The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #300
OoC: Pardon my error. My post has been changed to reflect that information.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #301
Subtle, Melora admonished herself. Perhaps the long separation from her people had indeed worn her instincts - she was far less averse to displaying emotional reactions than she should be. Her expression when she mentioned the doors just now must have been at least noticed, if not read, by Sequoia.

Still, these doors sounded tremendously interesting.

Steel. Like the passage back in Verwey. Was the design similar? Melora remembered now how wholly unnatural it was for elven architecture to build with steel. At the time, she had shrugged it off as a measure of protection. But if the Verweyans didn't build this door or the other one, then who did? Humans? This "King Albert" myth was no less ridiculous now than it had been when she had first heard it. An ancient mythical civilization, on the other hand, like the one she was searching for... a wry expression would have crept to her face, had she been a human.

Melora also realized they were travelling ever so slightly upwards. It didn't make sense. Any treasure would be buried within the roots of the mountain, not on top of it. But perhaps a stairway would--

Her thoughts were interrupted, for the party of five had just arrived at the doors.

An imposing sight. The wide passage in which the army - or the army illusion - had passed them opened up even further through a wide, roughly hewn stone archway. The hall behind it was so vast that its far ends and the ceiling were lost in the dim glow of the torch. But through the center, there ran rows of magically líghted pillars. Wrought with great skill and power, she realized as she felt again the constant but weak pull of the self-recharging spell.

But the most imposing part of the hall was the grand gateway that lay opposite them. It must be well over twelve fores high, and nine wide. The stainless metal was shimmering oddly in the torchlight.

Just steel? Or... "My word!" with a shout of surprise Melora took off to examine the doors more closely.

[ Tuesday, October 04, 2005 02:32: Message edited by: Aran-something. ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #302
They were at the gate. Again. Something is different , Tuulentekija thought when the elf sprinted to the door. Just a blink of eye later, the gate suddenly swung open, the surprised elf barely managing to jump out of the way. Tuulentekija froze as he heard the sudden wave of sounds, coming from the spce behind the gate. "I'm coming", Tuulentekija heard someone shout. It took him some time to realize that the shouter was Filbert. He could also hear more distant voice of something crumbling down.

"What are you waiting for?" Tuulentekija shouted and started stumbling forwards. "Run already. Filbert and Cain can be in serious danger!" Others, who had meanwhile stared the suddenly opened gate, snapped out of it and sprinted towards to the passage way behind doors. Tuulentekija did his best to keep up with them, but he couldn't with his burned feet and so was left behind. "Perkele!" He cursed, when he sensed a sudden presence in his mind.

First Tuulentekija thought it was Edith, but then he realized that the voice was much, much weaker, like a whisper. And it sounded like...

Tuulentekija swung around and drew his sword. His eyes had spread wide open of fear and cold sweat was flowing down his back. The hall they had come from had become completely dark despite the magical pillars. The only source of light was his own, small lantern, but somehow Tuulentekija wasn't so confident that it could pierce the darkness that was aproaching.

Suddenly the lantern's light went out and Tuulentekija was left into total darkness. The whispering grew louder, but Tuulentekija couldn't sense any living creatures around him. Then, suddenly, the whispering stopped and the lights started returning to the great hall. Whatever that was, we just let it in Tuulentekija thought when he put his sword away and lit his lantern again. He heard sounds of fighting from the direction others had went, and started slowly stumbling that way...

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #303
OOC: Sorry for the delay, second year at Uni is nothing like first year. Enough said.

IC:

Cain didn't notice Filbert as he entered the huge hall. His eyes were fixed on the object before him. At the very end of the temple's main chamber, right behind the imposing dark altar, a large crystal capsule illuminated the whole chamber in an unnatural red glow. It hummed constantly, the power within it represented by a small flame dancing wildly inside. The flame also danced wildly in Cain's fixed eyes.

It's true, the legend . The eye…the Eye of Orloki. Finally, after all these years.

