The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #25
IC:
Filbert looked in the eyes of a big dog. The eyes looked at him. Ten he noticed a man was standing behind him. "Sorry if he caused any trouble," A voice said. "Did you hurt yourself? That looked like a big fall you had there." A bit relieved, Filbert looked at the man, and then the dog. He wondered. What does a dog with six eyes and three heads here?

OOC:
I'm going to eat at the Chinees right now, so I can't finish. Maybe in the evening I'll have time.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #26
No reason to cut the RP off there, FF. Remember that some of the current participants may not stick around, and others may not contribute much to the story. I say if anyone else wants to join, go right ahead.

EDIT: Typo.

IC: She'd heard talk of the undead down below, of course, but hadn't given it a second thought. Warriors seemed to have a hard time laying themselves to rest, especially in the presence of strong magic. A quick blow or two in the right area and the repulsive creature would walk no more. She'd spent years training against the desert necromancers. With enough knowledge, any kind of magic could...

Magic? What kind of magic could be keeping this abomination from its grave? Lisha watched the suit of armor drag itself from the well and watched the calm demeanor with which the traveller approahced it. There were no obvious signs of necromancy, but something must be holding it together... With a half-hearted sigh, Lisha replaced her pouches and resheathed her daggers. She disabled the traps and descended the stairs, keeping the black cloak between herself and the tavern-goers.

A stately-looking woman in the corner caught her attention temporarily. There was a detached, disinterested air about her, and a bit of a chill. Not nearly powerful enough, though, Lisha thought. A quick scan of the remaining patrons revealed no better. Not here, then. Steeling herself against the cold northern air, Lisha swept through the doorway and made her way toward the well she had been watching. Aramite mages surely had their own distinctive style and could not be equated with those of her homeland, she knew, but where was the tingling of residual magic? Why could she not feel its effects? It was almost as if human magic had not created this particular abnormality.

Human magic...

Lisha surreptitiously palmed a heavy-hilted throwing dagger and moved quickly and cautiously through the crowd. This adventurer was an utter fool if he could not dispatch the monster before him with minimal effort, and she found it best not to assume a man was a fool until he had proven himself one. But she could not allow the skeleton to be disassembled, not yet. Human magic would surely leave its mark, but a demon's curse... if her suspicions proved veracious, this undead warrior could provide her first look into the power and the true nature of the creature Órloki. Taking care to attract as little attention as possible, she approached the newcomer and his prey.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 07:46: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #27
IC:
Finally reach a small cliff, Sullust managed to drag himself off the mountainside into some shelter. The further he climbed, the colder the mountain seemed to get. The cold was an evil unnatural thing, piercing every bit of clothing he had. It's icy fingers seemed to reach inside of him and steal the warmth from his blood.

I shouldn't have come here.

Darkness fell around him, and all light was gone...

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 5946
Profile Homepage #28
Sullust awoke.

It was cold, of course, and he could still hear the howl of the freezing winds. But the biting iciness seemed to have abated, at least for now. He found himself wrapped in a thick fur, and watched by a stranger.

"You, sir, are an idiot." The thin, dark-skinned man who sat in front of him said.

"Who are you?" Sullust asked.

"You can call me Guy. I live in these parts. You don't. Whatever possessed you to venture up here without a guide, or a map, or indeed any clue about what you are doing?" The stranger said, "in fact, don't speak. Rest and regain your strength."

Guy pushed a stick of something dark and pungent towards him.

"Eat it. I bet you think you are special, fated or blessed with some sacred mission or some other garbage. Trust me, you are wasting your time. In any case, cold and hunger doesn't care - it will kill you all the same. And if you survive, the wolves will get you for trespassing. In fact, if it wasn't for me, you'd already be dead. Or worse."

The stranger turned away, muttering.

"Was kinda hoping you were a corpse. Now you'd better survive for the journey back down. And I hope whoever sent you is willing to pay for your sorry hide..."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #29
Caecus had just percieved many people gathering around Cyrus. My fellow undead is in danger? In life, I had sworn to protect my fellow man! Thought Caecus. "Don't bother! He's done nothing for you!" whispered the runes. "But we are both dead men. I cannot allow re-death to get him!" Caecus whispered back. He got up, and marched out of
the tavern.

He saw the scene: Many townspeople were gathered around an undead warrior, along with an assassin. Caecus knew what he had to do to keep Cyrus from getting swarmed. "Leave that skeleton alone! What has he done to you!?" Caecus yelled. Now that hee got everyone's attention, he took off his helmet! Then, to make himself even scarier, he let out a ghastly high-pitched wail! All the townspeople were so terrified that they ran from him, but Cyrus and Cain didn't budge. Caecus put his helmet on and walked up to Cain.

