The Mountain of Shadows RP

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Mountain of Shadows RP
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #550
OOC: Wow. Twenty-two pages of good reading (the four-arm incident aside). I feel like I'm invading...

I'm just curious: is Orloki to be challenged immediately, or will this RP continue for a while? I just couldn't help but be struck with an idea for a... 'character'... of sorts. And yes, I know it's really, really late in the RP. This 'character's' main purpose would be to shed light on historic events surrounding the mountain and hasten character development, especially Aran's.

Anyway, if you don't want me in, don't be reluctant to tell me where to go and how to get there. I don't think what I have in mind will change the RP much at all, but if the FINAL SHOWDOWN is nearing, it will be redundant.

EDIT: ...And a twenty-third page of complete crap...

--------------------
Ummm... OOOOC?

[ Tuesday, June 13, 2006 17:50: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]

--------------------
Beta Testers, UNITE!
Demetrius, Magister of the Dominion of the Learned:
( IC / OOC / SUMMARIES / ROSTER )
Gnosis knows.
(These links exist for my convenience, but it's rumoured clicking on them increases your sex appeal.)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #551
OOC: We're currently working up to a climactic battle, but we're not there yet. If you can work out a really believable entrance for your character (unlike, say, mung's "Mountain Pirate"), then it might be possible.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesThe StatsPolarisIRCRSS [Topic / Forum (redirect)]
The awful doom of Yaddith we evade
Will soon be snuffling at our heels again
The snouted worms can track us through our dreams.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #552
OOC: You actually started it all up again!? Well, I helped start it, so I'd better help finish it. However, I'm extremely busy at the moment: its two weeks of exams from today on, so don't expect me to post that much. I also want to read at least paqe 22 a second time, just to remember what the hell happened.

--------------------
My webpage in all its anti-glory. the only place where you could be able to download my scenario, if it weren't in beta yet.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #553
OOC: How about this: I post an IC, and you all tell me whether or not you want me to edit it out. Just remember: this ?character’ can’t fight, nor possess anyone (this post aside: as I describe later on, this is a one-time thing). Sorry if this post is overly oblique; Gnosis isn’t in the habit of explaining itself, and its way of viewing the world is different. Also, Gnosis will be fairly easy for everyone to incorporate into their posts, once they realize what it is. However, I’d like to handle at least part of the next contact with it.

Okay, this is going to take us back a ways.

And I’ve discovered writing in present tense is tough.

EDIT: Sorry FF. The mask has been removed.

--------------------
If it were possible for Gnosis to have a sense of time, it would have been puzzled by the number of years since the last contact. As it is, it only feels a faint sense of satisfaction as its awareness speeds to one of the outer libraries. Perhaps the conversation held with the wounded mage could be continued.

As always, the information flow jolts as the reader’s eyes met the page, and Gnosis begins its examination. It was not the mage, attempting to reestablish contact. Rather, it seems to be a female first-born, though not like any first-born that Gnosis has encountered before. Unfortunately, the reader does not appear to have sufficient mage-craft to be able to initiate contact.

Gnosis hesitates for an infinitesimal moment. It could use what remained of its energy reserves in its current fragmented state, and initiate contact itself. Such an action is not explicitly forbidden in the Precepts, and it had done so before with the mage. However, after doing so the Tainted Guardian had tracked down the physical and caused it that fatal wound. The mage had died before transmitting the majority of the information concerning the current state of the Mountain. The destruction of information is anathema to Gnosis. But if the possibility existed so that more information could be gained than lost…

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Strange. That thought must have come from the records of a conversation with a physical. Gnosis does not think along such lines.

Drawing into the energy from the fragmented energy reserves, Gnosis initiates contact with the reader. In this heightened state, it does not have to work with the reader to gain information; its energy just envelops the thought patterns of the physical. The primary information flows in. Harf’er’melora. A separated branch of the first-born that lived in caves. A quest to explore the Mountain.

Gnosis changes the focus of the probing to the underlying motivations of this ?drow’. Since the contact with the mage, Gnosis has pondered the importance of emotions to physicals, and so makes them a priority. A flood of primal, immediate urges. Lack of sleep. Pangs of hunger. A fading sense of adrenaline rush after a battle with a demon and a pack of wolves (Gnosis files this information away for further analysis). Gnosis probes deeper. The Nameless Ones in the deep caves. And a never-dying, insatiable thirst for information that nearly rivaled Gnosis’ own First Precept.

Gnosis is pondering this drive when it notices other insistent emotions. Compassion, concern; all direct towards a specific entity. Gnosis expands the link to include the physical’s senses. The reader appears to be in a smoldering library, and Gnosis immediately feels regret at the information irrevocably lost. After a few moments, the entity that the reader is focusing its emotions on is located: a comatose human male, severely wounded. By further expenditure of the energy reserves, Gnosis is able to direct the gaze of the physical, and more figures are seen. A figure stands looking at the reader. Gnosis tentatively labels it as a human male. Suddenly the figure turns around as another physical enters the room. Gnosis recognizes the familiar sight of a Tainted one. The two begin conversing, and Gnosis is unable to follow. The speech seems to be in an unknown tongue, and Gnosis files away the sounds for later study. Normally, the reader’s mind would translate the sounds, but since the reader didn’t initiate the contact, its thoughts are fragmented by Gnosis’ domineering presence. The demonic figure begins to advance towards the reader, and Gnosis worries for the book’s safety. Unfortunately, the only protections available are the reader itself… and the depleting energy reserves.