---

Cain's mind drifted away, the world stopped and he was pulled back in time to his days as a priest, not the usual priest, but a priest of the Order, the Order of the Sacred Artefacts. He saw Elisa, a lost love and a forbidden love between priests of the Order. He saw high priest Medor's chamber; he saw Elisa and high priest Medor…together.

His mind drifted further back to his days as an acolyte. A loyal servant and pawn, he was trained to fight, assassinate and steal in the name of the order, in the name of their frantic quest to hold every powerful artefact in the known and unknown world no matter the cost. He had done horrible things to obtain many of them, to save man from his own ruin, or so the Order said. In the end it was the Order that brought ruin upon Cain and Cain brought ruin to the Order.

Cain had earned the title of priest, a man devoted only to the Order, nothing, not even love, could get in the way. He had abandoned Elisa, she too took the vow of priesthood. A few years passed and high priest Medor received both Cain and Elisa in his inner circle. There Cain learned of the demon lord Orloki and his fight with the king of a distant land across the great sea.

Cain learned of how the kingdom lost its treasure, but also how the kingdom took a part of Orloki in a decisive battle, high up in the Mountain of Shadows. He learned how the most powerful wizards of the kingdom built a crystal case to trap the demon forever. They failed and Orloki escaped, but part of the demon's power and essence was forever trapped in the crystal later known in legend as the Eye of Orloki. It was said that if a mortal man ever opened the case and entered it, he would be imbued with the powers of demon kind and gain immortality. It was also said the kingdom kept a key, the only key that could open the crystal prison. Obviously, the Order had obtained it and high priest Medor carried it at all times around his neck.

Neck. Kiss. Elisa. Medor.

His memories flashed in and out once again as if trying to forget. He had long ago abandoned the path of the Order, not only that, but he had betrayed them.

No, they deserved it. He deserved it, she deserved... they betrayed me!

He saw his hands covered in blood; he saw the body of high priest Medor and priestess Elisa…Elisa. He saw their shocked faces as they were slain together. He saw the key hanging from Medor's neck. He took it.

---

He held it.

Cain's mind came back; his hand was tightly holding the key around his neck. It was warm to the touch.

There was no time to stand and watch idly though, as Filbert was not as captivated by the artefact as Cain was. Indeed, Filbert was more worried about the huge lizard that could attack them from behind at any moment and the group of armoured undead standing between them and the altar. Apparently they had interrupted some sort of ceremony that would help them break the crystal open, it was not working and to add to the undead's frustration, two humans had just interrupted their final chant. They were angry.

"Cain! We must get out of here!" Filbert shouted to no avail. Cain was not going to leave. Not this close to the artefact. No living, dead or undead would stop him now, not this close.

No, not this close.

Cain dropped his backpack and retrieved a flask. He drank it. Everything around him slowed to a crawl, he drew his toothed dagger with one hand and held five throwing daggers with the other.

"Filbert!" Cain shouted, his eyes fixed on the Eye of Orloki. "If I get to that crystal case, these chanting undead will pose no threat to us. Cover me!"

Without waiting for a reply Cain ran towards the altar. But he was not alone, someone had entered the cave, something was also running towards the crystal, a powerful being had felt the presence of the key and it's possessor.

OOC: Only a love story gone wrong could turn Cain into a heartless crazy bastard so there…

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #304
Caecus gripped Antiquus, the First Trident, in his hands very tightly. He struck the beast's head with Antiquus, and it stumbled back and let go of him. Caecus charged and jab at the thing's heart, which was beating hideously under its skin. Antiquus failed to pierce its skin, and the monster struck Caecus. Suddenly, Caecus couldn't think or move or perceive! This lasted only for a second, and Caecus realized something.

This thing was mutated...for the sole purpose of weakening me! Seeing an opening, Caecus shoved his trident into the creature's mouth, causing it to gag and twitch. Caecus pushed it in furthur, piercing its bone and brain. It collapsed, and Caecus removed his trident from the beast's skull.

