The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #325
PLEASE!! I really don't get it anymore!

WHAT happened to Cain;
WHAT happened to ceacus;
WHAT happened to Orloki?

I constantly have the feeling that they are all one or something. Can somebody please clarify!?

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #326
OoC:

For clarification:

Cain has been infused with a part of Orloki's energy (falling just a bit short of his original goal), and has become part-demon. He was last seen fighting Caecus/Aerdiu as the cave collapsed, and has a small cloud of undead following him.

Caecus/Aerdiu has recently been revealed to be Orloki's brother, as well as Orloki's former servant. He has a magic sword which can only appear when he's good, and a non-magic but legendary trident. After regaining possession of his old body, Caecus/Aerdiu had given in to Orloki's influence, attacked the rest of us, and then fell to fighting with Cain. He also sprouted two extra arms, a few extra ribs, changed his hair from gold to black. He now has an exposed heart, which is apparently his weakness.

Orloki was restored to full power when Cain opened the crystal containing some of the demon's essence (though a bit of said energy was infused into Cain). After bringing Caecus/Aerdiu back under his control, he took off through the cave's ceiling, and weakened the ceiling when he passed through, triggering the cave-in. Whereabouts unknown.

Now that that's cleared up... where are you, Thralni?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #327
Filbert is at the moment somewhere else in the cave where he was dragged by a spirit that now posses him and he is having great pains in a room, surrounded by the strange soldiers he first saw at the gates. I still have to found out what exactly posses him, and therefor I think its better not meet Filbert for a while. I just found that the story would gain some drama if the purest and weakest (well, that's how I imagine him) member of the team would suddenly turn evil and fight the party. :)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #328
OOC: :eek: AHHHH!! I am trying to digest all of this. Zephyr... Orloki is your brother?! Demons have brothers, children, cats? I thought Caecus was once one of the silver elves?! The other RPs already followed the story so there is no turning back now, but still. I feel a bit disappointed. No, not a bit, very. :mad:

Could you at least change the cat part...I mean this line. "...AND MILKSHAKE WAS LIKE MY DAUGHTER! YOU KILLED THEM BOTH AND ENSLAVED BLACKRUNE! MILKSHAKE WAS A CAT! :confused: WHY DID YOU KILL HER!? SHE WAS MY ONLY FAMILY LEFT!!" This phrase in a climax of a generally serious RP is kind of a bad joke. It turned this RP into a comedy.

I really tried to take it seriously and tried to understand the suffering of your character...but then...you grew extra hands!!! Yes you did mention a weakness but, like David said (I think), this is no Nintendo boss type of weakness and strength sistem.

Anyway...I'll need some time to make sense of this. Don't kill my character or make him someone's brother please...like Ephesos said, if things get weirder I am out of this. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #329
I am sorry for complicating things, but a lot of posts would have to be edited in order to make it simpler.

And for the record, I don't think a demon killing a cat is funny, AT ALL.

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 06:35: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #330
I think it is. :D

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #331
OOC: Now I understand what happened over the last few posts, I think I will continue with Filbert.

IC:

(EDIT: Removed because what was here once is useless now)

OOC: How's this, Nazgul?

[ Thursday, December 08, 2005 06:54: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #332
OoC:

quote:
Originally written by Zephyr Tempest:

And for the record, I don't think a demon killing a cat is funny, AT ALL.
Uh... it's not, unless you've built up a fantastic amount of tension describing how a demon slaughtered/possessed your family. Ending with your cat breaks the tension, and makes the whole speech sound a bit absurd. I'd think anyone's priorities would dictate ending the speech with your son, or perhaps ending with the fact that Orloki killed you as well, when you're basically family.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #333
OOC: I think Ephesos explained what I meant better than I. Orloki killed you and your family yet it's the cat that gets the caps...when someone has killed your family and enslaved you for eternity...ah, never mind. I'm out of this anyway.

IC:

Cain could not take the beating anymore, the powers that had warped in and out of the temple were all too much for him, new sensations, new lights, new dimensions, it was all too much to absorb in such little time. It did not matter how powerful his new form was if he could not control his new talents properly. And fighting against a six armed hell spawn monstrosity was not the way to start.

It only took a few seconds for his defense to finally break, first one blade, then the next, then the other. Then...he was no more.

All his life Cain expected death at any time, he was ready to die and part of him was glad. For Cain, he had died a long time ago.