Awkwardly taking control of the reader’s body, Gnosis manipulates its vocal cords and begins the incantation of a spell. One to find information, not to harm: causing harm without making an informed decision is explicitly forbidden by the Precepts. In the time it takes for the spell to be prepared, the demonic physical advances to the reader, and even strikes it, though it does not cause serious harm. Other physicals enter the room: all human, two females and one male. They continue conversing in the strange language. Not wanting to expend a perfectly good spell, Gnosis begins examining the physicals in the room, beginning with the demonic one. Since none of them are in contact with the reader, Gnosis knows it will discover precious little, so it focuses on finding evidence of the Taint.

The demonic creature exudes the Taint, and moreover, the Taint seemed nearly identical to that of the Tainted Guardian. Next come the examinations of the masked physical and one of the human females, both which appear to be clean of the Taint. Passing over them quickly, Gnosis examines the human male. Old traces of the Taint are clearly evident, although of a slightly different sort than the type that affects the demonic physical. There also seems to be some sort of continuous magical effect on it, seemingly placed by some form of ritual. Gnosis examines this for so long that the physical topples over in exhaustion, a side effect of the spell. Next comes the other human female, which also seems to carry old traces of the Taint. Gnosis examines it for a while, but stops when it observes that this physical is about to succumb to exhaustion as well.

Gnosis pauses for a moment in consideration. There is no need to expend what remained of the dwindling energy reserves. Yet more information can be gained from this group. Moreover, if this group would be able to defeat the Tainted Guardian, defeat the Tainted Curator, perhaps the group would also be able to restore Gnosis back to its original state.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gnosis comes to a decision. Having the reader begin a different spell, Gnosis turns its attention to the human male on the ground. Unsurprisingly, yet another form of the Taint is present in it. Once the spell is prepared, Gnosis initiates the healing of the physical, using the last of the energy reserves. At the same time, it begins imprinting on the subconscious of the reader the desire and ability to initiate contact using the book. The reader would be able to aid the other physicals in making contact, but with the reserves depleted, Gnosis would no longer be able to initiate contact on its own.

[ Monday, June 19, 2006 19:11: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]

--------------------
Beta Testers, UNITE!
Gnosis knows.
(These links exist for my convenience, but it's rumoured clicking on them increases your sex appeal.)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #554
OOC:

Pure, undiluted awesome. I am always suspicious of late entrances, especially with unconventional characters, but I liked that.

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

And I’ve discovered writing in present tense is tough.
Before I read it, I was about to suggest you don't, but it is perfectly suited for this perspective.

Mh. So now Melora has been "hypnotized" to initiate contact. We'll see how that works out later on. We'll also assume that she was able to pick up a part of the pattern of the healing magic (the X'somhra thing she used against the Curator).

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesThe StatsPolarisIRCRSS [Topic / Forum (redirect)]
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #555
I still don't recover Tuulentekija getting himself a new mask. But I'm willing to let it slide if we really are going to resurrect this thing. This monstrosity has been haunting me for the past months, and I'll be very happy if it finally gets an ending it deserves.

BTW, I have an idea for an IC. If no-one has anything against it, I can post it anytime.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #556
FF, if you're going to post an IC, just do it. I'd like to write an IC of my own right now, and I'm not going to wait for "and IC if no-one has anything against it." If you've got one partially written and you want to post before I do, please let me know very soon.

It's great to see this on the road again... nice job, Ephesos. Also, I have no problem with Dintiradan's character; it fits in well enough, and it's well-conceived. That said, I think we are about ready for the "final showdown," but don't let that discourage you - the character may still prove relevant, and the RP won't end with the showdown, anyway - trust me on that.

I supppose this is a placemarker for an IC unless FF gets to it first.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #557
As the lich turned to leave, Tuulentekija suddenly took a step forward.

”Stop!” he shouted to the ancient being. “Before you go, you owe me an answer!” The curator turned to the old, scar-faced man with a mocking look in its long-rotten eyes.

“What does your mind seek from me, mortal?” Tuulentekija heard a voice filled with fake politeness answer. However, this time it was more similar to the telepathy Edith had used, and seemed not originate from the room around him, but rather from inside his head. And somehow he also knew it wasn’t only the curator speaking…

“I want to know if they really came here. The Death Hawks” the old swordsman said. Of course, no-one expect Edith (and perhaps Melora) had no idea what he was talking about. “They came here thousands of years ago to steal this ice, or metal, or whatever from you.” The curator didn’t respond in any way, but something in its dead eyes told Tuulentekija he had hit something.

“I am right, aren’t I?” Tuulentekija continued and a strange fire lit up in the depths of his black eyes. “Yes, now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense. They came here and stole from your library the ability to mold this material. I always wondered how they managed to craft their armour, but now that I’ve how your master uses it to shift the winding passages of this place, I have no suspicions about it anymore” he said and struck the black ice beside him with his fist. “But what I find most interesting is, that they defeated you and your master, beat you up and flew away. I know they did, otherwise I wouldn’t be wasting my time in this accursed place.”

At this point, Edith hurried to explain something to others, but Tuulentekija’s attention was fixed on the undead form in front of him. The Curator, in turn, rose up to its full height and looked deep into Tuulentekija’s eyes. There was something disturbing in its gaze, as if the demon itself was looking down at him, trying to judge how much the old man actually knew. It spoke again, but this time solely with its own voice. Its master had again fled and left its puppet speechless.

“You are a fool. No mortal being, human or not, could hurt my master on his own gorund “It said with a calm tone, but Tuulentekija wasn’t finished yet.