His heart was pumping rapidly and sweat trickled down his face. But soon, Caecus reazlized that he had no body, and thus no heart or face. He opened his eyes, and for the first time in 12 years, he could see. But then he shut his eyes, and found that he couldn't open them. It was a hallucination, brought about by the beast's strike. He was suddenly struck by a vision of someone charging towards a crystal case, and he heard the runes on his swords whisper to him.

"Kill the intruder, take the case and give it to Orloki, and you may have your body again," they whispered. For the first time in a while, Caecus felt temptation claw at him. "No," Caecus said, "I will not give in to temptation. I shall slay Orloki and finally be at peace!" But he knew, deep down, that the creature had served its purpose.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #305
Cain ran into the hall, full of undead. Before Filbert could anything, the undead stood up and ran to Cain.... and himself.

"Cain! Are you insane!!"

"AAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"

Filbert lay on the floor, his hands bleeding, his eyes closed. He felt the presence of a lizard. Big and black with syumpy feet.

If only, the wand...

It lay to far from him to reach. He tried to crawl, but his strength had left him. He still had the dagger though. Its blade was shining in the light of the crystal. His eyes closed. Then, it happened. it started with his memories of... Father... He had a sword... The sword of the undead, gis father called it. The sword of the undead, Filbert repeated in his mind. He thought again about his father, ruins all around him, strange dark figures, wearing robes and helmets... He began to remember it. They all had that badge... What was it... The badge... Filbert thought.

And there it was. The badge. It lay on the ground, just two meters from his hads. He opened his eyes, and angre took him over. Cain... How dare he betray me... CAIN!!!!!! Suddenly, new energy filled his body. I still remember it clearly. It was the sword they wanted. The order of the sacred item. Yes. How dare he betray me.

"CAIN!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! CAIN!!!"

Cain stopped running and hacking in on the undead, and looked behind him. Filbert. he killed the lizard in his intense fury. he stood up from the ground, a white light... around his hand, like a giant aura. he slowly begain walking.

Cain... Yes, now I remember it...

He walked to the wand and picked it up. "ENOUGH OF THIS!" Filbert shouted with an unusual low groal, like a demon... "Oh god... What now..." Cain whispered.

Filbert started to run, "killing"more undead on his way. He shot. A big fireball, red hot and dangerous, flew over to cain, who missed him, but managed to hit the crystal. It fell from the altar it was standing on. It didn't brake. It just lay there.

"Cain! It was you. In my hometown... my father, the sword of the undead... fire, ruins, destruction... and you. Cain. yes. It was you."

A blind fury once more took Filbert over. He ran to Cain, with his small dagger in one hand, the wand in the other.

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 00:15: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #306
OOC: This is getting good...

IC:

Cain turned to the enraged Filbert, his words triggered his memory once again, a burning village, a middle aged man holding the Sword of the Undead and a scared child staring behind a burning barn. He looked at Filbert once more, he had seen an expression like that before, but this was different, something else was acting inside him, something was giving him that unholy aura and strength. No, that was more than anger, the undead did not attempt to block or attack his charge.

Orloki.

Cain turned his back to the possessed Filbert and stared at the two last undead standing between him and the long sought Eye of Orloki. They were remarkably familiar with the undead he had met at the village, heavily armored and emanating unholy power, blinded to obey Orloki forever. But they were slow; everything was slow to Cain, the potion giving him unnatural speed.

I'm faster, I can outrun them.

Without a second thought Cain continued his run to the altar, he threw one of his daggers to Filbert, the flashing silver dagger struck deep in Filberts right shoulder, but his charge was not deterred, in fact, he aimed his wand at Cain once more.

Cain turned and ran towards the last two undead sentinels, the unholy creatures brandishing their powerful weapons, charged towards Cain, fearless, restless.

Cain threw two daggers at them; they hit their targets, both perfect headshots. The amour was too powerful though, the missiles simply bounced against the heavy helmets. The sentinels barely staggered back at the impact. That was enough for Cain, the window of opportunity was now open.

With unnatural speed Cain passed between the staggering undead. Cain reached the stairs to the altar.

There it was.

The Eye of Orloki.

