Avernum V ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V ideas
Apprentice
Member # 7267
Profile #200
Here's a thot:
In Avernum 4 you can go to inns and taverns and such and buy wine and ale but they are a waste of time and coinage as you can't get any health points and if you sell them later you lose coins.

In one of the quests you have to get 20 bottles of wine so that makes sence. The gremlin wine actually allows you to bless self so it is better in that way from the average food item.

Sacks of meal are only good for resale or a quest when you find them or buy them then sale at a loss.

How about all food and drink items can be used for health points. And if 1 character say drinks to many it impairs them somehow. Reduced strenght weapon skill spell energy or something. To much meal and ale can make them slow or sick for a while?

How about being able to buy cheap and sell at a profit instead of a loss? Or sell reward or custom items for a profit?
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #201
quote:
Originally written by Venomousblade:

quote:
Originally written by Vaecrius:

I've been thinking (not always a good sign, but)... how about a KO state where the character is down but not out so they could be raised with something simpler like healing or first aid, instead of going all the way back to town, and they still get XP for the rest of the fight?

Also, I'm probably going to be skewered for this one, but... randomized areas?

Here's a better idea, though: the ability, in character creation, to type in the value of a stat, instead of increasing it by clicking on the buttons.

Divine Restoration spell in A4 works great for downed characters, just takes some time to get the skill up so you can use it on the battlefield.

A choice of typing in the values when spending skill point would be great, as long as the add/subtract was left intact from A4.

If I understand your meaning randomized areas, places like the Honeycomb, Mertis Spiral and the far NW caves could actually change so no maps would be any good. Would not want to see that in very many areas. Would definately increase the challenge!

It really doesn't take all that long to create and enhance characters, but a choice would be nice.

Randomized areas could be good in moderation! :)

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally written by m hussain:
what about instead of 4 characters why not more

Why? I have often found myself wanting fewer characters than 4, and never more.

You could pick up additional characters along the way. Like the friendly shade and the worn out golem. Maybe adding some more of these would be nice if they stayed longer and were smarter. Acting helpfully on there own.
That worked good in the Geneforge demo (Picking up smart characters along the way). :)

EDIT: Trying to reply to multi-posts in one.

[ Monday, July 31, 2006 19:10: Message edited by: Micro Phage ]

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #202
I'm pretty sure getting drunk was possible in previous Spiderweb games. As recently as A3/BoA? I confess to not spending much time imbibing alcohol or watching for the little usable button after determining that it could be done.

Food gives you a small amount of health in the Geneforges and A4, but it's still largely useless. Some items are just there to provide detail. Rocks and sticks and plates and mugs and, yes, a lot of the dubiously useful food items and throwable rocks. Not everything needs to be good for your adventurers.

—Alorael, who has never been in such urgent need for cash that he'd be willing to run around reselling everything. Iron bar and book retrieval quests are one thing, but turning Avernum into a trading game like Escape Velocity is another.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #203
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
I'm pretty sure getting drunk was possible in previous Spiderweb games. As recently as A3/BoA?
Yes, to both of them.

Dikiyoba kind of misses the ability to get drunk. Not because Dikiyoba ever used it, but just because it was there.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #204
My thought?

USE THE AVERNUM THREE GAME ENGINE!

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #205
quote:
Originally written by The Story of Quid:

Iron bar and book retrieval quests are one thing, but turning Avernum into a trading game like Escape Velocity is another.
Did anyone ever really commit to the trading runs in A3? Just out of curiosity.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #206
I did it to earn the money for the blademaster skill. In A3, the trading runs are like regular quests - if you trade enough then the quest is completed and the merchants won't buy anymore.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #207
I did the Exile 3 trading quests to raise money, but didn't try in A3. I was doing well enough not to need the money and didn't like wasting my time on it. I did some of the A2 ones when I found the items and could remember who wanted them.
Apprentice
Member # 3741
Profile Homepage #208
quote:
Originally written by Jame2:

My thought?

USE THE AVERNUM THREE GAME ENGINE!

I second that... the Av4 engine may look pretty, but it is in no way as versitle or as fun as Av3 (I've played Av3 hundreds of times, but I never played Av4 again after completeing it once...).

The way things were done in Av3 were also more fun than the way things were done in Blades of Avernum (oh yes it has an editor, but the drawbacks of playing BoA over Av3 were obvious - spell effects not working the same etc etc).

Also using the Av3 engine means that

1. The character graphics are much easier to make.

2. There is a character editor (something I disliked losing in Av4)

3. The world can be huge again (going from Av3 and it's huge continent sized game to Av4's Av2 size game was not fun). In fact it could probably be even bigger still.

4. We'd get our multiple Player Character Graphics back, going up in Av3 and BoA, to go down in Av4 using recycled Geneforge graphics just wasn't right.

Anyways thats just my viewpoint.

--------------------
"...Bahl'al spurred his army onward with a blistering wind. Three full days before his army arrived... the citizens of Tyr knew their doom lumbered nearer with each passing hour..."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #209
I would like a new catagory of magic separate from mage and priest spells. Perhaps bloodmagic, which takes health points to cast but it more powerful.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #210
i wouldnt like a new game with the a3 engine, but perhaps with an improved one.

i wont start with the full-3d-demands again, since - though a baldurs gate/jedi knight/whatever kinda avernum would be cool - spidweb probably is far too small a company to do something much larger than a3/a4.

assuming that a5 will have a huge playing space, id really like to see better transport possibilities. for example, you could ask a merchant in some inn if he could take you along, or if youre a really powerful mage, you could teleport. blabla.

