Avernum V ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V ideas
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #150
You know what else I'd like? A freaking light spell, or candles/torches/lamps/etc. A4 is bad for my eyes.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Warrior
Member # 7305
Profile #151
Bring about 10 different Nephilim and Slithzerikai sprites, a story like we're used to, some extra content and a possibility for window play, and I'll be all happy.
Apprentice
Member # 7312
Profile #152
Is there no one else out there who misses the haste group and major blessing spells?

For me, having to haste each and every character individually detracts from both the game playability and my enjoyment of it.

Or did I miss something?

I've played Ave 4 all the way through once. I loved it, and will come back and play it again sometime soon.

Puhlease, bring back the group haste for Ave 5!

Thanks for any comments/replies!

--------------------
Chuck
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #153
quote:
Originally written by Opimus Strenuus Thesaurus:

Is there no one else out there who misses the haste group and major blessing spells?

For me, having to haste each and every character individually detracts from both the game playability and my enjoyment of it.

Or did I miss something?

I've played Ave 4 all the way through once. I loved it, and will come back and play it again sometime soon.

Some Scrolls and wands effect group. Like Group Haste Scrolls. Also you can buy The Rod of Alacrity (Haste Group), The Rod Of Succor (Heal Group), The Rod of Defenses (Shield Group), and The Rod of Battle (Bless Group) from Sage Eichler in Spire. That's pretty far into the game but can come in handy when fighting Dorikas and Rentar. Have lots of sticks, (as many as 8) red crystals, mandrake, and herbs! Some of these scrolls and wands are spoils of battle, some custom construction, some you just find or buy. It's close to the same with Mass or Group Bless with Scrolls, drinking from basins, NPC's blessing group. There are 2 Mage Shields and 1 Priest Shield for Group.

Hope this is helpful. I've never played A? but I think the same basic abilities are there, just in a different form.

What about the ability to have "found items" and purchased items and such go to the party member who has been assigned to carry them? If you gain coins, it's spread to group. If you need construction items it scans and pulls from group. If you have, for some unknown reason, say iron scattered across group, when you see Dawdy in A4 to sell at good price, it pulls all from all members.

I admit this could be an issue if you had specific tactical reasons for spreading/splitting certain stackable items, though not sure I've run into that except when cheating ;) but it would be convenient if game stacked the way it pulled.

[ Thursday, July 20, 2006 17:25: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Apprentice
Member # 7312
Profile #154
quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:

quote:

Or did I miss something?

Rod of Alacrity and Group Haste Scrolls are in A4. Some are spoils of battle, some custom construction, some you just find or buy. It's close to the same with Mass or Group Bless with Scrolls, drinking from basins, NPC's blessing group. There are 2 Mage Shields and 1 Priest Shield for Group.

Hope this is helpful. I've never played A? but I think the same basic abilities are there, just in a different form.

Thanks for your reply!
I am aware of the occasional haste group scroll or wand that's out there. It is very limiting, though, and not remotely the same as having a character or two who can cast it repeatedly. From a tactical standpoint, it means that your most powerful character (your mage) has to use 2 full turns, possibly 2.5, just to get everyone in your immediate party hasted. I understand that group haste is a very powerful spell, but rather than eliminating it altogether (which doesn't make a lot of sense from the perspective of the storyline, imho) perhaps it could be limited to two squares away, or the spell points required could be raised (e. g. costing 6 points for each character hasted).
Again, losing this capability won't make me stop playing, or spending my money on the Ave 5, but it is something which I miss. Badly.
Am I just whining? Does anyone else out there want goup haste/major blessing back into the magical repetoire of the player's characters?
I know that I'm just a new guy in the forums here, but I've been playing these wonderful games for a very long time.
Again, any comments/replies are appreciated.

--------------------
Chuck
Apprentice
Member # 7312
Profile #155
quote:
Originally written by Micro Phage:

What about the ability to have "found items" and purchased items and such go to the party member who has been assigned to carry them? If you gain coins, it's spread to group. If you need construction items it scans and pulls from group. If you have, for some unknown reason, say iron scattered across group, when you see Dawdy in A4 to sell at good price, it pulls all from all members.

I admit this could be an issue if you had specific tactical reasons for spreading/splitting certain stackable items, though not sure I've run into that except when cheating ;) but it would be convenient if game stacked the way it pulled.

Hope I'm not breaching protocol here by splitting up my replies to these 2 separate issues.
Item juggling is always a major chore in these games. Anything which makes this easier/automated would be helpful.
If nothing else, it seems like it might be doable to have combinable items routed to the character already carrying them.

An idea which might also be helpful would be to be able to "tie" a group of wands together, so that two wands would be combined into one item, much like with scrolls/potions.