Cain eagerly reached for the key and…

Fire.

A burning sensation reached his back pushing him with mighty force against the platform stairs.

Filbert. You bastard.

The flames engulfed his body. Cain screamed in horrific pain. For a moment everyone stared at the incinerated human. Even Filbert, or Orloki if he was still there, stood motionless.

But Cain was not over yet, the heat, the pain, they were suffocating his very soul, but he would not die, no, not this close. Not after all he had done and gone through.

"Nooooooooo!" Cain screamed in agonizing fury.

He pulled the burning key from his chest, not that he noticed, Cain was burning all over by then. He stumbled towards the crystal case, now slowly balancing itself on the platform floor.

Suddenly an otherworldly voice screamed out in the caves. "Noooooo! Stop the moooortaaaal!".

The undead immediately reacted to his command and ran towards Cain. Filbert was pushed on his back with incredible force, as if something had just propelled itself out of his own chest. Something had indeed left him; someone had soared out of him towards Cain.

Cain inserted the small key in its respective cavity. The crystal case slowly opened. Cain was now completely engulfed by the flames, even his eyes reflected the small dancing flame in the opened case.

Without anymore strength in his scorched body, Cain fell into the case.

An Explotion. Flash of light. Heat wave.

Everyone staggered back.

Everyone? No, someone was still moving, it was that presence Tuulentekija had felt as he entered the cave, if was the fury that fueled Filbert, it was creature that held the mountain and moved the undead minions. It was the shadow of the mountain. It was Orloki.

Cain did not feel Orloki as he joined him in the crystal case, but he felt something a second later. The Eye of Orloki shattered, a huge force pushed him once again, out of the platform and towards the temple walls, his bulk of burned flesh smashing itself against the walls and falling in a dark corner of the temple.

He received a last image, smashed floor, broken pieces of wood and amour, undead feet and many human feet entering the hall.

He perceived a last horrible sound echoing through the cave with mighty force. "Finaaaaaly! I aaam ooooone!".

A last feeling as he closed his eyes.

Darkness. Was he dead? No, something had entered him, a small part of the demon's flame, but enough to change him forever. He was not dead, far from it, as a matter of fact, Cain never felt better. Fire became as water, the burning heat as wind, his skin as leather, darkness as light, heart as stone and soul… no, there was no soul.

Something had changed him.

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 01:35: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #307
quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

OOC: IC UNDER CONSTRUCTION; PLEASE WAIT!!
I hope you don't mind what I did, i just want to make everything very suspenseful. But I don't want that we both die. That's up to you how that will happen (or up to me).

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #308
OOC: Thralni, your post was great. We didn't die, well...part of Cain did die.

BTW, If you think Orloki has arrived too soon for the RP you guys can make him go higher up the mountain or something. Maybe he needs to respawn his physical form where he last died so his new spirit would be soaring higher up the mountain. Then again you can just make the final fight here and now. It's up to you. Also, if you make Orloki leave, you may leave someone powerful behind, maybe Orloki's right hand, that necromancer guy. Can't remember his name, it was that guy who built the undead's like Caecus, it would be interesting to see him fight Zephir's character.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #309
Filbert, now sitting on the ground, was still furious, but suddenly became a lot more tired. he lay down and closed his eyes, when suddenly he heard footsteps. There was something in the caves, he could even feel it...

Then he sat up again and was about to warn Cain, when there was an explosion. Everything became black in front of his eyes. he fell to the floor, nor feeling anything anymore. Everything hurt. He felt something by his hand, as if he was being pulled away... He felt that he was moving. he slowly opened his eyes... But nothing was holding him. This was strange, and the blind fury he had just felt, became panic.

What is happening here! Why am I moving!

He heard a voice, a demonic voice, but it calmed him down. "Do not fear, mortal. Do not fear." The voice repeated itself a few times. Filbert again closed his eyes, and then was taken with suffocating pain.

"No! Nooooo! What id happening!!! HELP! CAIN!! TUULENT... AAAAHHH!!!"

He was pushed back with a mighty force.