In only a few seconds Cain's powerful body was turned to demonic dust and that was it. No light at the end of the tunnel, no soul departed, no last images passed through his mind this time, no, he simply faded into oblivion.

OOC: Ok, I'm done here thankfully. Have fun.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #334
Aerdiu has, or perhaps had if anyone complies with the following post, four arms.

And here I was, hoping everyone would stick through with this RP, but no one seems to be willing to edit the RP to fix the confusion and instead they COMPLAIN AND DO NOTHING. I am very disappointed with how this is turning out. If you want change, just ASK, please!

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 18:10: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #335
OoC: Alright, moving on then...

IC:

Sequoia and Lisha bolted from the cave, back through the enchanted steel doors and into the illusion-rigged chamber. Feeling along the walls, Lisha quickly found a torch bracket and grabbed the unlit torch sitting inside it. A moment later, the cave was cast in a flickering light.

Another moment later, they heard the chamber they had run from collapse. The sound was deafening, and nearly knocked Sequoia off his feet, weakened as he already was.

"I can't believe it." Sequoia said, staring at the broken halves of his runed staff. He dejectedly slipped the pieces under his cloak, determined to repair it eventually.

"I can. And I'd be more worried about the wound on your arm." Lisha said, looking down the passage for signs of the others.

Mutely nodding his head, Sequoia tore off a bit of his traveling cloak and tied it tightly around his savaged arm. It still had a bit of strength in it, but not much. Perhaps I can still heal it... he thought dejectedly. He knew that the odds were bad without his staff, but he could always try.

He began muttering a spell, closing his eyes and trying to focus as much as humanly possible.

Lisha turned to see the druid concentrating. "What are you doing? Your staff is broken!" she practically yelled.

I know that, he thought, finishing the spell. Upon opening his eyes, and unwrapping the wound, he saw that it had stopped bleeding, and looked a small step closer to a full heal. Granted, it still looked fairly bad (the slash extended most of the way down his left arm), and the strength was still mostly gone from it, but Sequoia was confident it would be fine eventually. Well, that could've been worse, I suppose...

Lisha looked fairly surprised. "I thought you couldn't cast spells withouth the staff!"

"Honestly, so did I. I never practiced without it. Still, it's far from my normal ability," the druid said quietly.

"Try casting some light." Lisha replied, clearly eager to get rid of the torch.

Brother Sequoia focused again, muttering the syllables he had used so often in this mountain. When he finished, his hands began to glow with a bright white light. A few seconds later, they dimmed again.

"Try concentrating a bit more." Lisha said.

Far from confident, Sequoia closed his eyes and focused his mind again. However, his mind remained locked on the fact that they were stuck in this dismal mountain, currently running from cave collapses, unnatural monstrosities and demented undead. He remembered just how far from the rest of the world they were, just how insane this entire trip was. He wondered if he would ever see sunlight again.

Sunlight... his mind drifted back to the long days he had spent hiking through the forests by the coast of the continent. Bright sunny days, with the druid's traveling cloak absorbing the bright, warm rays of light. If only...

He finished the spell, certain it would fizzle. However, when he opened his eyes, he saw the golden rays of light his hands now radiated into the cavern. Just like sunlight.

Both of them sat there stunned for a minute.

"Well, that's better," the druid said plainly, as the two turned their attention to the sounds of approaching footsteps.

OoC: I still stand by my decision to leave if the plot gets mangled again, but I'll gladly stick it out until that point.

So let's get on with it then...

EDIT: Typos and a discontinuity with Sequoia's wound. Fixed 'em.

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 19:09: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #336
The ceiling had collapsed. Not even Aerdiu, with all of his might, could stop from collapsing. The spirit of Caecus rose from the rubble, free from Orloki's taint.

He looked back, and remembered all of the pain Orloki had caused him over the years. True brothers would never cause so much harm to their kin. Orloki was the one thing in life that always made me miserable. He is not my true brother. We may have come into exsistence in a way that would cause most to see us as brothers, but Orloki never played the part of a brother, he pondered. A horrible cold covered him, causing him to shiver. The pain of death. I almost cherished the tainted moments without it. he thought. But he suddenly felt a warmth within him.

As he perceived himself, he saw that he was clearly visible. He floated over to a clear spot, and felt himself get anchored to the physical world. He was still a spirit, but he still exsisted in the physical world. He didn't feel any of the strength he once had, but he still felt a sort of power surge through him. I remember this power. It's MY power he thought as a smile found its way onto his ethereal face. He wiggled his fingers as small sparks jumped between them. His physical powers, the power of his tainted self, were gone...but his priestly powers, the power of his good side, had found its way to him again.