"I cannot let harm come to my fellow man! I swore this in life, and I will follow it in DEATH! If you want to harm Cyrus, you'll have to get through
ME first!" Caecus yelled. He pulled out his twin runeswords and left it at that.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #30
OOC: Hmmmm. 12 people already. Geez.

IC: When she hears the foreign tongue being spoken, Edith turns her head slightly to catch a glance of what is happening. She sees the man in the iron mask running out the door. As she listens intently to the commotion outside, she can hear talk of the undead soldier being in the well. She rolls her eyes and gets up out of her seat to go watch this foolish escapade. Grabbing her mug, she walks to the door to go outside and collides with the man wearing the green robes and iron mask as he is hurriedly coming back in.

Her mug crashes to the ground and the remainder of her wine mixes with broken pottery from the mug and the dust of the floor.

"Great! There goes my 20 gold. Plus 5 more for the mug. You should really watch where y..."

When she looks up and sees that she has run into the man in the iron mask, she immediately loses her train of thought.

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes

Gay Christian Network
The Polaris Board
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #31
OOC: Fzmultiply (I know i did it too), You can't use a character that somebody else already made.

IC:
(continuation of previous post)
He sat there and thought, while the dog dribbled on Filberts belly. "Where do you come from, sir?" the man asked. "Oh... Um..." he couldn't tell him what his goal was. "I... I'm a traveler." I see. the man said. May i join you?". "i'm sorry, but you can't. Its to dangerous," Filbert said. "What a pity." The man with the dog went away. Filbert stood up and walked on. On to the city of Bumberville.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #32
He made his own, Marvin: Guy. You may include the characters of others in your posts as long as you don't take them over. If, for instance, I were to have your character kill the dog and run away so that its owner ends up running into Lisha, that would be a bit overboard. If Lisha were to come by and talk to your character and I had him stand up and go to her, that would be fine. How much control others are allowed over your character is basically up to you, as long as you're not an RP Nazi.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #33
Sorry! I didn't know that! Again, sorry, sorry, sorry.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Marvin, the paranoid android:

OOC: Fzmultiply (I know i did it too), You can't use a character that somebody else already made.

Sullust, FZ and the lot of us know each other well, and communicate; so we can control each other's characters sometimes. A good observation, though. :)

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 09:45: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #35
OOC: Well it's fine by me, so all is well.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #36
Cain did not bother to look at the new undead, instead he watched his customers flee from the well in absolute panic. They were gone, that was bad, but it was also an opportunity, he might not need to kill these undead after all, just getting them out of town would get him the gold, food and shelter he needed. He muttered a curse to himself and turned to Caecus inspecting him briefly, he noted his swords radiated a power of their own, a will of their own. He then turned to Cyrus. This other undead was heavily armored, by the looks of things it was the armor that held the creature together.

Both were not ordinary undead, they were clearly not mindless souls, stupid maybe, but not mindless. They also radiated a different power, a kind Cain was not familiar with. For a moment he thought of just slaying both of them right where they stood, but that unknown power unnerved him. Cain was a proficient assassin but he was no fool. These two could be more powerful than him, if so, a more subtle approach would be necessary.

"What are you two?" Cain spat. "Clearly, you are no common undead. Tell me why you stain these lands with your foul presence or I will spare you from you're miserable and tormented existence."

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #37
"These accursed swords were supposed to make me immortal, but I was slain in battle. I rose from my grave and possessed my armor. Now I seek to have the runes removed by the master of the one who carved them so I can finally rest in peace. The runes have
told me that the master is on a nearby mountain," Caecus responded.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #38
OoC: Pardon my absence... couldn't get to my computer. Also, love the "may you live in interesting times" curse... a Terry Pratchett reader, I assume?

IC:

Brother Sequoia turned to look not only at the gathering crowd, but also to listen to the armor-clad skeleton splashing around in the well. As if it could possibly get weirder, he saw the walking suit of empty armor again. It appeared to be arguing with a shady character who loosely gripped a silver dagger.

Still, Brother Sequoia couldn't quite understand why someone would want to kill the skeleton... any hostile undead would have already run amok in the town. Very few would choose to sulk at the bottom of a well...

The crowd was growing a bit agitated, and many of them were looking at Brother Sequoia as if they expected him to do something. "What do they want from me?" he thought, looking down the well at the struggling skeleton.

As the crowd grew even louder, Brother Sequoia decided it was time to act. Stashing his waterskin inside his cloak, he drew his staff and began muttering a spell he learned back on Krell. As his staff glowed bright blue, a foot-thick hedge erupted around the well in a circle about ten feet wide, leaving Brother Sequoia alone with the skeleton in the well.

