The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #400
OOC: Well, it seems I have no choice but to be stuck in with Tuulentekija and Filbert. I had originally written my post in the anticipation of being with Sequoia and Lisha. Now I am stumped as to what I should write to continue.

And then there's the problem with Mung. I do prefer to stay neutral, but I can't help but comment. It's WAY too late for someone to be joining the RP. I already know what repercussions that can have. I killed one RP and nearly destroyed another when I first started RPing here. And I'll be dashed if I can understand how there can be a pirate ship in a mountain.

[ Thursday, October 27, 2005 17:17: Message edited by: Sir Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #401
OoC: I'm leaving this afternoon for a funeral (my grandfather passed away on Monday), and I won't have reliable computer access until Friday night at best.

I leave Sequoia in the capable hands of Aran and David, seeing as that's how the parties have (re-)split at this point.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #402
OOC: Well, I'm going to make an attempt to post. I'm am kind of nervous about creating a fight post of any sorts because I'm not the best at that. And this post will be long, but hopefully adequate. Sorry to hear about your grandfather, Ephesos.

IC: At this point, Edith is on the verge of complete terror and indecision. She can easily see that Orloki, or some other spirit that she is not yet aware of, has possessed Filbert. Moreover, the imps standing on either side of him don’t look weak, but malicious and deadly. She also realizes that in her present state, her spell book is completely useless to her because she can’t recite any of the spells orally. With Tuulentekija still leaning on her, she nudges him and points to the darkness behind them, where the shockwave from the collapse of the ceiling has covered up most of the glowing moss with a thick layer of dust. “Back up slowly while I try to think. If we are in the darkness, they won’t be able to target us as easily as they would out here among all this glowing moss.” He follows her instructions and starts backing up. As darkness starts to envelope them, she spies Tuulentekija’s mask lying against a rock on the ground in front of them. She suddenly stops backing up and whispers in her mind to him. “Hold onto the wall for support. I found your mask. I’m going to try to get it for you.”

Tuulentekija grabs her arm and reprimands her. “No!!! It isn’t worth the risk!! Leave it be and let’s run!!” Edith looks up at the slowly advancing Filbert and imps and then back down at the mask. She makes a split-second decision to take his advice and, taking his arm, they plunge into the darkness and make their way down the passage as quickly as possible. Filbert calls to them smugly. “You can’t run from me! My imps will find you in the darkness wherever you go! ATTACK THEM!!!” With that, the imps take off into the air and fly down the tunnel after them. When Edith and Tuulentekija reach the area of tunnel where the doorway is supposed to be, they find that it is blocked with debris from the cave-in. Turning around, she looks back into the darkness and anticipates where the imps might be. She feels around for a few moments and realizes grimly that they are trapped.

While feeling around in the rubble for a possible escape route, an idea hits Edith. In the middle of trying to climb up the debris pile, Tuulentekija finds himself being forced to the ground by her and he hears the sound of a weapon being unsheathed. He frantically looks around trying to see in the dark, but fails to discern anything in the inky blackness. He then surmises that Edith has unsheathed her long dagger and plans to fight off the imps herself. He opens his mouth to yell something to her, but stops when he hears a familiar gurgling sound and hears Edith grunting and whimpering in pain. The next series of events are almost a complete blur to him, as they all happen so quickly. He hears a simple series of hoarse, strained words coming from Edith as she musters all her strength into them. “Lucis…ex…inferis…” With the last word, a blinding white light shoots down the tunnel from the ruby ring on her extended hand.

The imps, being less than ten feet from her at the time, are instantly blinded. Filbert, too, is caught off guard by the sudden burst of light and it causes him to trip and fall backwards. Seeing how close the imps are, Edith throws herself on her face to avoid a collision. The imps fly straight into the wall of rubble with a loud crash, and squeal like mad as part of it caves in on them. Getting to her feet, she helps Tuulentekija up and they run down the tunnel towards Filbert as fast as they can, hoping to pass him before either he or the imps can regain their sight again. Filbert, unfortunately, recovers quickly and stops them before they can pass him. “That was a fancy trick, but I am smarter than you and faster than you. Soon my minions will be at your heals. However, I’m afraid that I must withdrawal my promise of a swift and painless death. I feel now that you should suffer and suffer terribly!”

Edith whispers something mentally to Tuulentekija. “Keep him busy for a few seconds. I know how we can get past him.” Edith steps back into the darkness and starts digging through her one knapsack. Tuulentekija steps forward at the same time towards Filbert. “Do you think you really scare us? You and your master WILL be defeated and I will watch you both be destroyed.” Filbert laughs and answers back through an evil grin. “Foolish mortals. Gods cannot be killed. My master will take great pleasure in claiming your souls and making you serve him ?til the end of time. And I will enjoy watching him as he does it. I can hear my minions heading towards you now. Any last words, mortals?” Edith pops her face back into the light of the glowing fungus with an evil grin of her own and responds loudly in Filbert’s mind. “Yes…have a nice sleep...” With that she puts something to her mouth, and in the next instant, there is the sound of a faint rush of air.

“Ack!” Filbert winces as something strikes him in the neck. Grabbing at something, he pulls it out in front of him so he can examine it. Tuulentekija recognizes the object in his hand as one of the pins that Edith had removed from her hair earlier. Edith grabs his arm and, pushing Filbert aside, they run down the tunnel towards the stairs. Filbert tries to strike one of them with his sword, but as he does so, he gets light-headed and his vision goes blurry. He turns towards them and starts to run after them, but he soon begins getting drowsy. Then, to make all else worse, the imps fly into him from behind, knocking him down. Filbert soon passes out with his imps standing over him. Meanwhile, Edith and Tuulentekija make it down the stairs and into the forge, where they take the time to catch their breath.

“What did you do to him?” Tuulentekija asks Edith. “Well, I forgot to mention that I carry a blowpipe. I keep my darts in my hair to make them easier to transport. Not only does it prevent me from poking myself through a knapsack, but they also look nice when sticking out of a bun.” This last statement causes him to smile a little. “Did you kill him?” Edith looks at him when he asks it and shakes her head in response. “No. I didn’t want to kill an innocent. Orloki is using Filbert against us, but his soul is still trapped somewhere in his body. We must figure out a way to help him later. But for now, we must avoid him at all costs. The poison I used will not kill him. It will merely put him to sleep for a while and make him weak for a tad. However, it will only last for a short time. In the meantime, I want to clean up your head wound and bandage it before we look to see where the others went. They had to of come this way before us.”

She goes and gathers some water from the hot spring and comes back to Tuulentekija. She finds him facing away from her into the darkness. When she tries to get him to turn his head towards the light of the foundry, he attempts hide his face with his hands. Edith instantly suspects that he doesn’t want her to see his face now that the mask is gone. Knowing he can’t win against Edith’s persistence, he relents and allows her to pulls his hands away from his face. After turning it towards her, she finds she is still unable to see much through the blood with the brighter light of the foundry. After washing the blood off of his face, treating his head wound, and bandaging it, she steps back and looks his face over again. Tuulentekija looks at the ground as she scrutinizes his features. She can clearly see horrible scars running up and down his cheeks from ear to chin on both sides and over his forehead, leading into his hairline. One scar in particular catches her attention. It runs from his forehead above his left eyebrow and down across the middle of his eye and meets one of the scars in the center of his cheek. For a few seconds, she just stares at him. Then Tuulentekija looks back up at her and sees, through the mask, a tear leave both of her eyes.

He hears a sad voice in his head. “So much pain. So much suffering you must have endured. I am really sorry.” Tuulentekija looks at the ground again. “Are you going to pity me and look down on me like so many others have?” Looking up, he sees Edith still staring at him and shaking her head. “Looks mean nothing compared with what a person has inside their soul. And truthfully, I see a handsome man with a beautiful soul standing before me.” Tuulentekija sheds a tear and smiles. “I haven’t heard anyone say anything like that for a long, long time. I thought I would never hear it again. Thank you.” Edith smiles at him and then shivers suddenly. “Brrrrr. Where’s the cold air coming from? This room was all steamy earlier.” “Yeah, I just noticed that too. Could you produce a light for us to see? Perhaps something like you produced up there in that tunnel, only not as bright. By the way, how did you do that?”

Edith smiles again and shows him her ring. “I cast a rare spell that came from this ring. It was a gift left to me from my mother. This ring is for creating light where light is usually unable to be created. Like in a cursed crypt where light cannot penetrate the evil aurora around it. It can also be used in times of emergency when a bright blinding light is needed to stun enemies. The spell is appropriately named ?Light from Hell.’ Ugh. My throat feels terrible from my exertion up there, so I will need you to recite the weak light spell for me. Just say the word, “Lucis” out loud.” Tuulentekija follows her instructions and upon speaking the word, the ring gives a semi-bright glow, providing them with adequate light to search their surroundings. It doesn’t take them long to see an opening in the rock wall where there previously had not been one. Edith speaks up first. “I don’t remember that doorway being there when we first came in here.” “Neither do I. Well, as we can’t go back outside or back up the stairs, I suggest we go that way. Lead the way Miss Edith.” Edith resheathes her sword and leads the way with her glowing ring.

[ Thursday, October 27, 2005 22:42: Message edited by: Sir Sherlock Holmes ]

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #403
OoC: Must... salvage... RP. Must... finish!

IC:

Sequoia followed quickly in Lisha's wake, as the passage they travelled along grew narrower and rougher. He couldn't tell where they were going (be it up or down), but the cold wind he had felt down in the caves was growing stronger. Stranger still, the walls no longer had much moss on them, and frost crystals soon crowded the moss out. To Sequoia, this meant one of two things: they were getting farther from the warmth of the sun, or they were nearing the thoroughly-iced-over outer surface of the mountain.

Either way, it gets us farther away from the demon, he thought gloomily as he leapt over a stalagmite, barely clearing it.

They ran on for a while, and the passage grew colder.

"Am I hallucinating, or is it getting lighter?" Sequoia asked, mentally weighing the risks of an unfocused heating spell to combat the cold. As an image of a flaming cloak reached his mind's eye, he abandoned the idea.

"I hope so," Lisha said, not really seeming to pay attention.

------

The walls were now thickly coated with frost, and Sequoia could see stalactites connected to the ground by pillars of ice. As he ran, he encountered the odd patch of black ice, as did Lisha. The two sensibly slowed to a quick walk.

"It could be the light reflecting off the ice, but it's definitely lighter in here." Lisha said matter-of-factly. "And that wind is getting fierce."

Sequoia briefly nodded, and they trudged on.

-----

Snowflakes. The things blowing in their faces were snowflakes. Sequoia could scarcely believe it, having thought himself doomed to roam the passages of the mountain until something finally killed him. And snow means open air, and open air means sunlight... he thought excitedly.

They had slowed considerably, given how vicious the ice had become, forming painful-looking spikes on every wall of the passage. However, the light from Sequoia's hands was virtually unnecessary now, with how much light the ice reflected.

Turning a final corner, Sequoia and Lisha stopped dead in their tracks.

"Sunlight..." the druid nearly whispered, gazing out at the snow-covered mountainside, onto which the passage opened. Something deep in Sequoia's soul stirred, something which hadn't moved since they had entered the mountain. He could almost feel renewed energy surging through his veins... Maybe I can finally fix my staff.

After a moment, Lisha stepped out of the cave into the cold, gale-filled air, and looked down the mountain. "We're a lot higher up than I thought we were. I can almost see the peak through the snow."

Ignoring the fact that this meant being farther from the safe, normal, sane forest below, Sequoia basked in the diffuse sunlight coming down through the snowstorm. He looked out to the horizon, casting his eyes up the mountainside. Sure enough, the peak was hidden by the clouds of the snowstorm, which unsettled the druid a bit. It had been quite some time since he'd been at this altitude.

Perhaps this quest can still be salvaged... Sequoia thought happily as snow pelted him in the face.

A minute later, both of them turned abruptly to the sound of crashes and muffled cursing coming from the passage they'd just exited.

OoC: There's an open call for Tuulentekija, Edith, and/or Melora to rejoin us. Just one plea, and it's for Thralni: wait until the others get here, because it just won't make sense.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #404
I'm sorry Sherlock, but I just couldn't weait any longer. Besides, you really made the impression you wanted to be there and fight with Tuulentekija. I'm sorry you're dissappointed.

There is just one thing I would really like you all to do: DON'T call the Uruk-Hai imps! imps are, im my imagination, small red creatures with small wings! What we are talking about here, are big black winged creatures with red eyes (think of the demon golems of Avernum).

btw, I'll wait. I still have to read everything.

EDIT: Ok, I'll wait. I hope I will still meet you all, because I don't like the idea of attacking Edith and Tuulentekij alone. I wantyto have a fairer fight. Fighting against a blinded Tuulentekija and Edith whose book is useless doesn't really appeal to me.

EDIT 2: I almost forgot to give you my condolences Ephesos.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 04:31: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #405
OoC: Wait... Tuulentekija's blinded? It didn't look like that in Sherlock's post.

EDIT: And Sherlock did specifically run back up the tunnel towards the light given off by Sequoia's spell, just look back two posts:

quote:
Originally written by Sherlock:

When she recovers, she finds that she is covered in fine rock dust and sees a bright light emanating from the tunnel in front of her. Getting up, she makes her way towards it.

[ Monday, October 31, 2005 10:31: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #406
blinded/ not blinded, what does it matter. It was already in my post that I made tuulentekija see at least a bit, so already then he wasn't blinded anymore. About the light, did you say that to me, or was it in general, becasue i really have no idea why you would say it to me. did i say something that was the opposite of what you said?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #407
OoC: I'm just saying that you had Edith walk over to you and your demons when she was walking down towards the tunnel where Sequoia and Lisha were. Nevermind, doesn't matter. Let's just keep this moving.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #408
Okay. I didn't understand that. I'm also sorry for reacting in such an offencive way. I was getting irritated about my PC and it was late.

YAAAAAY!!! I'm a VETERAN!!! :)

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #409
OOC: I think its time for Aran, Wiseman, and Frozen Feet to post. I refuse to post again until at least Aran and Frozen Feet post again. Wiseman, it would be nice if you rejoined us.

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #410
OoC: I second that sentiment. It's really hard to build off of just your own posts...

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #411
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

A minute later, both of them turned abruptly to the sound of crashes and muffled cursing coming from the passage they'd just exited.
"What was that!"

Lisha drew a knife and crept back toward the entrance.

"What are you-"

She nodded up the path. "Go."

"Why-"

"Go!" she hissed. Let her find me. I won't let her get near him.

Sequoia stood uneasily for a second, then stepped toward her. She heard the crunch of the snow and snapped around.

"I'm not going to leave-"

"Just find us a way back in! I'll catch up."

Sequoia's heavy brow furrowed. He looked over his shoulder, then back at Lisha. "How do you know what's coming?"

"I don't. Go."

Shaking his head, Sequoia turned away. "Hurry." He began walking, then fell into a jog, avoiding ice patches but paying little attention to the path. What was wrong? What was following them? Did she know? Was she lying? He shot one more glance over his shoulder and saw her approaching the cave with the caution of a tracker. A gust of wind blew a curtain of white between them and she was gone. He faced forward again, slowing, and began searching for a new entrance.

Lisha, meanwhile, reached the entrance and prepared herself, a dagger in each hand, one dripping poison. If the elf were still possessed, she wouldn't let her get near. She thought of Sequoia, alone and exposed behind her, and stepped further into the cave. Another noise drew her attention, and she spun towards its source. She saw nothing.

Where is she?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #412
OOC:

For unfortunate reasons, I'll have to go into brief hiatus. Since this RP is moving very slowly, there's a chance I'll come back before the end.

---

David has full control of Melora in the meantime. :)

---

I might return unexpectedly, but I'll make sure to read what has happened in the meantime and to tell David so I don't barge in on a plot in progress.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #413
OoC: Onward, upward, and thataway!

IC:

Sequoia once more cast his eyes up the slope of the mountain, and tried his level best to avoid getting lost in the snowstorm which was more or less coating the mountaintop. Bits of rock stuck up from the storm at times, and they all looked unpleasant to the druid, in the sort of way a thin, sharp stalactite hanging over your head looks unpleasant. In short, pointy bits ahead... he thought.

In truth, he could see a few feet in any direction before the ground was swallowed by ice, snow and wind. Not terribly conducive to a hasty retreat, but Sequoia had a bad feeling that whatever lay ahead would either kill him or be killed. There wouldn't be much of a middle ground.

The sound of the wind filled his ears, and he had to use all of his mind to tune it out for even a second. He heard another crash from further down the mountain, and promptly realized that he needed all of his mind for walking when he almost stepped out into thin air.

He cast his eyes around him before stepping back from the icy cliff edge. Carefully, he righted his path and trudged up the mountainside, now keeping to the side of a rather large rock formation (which offered just enough protection from the elements for Sequoia to notice a difference in visibility).

Perhaps this won't be so bad, he thought, keeping one hand on the rock face. Thus, it was no surprise to him when he slipped on the icy ground, knocking the wind out of him. Then again, some shelter would be nice.

A few minutes (or was it hours) later, Sequoia noticed a break in the rock. This was a noticeable relief, as the path he trod was gradually getting narrower. Conveniently, the break turned out to be a cave entrance, and Sequoia cautiously peered down it, then looked around.

The snowstorm paused for a second (probably just catching its breath, he thought), and Sequoia had time to glance up toward the peak of the mountain. More sharp bits, a lot more ice, a few decent spires... it practically reeked of magical influence. While the pointy spires and such could've been natural, it was the slope of the mountain leading up to the peak which set it apart from the standard model of mountain.

It seemed to slope the wrong way. Not just straight up, but right past it and sloped again. As Sequoia stood in the shelter of the cave entrance, wrapping his cloak tighter about himself, it was uncanny how closely the peak's shape resembled a scythe pointed upward.

EDIT OoC: fixed typo... Anyway, I do hope that's satisfactory.

[ Tuesday, November 08, 2005 23:19: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #414
Melora hastily dragged the body deeper into the cave, pulling with all her strength. I can't be far behind them now, she thought. The wolf had sprung at her at the mouth of the cave as is expecting her. No natural wolf would even be here, let alone attack her without provocation. What has Orlokí done?

A stalagmite protruded from the stone floor in the shadows behind her, and with one last heave she brought the wolf behind it. She stood up and looked. There. Practically invisible.

A tiny vibration in the air echoed throughout the cavern and she froze. Turning gradually toward the entrance of the cave, she saw a dark shape come around the corner and then vanish.

Lisha. But where was Sequoia? Surely not dead? She hadn't seen a body, but neither would Lisha if she passed this stalagmite... but no, Lisha wouldn't have left Sequoia. She saw that. So where was he?

She think I'd kill him. The thought struck her suddenly. And she's willing to risk her own life...

A shadow moved, significantly closer to her than to the entrance. No. She doesn't deserve death, and I may need her later. Melora stepped out of the shadow, completely unarmed, and spoke. "Here."

Lisha's head snapped toward her and she prepared to defend herself, both knives held ready. Melora frowned and took a step closer. Lisha tensed.

"Is it still there?" Melora asked, indicating her face.

Lisha paused. It wasn't. "What are you talking about?"

"Why did you run?"

"You- the cave was crumbling."

"From me."

Lisha paused again and relaxed slightly.

"What possesses you?"

Melora shot her an incredulous look. "Possesses?"

"You are here to kill me for the demon, whether you know it or not."

Melora laughed. "To kill you? For Orlokí? What do you take me for?"

Lisha shook her head and shifted her weight forward. "I saw it, Melora. You were not in control of yourself."

"Of course I was."

"You were not. No elf can move that fast. And why are you still alive?"

Melora shot her a hard look. "Why are you? Are you, too, 'possessed'?"

Lisha shook her head again. "There's something in you. I saw it back in the woods, and back in the cavern. You cannot deceive me. You are a tool of my enemy, and I-"

"Your enemy?"

Lisha stopped.

"The Grand Lord's enemy, I assume?"

Lisha looked down briefly, then back up. "No."

Melora feigned surprise. "But how can you-"

"It doesn't matter. He is my enemy, and I will not let him... I will not allow his existance to continue."

Melora smiled slightly, a dangerous, feral smile. "I see. Orlokí has no hold on me. What you saw worries me as well, but Orlokí is as much my enemy as yours." Unless... but no, I would feel it, wouldn't I? I have no desire to kill her now...

Lisha relaxed, but kept her knives out. "Right, then. Let's go."

"Where?"

"Seq- to Orlokí. There must be a way up. Let's go." She shot Melora one last look and began running, sheathing a knife in the process. Melora followed, quickly drawing even with the assassin. The reached the mouth of the cave and followed the path, slowing somewhat for safety.

Lisha glanced sideways at her companion and fell back somewhat, this time succeeding in doing so. She can stay on the cliff side of the path. I'll stay near the stone.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #415
OOC: Frozen Feet, I really need you to post after this one. I am grasping at straws trying to come up with something.

IC: As they head up the sloping passage, the walls, ceiling, and floor begin to get icy and the air gets perceptibly colder. Slowly, bit-by-bit, Edith and Tuulentekija start seeing the ice formations getting thicker and thicker. Eventually they have to resort to walking carefully and using their grappling hooks on the walls to keep them from sliding around on the ice. Luckily for them, the tunnel isn’t ascending steeply, but it curves and twists ahead of them, making it impossible to foresee what’s ahead of them. Which is why the sudden echoing sound of stone grinding against stone a distance ahead of them forces them to stop and wait for a few minutes to be sure it isn’t a cave-in. The collapsing of the ceiling in the large cavern earlier could possibly have compromised other tunnels in the mountain, so they didn’t want to take any chances of being caught in a collapsing passage.

Upon hearing no further noises after a few minutes, they decide that it’s safe to proceed. After advancing around the sharp curve in front of them, they come face to face with a gallery of stalactites and stalagmites, which seriously narrow the path and present a dangerous impediment to their progress. Cautiously, they proceed through them, being careful not to injure themselves on the sharp edges. Eventually they reach the last group of obstacles and overcome them. However, upon clearing them, they come face to face with a dead end in the tunnel. A worried, yet agitated voice enters Tuulentekija’s mind as Edith speaks to him. “What the hell?!! This shouldn’t be here! This was definitely a passage to the exterior of the mountain. I felt the fresh air!! You felt it didn’t you?!!” She turns a face to him that expresses concern and confirmation that she isn’t going crazy. He answers her right away. “Yes! Yes, I felt it too. This was definitely a direct passage to the outside. Yet, now it ends with a dead end. What could it mean?”

Edith feels up the wall and strikes it with her grappling hook several times before answering. “I…I don’t know. I have to admit that I am bewildered and terrified. I…It’s almost like the entire mountain is alive. Like the tunnels can open and close themselves at will. I’ve never seen or heard of anything like it before.” She looks at the wall and then back down the tunnel that they had just come through. A horrific thought crosses her mind and she realizes that they could possibly be sealed into the tunnel at both ends. “My god!!! Back down the tunnel! We must get out of here before its too late!” They hurriedly start heading back through the gallery in hopes of making it out in time. However, while trying to get a grip with her grappling hook between two stalagmites, Edith breaks through a sheet of ice and gets her hook and hand caught. She practically screams in Tuulentekija’s mind. “OW!!! DAMN!!! I’m stuck!! I can’t get free!! HELP!!!” He stops and starts hacking at the ice around her hand, being careful not to hurt her.

At first, the ice barely yields at all to his efforts. But soon shockwaves produced by the hacking cause the two stalagmites on either side of them to start to crack and shift slightly. This makes Edith fear that the ceiling is about to cave-in on them. Her fears are realized when one of them suddenly collapses, causing the ice her hand is caught in to shatter. Though she is freed, the collapse causes a chain reaction in which she has no time to react. Everything goes black as the other stalagmite gives way and triggers some of the ice from the ceiling to collapse onto them. After everything settles, Edith finds herself face down in a pile of ice with a large amount of weight on her back. She surmises that Tuulentekija is lying on top of her and that they are both trapped under a cave-in of ice and rock. Opening her eyes, all Edith can see is darkness, meaning her ring has ceased to glow. She then tries to move around in an attempt to free herself. To her surprise, she finds that the space out in front of her is open and not solid rock or ice as before. Upon trying to crawl into the open area, she finds that she is completely immobile from the chest down because of the weight lying on top of her.

She starts speaking loudly into Tuulentekija’s mind, hoping to wake him up. It doesn’t take long before she hears him mumbling incoherently. The incoherence soon dissipates, however, and it becomes apparent that he is once again, awake. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?” “No, Miss Edith, I’m not hurt. What’s with the darkness? Has you’re ring stopped functioning?” Edith grunts slightly while trying to move and then answers him. “Yes. Repeat the spell word again so I can see this niche we have landed in.” He complies and soon the ring starts to glow again. Unfortunately, all Edith can see is the beginning of a tunnel that slopes sharply upwards. “Can you move at all? You have me pinned down. My body is almost completely stationary.” Tuulentekija feels around and finds a grip on the rock walls on either side of him. Pushing himself forward, he climbs out from under the ice lying on top of him, crawls off of her back, and up into the niche. Fortunately, the ice stays where it is and doesn’t cave-in on her. She tries to move again and finds herself now free. Turning herself over onto her back, she points her ring up and inspects the tunnel. This tunnel, unlike the other, is free of ice and traces of moss are visible. However it has clearly been unused and there is no telling where it might lead.

Tuulentekija looks up the rocky tunnel and then back down at Edith. “Well, should we see where it leads? I see no point in going back the way we came.” Edith looks at the ice blocking the entrance and then back at him. “Yes, we might as well abandon the other direction. Besides, we want to get as close to the peak as we can. I trust that this tunnel won’t shift on us. It doesn’t look like it was ever used. Well, I’ll go first to provide the light.” Edith grabs her grappling hook from the ground and climbs up beside Tuulentekija. She then proceeds to climb up the strange passage in front of him.

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #416
OOC: I know I should post, but I too am completely out of ideas. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, when I have better time. In the meantime, if someone else is not as empty-headed as I am, please, post something to carry on the plot. Zephyr, if you're still around, please tell about what your character has been doing all this time. I at least would like hear that. Oh, and if you still could e-mail me that explanation of how your character is related to Órloki, I'd be very happy. And Thrallni, you too could tell about what your character is doing, just don't attack anyone head on. Perhaps that could spark my exhausted imagination a little.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #417
OOC: Thanks, Frozen Feet. I have been waiting until somebody would ask me to post.

IC:

He was hit by something. a pain run through his body, eventually knocking him out. He fell, the mighty fire of the sword extinguished.

He woke up. He slowly stood up and looked around. he then spotted the small dart that. He removed it from his skin and looked at it. He didn't throw it away, but put it in his pocket. He may be possesed, but he does still wear his clothes. He closed his eyes and concentrated. Master. I have been tricked. they are gone. I can't find them. Send help. He waited for a few moments, until an angry voice spokje in his mind: WHAT! You lossed them! But how!? Edith... the one mortle who is clever enough. Search them! Keep searching for them! I'll send three Uruk-hai's. Five minutes later he heard flapping of wings, and three more of the dark creatures landed next to him. "Follow me," He said, and the four of them continued, the fire of the sword once again lighting up.

He inspected the cave where they had fought. It had caved in. Most of the routes where unpasseble. Then he saw two small openeing in the cave, left and right of him. From one wind was blowing, a cool soozing wind. the other was hot and sulfuric damps came out of it. He walked towards first the left, from which the wind came, and then the right, from which the damps came. He suddenly stopped when the mountain seemed to rumble and stone seemed to be grinding on stone. the rumbling stopped after a few seconds. The cool soozing chill had stopped, though.

"You two! Go and find out what that was!" he shouted to two Uruk-Hai's, and without questioning his orders, they took off and flew away.

"You! Come with me, and we shall see where this tunnel brings us." The Uruk-Hai flapped his wings and took off. Filbert followed, into the dark, filled with sulfuric damps, tunnel.

[ Wednesday, November 16, 2005 06:12: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #418
OoC:
Rollin' rollin' rollin',
Keep this RP rollin'—

(clubs self with nalgene)

Hm... I apologize for that outburst. Anyway...

IC:

Sequoia stared out of the cave mouth's shelter at the solid whiteness. This is pleasant, he thought, and he actually meant it. Such calm had thus far escaped him on this journey, and he welcomed the quiet moment with open arms. And open eyes, for that matter. Snow pelted him in the face as he stood in the utter silence of the storm.

Then the mountain moved, a sickening grinding rumble which lasted for about a minute (or so it seemed to the druid). Sequoia slowly picked himself up off the icy ground, brushing a few stray snowflakes off his worn cloak. Nothing broken, just a bruise.

That's a bit odd... he thought. He knew about earthquakes. He had even participated in a few. But this was just strange... it felt like the mountain had actually moved, instead of the random shaking characteristic of earthquakes. He shrugged it off, mentally filing it under "some unnatural magical event".

He turned to face the interior of the cave. The back of the cave sloped upward into a somewhat narrow passage, and appeared to have a few torch brackets in the walls. Of course, they held nothing but icicles now, but that didn't seem to be a problem. It just meant one more thing to hold onto.

Suddenly, Sequoia heard a voice from outside the cave. It was a little muffled by the storm's thickness, but it definitely sounded humanoid. He crouched behind an ice-covered stalagmite near the entrance, expecting the worst. He wondered how effective his spells would be at this altitude, in this kind of climate... then tensed as the voice split into two distinct ones as it grew closer.

Needless to say, it was a relief when he saw Lisha and the elf step into the cave. At least it was a relief to see Lisha... Sequoia was still unsure about the elf after seeing the... thing... in her eyes.

OoC: I'm blanking on dialogue.

EDIT: typos... (grumble)

[ Wednesday, November 16, 2005 22:17: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #419
IC:

Tuulentekija had no idea how long they had walked, he only knew that they had did it for long and that he hadn't had good night's sleep. My eyelids weigh a ton. I wonder if it's already morning outside , he thought. Edith was walking ahead of him with a steady pace, showing now external signs of exhaustion, but Tuulentekija could tell she was sleepy too from her tired thoughts wandering inside his head. It's a bit sad that these caves are so cold, Tuulentekija thought.If they were warm like that cavern with that hot spring, we could just lie down and sleep without even bothering to build a fire.

So, Tuulentekija and Edith continued to climb up the ancient passageways, the frozen moss making a crackling sound while they walked on it. This cave must get lots of moisture in summer days, Tuulentekija pondered. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much of this moss growing here.

Just when Tuulentekija was going to suggest a break, Edith suddenly stopped. "Crossroads", Tuulentekija heard her thoughts. "Great" he muttered and hurried beside her to take a better look.

Indeed, the tunnel they had been following split to two, moss-covered passageways, both going steeply upwards. "Do you have any idea which one we should take?" Tuulentekija asked, struggling to stay awake. "I-...I have no idea. They only difference between them is that one is going right and the other is going left..." said Edith. Tuulentekija frowned. He had no idea if Edith was trying to be sarcastic or whether she was just too tired to say, or think, anything coherent. Either way, it didn't really make a difference. He was about to suggest taking the left tunnel, when a certain stench caught his attention.

"Do you smell that?" He asked Edith. "Smell what?" her confused thoughts soon replied, answering Tuulentekija's question. "Wolves", he replied and pointed the left tunnel. "They have a lair somewhere up this tunnel. We could be better of taking the other route, but at least this one will take us out of the caverns."

"What makes you so sure?" Edith asked and peered to the tunnel. "I can't smell anything, and pardon me, I have a good sense of smell. So if this passage really lead us outside, I could feel the fresh air or at least smell the wolves you mentioned."

"It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, Miss Edith" Tuulentekija replied, "But it's the only clue we have. So take your pick."

OOC: It seems it is my turn to wait for you, Sherlock. A nice change of pace, isn't it?

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #420
OOC: My fault... my fault... I'm so sorry about that. I knew I was supposed to post but I kept forgetting about it. I was too busy.

IC: Edith ponders over which way to go and seems to be in complete indecision. She soon makes up her mind though. "I think we should try heading in the direction of the wolves, but just to be safe, I think we should be prepared in case we are attacked. Nevertheless, while you may be convinced that it might lead to the outside, I am NOT so convinced. I personally believe that this tunnel may lead further up into the mountain, which is what worries me somewhat."

"What worries you about it?" Asks Tuulentekija as he checks his weapon. "Well, if this tunnel has wolves in it, then WHY are they located further up in the mountain instead of closer to the outside? Could this possibly be another one of those shifted tunnels like we experienced back there in the icy tunnel? And if so, what might lie ahead of us? I suggest that before we try this tunnel, we leave a marker of some sort here at the fork just in case we happen to get lost somehow."

Tuulentekija nods. "Good idea. What should we use?" Edith digs through her pack and pulls out a flask of glowing liquid. "I think now would be a good time to use this. I've been saving it up for just such an occasion." She uncorks it, and soaking a small sponge with a little of it, she draws an "X" on the ground in front of the fork. Tuulentekija marvels at it. "Oh neat. A glowing dye. I remember seeing something like that before in my travels. I take it that you distilled it from various glowing herbs and mosses?"

Edith smiles at him through the mask. "Exactly. This should make it easy for us to mark our way through the tunnels ahead. And now, let's see where this wolf-scented tunnel leads us." She corks the flask, sticks it in her pocket, and leads the way once again with her glowing ring, weapon at the ready.

--------------------

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #421
The white veil of snow grew steadily thicker as they climbed up the path. Lisha put a hand on the stone to guide herself, and put the other out for balance. Another hand grabbed hers and she twisted it back reflexively, reaching for a knife with the other. She tensed to push herself forward and doslodge her assaulter, then stopped.

"Be at peace," said the elf.