“The same was said about my master, Ashar the Embittered, the sole resident of the Icy Fortress and the last of the Death Hawks!” he shouted back, and his voice grew stronger with every word. “My people thought of him as a demon of storms, an ideal warrior that no-one could kill.” There was a brief moment of silence as Tuulentekija paused to take breath. Everyone could feel the tension rising in the room; from the corner of his eye, Tuulentekija could see Cain adopt a fighting stance. Whether it was intentional or not, he could not tell.

“Ashar sleeps under the never-melting snow of the glaciers, I don’t.” Tuulentekija said the last words with voice so poisonous that it was as if he was spitting snakes off of his mouth. Again, there was silence. Tuulentekija was waiting for the undead to leave, to run back to its master, for it was clearly afraid of Melora’s strange new powers. But for his surprise, in no more than a blink of an eye, multiple things happened at once; the Curator waved its hands and invoked a horrible cursed that caused the air ring like a thousand frozen bells, Cain jumped towards it screaming from rage and Melora said something that caused yellow sparks to surround the liches withered form. Tuulentekija, on the other hand, couldn’t see what happened on the room after that, for the Curators spell hit him with a tremendous force and bashed him against the ice behind him. He fell to the floor in horrible pain and bad memories dancing inside his head. Again he was lying on the floor of the Fortress, again his bones were all broken…again he could hear Ashar inside his head, mocking him… and again he saw Melody, but not the beautifull, happy Melody he would have liked to remember; instead his sight was filled by a picture of old, sick woman, crying bitterly…

It took a while from Tuulentekija to regain conscious thinking, and as he did, he realized that something was leaving his body; the blessing he had bestowed upon himself by reading the ancient tome had finally lost its battle against the dark forces of the mountain. No longer would his wounds close in a second after being hit, no longer would his old body be able to resist the horrible weariness the long travel had caused; Risto Roopenpoika was again fully mortal.

Tuulentekija shook his head and slowly crawled up. “What happened?” He muttered as his eyes wandered across the silent room around him. “Why did it attack you?” Melora asked and stared at him. “The hell I know what moves inside the heads of those things!” Tuulentekija growled and pressed his hands against his forehead; his head was again hurting like hell. “Where did that thing go anyways? Did you kill it?”

“It fled”, Cain said gloomily, staring at the foreboding staircase. The liches unexpected response had put everyone standing on their toes. The atmosphere of paranoia that had haunted them along the way up was now denser than ever before. The moment of final confrontation was closing, and Tuulentekija wasn’t so sure they were up to the challenge. And as the other were discussing about what to do next, Tuulentekija was wondering what he had said that had caused the lich to become enraged. Unfortunately, his growing headache again prevented him of finding the answer; no matter how much he searched his mind, all other memories came to his mind expect for the the one that could have made the on-coming fight so much easier for them all…

OoC: This kinda forces Sherlock to write next… or then not. I dunno. I spent as much thought on this as I could, but I still doubt it’s as good as it could be. No joo, elämä on. I just hope I didn’t mess up anything important, rewriting all this would be such a bane.

And as you propably can guess, I had it bit more than partly written...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #558
"Fled!" Tuulentekija spat. "We can still catch it. Will you let it find its way back to its master?" Holding his head, he took a shaky step toward the stair. He tried to take another when a gloved hand fell on his shoulder.

"Fool," Lisha hissed. "Provoking the emissary. Leave the lich to itself - we're here for the demon."

Melora spoke. "If the servant has such power within it, should we allow it to accompany its master if Orloki attacks us?"

"No. You are right. And it is true, too, that we cannot fight Orloki on his own terms. If he shall come to us, we must get to him first."

"No." This time it was Cain who spoke; Lisha looked over at him, surprised. "Do you see that line?" Melora nodded; she'd already noticed it. "Orloki wants a physical being of great power, power such as I've taken from him, to come to him and free him, because he cannot come to us. Do you see? I am his key."

All fell silent, acutely aware of the demon's presence. The icy walls, which had seemed so vast and unreachable at first, now pressed in like those of a crypt. Without a word, Lisha padded over to the runes.

I cannot allow Orloki's essence in the demon's form.

She crouched low, poised like a tracker, and peered at the bars of her nemesis' cage.

But after... I cannot trust Cain.

She moved slowly along the line, avoiding it, knowing that crossing it would likely have no consequence but unwilling to give the others that idea. What was Sequoia doing? She saw him standing strong, tall, watching her every movement but obviously focused on something else. Probably the mountain.

The mountain.

Cain could not defeat Orloki with Orloki's own strength. The strength of the drow rested in an area similar to that of Orloki. Neither man nor woman could defeat such a creature, of that she was becoming sure; even if all went against Orloki's plan, he could resort to crushing them all between walls of stone. Finally convinced that the runes were safe for all but perhaps Cain to cross, she rose and went swiftly to Sequoia.

"You have used the power of the mountain," Lisha breathed. "Is it still strong here?"

He hesistated, then nodded.

"Stronger than Orloki?"

He shrugged. "I am not."

"What if he is distracted?"

The druid's eyes, which were still fixed on the runes, suddenly locked with hers. "How?"

"What if..." She leaned in. "What if we bring him Cain?"

He grabbed her arm. The others, who'd been lost in their own thoughts, noticed the motion and began to take interest. Seeing this, Lisha turned so Sequoia's back was to them.

"Bring him Cain? Have you lost your mind? Did Cain not just call himself Orloki's way out?"

"Use - work with the mountain. Brother, you - we must all make sacrifices. Cain is lost." She indicated the cave. "Cain is like the ice - strong, incredibly strong, incredibly powerful, maybe, but without Orloki's power, Cain, like the ice, will melt." And release what is within, but there's no use bringing that up. "He is lost, and it's too late to save him. But we can use him."

Sequoia gave her a look of scorn and disgust and backed away. Her breath caught in her throat. For the first time since... since the throne room, so long ago, when the Grand Master had (as she believed) exiled her to the frigid, freezing forests of the north, she felt less than completely in control of herself. She wanted to take him, make him stop looking at her, make him nod and smile and tell her she was right, Orloki's destruction was more important than Cain's salvation, he and the Mountain of Shadows would do what her Master required of her, tell her she wouldn't fail, she'd take all she could and leave none behind, not even... but instead he turned away, turned back to Melora, and her heart sank into her stomach as her last hope strode away.

The look in his eyes stayed with her and suddenly she knew she'd do anything to make it go away, anything at all, but her hands stayed limp at her sides and her knives sat securely in their places. She stood staring at his back and couldn't close her eyes until a voice said, "We'll stay here. Let him come to us" and she hid her face and wrapped her arms around herself, shivering uncontrollably.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #559
IC:

Cain seemed oblivious to the discussion the mortals were having until he overheard the druid's suggestion. "We'll stay here. Let him come to us".

There was an awkward silence in the group.

"No." Cain plainly snapped the tension in a way only a somber demonic voice can do.

"No?" Sequoia replied, quickly walking towards Cain and fearlessly gazing into his eyes. "No you say!? … Do you wish to go in there and be at the mercy of that demon?! … More than you may already be? Who knows what will happen to us as soon as we cross those runes. His spirit can already cloud minds and move mountains from a distance, what horrors will he be able to summon as we cross those runes!"

Cain smiled. His smile slowly turned into a grin and the grin into a dark laughter that could have well been the laughter of Orloki himself.

"What is so funny?" Tuulentekija demanded.

Cain remained perfectly still, staring at the dark icy walls around them. "You plan and scheme like you have a choice."

There was a brief moment of silence before Cain spoke again. "Have you been so blind all along? Especially you druid, I thought you would've noticed by now."

Cain turned back to face the dark walls around the chamber and walked towards one of them, he stopped about three feet away from it.

"The Mountain of Shadows…" Cain smirked.

"What are you going on about tainted one." Asked Melora somewhat impatiently.

Cain slowly reached for one of the old dry bones around gallery floor. He stood up, gave it a little whirl in the air and then threw it with mighty force against the dark translucent wall in front of him. To the surprise of the group, the bone did not crumble or fall, it just staid there, stuck flat in the impact spot. To further astound the party, the bone slowly but steadily merged with the icy wall. In less than a minute the bone was part of the sinister decoration of skeletons, weapons, armors and trinkets trapped inside the icy gallery.

Cain turned to the party. "You have all felt the walls of this gallery closing in. I tell you that was not a simple feeling. The walls of this gallery ARE closing in. I felt the subtle waves of demonic power touching this material as soon as the Curator left."

Sure enough, the three feet of separation between Cain and the wall seemed to have shortened by almost two feet. Soon the faces of the party turned to anxiety.

"Like Tuulentekija mentioned, this … thing … this substance that decorates almost every crack in this mountain is what allows Orloki to control the shape of this mountain. This whole gallery is made of this material; if we stay we will eventually become part of this morbid gallery."

Filbert suddenly looked terrified and turned to Sequoia. "But, Sequoia, surely you can control this substance, stop it somehow, we can't die like this!"

"Fool!" Cain spat. "Sequoia has no power to match that of Orloki, he may be able to stop it for a while, but Orloki's power does not fade or consume him. He will eventually overpower him anyway. There is only one way and that is forward."

"So you expect us to go and fight Orloki in his own terms?" Lisha inquired.

"That... or find the knowledge of this stone." Cain replied. "If what Tuulentekija mentioned is true, these Death Hawks managed to enter Orloki's chambers and steal this knowledge from him. If it was done once, it can be done again. Once you find this knowledge you will be able to control this material and in consequence the mountain. Only then will you be able to defeat Orloki without fear of having the mountain collapsing upon you."

The party remained silent for a moment, pondering on the possibilities.

"One more thing," Cain added, "I will not be going with you."

"What!" Tuulentekija snapped.

"As soon as I cross those runes…" Cain stared at the rune inscriptions across the gallery. "I will wait here."

"But what if we do not find the knowledge? What if we cannot stop the icy walls from closing in on you?" Edith asked.

"I will die... or I will be forced to cross those runes and free Orloki once again." Cain gave a brief glance at Lisha. "Not that you care anyway." He walked away from the gallery wall, which was only a foot away from him at that point, towards the runes in the centre of the gallery. The runes glowed slightly as he got near.

"I don't have much time, go after the Curator, find the knowledge or any other knowledge that may help you defeat Orloki." Cain slowly sat down in front of the runes. "…and another thing, be prepared, if what Tuulentekija said was true, Orloki will make sure the knowledge is not stolen from him for a second time."

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 04:56: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #560
OOC: I'll assume everyone is okay with Gnosis. Think of it as a mix of the Ildatch and Antrax from the Shannara series and Max from the Conquerors series.

EDIT: How could I forget Alten's SORCERESS? Hopefully Gnosis won't kill the party in a mad attempt to gain sentience...

Just a few things I probably should have made clearer:
- Melora is no longer 'possessed' by Gnosis, nor can Gnosis possess anyone against their will any longer. That was a one-time thing. If Melora, or anyone else, wants to contact Gnosis again, they'll have to read the book by themselves.
- If they do so, please try to end the post with "<CHARACTER> cracks open the tome and begins reading" if possible. After one or two posts of exposition, the character of Gnosis should be clear enough for everyone to use in their posts.

--------------------
OOOOC: IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If I'm sitting in my camp, hear a twig snap, start to investigate, then encounter a small woodland creature, I will send out some scouts anyway just to be on the safe side. (If they disappear into the foliage, I will not send out another patrol; I will break out the napalm.)

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:19: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]

--------------------
Beta Testers, UNITE!
Gnosis knows.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #561
EDIT: Post is now unnecessary.

Yeah... I need to pick more distinctive names for my RP characters...

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 08:12: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Order of Krell Summary (Avernum RP)
Save the Mountain of Shadows RP!

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #562
Damnit. Lisha cursed herself for her carelessness. Of course none but the demon could possibly have heard her - she'd been trained far too well for that - but if he'd heard her, it must've been the taint that had allowed it. Which meant Orloki could probably hear them too. She squeezed her eyes shut and shook her head slightly. Control yourself, she thought. She caught Melora's gaze and signalled to her; she'd been trained in the more common forms of physical communication, but couldn't recall which one an elf would be most likely to use. Finally Melora's eyes lit up at a common Eastern gesture, and Lisha quickly signalled, He can hear us. She nodded in the Curator's direction, and hoped Melora understood.

OOC: Ephesos, you must understand, we basically assume you are a druid, and are probably quite a bit like Sequoia. I've made the same mistake myself. =p

Nazgul, if the walls can close in two feet in that short a time (multiply that by two for two walls), the gallery may well have ceased to exist by the time the party finds Orloki, let alone defeats him. If you intend to force Cain across the rune barrier, fine, but I'm just letting you know. Also, I don't think the moving stone passages and the icy walls are the same substance...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #563
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Damnit.Of course none but the demon could possibly have heard her...
Actually Cain didn't hear her talk about him, but he already knows the type of person Lisha is. I also think Orloki can hear us.

Ephesos, sorry about that mistake, you can remove that IC now. :P We do get confused with your druid fixation. In my defense, it has been quite a while since I last posted.

About the gallery, MSW mentioned it was at least 30 feet wide. In my previous post, it had moved almost 3 feet in about 5 min. of conversation (including moments of silence and thought). That gives the party roughly 50 min. to find a way to stop it. Not much, but then again, we need to finish this and I figured that would be a good excuse to hasten the pace of the RP.

Also, I figured the ice material would be the shifting force behind the moving stone.

[ Friday, June 16, 2006 02:09: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #564
IC:

Filbert followed the conversation with horror. His big blue eyes got bigger by the minutes, his brain, already dazed by anxiety, were filled with the ultimate horror he could think of: death. he thought, unwillingly, about his father, mother, family. the night that everything happened, so close, so close as if it all happened once again, albeit in another form.

The walls: the warriors...

The party: his father, nearing death...

The rune: the burning house, not allowing him to go away.

Fits of nausea slowly took hold of Filbert. The gallery became dark, cold, so cold. he started to lose his equilibrium, and eventually he fell. His swords made a clanging noise upon touching the ground. Everybody stared at him.

"Fine! Stupid idiot, probably couldn't handle it. I bet he is possessed again by orloki, the weakling," Cain immediatly shouted.

Lisha looked at Filbert, then at Cain. "Hmmm. I don't know, but something tells me its not Orloki. Anyway, any ideas one what to do with him now?"

Now edith too joined into the conversation. "If the bastard haven't ruined my herbs, i could make a potion for him..."

Meanwhile, Filbert lay still on the ground. Images appeared, disappeared, appeared once again, catching him in agrowing tension and anxiety. The form of his family slowly formed before his eyes. there it was. The item.

In his slumber of chaos, Filbert tried to reach for it, but it was too far away. It was small, shining, like a hundred stars, the diamonds of Glathnor: the mighty warrior of the forgotten lands. His father had recieved it as a tribute.

Filbert suddenly awoke, surprising everybody. he threw off his backpack, opened it (while everybody looked at it anxiously), but when he tried to grab something out of it, he felt the demonic breath of cain behind him, catching his arm in time, so Filbert couldn't take whatever it was in his backpack.

"You fool! You miserable heap of demonic pulp that you are! You are of no use for us now, I think that is clear! Let me, who might offer some aid, be of help," Filbert cried.

Cain looked at him, slightly bewildered. Pushed to do it by a growing rage, he threw Filbert away. Filbert smacked against the wall.

What... is... the... fool... doing. i cna help... him! Filbert slowly stood up after a short black-out, but he saw he was too late. his backpack lay on the ground, the party looked at Cain, torn away from there previous fixation: how to get away from this place. Cain held a small artifact in his huge hands. it shined beautifully in the glow of his demonic eyes. It was a ring.

Melora turned around, looking at Filbert. "How did you get the ring of Glathnor! The ring of well being!"

Tuulentekija looked at the ring in a sudden confusion.

"My father," Filbert answered, and slowly rectified his body. "It has the power to heal you, albeit it in a slow tempo, but it can heal you nonthless."

OOC: I really hope I didn't draw too much attention to Filbert. If there are any problems, I'm prepared to rewrite.

--------------------
My webpage in all its anti-glory. the only place where you could be able to download my scenario, if it weren't in beta yet.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #565
IC:

Sequoia turned to Filbert, who still held the ring in a tentatively-outstretched hand.

"You idiot, that's not going to help him. If any of us know about healing, I do, and that ring's power is but a trifle compared to the weight of Cain's possession. It could cure intense mortal wounds, but Cain is no longer fully mortal."

"But... " Filbert said, looking dumbfounded. Cain simply nodded. Satisfied, Sequoia turned back to the line of runes that cut across the slowly shrinking chamber.