---

He openend his eyes and slowly the blurry figures became more substantial.

What... where am I....

Then he saw people moving about, it were soldiers, although he didn't recognise them at first. Then realized the soldier looked familiar, it almost looked like he wore the soldier uniform they wore back in his home town. One soldier came into the room. They looked at each other. The soldier didn't attack him though... What was happening here. Filbert slowly began to speak:

"What..."

He stooped speaking. His voice, it was different. It was low, and harsch. he felt his strength was back, and he stood up.

The soldier walked towards him: "Mighty leader, mighty lord, tell us what to do."

Mighty lord? Filbert thought.

"Yes. We are the mighty lord. FEEL the power. We SHARE the agony, caused by Cain." A voice said.

"Cain, agony... FATHER!!!"

Filbert put his hands on his ears and sat down. What happened to him!?

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 00:50: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #310
OOC: :confused: Thralni, did you say you were possessed by Orloki again? Why would Orloki do that? He just got the other part of him from the crystal case! He should have his own physical form now! He doesn't need to posses anyone!...It would help if you modified your post so that it doesn't conflict with my earlier posts. Thanks.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #311
No, its not Orloki this time. its somebody else with great power, who's form and such I still have to think about, but it can be a righthand or something of Orloki. I'll have to think about this. Others can just continue with the story, but it maybe better if Filbert isn't met for some time, until I myself have thought about who possesed him.

Is this alright Nazgul?

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #312
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

No, its not Orloki this time. its somebody else with great power, who's form and such I still have to think about, but it can be a righthand or something of Orloki. I'll have to think about this. Others can just continue with the story, but it maybe better if Filbert isn't met for some time, until I myself have thought about who possesed him.

Is this alright Nazgul?

EDIT: I only don't quite understand what happened to orloki? Is all of Orloki in Cain, so we would have to kill Cain, or is orloki somewhere else in the mountain (not in Filbert and not in cain).

EDIT2: Why do I always manage to hit the quote button instead of the edit button? :rolleyes:

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 05:28: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #313
Suddenly there was a screaming pain in Caecus' mind!

YYYOOOUUU WILL SERVE ME!! it screamed.

Caecus realized it was Orloki! Orloki was whole again! Orloki also had full access to Caecus' mind, so he never had to rely on his Runeswords again.

Yes, I AM whole, Aerdiu. You were supposed to be my servant. Now that I am whole, YOU WILL!

Caecus felt an outside force moving his legs! He ran faster and faster, and he saw many mutants, but instead of attacking him, they bowed to him! He found himself inside the temple that once held the Eye of Orloki, where the full Orloki now stands...or floats, whichever he prefers. Caecus was in the air, bound by hostile magics. A body shot out of the ground, its hair golden, its body powerful and its flesh and clothing preserved.

"Now, Caecus will be Aerdiu once more! But he will not be Aerdiu, the Paladin...but he shall be AERDIU, THE DEATHKNIGHT!" said a voice in everyones' minds. Caecus' armor shattered, and his spirit glowed as it neared its old body. Suprisingly, the body looked up, with an empty look in its eyes! Caecus knew that merging with his body could make or break his quest to destroy Orloki.

Caecus merged with his body, becoming Aerdiu once again! He dropped Antiquus and it disappeared, returning to whence it came. But Orloki overlooked one thing...

"AUREAS! I SUMMON THEE! ORLOKI IS NEAR AND I NEED YE!" Aerdiu/Caecus yelled at the top of his voice.
a golden glow as well as a black one surrounded Aerdiu/Caecus. The golden one being his inner strength shielding him from corruption, and Orloki's taint trying to poison his mind. Buy a scimitar slowly appeared in Aerdiu's/Caecus' hands, glowing and humming happily.

"Orloki...you overlooked one thing!" Aerdiu/Caecus said.

"And what would that be?" Orloki hissed.