He looked back at the rubble, and saw some rubble shift about. The body lives. The Tainted Aerdiu
will obviously hunt me down.
Caecus thought. He felt himself become even closer to the physical world as his spirit became almost completely solid, and the feeling of life flowed through him.
He found a small space and crawled through it, hoping to escape his evil half, smiling as the he realized that he no longer felt the desire to have a body.

The world suddenly became black to him as he became too anchored to the physical world to perceive. He snapped his fingers, and a small light flickered between them. He kept snapping them, and a solid, white flame appeared, and it floated before him. I am out of practice. My priestly powers won't help me as much as they once did. he realized. Being able to see with this new source of light, he continued struggling through the small hole.

OOC: For those of you who are confused, I still wish to participate in this RP, and the Evil Aerdiu and the Good Caecus are now completely seperate. I hope that I may still be in the RP.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #337
OOC: May I know who still participates and who doesn't? And what exactly is the problem? id its just the line about killing the cat, Zephyr can just remove! I really don't see the problem.

BTW, Zephyr, was this your first time? It was mine. I made also "such mistakes" although I can't really seem to identify your mistakes.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #338
I myself certainly don't like the turn this RP has taken. Not at all. But before I do anything, I too want to know who are still in. And Zephyr, could you please email the explanation of your character's and Órloki's relation to me. I definetly want to tie some loose ends.

I also request that others won't post any IC before I am done. In other words, IC under construction.

Hoping for quick replies, FF.

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 23:09: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #339
Well, I am still in, and Filbert is possesed by the spirit of his father, but I may change that if I think of anything that is better.

FF, what exactly is it you don't like? This question also to other ones who still participate.

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #340
OOC: I'm in.

Zephyr, I don't think you have any comprehension whatsoever of the term "overpowered", and this is a problem. I realize you want to be in the spotlight, you want everyone to focus on you and you alone, but sometimes it's more fun to wait in the shadows, maybe too weak to do anything else, but willing to contribute in your own way. Look at Sequoia, for instance. He has no demonic heritage, he's not some all-mighty king of the druids, and he has no incredible strength; and yet he is by no means weak and inconsequantial, and if you think about it, he's had a far more positive influence on this RP than Aerdiu or Caecus ever could, the way you've made them. You wouldn't have to impose flaws on your characters if they were made this way in the first place; too weak to need flaws, but too strong to be swept aside.

Zephyr, I think your problem is that you think of RPing as a game. Your goal is to win. But RPing and RPGing are two completely different things. RPing is a form of writing, like a novel, a short story, or even a poem. Do you try to win a haiku? Do you try to make the best character of all in a short story? No; you write, you create images and tell tales with words, and you strive to entertain rather than defeat the reader. It's too late now, of course, and you've already lost us one of our most promising characters, but please, sometime between now and the next RP you take part in, I want you to learn to see RPing as writing rather than gaming. Create a boring, ordinary human character, but make him or her real. Of course a demon can change the course of fantasy history in a big, flashy way; we all know that, we can all imagine it. But who expects Joe Smith, the village carpenter, to accompany a group of foolish, idealistic, money-seeking adventurers into a dragon's lair and, with his subtle expertise on doors, save them all? That is the true test of RPing greatness. With no limits, exceeding your limits is no problem; but the higher you set your limits, the higher you must shoot to overcome them, and though your character may have less to show for it, your writing ability will not.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #341
OoC:

I must agree here. I was really looking forward to seeing how Filbert and Cain worked things out (read: tried to kill each other), and now we're down one very complex character.

A nice example of the whole overpowered thing was back when Sequoia dropped a boulder on Caecus, and he initially (before the edited version) shrugged it off and pursued him. I was clearly saying in my posts "time for a bit of solo traveling," but you tried to hunt me down anyway, ignoring the fact that being crushed by a boulder would logically slow anybody down, if not stop them for a while. I honestly thought you were going to try and kill me off for a minute. Not cool.

And I did realize that it was just four arms, for the record. I don't know where the other two came up.

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 09:58: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #342
Yes, I was also dissappointd to see Cain died befor i could kill him :) . I was so looking forward to the moment Filbert, filled with the intense fury of himself AND his father, would try to slay the half demonic Cain. Can't we do as if the previous posts weren't posted and continue from thpoint Filbert awoke with his father posseing him or something? (No offense Zephyr).

