Avernum V ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V ideas
Apprentice
Member # 6346
Profile #275
quote:
I thought the issues with Sliths and Nephils was pretty much resolved. They live alongside the humans in peace in Avernum and going by the Empire's more tolerant stance at the end of A3, they're probably more welcome on the surface as well.
Well, judging by the tension in New Formello, I think more hostility between Avernum and the Sliths isn't implausible.

Not sure on the Nephils though. I just assumed they were still in the same situation as A3. They sure are neat though. I always make my party all Nephil.

[ Monday, August 28, 2006 22:27: Message edited by: BobbyNoFace ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #276
In A4 you get to see that nephils get along fairly well with humans and so do sliths, although there's still a little bit of dislike for the lizards.

—Alorael, who doesn't think crazy cultist sliths or Khrosth and his gang count for much. There are human cultists and human bandits too and more of them.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #277
But in the Exile series, didn't any items on the ground disappear whenever you left the zone and came back? I seem to remember picking up all the garbage in my house at Lorelei only to see it had all grown back when I returned. I should fire the maid.

As long as I can put my precious things in chests, I am content.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #278
In Exile games there are a few areas in which items are saved when you leave, but most of the time leaving erases all items left on the ground. The exceptions are items that have not yet been picked up and items flagged as "always here," which reappear whenever you enter the town.

—Alorael, who can recall a few useful items that were always there. They're usually sources of modest wealth when sold, but every little bit of gold helps in the beginning.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #279
Random reply to posts from previous pages...

quote:
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I am also quite happy for lockpicking to be rolled up with the mage skill - it makes you choose between spell energy and skill points.
Now I'm not entirely sure what I was trying to say there, but clearly what I actually wrote makes no sense at all.
I finally remembered what I originally meant, and it does make sense after all. It relates to doors locked with marginal difficulty. It's all about whether you can unlock the door using lockpicks alone or whether you need to spend spell points to cast unlock.

(Actually this may not matter in A4 where spell points are not appreciably scarce. It matters more in Geneforge where essence is more limited.)

I am always in a dilemma whether to buy some mechanics - avoid casting unlock spells & maybe escape some fights - or whether just to buy more intelligence giving me more spell casting capacity and hopefully the ability to just walk over everybody. This dilemma is crystallised more when the same character is lockpicker and unlock caster. I like dilemmas.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #280
Geneforge makes the choice slightly different, though. Unlock gives no experience and is an all or nothing deal. Mechanics often gives experience, but it usually requires some living tools. It can always work, though, if you're willing to spend the living tools.

I like experience.

—Alorael, who recalls that in GF1, at least, you could choose to use only a certain number of living tools and Unlock the rest of the way. That was useful.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #281
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
—Alorael, who recalls that in GF1, at least, you could choose to use only a certain number of living tools and Unlock the rest of the way. That was useful.
Unless you really wanted that canister of Create Ornk in the Servile Warrens. Individually using ten or so living tools is a little tedious.

Dikiyoba.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #282
What I'd like to know is, just how do you use up multiple living tools on a task? Jam them all into the keyhole at once? Link them into a big chain? Stick them into the cabinet at key points all over, in some sort of acupuncture for inanimate objects? Or do you sit there trying them one at a time, cursing and swearing as you break one living tool after another, until finally you get it right? The last option seems most plausible, but hardest to reconcile with the fact that even if you have no Mechanics skill you can tell in advance exactly how many tools you would go through in the process.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #283
You place your living tools in a circle and have them fight to the death and eat each other. The survivor, who is both the hardiest and craftiest and fortified with extra rations, is able to take on even the most cunning locks!

—Alorael, who has also pictures ripping pieces off of one living tool and sticking them on another. Although the result is a horrible abomination and likely to get peasants and serviles storming your castle with torches, it's got the extra wiggly bits that are so useful for those complicated mechanisms.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #284
quote:
Originally written by Period O Zero O Period:

You place your living tools in a circle and have them fight to the death and eat each other. The survivor, who is both the hardiest and craftiest and fortified with extra rations, is able to take on even the most cunning locks!

—Alorael, who has also pictures ripping pieces off of one living tool and sticking them on another. Although the result is a horrible abomination and likely to get peasants and serviles storming your castle with torches, it's got the extra wiggly bits that are so useful for those complicated mechanisms.

Every mad scientist needs a torch-bearing mob once in a while. It's a good way to unwind.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #285
quote:
Originally written byMu:
Every mad scientist needs a torch-bearing mob once in a while. It's a good way to unwind.

It helps with unemployment problems by giving the masses something to do. The merchants make money selling torches, lighters, pitchforks, etc. Eventually someone gets to haul away the remains and renovate the ruins. Consider it part of the circle of life.
Apprentice
Member # 7451
Profile #286
Quick Question that makes me feel like a doofus, nonetheless i'm tired of searching for how to do it.

I want to know how to Read Lark his scrolls, I've already been down through Koth's ruins and read what i need to read. I came back to lark and he says :Well read them already! I see I have a copy of the scrolls in special items, but i presume i have to find his originals or something and read them, how do i complete this ridiculous quest.

Thanks
rsedlak@berry.edu
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #287
Look in the blue box through the door south of the teleportation pylon in Fort Monastery.

—Alorael, who thinks that this question may be the Remote Cave of A4. That says something about A4 puzzles.
Apprentice
Member # 6579
Profile #288
Idea...Abandon the geneforge graphics and return to the good old style.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #289
I agree. I was so surprised to see a gazer imprisoned. Even the its dialoge was Geneforge-ish except for the part that it will eat you which very unlike a real eyebeast.

I wish that there are more actions that the Pc does which is usually stab, poke, or bend your arm. I hope to see more like slash, hack, swing, and if you're casting a spell, your PC will look like it really is.

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #290
quote:
Originally written by Valcrist:

I agree. I was so surprised to see a gazer imprisoned.
Um, there have been gazers in the game since Avernum 1...

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #291
In fact, the Gazers from Geneforge and Avernum 4 are most similar to the Gazer graphic from Exile I v. 1.0.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #292
Since that time they evolved into a writing eye cloud and then a blob of eyes. I personally like the newest incarnation.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #293
I mean the Gazer graphics..

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #294
quote:
Originally written by *i:

a writing eye cloud
A most serendipitous typo, bringing forth as it does images of a gazer coiling an eyestalk around a fountain pen and putting its thoughts to paper. What kind of poetry would a gazer write, I wonder?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #295
The Eyes see
The Eyes feel
The demise of Drakons
Their end and death
And it will be
The time when the Eyes
Rule the world

I think this can be a poem written by a gazer or eyebeast..

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6579
Profile #296
I liked the graphics of Avernum 1-3, it looked good, and the new ones just seem, well, wrong, and I mean all the graphics, not just the beast ones.

[ Monday, September 04, 2006 15:27: Message edited by: ZombieHunter3291 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #297
I still like the new graphics more than the old ones. It's just the lack of elevation that hurts the game a bit.

—Alorael, who likes being able to distinguish among nephils, sliths, and goblins with one quick glance. Geneforge/A4 graphics do that. A1-3 graphics don't.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #298
I agree, the avernum 1-3 monster graphics were a bit of step backwards from the exile ones. Only in Avernum 4 did the monsters start looking a bit more distinctive, with the increased screen resolution. I particularly like the eyebeast graphic, it's one of my favourites from the geneforge series. I have no problem with recycling successful graphics from one series to the next.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4

Pages