The astonished looks from the crowd didn't faze Brother Sequioa as the hedge grew to about ten feet high and filled with thorns. Soon the confused cries were muffled by the hedge.

Brother Sequoia's staff dimmed to its original color. "If they want to bother me now, they'll have to deal with that." he muttered in a satisfied way.

Looking down the well, he pulled a thin climbing rope out of his cloak and dropped one end down the well.

"Hey, grab onto this, I'll help you out." he shouted to the rather damp skeleton.

OoC: The hedge spell is meant to be an advanced one... I'll do everything in my power to keep my character's power reasonable.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #39
OOC: I don't think we'll consider a wall of hedges to be too powerful :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #40
OoC: Well, yeah. More for show than anything, though the thorns are big...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #41
IC:

After another short nap Sullust felt strong enough to try and stand. Sure enough his legs still worked, though they were quite weak. He tried summoning the energy to levitate two rocks nearby, but it was too much for him and he collapsed onto the ground.

"If you keep this up I won't be able to deliver you back to your friends in town in good condition," Guy said.

"I came alone," Sullust responded.

"Well then perhaps I can sell you to someone who's interested in a disobedient slave," Guy snickered to himself. "In the mean time I suggest you stop trying to over exert yourself. You've already lost much of your energy."

"What hope do I have of climbing this evil mountain then?" Sullust asked.

"Do not make the mistake of calling the mountain evil. Nature is neither good nor evil, it simply exists. Trying to fight against it will only make you suffer more. As for climbing the mountain, that is impossible. It hasn't been done since the ancient days."

"Then what hope do I have of entering?"

"Only a foolish king would leave a single path to his treasure..." Guy finished. He then started packing up gear. "Get ready, we leave soon."

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #42
A shadow drew away from the tavern wall and away from the shocked townspeople returning to the well. Lisha slid the dagger back into its sheath and drew a pair of slashing knives. She quickly cut a hole for herself in the thinnest part of the thorny wall, the part furthest from the crowd, then became entirely motionless to listen to the conversation within.

"Thank you, Brother, that's better."

"That won't stop me!"

"It wasn't meant to stop you, spirit," a deep voice intoned. "It was meant to give me a moment's peace. You, too, have benefitted from nature's bounty?"

"I will be rewarded as handsomely as my customers are able if I rid them of these undead," responded the first voice shortly. "I can destroy them now, Brother, or I can lead them from this village and return alone. The choice is yours," finished the assassin, idly fingering a sharp blade.

"There is no need for destruction, friend," the monk responded, drowning out the sudden protestations of the skeleton and threats of the spirit. "I shall open a passage through the thorns and you can return here in an hour to collect your... gold."

All four turned suddenly as a blade flashed through the last layer of hedge between Lisha and the clearing around the well. It took the mortal eyes several seconds to recognize the dark shape as that of a human. When she spoke, it was with the affected accent of an Aramite peasant.

"The undead shall follow me from this place," Lisha said, leaving little doubt in their minds of the accuracy of her prediction. "You may accompany me if you wish," she continued, addressing the monk. "You, adventurer... find a place to hide for however long it takes to deceive their simple minds," she said, allowing a tinge of Eastern contempt into her voice. Not enough to betray her nationality, of course, but enough to convey the message to Cain.

"I shall decide what is done with the skeleton," Cain replied, anger and a hint of fear shadowing his brow. Who was this woman, and where had she come from? Her bearing, garb, and accent suggested she was no more than a farmer's wife, but this was obviously not the case... "If you wish to follow us for their safety, feel free," he continued in a mocking tone. All the better to keep an eye on you. He wonderred how much she had heard.

Lisha's smile was swallowed by the darkness. "Very well, then. Brother?"

The monk, quickly regaining control, murmurred under his breath while the thorns drew back far enough to allow the entire party through. They slipped off toward the remaining woods, the spirit half-willingly and the humans wishing their companions' armor would stop clanking so loudly.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #43
"Where are you taking us?" Inquired Caecus.

"Don't bother. Kill them! Find the master yourself! These puny beings cannot stop you! You're already dead," whispered the runes. "I shall not kill for you. You can't control me, and soon I will be free of you!" Caecus whispered back. Caecus' runeswords started vibrating. "They just want to destroy you!" the runes whispered. "Your mind games will not work!
They never worked before, and they won't work now! I will not be enslaved! Your master is NOT my master!" Caecus whispered rather loudly.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 12:53: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #44
IC:

As they walked into the woods Cain couldn't help but smile at the course of the events. This new woman, by the looks an assassin like him, wished to take the undead with her. For what? He did not know and he did not care, as long as they were to be taken away from town. All he would need to do then is receive the rewards for getting rid of the undead, all without lifting a finger. It was perfect.

"Woman" Cain spoke. "You want these creatures? Take them, under one condition, leave town this very night and do not return, at least for the next few days." The undead were about to brake in, irritated by the two mortals toying with them when the woman replied smiling. "I knew you would see the benefit of it." She then turned to the undead, apparently to calm them and explain why she needed them. Cain did not care about her business.

With no further words he left the Druid, the two undead and the assassin alone in the woods. He had a reward to receive back in the village.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 13:18: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #45
OOC: It's moving too fast for me, and I'm a fast reader. I suggest a one post per day rule - the story will benefit if we have time to think.

IC:

Melóra had slipped out of the tavern as soon as she heard the commotion. Silent as the shadows that were her namesake, she had crept around the inn to watch the happenings from a safe distance. Fingering a throwing dagger between her fingers, she silently cursed its inferior manufacture - the most finely crafted human blades could not keep up with the metal forged below.

It seemed that the Undead and the villagers were having some kind of disagreement. Idiocy again. The Unliving are different from demons - when not guided by a master or their own hunger, they have no evil intent. She hesitated, remembering the dread Wraiths of the desert, in the lost temple of Shanaar... a razor-thin smile formed on those cold lips. Usually anyway. But then, they've been tormented without rest for a thousand years. Surely you can't hold it against them if they get a little testy.

A nauseating dizzyness rushed through her - a surge of Life magic. Where a strange monk had been standing with the skeleton before, a large green hedge now surrounded them, hiding them from view.

A hooded figure - a woman, unmistakably lithe - advanced toward the hedge.

---

Melóra did not stay to find out more. Slinking back into the tavern, she paid the barkeeper who had not noticed her absence yet - she was honest when she felt like it - and left for the nearby woods, turning her back on this forsaken town.

What in the thousand names of dread Yroel has brought me here in the first place?

Ah yes. Treasure.

Melóra had been wandering the surface for decades, aimlessly. When she had left the Caverns, the Taint had been strong upon her, the marks of the Unnamed engraved on her spirit. It had given her power, and it had nearly cost her her sanity. But somehow, by sheer force and through long years of study she had managed to subdue the Taint - now, she was master of the shadow that the Unnamed had set within her, not the other way around.

Working as a part-time assassin and a mage, she was able to make a good income, but her ambition was treasure hunting. Not silver or gold, naturally - such things were easy to get if one knew, traded with and murdered the right people. She was not interested in King Albert's trinkets - if the legends were true, the treasure she was hoping to find here surpassed such things by far.

---

While she was wandering through the forests, deeply in thought, she suddenly heard noises in some distance. She recognized the Undead and the hooded lady from earlier.

[ Tuesday, August 02, 2005 14:24: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #46
OOC: Two per day please. If we go for one this may die. Besides most of the posts like mine, don't move from one "scene". So, while the text looks like a lot, we haven't really moved that much at all.

--------------------
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #47
OOC: Oh. My. God. I spend a day in class and the post count DOUBLES? Damn.

IC:
"Late for action again, I see," the bartender laughed. Andros had just missed the commotion with the undead. "Yea, there was this skeleton warrior thing here earlier tonight, as well as a walking suit of armour. There was even a few other more normal weirdos, including this short guy with a mask. They're all heading for some mountain for some reason."

"Ah yes, the one with the demon," Andros replied. "Thanks a lot, my man, I'll look around; they shouldn't be hard to find."

"Thinking of sniping one, I see."

"Nah, walking suits of armour make very good shields. Besides, I'll need those people to hold off that demon when I grab the treasure anyway."

With that, Andros left the inn.

The party was not hard to spot; the two hulking suits of armour, the short man with a mask, and a woman whom he was almost sure was one of those 'shadow elves'. Readying his sniper crossbow for self defense, Andros decided to catch up and introduce himself...

OOC: Andros is slightly different from other humans genetically, but it's practically impossible to tell the difference between him and normal humans unless an extreme situation occurs in which the life of Andros or someone around him that he truly cares about is at stake.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
OOC: Melora is not part of the party - the woman you mean would be Lisha, Dave's character. The shadow elf is well-hidden nearby, and you wouldn't spot her probably. I'll bring her into the open tomorrow, no time for more action right now.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #49
OOC: Not Lisha either; she's off in the forest with the undead and the druid. Wisey must've gotten a little confused. Not hard to do, especially with three character names beginning with the letter C...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Pages