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #343
Fool! Fool! Fool! Her blood was pumping in her brain from the running, singing in her ears. Where was she going? The rocks were falling behind her. Rumbling thunder was coming from below her, and the sounds of fighting from somewhere she couldn't identify.

She should have split long ago. Should have entered the steel gate in Verwey. Should have left the exorcising to the goodie-goodies.

Running alone for the third time this week. Only this time, she was running away, not following.

What happened in the hall back there? Lisha looked at me and then ran as if she had seen a ghost. Melora's face was a startling sight, to be sure. But they had been travelling together for a long time now; what could have shocked Lisha out of her wits like this?

Right now, she had other problems to worry about. Like the fact that the Guardian was loose.

That is what comes from exploring with morons. She corrected herself. She hadn't been travelling with morons; they had met the morons by chance and nobody's choice.

Subtlety. A vault as ancient as time, and the human treasure-hunters had practically rung the front door bell with their racket. Is that how humans explore? Run ahead, fight what comes out and see if anyone is left alive when the dust settles? It seems wasteful. But then, they do live so very briefly...

Melora slowed down to a steady jog, then a walk. Her blood was still pumping, but she could breathe and think clearly. Trying to concentrate in spite of the adrenaline, she summoned up what she knew of Guardians.

quote:

Sentient, demonic beings allegedly once used to protect treasure vaults. Self-sustaining, insubstantial.

Thought to be able to possess other beings at will, similar to the Mystran, but more obvious physical symptoms.

Can survive indefinitely without attention, but likely grows volatile after long periods of solitude.
Orlokí. Ha. She saw it now.

What creature it had been that King Albert's men had stumbled upon, sleeping in the ice, would remain unfathomed. Some legendary snowman? A cave bear? An ursag, even? Whichever it was, Orlokí had used it as a voice.

---

But where was it now? If it was truly a Guardian, and not some ordinary demon, then the three dimensions meant nothing to it. It could be anywhere and everywhere at once within the mountain. Nobody was safe from its possession.

A lump formed in her stomach.

What had Lisha seen in her face?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #344
I had known before that RPing is writing a story, not playing a game! I know what overpowered is! You have just jumped to a conclusion about me, and you are wrong. I have NEVER gotten any chance to practice writing stories such as my part of an RP. What you wrote has seriously offended me, in short.

I'm out!

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #345
Thank Goodness.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #346
quote:
Originally written by Atrus:

Thank Goodness.
You are definentely not helping.

I'd be glad to get away from people who are not willing to show kindness.

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 14:50: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #347
OoC:

I hate to break it to you, but keeping track of Caecus' spirit(s)/reincarnations/arsenal/abilities has been getting annoying. You kept making your character more complex, and forcing bits of the plot to fit him, and that got in the way of everybody else, who just wanted to tell a good story.

And personally, I thought you would've gotten some insight from reading everyone else's posts. Instead, it seemed like your character got more unbalanced as you went, almost as if you were un-practicing.

You need to simplify a bit, and pay a bit more attention to others' characters... maybe next time.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, you did a fairly good job of dropping the Evil Caecus character. Provided that you honestly take our advice to heart, I would personally like to see you finish out the RP (or at least give your character a proper sendoff).

Anyway, it would be interesting to see a Caecus/Aerdiu showdown. Just don't warp the plot to fit it.

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 16:51: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #348
If you had actually known my history on these boards, you would know that I only wanted my character to be involved. That was why I did things that seemed to warp the plot and attempt to draw attention to my character.

If you wish...I can edit the 'dramatic' encounter between Caecus and Orloki to make it less strange.

[ Monday, October 10, 2005 19:13: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #349
His post was dead on, Zephyr, and I was here long before you. You've warped to your own ends almost every RP you've been in. Ephesos' inexperience is all that's keeping him from being more frustrated than he already is, actually; he's only seen it happen to one RP as opposed to almost every one on Spiderweb for the past several years.

We know you want your character to be involved. We all want our characters to be involved. That's not the problem. It's the way you go about it that's the problem. You had it at first, and I was pleasantly surprised, but when you made Aerdiu a demon and whipped out the dead kitty, it was old Zephyr all over again.

Don't bother editing that post. It's too late now; what's done is done. As Ephesos said, dropping Evil Caecus was a good move; if you plan to continue in that vein, I'd be glad to see you stay. But Caecus is already a central character, he's irreversibly involved; the last thing you need to do at this point is get him more involved.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages