Avernum V ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V ideas
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Mister Fox:

An interesting side quest could be a temporal rift or something of the like that sends the party to an alternate dimension (possibly Exile, with its minute differences from Avernum) with old-school 2D graphics.
Easter Egg would be more appropriate.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #51
quote:

An interesting side quest could be a temporal rift or something of the like that sends the party to an alternate dimension (possibly Exile, with its minute differences from Avernum) with old-school 2D graphics.
This would be interesting only to those, who have any idea of what Exile is. However I doubt such customers prevail nowadays.
May be you meant a temporal rift, which brings a party to some past, where some historically important event is taking place? I had such an idea after I had some doubts that 4 (Exile - 6) people can infiltrate Hawthorne's castle. That would be fun to find out that there was one more team, infiltrating that citadel, distracting attention from assassins :)

-------------------------------
Voices agree. Plus they say for me, though I know what Exile is. They say I won't be happy seeing that mixture. I personally don't think that former is admittable technically.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #52
lol i would like to see a few of the E3 features back.. like just capturing order mages in soul crystals, and trying to attack the tower of magi yourself and stuff :P

it was just alot more open ended i guess.

--------------------
Brother Glorat

The world is merciless, why should i care?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by BrTarolg:

lol i would like to see a few of the E3 features back.. like just capturing order mages in soul crystals, and trying to attack the tower of magi yourself and stuff :P

it was just alot more open ended i guess.

Well, you can still attack anything in A4... it just might not be a great idea. Though it would be nice to see Capture Soul/Simulacrum re-integrated into the spell system. Of course, that would require some sort of friendly interaction with the Vahnatai, so I'm not sure it's going to happen.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Apprentice
Member # 7218
Profile Homepage #54
It would pwn if there was fast traval to towns (like in oblivion) and it would also pwn if there was a Scry Creature spell in Exile (it was fun scanning all thoes critters, then killing them)

--------------------
Fish...Hats...Caramel Apples...Its all here ╙j╙
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #55
Originally by Snoflake:

quote:
It would pwn if there was fast traval to towns
Well, there's the portal system.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7218
Profile Homepage #56
Yeah, but its not as good as oblivion's You could go to ANY town, ANYWHERE that you already visited

--------------------
Fish...Hats...Caramel Apples...Its all here ╙j╙
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Snoflake:

Yeah, but its not as good as oblivion's You could go to ANY town, ANYWHERE that you already visited
... ?

As if the Avernum series needs to get any further from reality... that sort of system just sounds like cheating.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #58
In fact, it sounds a lot like the GF system.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #59
I haven't read many of these posts, so if I happen to repeat something I appologize.

Four years after Rentar-Ihrno is banished, Empress Prazac is murdered by a group called 'The Loyalists'. Instead of retalliation, most of the Empire cheers, because of her dealings with Avernum. The Empire/Avernum war is again in full swing. Most of Valorim takes the side of Avernum, though.
At the same time, Rentar-Ihrno has teamed up with Avernum's worst enemy, Grah-Hoth. Monster plagues, shades, you name it it's back. They are out for blood and are holding nothing back.
With all of this going on, Is this the end of the World?

I know it's a bit over the top, but I think it sounds good! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

At the same time, Rentar-Ihrno has teamed up with Avernum's worst enemy, Grah-Hoth. Monster plagues, shades, you name it it's back.
Personally, I would not want to play this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #61
JV said something to the effect of: No more Rentar. No more Erika. No more Garzahd. Granted, he didn't say anything about Grah-Hoth, but I think it's time for this plot arc to die, and for new one (like the Darkside Loyalists?) to begin.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will instruct my guards when checking a cell that appears empty to look for the chamber pot. If the chamber pot is still there, then the prisoner has escaped and they may enter and search for clues. If the chamber pot is not there, then either the prisoner is perched above the lintel waiting to strike them with it or else he decided to take it as a souvenir (in which case he is obviously deeply disturbed and poses no threat). Either way, there's no point in entering.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #62
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

What can I say...it's just a thought! :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

What can I say...it's just a thought! :cool:

Then please stop thinking. :D

As much as I acknowledge the in-game purpose of monster plagues (you've got to level up somehow, after all), I dislike them when they're not handled well. If Grah-hoth and Rentar are behind them, then they won't be handled well.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7195
Profile #64
Well, since you're all talking about rentar ... Didn't she actually felt tired and sorry about all the messes she (in)directly caused. I know it's quite a long time I played this, but I know one reason for me to let her live was also, because I believed she changed her opinion about the whole thing. So wouldn't it be better that she would aid Avernum, perhaps dying a "heroic" death to save your party from the Loyalist (for seeing that they are her real enemy - which is a simple logical fact) and thus at least partially redeeming herself for what she did???? :eek:

--------------------
I don't care what you say, I'm punk and Hardcore all the way!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #65
I think that the game should stop the whole "the world is going to end until your heros come" thing. I wouldn't mind a smaller broken up game. First, reestablish contact with vahnatai, and establish a treaty. Second after the world unifies into a single benvolent empire, calm rebellions. Destroy the Darkside Loyalists and the newly formed Avernite Knights and Vahnatai Patriots before they start a civil war in the newly formed nation.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Apprentice
Member # 7192
Profile #66
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be so awsome. Espically for the fans of old exile. But, I understand that it wouldn't make sense to does that arn't familar about Exile.

--------------------
Exile 2 is the best.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #67
How about customizable hotkeys in Options? F3 Quick Save is next to F4 Load Quick save. Sometimes I'd get caught up in the heat of battle and hit F3 as often as possible and hit F4 by accident and lost ground. I did a MacGyver, took a matchbox bottom, made a cut out and used duct tape as a hinge so F4 is covered and I can flip it open to hit F4. Being able to make, say F9 the quicksave load key would be cool!

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:

hit F4 by accident
I did this a lot, too. I think that customizable keys in general would make things better.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 6796
Profile #69
quote:
Originally written by GremlinJoe:

You know what I really miss? Being able to set items down on tables and other such place. Also, the ability to carelessly hurl fireballs around without a target in mind.

I mean, those were really great features. Man Exile 3 was a great game.

Edit: I'd also like another editor like E3's where you can go through munus of all the game items. That was the greatest. Oh I really hope Jeff puts those things back in.

I really think that Exile III had it all perfect EXCEPT maybe for graphics. Sure they were't 3d, but they got the job done. Now, call me old fashioned, but the new view at an angle, while cooler looking, makes it a lot harder to navigate via keyboard. Lots more clicking/carpal tunnel.

What I'd REALLY like to see in Avernum V would be maybe a way to rotate the view or even an option to disable the 3d and go back to the 2d version ala the Exile series.

The MAIN thing I would love to see is a bigger prefence panel! Options for turning off the tutorial. Options for anything I might want to tinker with. The older games did this wonderfully.

The best thing about the Exile/Avernum series is the story line. Lots of fun to see it unravel. I'm working on Avernum IV for the first time through after playing all 3 Exile games and Avernum.

And I guess finally, another thing I'd like to see in Avernum V is a more intuitive interface. The Exile games I could pick up, navigate around, do whatever pretty much immediately. Avernum IV had me scratching my head every now and then when I first started playing.

But all and all I'll be happy with it as long as it has one of those great storylines that we've come to expect.
Apprentice
Member # 6857
Profile #70
quote:
I really think that Exile III had it all perfect EXCEPT maybe for graphics.
Orly? I found the combat system very annoying. When you encountered a foe, you always had to start combat and when you do that, you can't decide where your characters are placed and your fragile mages get easily hit.

Also enemy wizards were fast, resilient and goddamn powerful. Why is a mage the most resilient person in empire war group? mages are fragile nerds!
Warrior
Member # 1467
Profile Homepage #71
no i think exile 3 WAS perfect.

it was much harder though, no doubt, but it definately was perfect.

i mean, the super mages really made it tough to play

and if you dont have the right setup in your party, then thats most likely your fault - you shoulda gone into fighting mode, casted debuffs/buffs and tanked properly in the first place :P

see thats what i mean - exile is just so much more indepth - the battles are much more than "hack n slash" - each battle you have to think through carefully and plan it right.

--------------------
Brother Glorat

The world is merciless, why should i care?
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #72
Another neat little out of the way and completely meaningless easter egg Jeff could stick in would be to place members of the spiderweb forums (or maybe just the mods) in random places in A5, quotiong a post or their sigs or giving actual useful information.

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #73
I think that's a terrible idea. Putting forum members in a BoA scenario would work, but not in something like A5.

But that's just Dikiyoba's opinion.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #74
It could work, but you shouldn't get important info from them. Maybe just a side quest? Like the GIFTS chief wants you to kill the rebel GIFTS who have individual names other than "Spider". That would fit.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.

Pages