"Our only chance is to defeat Orloki before Cain is killed by the walls. If that splinter of Orloki's spirit is freed from Cain's body, then the rest of Orloki might be able to join it beyond the runes. So we must act with haste."

"But Brother..." Lisha began, but Sequoia continued right through her.

"There is some power here yet, and we certainly have our own tricks to take advantage of. Whatever happens, we cannot let Orloki get to Cain, and we cannot let him best us in the fight."

Sequoia half expected some protests, but none came. He turned to see the others standing there, probably still a bit shocked. Somewhat surprised, Sequoia continued.

"As Cain said, we must find the knowledge that allows Orloki to control the mountain. Then, we can have much better odds of defeating him... on our terms."

Cain spoke. "You should go after the Curator. He'll probably lead you in the right direction."

But Sequoia was no longer listening. He was focused on the mountain, on the strands of power that still flowed through his mind, accompanied by Orloki's taint. He could feel the demon's power pressing down on the room from all sides, forcing the stones together. He could feel the stone itself silently straining back, in a desperate attempt to stay true to the natural laws.

The mountain still had some fight in it. Not much, but it might be enough to press an advantage.

Sequoia could hear someone trying to gain his attention, but he was busy reaching out to the mountain's power yet again. This time, he would be ready.

"Sequoia!" Cain was shouting now.

A burst of light entered Sequoia's mind, followed by a throbbing echo of some deep rumble. He could feel vibrations conducting along his nerves, out to the tips of his fingers, which were growing uncomfortably warm. And then he felt the power lodge in his mind, this time without as much of the taint clouding it.

He could control it now. At least, he could control it for a while. Sequoia could tell that this would not last forever, and that he would eventually have to relinquish the power before it burned his body to ashes. But for now, he felt the power sweep through the core of his body.

He heard a sudden gasp from the others, and Sequoia looked around. And down. The ice beneath his feet, formerly full of the tainted soot, had returned to a blindingly clear bluish-white. The circle of pure ice was slowly expanding around him, and even reaching out along the line of runes. Sequoia could see his own eyes reflected in the ice, and they were now full of a piercing white light.

Sequoia pulled out the halves of his staff, which were now glowing a wild blueish green. He had an idea. He raised the chunks of oak, began chanting a spell he hadn't known a minute ago, and fired bolts of light into each corner of the chamber. Soon, the corners of the room were as pure as the ice beneath Sequoia's feet, and the groaning of black ice against white ice filled the room. The room would no longer shrink as quickly.

"Cain!" Sequoia shouted. "I can give you some time, but not much."

The others just stared at him. Sequoia, feeling pressure building in his brain, tried to channel some of the power out. He had taken on too much, and there was only one thing left to do.

Sequoia stepped across the line of runes, his body crackling with energy as he crossed the arcane symbols.

"But I swear, we will defeat Orloki in the time we have left."

With a sweeping gesture, Sequoia fired a blinding flash of light at the stairwell. It reverted to pure ice, and some of the light went out of Sequoia's eyes. The power had been diverted, and now the druid would be able to bear the burden for a while longer.

We're coming, Orloki... Sequoia thought, the words echoing around his energy-soaked mind.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Order of Krell Summary (Avernum RP)
Save the Mountain of Shadows RP!

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #566
Right, then.

Lisha knew what she was doing. She always did. It was her job, in fact, to know what she was doing at all times.

If the others didn't understand that, it was nothing new. If even Sequoia...

Lisha drew a knife, a wickedly curving Eastern blade, and bounded across the runes and to the stair. Edith called out a question, but she ignored it. Working solo was much, much easier, and she'd been a fool to allow herself to be convinced otherwise. She skipped the bottom step and almost slipped on the ice, still a relatively new sensation to her, but between her own sense of balance and Sequoia's transformation of the ice she managed to right herself and speed on. Soon she was out of sight.

The demon's right. We need the Curator to find the library. What he's forgotten is that the Curator will lead us to his master first. They always do.

She'd been observing her environment only subconsciously, and now suddenly realized that she was in all but utter darkness. She altered her footfalls so as to make less noise on the surface, harder than rock and smoother than ice, and listened for the clack, clack of the Curator. Several moments later she heard it, and slowed immediately to a fast walk. Her eyes grew more and more adjusted to the light, impossibly adjusted, and slowly she realized that the light was adjusting to her. Or to her progress, anyway. A dull glow, impossibly deep, emenated from the ice beneath, around, and above her, and just ten yards on, she could see, it was already growing brighter. She rounded a bend and stopped in time to see the bony back of the Curator either enter another chamber, or be consumed by the ice. Assuming it was the former that she'd seen, Lisha crept to the Curator's exit and stood utterly still, eyes closed, all her consciousness focused on listening in what she was suddenly sure was the anteroom of Orloki.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #567
And once again, we fight on our own, the Drow drily thought as she disappeared down the passage the druid and the Easterling had already taken. Why wait for the others? Filbert was a walking liability. Tuulentekija could not control his temper. Edith was useless in a fight. If there was anyone she would fight beside, they had both left.

The passages soon split, but the caverns were her home. Her honed senses could not detect the lich anymore - beyond a vague feeling of undeath that dissipated through the tunnels - but the Easterling, soundless as she seemed to mortal ears, was not hard to follow. As for the druid, he was dripping with magical force and had left a blazing trail of power in his wake, a beacon for all who could See.

And there was the trouble. Lisha apparently could not - or if she could, she had chosen to follow the Curator rather than the druid, hoping to be led to Orloki this way. Melora was standing in front of a fork in the tunnel. The footsteps of the Easterling had faded down one passage. The glowing aura of the druid was glowing on the walls of the other.

The early worm gets the bird...

The Curator would be running on the shortest way back to his master, even if he had not expected them to follow. He was a minion; he had to get new orders. Doubtless she would reach Orloki by trailing him.

But Sequoia was presently an Avatar of the mountain. The power was wearing off fast - and well that it was, for no mortal would survive wielding this raw force for long - but it was still strong, and in the light dripping off the walls Melora felt the unbending strength of the stone, of aeons rushing past the withered rock. If there was anyone who had a prayer of standing against Orloki and surviving, it was the druid.

And by extension, those who fought beside him.

... but the second mouse gets the cheese.

---

The tunnel groaned under the weight of Orloki. Sequoia's passing here had weakened his influence, but not destroyed it entirely. The mountain rumbled, an all too familiar sound.

Melora halted.

Not out of hesitation, but because of the solid wall of stone that was in front of her, cutting right across Sequoia's trail. There is an impressive array of curses in the Drow language, and Melora silently mouthed several of the nastier ones as she turned around and noticed that an identical wall cut off her return.

She half expected the tunnel to deform and squeeze her flat, but it seemed Orloki had a use for her still: A hole opened in the side of the short tunnel segment.

Apparently, all the choices were Orloki's.

No, they are not.

She calmly sat down and opened her backpack. Intenselay aware of the thousands of tons of rock that surrounded her, and of the knowledge that the fear of being squashed to death was all too realistic, she took out a certain book with a green leather cover. As if instructed by someone else, she opened it at a random place, and began to read...

----

OOC Edit: This is too hilarious to fix. Can you spot the error? Hint: It has to do with the food chain and its direction.

OOC: Alternative plot twist; MoS in D'ni - "... green leather cover. She quickly paged through it until her face lit up with a light shining out of the image on the page. Hesitating only a moment, she placed her hand on the image and was gone."

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 04:08: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #568
OOC: As I understand it now, Tuulentekija, melora, edith and Filbert are not anymore in that chamber, but up the stairs where the cavern splits in three. Is that correct?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #569
OOC: Sequoia crossed the line first. Lisha followed him, then Melora followed as well. As of my post, they are the only three who have crossed the line, the others are still in the hallway about to make their move.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #570
OOC: Thanks.

IC:

Filbert looked at the others. Who said I wanted to give Cain that ring. I thought of giving it to Tuulentekija! Oh well, I'll leave it and just use it myself, for as long as its power lasts. He looked at the ring, and decided it would be best to not use it right now. he put the ring back where it came from, his backpack, and looked at the others. cain, Edith, Tuulentekija. They were all silent.

"And what now? I'm not waiting here. I want to know what this is all about. If you want to come, fine, but I'm leaving now."

The lot stared at Filbert with surprise. Nobody responded. Ugh. Of course, its me who is saying this. If it were that blasted druid, they would follow him without a question! He turned around and crossed the rune. he started climbing the stairs. It was a dark, but not very cold place. the ice made meaningfull noises upon stepping on it. He looked once again back. The party was still staring at him. Let them be. I'm going.

He climbed the stairs further, and walked on, until he came to a place where the caverns seem to split. He halted and thought. he didn't have any inner strength, nor an inner power, so he figured he'd have to find some way of going the right way by activating that grey mass in his head. I wonder if demons have brains...

He halted and thought. If I were a demon, where would I go. All passaseges are at the same level. Maybe if I can find traces of the others, then I can see where they went! Smiling he sat down, and studied the ground carefully. Looking closely, he discovered the faint foorprints of some being. The ice, made by Sequoia upon passing this place, made possible to see at least some kind of track. He decided to follow these tracks. he got up and walked away, leaving three branches in the form or a small arrow, pointing at the passage he went into. If any of these three is going to follow me, this will help them come my way, I hope.

He departed, leaving the others behind... For now.

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 06:37: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #571
"I'm going after him" Tuulentekija muttered and stumbled towards the stairway. "Are you sure? You don't look like you're in fighting shape", Cain replied, and when Tuulentekija turned to look at him, he could see from Edith's eyes that she fully agreed with their partly demonic companion.

"You are rigth, I'm not", Tuulentekija groaned, but with a slight smile on his deformed face. "I've been beaten more during these few days than I've been in years, and my body isn't all too happy about it. But if I'm going help him make a difference, I certainly won't be able to it from here." When he said this, he wasn't looking to Cain, but Edith.

With those words Tuulentekija again turned around and began climbing the stairwell. The awfully bright light around him felt like someone was stabbing his head with a knife, but somehow he managed to stumble forward and came to crossways. Tuulentekija cursed under his breath and wildly swung his head around to see if there were anything discerning the different paths. Then he noticed the arrow.

Tuulentekija did not know that Filbert had made it, but he didn't really care anyway. It was the only sign indicating that someone had even been in the small room, and Tuulentekija didn't want to waste any time pondering whether it was a trap set by the demon or not. "Better to die there anyway than here" he thougth grimly and sprinted to the passage...

OoC: He will propably catch up with Filbert in a matter of seconds...

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #572
OOC: By Aran:
quote:
Alternative plot twist; MoS in D'ni - "... green leather cover. She quickly paged through it until her face lit up with a light shining out of the image on the page. Hesitating only a moment, she placed her hand on the image and was gone."
Foolish Aran! Don't you know the dangers of Linking to an unknown Age without possessing a Linking Book with which to return with? By the way, that's gotta be one big worm...

Sorry, FF. The mask has been removed.

--------------------
IC: "This is going nowhere", Melora thought to herself as she sat reading the tome. For the past few minutes she had studied the strange symbols in the book, hoping that something - anything! - would happen. To no avail. No sudden understanding of the writings within, no strange transcendance as before, nothing.