How about a shotgun-wand technique, whereby one could activate multiple wands or scrolls simultaneously? This would mean going through a lot of magic items at once, but it could really get your party out of a tight spot! And the idea of such a mega blast just makes me all tingly!

Tell me what y'all think! Thanks!!

--------------------
Chuck
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #156
It's generally encouraged to just use the edit feature rather than double post. This is to prevent people from spamming too much. From now on please do that, thanks. :)

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #157
Bring back elevation for god sakes!!
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #158
Chuck: Well, for what it's worth I like the shotwand idea, hell it sounds like the kind of thing you could've done in the original Exile... but sadly since then Jeff has had this weird thing about "game balance" or whatnot...

On a completely different note, has anyone at any point ever suggested a hex grid instead of a square grid for a future game, and if so how was that received?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #159
quote:
Originally written by Vaecrius:

On a completely different note, has anyone at any point ever suggested a hex grid instead of a square grid for a future game, and if so how was that received?
I can't see how this would be implemented for Avernum... all of the graphics would need to be fixed, which would effectively take forever. And it'd look even weirder than A4 did.

Ah, for the days of Beast Ceremony...

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #160
1) Yes, I too miss mass haste, badly.

2) I believe GF used a hex grid, which has led to all sorts of problems. Edit: My source for this was SOT, but Jeff has now denied it.

[ Friday, July 21, 2006 13:57: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #161
It's not all that uncommon for double posts to happen when there are two different large posts or pieces of posts that need quoting. If you don't want to work out the tags and copying and pasting by hand you can click quote on both of the posts, open two reply windows, and copy one of them into the other.

—Alorael, who doesn't do this very much. It's usually more work than just writing out the tags. In fact, he can't remember when he's done it at all, but he's sure that he has.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7314
Profile #162
Yeah, I too miss group haste. A lot of monsters know it, why not the good guys?

Something else I miss (for a looong time): ambidextrous. There are so many nice swords and I want to use them all.

--------------------
Kaa
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #163
GF does use a hex grid, underneath the continuously animated movement: you can only stop at places on the invisible hex grid. Walls and doors naturally tend to have square patterns, of course.
So it does often seem as though you can't put units quite where you should be able to. What I'm suddenly not sure about is how this issue is affected by the isometric perspective. It would seem that this might make hex grid a great idea.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #164
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
Ah, for the days of Beast Ceremony...
Those were good times...

Originally by Opimus Strenuus Thesaurus:

quote:
I understand that group haste is a very powerful spell, but rather than eliminating it altogether (which doesn't make a lot of sense from the perspective of the storyline, imho) perhaps it could be limited to two squares away, or the spell points required could be raised (e. g. costing 6 points for each character hasted).

Dikiyoba would like to go back to the days when spell levels, or at least spell level 3, actually meant something. Group hasting once the haste spell reaches level 3 makes sense, since it is convenient to use but requires effort to attain. Or at least, it should work that way.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #165
quote:
Originally written by kaa:

Game balance. It would make the game even easier.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #166
More pirates.
Lots more.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #167
"GF does use a hex grid, underneath the continuously animated movement: you can only stop at places on the invisible hex grid."

Not sure where you got this. Geneforge uses good old x-y coordinates on a square grid, like every other tile-based game ever.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #168
GF4 will come before Avernum 5, so you guys calling for it to be out ASAP will be a little disappointed.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #169
quote:

Yes, and this was something I raised in my beta reports. There are an inordinate amount of offensive spells and "shielding" spells. I'd prefer a group haste, group bless, and more disabling spells. Slow/web/paralyze/sleep etc.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #170
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

quote:

Yes, and this was something I raised in my beta reports. There are an inordinate amount of offensive spells and "shielding" spells. I'd prefer a group haste, group bless, and more disabling spells. Slow/web/paralyze/sleep etc.

Agreed.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Apprentice
Member # 7312
Profile #171
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Originally written by kaa:

Game balance. It would make the game even easier.

Game balance can be attained, imho, by (as previously stated) upping the spell point cost, or something. The issue for me is more about playability than it is any other issue. It is tedious to have your mage casting repeated single haste spells; by the time he/she starts throwing lightning/fire/ice, the fight's more than half way over.

Thanks to everyone commenting on this subject so far! Keep it coming!

--------------------
Chuck
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #172
That's why you use haste potions and group haste items when you really need them for the big fights. In the earlier games you could group haste and bless in one spell and buzz saw your way through any encounter.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #173
Or just haste before you get within sight of your enemies. It has a fairly long duration, so it's unlikely to run out during combat.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #174
Balance out group haste by having the enemy casters use sleep fields or webs. More effects, not less!

--------------------
====
====

Pages