are tired of these games, we want to see him now." Edith demanded.

The old man chuckled, "Oh, but you will see him, yes, you will. I will take you to him."

"Who, what are you? Why should we trust you?" Asked Lisha, still holding her daggers.

"Who am I? Who am I…I," the old man seemed to drift in time for a moment, "call me Curator, that is how master Orloki calls me." The word curator seemed to spark something in Melora's eyes.

"You still haven't answered why we should trust you." Lisha insisted.

The old man chuckled. "You don't have any other option. You can either follow me as good children or I will carry you to the presence of Orloki myself."

"Take us to Orloki." Said Cain. The party glared at Cain; surprised he had accepted the old man's invitation so quickly.

"Ah…you must be Cain." The old man smiled, threatening to crack his decrepit face. "You must be the mortal who stole from my master… I can feel the power of demonkind inside you...yes. You have no idea the power you have…the possibilities…the…" the old man paused for a moment and then resumed, "Orloki wishes to see you all… specially you Cain."

Cain remained silent. On the outside he appeared as calm as always but on the inside his deep fear was now confirmed. Orloki had been playing with them all along, moving them, probing them. Since the miraculous escape from death when fighting the four-armed demon, Cain knew something was very wrong. Now here he was, at the very gates of Orloki's chambers. It was at this point when Cain noticed the line of runes between him and the old man before him. It was at this point when Orloki's scheme was finally revealed to him.

Orloki's Chambers… of course, I should've known. You can't escape these chambers. That is why your spirit was pulled towards the chamber when I broke the crystal prison, which is why you want us to go to you. That is why you want me, a mortal vessel to escape the demon bounding runes, a vessel to pour your demonic spirit into while remaining a powerful and immortal demon.

Cain chuckled at the irony of the situation; in the process of stealing the power of a demon he had not only released him from his relatively weak crystal prison but also provided the demon a way to escape the bigger, stronger, prison; The Mountain Chambers, almost as old as the mountains themselves. Whatever the treasures inside these chambers are, they must be valuable indeed. Making these powerful runes and then summoning Orloki to guard it… A dangerous mixture of fear and ambition was now growing into Cain, not so much for his imminent encounter with Orloki, but because of whatever powerful knowledge awaited beyond Orloki's Chamber.

OOC: Note that I haven't moved the party anywhere.

[ Tuesday, March 14, 2006 09:15: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #542
OOC: Is someone going to post or what?

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #543
I've got an IC half-written. I'll try to get it finished before falling asleep.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #544
OoC:

Okay... we seriously need to wrap this up, particularly with the Avernum RP taking off this quickly. I don't want to post an IC because I did so fairly recently (plot-wise, anyway). Where's that IC you were talking about, David?

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #545
Pardon the double-post, but it's been a while...

***IC UNDER CONSTRUCTION***

Since people posted after this, I'm just going to post it further down the page to avoid confusion.

[ Tuesday, June 06, 2006 14:48: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #546
OOC:

As noticed upon first reading this RP: this must be the only place where you can find the name of a famous Bible character and a cocktail nut in the same sentence (Cain and Filbert).

http://www.cloaksofireland.com/opera1.jpg

OOC: Old Opera Cloaks.

I'm all done now.

Edit: Image linked to remove topic disruption.

[ Monday, June 05, 2006 22:38: Message edited by: Hastur ^ 3 ]

--------------------
"People usually formed three impressions about Aziraphale: he was English, intelligent, and gayer than a treeful of monkeys on nitrous oxide."
—'Good Omens', by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman

Living on earth may be expensive, but it includes an annual free trip around the Sun.

Robinated
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #547
OOC: Ephesos, I'm about to post my bit too, although it sort of hinges on you posting yours first- if I remember it correctly, you are unconscious and I just healed you using an uber-spell from an ancient book.

Robin, please do not make off-topic comments - RP threads are an intricate, cluttered business that is already very hard to follow if only players with characters post. ;)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #548
OoC: Oh, it's been a long, strange trip. But let's get this show back on the road!

(For clarity, this post is starts right where Nazgul's left off)

IC:

Sequoia stared at the... thing. It looked human in form, but Sequoia could tell that everything human about it had passed on centuries ago. The Curator's eyes, deeply sunken into the skull, glowed a dull red, which cut through the darkness of the chamber. The druid could feel them searching for something, but he wasn't sure what, even after the Curator looked him straight in the eye.

When Sequoia had entered the chamber, he had just stood there, stunned by the grisly display embedded in the walls. Then, the sight of his companions trying to pry the forgotten treasures from the black ice had nearly put the anger back in control. Now, he could only stand and choke back a spell as he stared down Orloki's unholy creation.

None of the others said a word. Then Sequoia stepped forward and raised a half of his staff.

"Stop buying time for your master and let us pass!" the druid bellowed. The others looked at him with looks varying between surprise, fear, and "why did you do that?".

The Curator laughed. It was the kind of sound that made Sequoia want to puncture his own eardrums, something out of a dark crypt on a full moon night. Sequoia simply ground his teeth and stood his ground.

"Don't worry, you will see my master soon. And rest assured that he has pondered your eventual fates for quite some time. They will be... unique," the Curator said, his grotesque face trying its best to grin.

Filbert whimpered. Tuulentekija lowered his sword for a brief moment. Melora and Lisha just stared, while Edith and Cain were visibly smoldering with rage (Cain literally so). Sequoia shook with fury.

"Well then, if you're all prepared, we may continue to the summit, where my master waits for you," the Curator said, gesturing to the staircase.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #549
"No."

The word was softly spoken, and yet it reverberated through the silence like a shout of defiance. They turned around. It had been some time since the dark elf had said anything. She felt the stares of their eyes, living, dead and demonic, but faltered only for an instant before catching herself. She spoke on:

"You take us all for fools. Why should we follow you to your master's lair, where we are utterly at his mercy?"

The Curator laughed again, and the druid winced at the grating sound.

"You already are. Behold -", and he raised a finger. The room vibrated, there was a brief sensation of movement and a distant rumble. The door behind them vanished, and another tunnel had opened to the side. "You are at the heart of his lair, and it is his power here that holds sway, and not the mountain's. You will follow, willing or bound."

The mountain's? So it is there. What the Druid felt was true. And if Orloki has had to suppress that force, perhaps it may yet be of use.

A glance told her that Sequoia had noted the Lich's slip as well. She pushed the thought aside. The master would be dealt with later. For now, it was important to humiliate the servant - enraged minions tended to grow unreliable.

Apparently, Lisha had had the same thought, for she said: "We have not come here to bandy words with Orloki's lapdog. Go back to your master and tell him we are waiting here in this chamber. Let him come out if the years have not made him soft and craven."

It is not easy to anger the Undead. For one, they have had a lot of time to learn patience. The Curator opened his mouth to laugh, but was interrupted.

"X'somhra." Melora raised her hand and recited a word from the book she had read earlier. The healing spell would have turned lesser undead to dust, but the lich was far too powerful to be seriously harmed. Still, it caught him on the side of the face, a stinging slap on the cheek that made him wince.

"Run to your master, dog." Her voice had changed. Before, it had been cold, now it could have frozen hellfire. "Run and get him, and then hide, lest you crave eternal rest." There is something backwards about a drow banishing undead, she realized. First time for everything.

OOC: Back! Yay! Let's go get the others to return!

--------------------

Pages