Strange, that I have no idea what this book is for.

In truth, she was grasping at straws. Her two choices were to head down the path that Orloki had set, or to remain where she was. Throughout her entire journey, following Orloki's plan had ended in near disaster, and she was not pleased at facing the prospect again. Reading the book was an act of desperation, nothing more. But anything was preferable to facing Orloki by herself.

Why is it that I fear what I know virtually nothing about?

As much as she hated to admit emotions controlling her to herself, there was a sliver of fear mixed in with the self-preservation that lead her to wait instead of moving down the tunnel. Fear of Orloki, fear of dying of thirst and starvation, fear of yet another demonic attack, fear that the infernal ice around her would compress around her...

The ice. Yet another thing I have no knowledge of. Or have forgotten.

Melora suddenly froze. That thought had come unbidden. So, she realized now, had many of her previous thoughts. She looked down to the tome on her lap. Perhaps it was not so inert as she had thought.

Strange, that I am able to reflect on my thoughts so.

That had definitely come from the book. Thinking furiously, she attempted to communicate back to it. "Who... or what," she thought to herself, "are you? Why are you intruding in on my thoughts?"

There was a pause, then a response. I am unused to your concept of 'self'. I was attempting to mimic your thought patterns. Does this separation of your self with my communications make me easier to understand? Does my emulation of 'self' make me more coherent?

"Yes... it does," Melora thought back. With Edith, telepathy was nearly the same as speaking. Despite the fact that communicating with her was soundless, it still seemed that an audible voice spoke in her mind. This was completely different. If Melora didn't know better, she would have sworn that she had come up with the thoughts herself. "Again, who... or what... are you? This book?" Finishing that thought, she quickly added, "do you serve Orloki?"

You may call me Gnosis. I am not the book, but equating myself with that book will not be overly erroneous. A pause, then: I do not serve the Guardian, nor have I ever served it to the extent of my current knowledge. Melora suddenly felt a faint sense of scorn accompanying this thought. It didn't originate with her; apparently, this 'Gnosis' could manipulate emotion to communicate as well as thought.

"That still doesn't explain what you are," Melora thought back. "Nor am I ready to take it on faith that you do not serve Orloki."

The pause was noticeably longer this time. I add to the books. I gather knowledge. Once I could tell you more, but I have been fragmented, and I cannot reach most of the books now. And the knowledge that they contain. A sense of impotent frustration with this. No one, the Guardian included, is capable of commanding me. I am governed only by the need to gather knowledge. Much like yours...

Suddenly Melora found herself thinking about the Unnamed, about her encounter all those years ago in the deep caves. "Damn you, that's not for you to know!" she thought savagely. Even if this 'Gnosis' didn't serve the demon, she didn't want it knowing about that. Surprisingly, the book's probing faded.

Apparently sensing her confusion, Gnosis replied. You were the one to initiate the contact, as it should be. I am forbidden by the Precepts to learn anything you do not wish to reveal, and I am unable to possess you when you initiate the contact. Still, Melora could feel disappointment at not being able to gain knowledge. By dread Yroel, communicating in this manner was confusing!

What is this 'Yroel'?

"That doesn't matter," Melora responded. Clearly, she could spend a week conversing with this thing, and still it would not be sated. "Tell me, where am I? Do you know where this tunnel leads?"

Another lengthy pause, but Melora suddenly found herself focusing on her surroundings. Or more correctly, Gnosis focusing on her surroundings. I do not recognize these surroundings, but that is to be expected after being fragmented so, the thought came back.

"Probably not your fault, Orloki has taken to shifting around the tunnels with this ice. Perhaps if I think about the route I took to get here..." Leaning back, she began thinking about the path she followed out of the burning library, crossing over the runes, and...

Her thoughts were suddenly overwhelmed by a immense feeling of shock. You crossed the runes? Without further ado, the presense of Gnosis immediately faded from her mind, leaving Melora to puzzle out what had happened.

(OOC: Gnosis will 'return' to the book, eventually. Aran, if you want to include Gnosis in your next post, PM me, please.)

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 13:53: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]

--------------------
Beta Testers, UNITE!
Gnosis knows.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #573
OOC:

quote:
Foolish Aran! Don't you know the dangers of Linking to an unknown Age without possessing a Linking Book with which to return with? By the way, that's gotta be one big worm...
What worm? Oh, and anything beats being squashed in a tiny cave. Unless she manages to link straight into a sun or something. :P

And now I'd better stop getting side-tracked. We should definitely have a D'ni-themed RP some time, however. Awesomeness squared.

Edit: Oh right, the worm that got the bird...

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 00:25: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #574
IC:

Filbert had walked down the tunnel for a few minutes now. It had seemed like ages. The ice was all around him, making him feel like an animal in his cage.

He suddenly haled and looked behinf him. The noises of footsteps started to intrude in his thoughts. Asif made of stone, he kept standing where he was. A shadow suddenly appeared around the corner, and a voice:

"Filbert!"

What the hell!

Tuulentekija, barely coping with the amount of wounds he had sustained, had just appeared around the corner. he was running, trying to catch up with Filbert. Surprised Filbert looked at him, and then walked at him.

"Tuulentekija! I'm so glad to see you!" Filbert looked him over, and came to the conclusion that Tuulentekija was in quite a bad state. Maybe I should help him...

He grabbed the ring in back pack, but didn't pull it out. Tuulentekija looed at Filbert, while Filbert stood in that awkward position.

Shall I use the ring, or not...

--------------------

Pages