"I WAS YOUR BROTHER!" Aerdiu/Caecus shouted as he attacked Orloki, "BLACKRUNE WAS MY SON! AND MILKSHAKE WAS LIKE MY DAUGHTER! YOU KILLED THEM BOTH AND ENSLAVED BLACKRUNE! MILKSHAKE WAS A CAT! WHY DID YOU KILL HER!? SHE WAS MY ONLY FAMILY LEFT!! I swore on the death of my family that I would kill you, 'brother', so I will! NO MATTER THE COST!" Aerdiu/Caecus slashed at Orloki once again.

"But you overlooked something, Aerdiu. You are angry. I have more control over you when you are angry! Your son does shadowmagic for me, and you shall be the top general for my armies! But...perhaps what was once Cain would like to be just that, too. Perhaps you two should fight to the 'death'!" Orloki barked.

As Aerdiu's anger grew, so did the black aura. Aureas was whimpering and whining as the golden aura started shrinking. Aureas faded away from view as the golden aura gave way! Aerdiu screamed in pain as Orloki gained power over him!

His golden hair, a sign that he almost overcame the curse, turned a dingy black. His blue eyes turned a twisted shade of red. His pale yet glowing skin turned a grayish color as his once proud freedom vanished. Aerdiu, the Deathknight stood with his head bowed as the true Aerdiu struggled for freedom inside. The Runeswords reappeared in a flash, but this time there were four. The corrupted Aerdiu shuddered, and pounced at Orloki! Suprisingly, he grew an extra pair of arms and started beating on Orloki! Orloki screamed in pain as his own servant started hitting him. Orloki rose to the ceiling, out of Aerdiu's reach. Aerdiu was on his knees with his head bowed, trying to sort out whether he should serve Orloki or not.

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 17:38: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #314
OoC: I think I speak for everyone when I say... "Huh?" I don't think we're in final showdown territory yet. We're still too far down the mountain. And Zephyr, just a word of advice: the whole story shouldn't be built around a single character. And how is Caecus/Aerdiu (I can't keep the names straight anymore... you have the same name as the sword?) Orloki's brother?! That would imply that Caecus/Aerdiu is a demon as well...

In short, mental overload! Must... clarify... plot!

IC:

Brother Sequoia ran into the cavern, flanked by Lisha, the elf, and Edith. Tuulentekija followed a ways back, the druid saw as he glanced back for a second. Hm... I thought that entrance was better-lit than that.

When they arrived in the center of the cave, all five of them stopped dead in their tracks. A scene of unimaginable chaos had unfolded before them: a cluster of undead warriors standing by a faded and cracked altar, all backlit by someone who radiated an intense red light. A man with raven-black hair and an extra set of arms lay kneeling on the ground and clutching his head with all four arms.

Then, they saw it: the immense demonic form which could be nothing other than Orloki. Its twisted form almost looked humanoid, but it kept changing shape. The demon's flesh warped constantly, taking on new forms with every glance. The whole form glowed blood-red, casting the demonic light around the entire cave. Extra arms and legs appeared at random, and the demon's wings split and reformed several times a minute.

This can't be happening, it's too bizarre. Nature can't allow for this sort of thing... he thought, almost passing out from shock.

Beside him, Edith and Tuulentekija stood stunned. Tuulentekija called out two names, sounding like "Filbert and Cain," and Edith simply stood rooted to the spot.

"Cain's over there... glowing." Edith said, drawing surprised looks from Lisha, Sequoia and Tuulentekija. The elf seemed nonplussed.

"He has taken the form of a demon," the elf said bluntly. "I don't know how, but the form is unmistakeable."

The booming voice of the demon Orloki filled the room. At least, Sequoia assumed it was Orloki, due to the ferocity, evil-ness, and sheer volume of the voice. "Aerdiu, you shall defend me against these intruders!"

And with that, Orloki launched up into the highest reaches of the cave, and passed through the ceiling. As the last mutating inches of his form passed through the solid rock, a crack formed in the ceiling, slowly spreading out.

"Uh... we have a problem." Sequoia said, pointing up towards the ceiling. "I'd say we have twenty minutes at the most before the whole gallery caves in on us."

"That's not our only problem." Lisha said, motioning towards the four-armed black-haired man approaching them. His eyes glowed red, and four swords suddenly appeard in his arms as he let loose with an unearthly wail. And if that wasn't enough, the man Edith identified as Cain was marching purposefully towards them, with a group of undead following close behind.

Lisha, the elf, and Tuulentekija drew blades. Edith began muttering some sort of spell. Sequoia paused for a minute to grasp the necklace around his neck. I hope this still brings me some luck... he thought, drawing his staff and beginning a spell.

Seconds later, Lisha and the elf had flung daggers at the undead and the demonic Cain, and Brother Sequoia had fired a bolt of holy nature magic at the undead. The man with four arms and Cain both charged, undead warriors trailing in their wake.

One easy fight is all I ask... Sequoia thought, preparing a blinding sunlight spell.

OoC: And thus, the battle is joined. I really don't want to have to drop a rock on anyone...

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #315
A pebble struck Lisha's hood and fell to the stone below, unnoticed. She drew dagger after dagger, desperately dipping each destined for Cain and Aerdiu in a poison she hoped would run through their veins and slow their progress, but the advancing host showed no signs of slowing. Another undead warrior fell to their fury; its companion stepped over the shattered armor without pause. A rumble shook the cave and Lisha spared a glance upward. The crack continued to grow.

"Sequoia - twenty minutes - very optimistic-"

"Leave here!"

A pained shout snatched her attention back to the druid as the enhanced assassin landed a blow on his upraised staff. The wood bent and cracked, its reddish hue fading rapidly. Sequoia's horrified expression turned to one of terror as the unhuman raised his blade again and brought it down violently. Lisha screamed as it made contact with his left arm. The druid fell to the ground, Cain's blade at his throat.

Without his staff, he's useless.

Lisha drew a curved knife and dragged it through a poison pouch.

Orloki is not my concern. I know what there is to know, and that is all the Grand Lord needs of me.

She raced toward the neo-demon, her arm cocked.

But I have no purpose without him.

The dagger flew through the air, planting itself firmly in Cain's neck. He jerked back, raising his blade as Sequoia rolled away. Melora threw herself at the undead mass, slicing and hacking faster than any natural elf possibly could, but Lisha saw only two things: the druid rising painfully to his feet two yards off, and the sickly radiant man before her.

"You cannot harm me."

"Leave him," she hissed. "Leave him."

"I am invincible."

She laughed, a tired, desperate laugh. Melora, locked in combat with the four-armed man, stumbled an broken armor and fell against him. He staggered back, a knife in his shoulder, swinging wildly for her throat. Lisha, seeing her at last, hurled at dagger at his back. It fell to the ground, but provided a distraction sufficient for the elf to right herself.

"I have freed the Eye, and it is in me," intoned the assassin. "Orloki's power is mine."

Aerdiu snarled. "It is mine." His blades whistled through the air, their vicious whispering now barely audible to all.

Cain laughed, advancing relentlessly on Lisha. "I completed him, and he is in me."

Aerdiu turned on him as Melora became preoccupied with the undead. His golden hair fell flat against his cloak, framing his enraged features. "Perhaps you'd make a good general. It's a pity that we'll never find out." He held his four swords back as if resisting their motion, without complete success.

A boulder crashed to the ground nearby, closely followed by another. Hurling two of her remaining daggers at the undead resisting Melora's relentless attack, Lisha turned and grabbed Sequoia as he began to fall. "Melora!" she cried, her voice ringing above the clash of Aerdiu's swords and Cain's armor. "We must get out!"

Melora turned toward Lisha for an instant, and their eyes locked. Her breath caught in her throat, and Sequoia stiffened. The borders between her pupils and their surroundings had disaappeared, and Lisha felt herself being drawn into inexpliable depths. Then their gaze broke and Lisha and Sequoia turned to each other in shock, terrified.

What followed us in here?

"Let's go," she whispered. The druid shot one last look at the scene behind them, then turned with her, shuddering. She sprinted back the way they had come in, not even stopping to retrieve the knives buried in the lizard's corpse. Behind them an undead warrior was crushed beneath a fallen stone. The ceiling cracked again, showering the cavern with dust. Aerdiu and Cain remained locked in combat, neither gaining an inch against the other. The same power coursed through them both, nullifying itself, and only their elementary physical fighting skills, equally augmented, shone through. The undead milled about, their loyalties divided between their leaders, their main direction gone, their purpose gone.

Below it all sounded the faint patter of elvish feet running, getting nearer to them every second.

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 13:32: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #316
OoC: I do intend to keep the staff, just so you know...

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #317
Aerdiu grew a couple of inches, and an extra set of ribs grew over his torso, ripping apart his shirt.

"FROM DEMONHOOD I CAME, AND TO DEMONHOOD I GO!" Aerdiu yelled. That was when the last shred of his shirt came off, revealing his weakness...

Behind a rid and surrounded by black goo, there was a heart that was blacker than anything around it. It made a quiet, but hideous, beating sound, forcing tainted blood through Aerdiu's twisted body.

"From Demonhood to Elfhood, and now Demonhood again. The power of Orloki may flow through you, but I am his brother. I flow with power as well, and it is only a matter of time until I am a full demon!" Aerdiu yelled. Then the heart turned into a Golden color! Aerdiu turned to the fleeing adventurers.

"PLEASE! Slay me and crush my heart! Only then may I sleep! PLEASE! I am two spirits, seperate us by slaying my physical manifestation! HELP! PLEASE!" he yelled in desperation. But then Blackness overcame his heart once more, and the battle with Cain resumed.

OOC: His old sword is AUREAS, his good side is CAECUS and his evil side is AERDIU. But he uses the name Aerdiu for his physical body. I hope that's not too complicated.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #318
OoC:

quote:
Originally written by Zephyr Tempest:

Caecus gripped Antiquus, the First Trident, in his hands very tightly.
Okay, but where'd that thing come from? And where'd it go?

Just wondering...

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #319
quote:
Originally written by Zephyr Tempest:

"These chains were specifically made to bind you, Aureas. I'm afraid I can't rescue you," Caecus deducted. Aureas vibrated and create a soft, low humming, indicating sadness. Caecus perceived a pole against a nearby wall. Upon closer inspection, Caecus discovered that it was a trident. Knowing that he can't use his runeswords while in the Tainted Lands, he took the trident.

"Ahh. It's Antiquus, the first Trident," Caecus said matter-of-factly. The trident, not being alive like the Aureas Scimitar, did nothing. Caecus turned back to Aureas.

He got it from the chamber where he woke up after passing out on page 12. I forgot to mention that he dropped Antiquus. I shall edit the appropriate post to reflect that.

You know, I just thought of a very good story to explain why Aerdiu/Caecus is Orloki's brother. Is anyone interested in reading it?

[ Saturday, October 08, 2005 17:36: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #320
It's a good thing I dropped out of this RP. -_-

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #321
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man:

It's a good thing I dropped out of this RP. -_-
That's a shame. I thought that Blademaster's Guild thing was interesting.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #322
OOC: To be completely honest, I think making Caecus/Aerdiu a demon is kind of ridiculous, as is the sprouting of extra arms and ribs, not to mention the vulnerable heart. You still haven't learned the art of inherent weakness; you have to impose weaknesses on your otherwise very strong characters, like a boss in a 2D video game. I'm not complaining, but I'm also not encouraging, and I'd really rather focus on Orloki and such than Aerdiu's demonic brotherhood.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #323
Perhaps knowing that Aerdiu/Caecus was originally an embodiment of Wisdom and Judgement would make the vulnerable heart (representing the fact that emotions can get in the way of judgement)would make it seem more natural.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #324
OoC:

Okay, this is just me, but I don't think any character should ever be an embodiment of anything. That just grants way too much power. Learn to lose, and to lose gracefully (the extra arms were a bit much, honestly).

Really, one more legendary weapon and I may drop out of this RP. It's a cop-out of a plot device.

--------------------

Pages