Lisha loosened her grip, then let go. "Don't startle me. Here, hold on to me. Make sure your foot doesn't go over the edge."

The walked on cautiously, remaining in contact with each other and with the wall. The snowfall slowed, and before long a black spot in the landscape opened up to their left. Thankfully, they entered the cave.

"Sequoia, are you there?"

They paused.

"He didn't hear you."

Lisha shot a glance at Melora and raised her voice. "Sequoia, are you-"

"Yes, sorry, I thought you'd muttered something to Melora. It's good to see you. Both," he added hastily.

Melora nodded. "And you. Where are we?"

Sequoia shrugged. "I can't tell. Some sort of cave. There's a passage back- but of course you can see that." He stepped forward, eyes on Lisha. "Did you feel that, a few moments ago? As if the mountain itself were moving."

Lisha glanced at Melora. "Well? I've no- I've never felt a mountain move."

The elf's eyes never strayed from the passage ahead. "Orloki."

"Of course."

"We should go."

Sequoia looked sideways at the assassin. "Where would-"

"Sh." Lisha placed a hand on his arm, stopping him. They watched as Melora strode forward, directly toward the passage. With a small nod, Lisha indicated that they should follow. They set off into the cave, Lisha and Sequoia cautiously hanging back, the blizzard now raging at their backs. A gust blew a white shroud through the entrance and enveloped them in a swirling, shimmering cloud of ice that fell to the stone at their feet. They paused, then continued as Melora made her way steadily into the mouth of the cave.

[ Wednesday, November 23, 2005 17:04: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #422
OoC: LIFE!!! I GIVE YOU LIFE!!!

(coughs)

Pardon the insanity. But it was about time this got dredged up.

IC:

Sequoia walked a few paces behind the elf and Lisha, still unsure about the caves up here. As the tunnel sloped slowly upward, Sequoia sensed something was amiss. Nothing terribly blatant, as nothing was moving. But there was something that just didn't look right...

The stalactites, he realized. He was pretty certain that they shouldn't be quite that curvy, and they loked slightly off-color. In fact, they sparkled. But not in the way you would expect ice or wet rock to sparkle... it was a bit redder than that.

He couldn't see why he hadn't noticed before. After all, the caves were nearly coated in pure white ice blown in from the outside of the mountain. This can't be normal... but can the demon be causing this?

Slowing his pace for a moment, Sequoia tried to examine one of the stalactites on his left. Unsure of his vision, he leaned in closer to it, and didn't see a sparkle.

"I think I'm hallucinating." the druid said to nobody in particular.

"I think the mountain just has too much energy floating around," Lisha said, before the elf stopped walking.

"What did you see?" she asked Sequoia levelly.

"Nothing... just a few sparks. Could've just been a trick of the light. Fine, I don't know, don't look at me like that!" he answered nervously.

The elf turned back up the passage, merely muttering "Orloki".

Confused and marginally frightened, Sequoia jogged a bit to catch up with the elf and Lisha, who had both started walking again. He knew he was running out of energy, he could feel the fatigue creeping up on him. Or was it just the mountain playing tricks on his mind?

His hand checked the inner lining of his cloak, making sure that the fragments of his staff were still present. Fortunately, they were, along with his necklace. He absentmindedly fidgeted with the necklace as he walked, hoping that he could at least figure out what it did before having to face Orloki.

It'd be easier than trying to figure out anything else that's happened lately... he thought, carefully walking up the icy tunnel towards Gaea-knows-what.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #423
OOC: Ah, somebody posted! I actually forgot all about this RP. I shall post now. (By the way, is Mung still participating? I think I'm going to meet her now, her pirate character, that is. I'm sorry if it doesn't really connect to previous things that you wrote, Mung, but I couldn't find a different way to get you in)

IC:

As Filbert slowly walked down the tunnel, his sword drawn, it bacme hotter and hotter. The Uruk-Hai that accompanied him started to fly a bit slower, the heat was bothering him. In the end the beast came down and started to walk. Together they walked on, until they came at a hot spring. A small fire was placed next to it. It wasn't lit and ashes were thrown about. A small tent was placed next to it, and a small boat floated in the hot spring. As Filbert cam closer, he saw that the hot spring actually was more a "hot river" and it seem to lead somewhere far under the mountain.

The Uruk-Hai, seeing this, took off and started to search the river for any signs of life, which he found. A sound came out of the small tent. A sort of drunken soar voice. A head came out of the tent, after that the rest of the body.

"Who are you?" Filbert asked...

OOC: if Mung could please continue? Otherwise I'll make it a different ending, killing her (or him, I forgot), with permission of Mung of course.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #424
OoC:

No. Just no. No pirate-in-a-box here. How could a pirate-in-a-box get this deep into the mountain (and this high up)?! The river wouldn't take them up into the mountain, it'd take them straight down under the mountain!

I think if Mung honestly wanted in on the RP, then we would've seen another post by now. And I personally refuse to adapt the story to an inexplicable pirate-in-a-box.

Somebody else back me up here!

--------------------

Pages