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Apprentice
Member # 7333
Profile #211
It'd be nice to have some kind of item storage/retrieval system wear you could store items somewhere and have it delivered to whatever town you move to when you need it for a small fee. It got kind of annoying to keep up with all the caches I left around in A4 for when I wanted to store something.

That and more weapon varieties, like brass knuckles, maces, nunchuks, etc.
Warrior
Member # 7213
Profile Homepage #212
quote:
Originally written by Savage Ed Walcott:

It'd be nice to have some kind of item storage/retrieval system wear you could store items somewhere and have it delivered to whatever town you move to when you need it for a small fee. It got kind of annoying to keep up with all the caches I left around in A4 for when I wanted to store something.

That and more weapon varieties, like brass knuckles, maces, nunchuks, etc.

Assuming A5 didn't have the major transport/supply probs as A4... Not a bad idea.

But small fee? Hmmm. Who but Adventurers other than your own party would provide this service? And at what cost and reliability?

I'm assuming both Avernum 5 and it's Empire world will be under mutual attack at best. Maybe some corrupted (by Darksiders) officials could be bought or intimidated. Who knows.

Multiple open ended variables would be very desirable for A5.

As for the weapons, no ideas fitting within the scenario. And though it's old news now, you've given me a really interesting idea for a final finishing touch for an A4 editor. (It's gonna be a while before A5.) Thanks!

Good thought on main question. May have fun solution for A4 cache idea thing.

--------------------
Aide: (tugging at General's pant leg from ground..) "Sir! Please get down!"
General: "What!?! They couldn't hit a Giant from that dist..."
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #213
id already be satisfied if it would be possible to put things into barrels, drawers, etc again, like back in the exile-universe.

--------------------
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #214
I would like to be able to create a monk. Like the Mad Monks in A3. To have an unarmed combat skill that would actually allow your punches do something, and gloves that would add to punching damage.

No really, I am cheesed off I can not execute a fiesty slap of pain or do mad kung fu. It all started back in Exile III actually... I so wanted to make a monk.

Bitterly disapointed am I.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #215
Just push your strength and blademaster skills and you can be a slap happy monk. Bare handed damage isn't that great, but the game allows it. Don't forget quick action for multiple slaps.

I wouldn't mind a monk character in A5. No armor and increased hand damage would be nice. There could even be a monastary like in E3/A3 where you could train.

[ Sunday, August 06, 2006 19:37: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #216
Bare handed attacks suck. I tried.

Monks do so much damage it isn't funny. I mean, many painful slaps upside your head.

I even resorted to saving Monks in my soul crystal to get my mad kung fu fix.

Edit.

The Monastary of Madness was the best damn thing to ever happen in a Spiderweb game. Period. No ands, ifs, or buts. When I played Exile III and walked in to that place for the first time, and got my self slapped silly, I was almost in tears from laughing so hard. In A3, it was even worse... Those guys will slap the bejeezus out of you.

I wish Jeff would make a Kung Fu RPG. I would be all over that like white on rice.

[ Sunday, August 06, 2006 19:48: Message edited by: Delicious Vlish ]

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 7333
Profile #217
quote:
Originally written by Rent-an-Ihrno:

id already be satisfied if it would be possible to put things into barrels, drawers, etc again, like back in the exile-universe.
You actually can do this as long as said drawer doesn't have a text special attached to it. You can also stockpile items all over the cave floor wherever you want, but it gets messy.
Apprentice
Member # 7261
Profile #218
It just occurred to me how much work it would take to get sprites for each possible PC if the next Avernum had a larger variety of weapons. :eek:

Let's take a look at the list so far:
Single knife**
Single sword
Sword and shield*
Spear
Sling*
Sling and shield*
Bow
Bow and shield**
Javelin
Javelin and shield**

(*doesn't have its own sprite set in A4)
(**doesn't have its own sprite set in AT)

I've simplified things by assuming that magic could use your normal attack animation and that greatswords are handled like spears.

So four to eight weapons times four to eight directions = 16 to 64 sprites. And then you've got about five (at least, don't remember the number) animation frames for each attack, meaning at least 20 frames added for each new PC sprite for each different-looking weapon... that's at least an hour of work, even at relatively low resolutions!

I'm thinking about all this, of course, because I'm going to suggest in this post support for custom PC graphics without overwriting the regular artwork.

[ Monday, August 07, 2006 16:54: Message edited by: Vaecrius ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #219
quote:
Originally written by Savage Ed Walcott:

You actually can do this as long as said drawer doesn't have a text special attached to it. You can also stockpile items all over the cave floor wherever you want, but it gets messy.
but that wasnt so in the avernum trilogy... has that changed in a4 then?

@vaecrius: oh come on. avernum really is no big game, and those sprites are quite much all you see through the whole game. i think there should be some for everything, even the various armor-types etc etc, like it already is in some games, like in diablo 2 for example. would that really be that much an expense?

edit: messed up quote.

[ Tuesday, August 08, 2006 04:54: Message edited by: Rent-an-Ihrno ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #220
Originally by Rent-an-Ihrno:

quote:
but that wasnt so in the avernum trilogy... has that changed in a4 then?
Yes.

quote:
i think there should be some for everything, even the various armor-types etc etc, like it already is in some games, like in diablo 2 for example. would that really be that much an expense?
In terms of time necessary to create all the graphics, it probably would be.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #221
correct me if im wrong, but i assume that spidweb is no 1-man-company, and why the hell should i play their games if they dont even invest that amount of time in them?

edit: wrote spidwe.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 08:29: Message edited by: Rent-an-Ihrno ]

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #222
Originally by Rent-an-Ihrno:

quote:
correct me if im wrong, but i assume that spidweb is no 1-man-company
It's three people.

quote:
why the hell should i play their games if they dont even invest that amount of time in them?
Because you like the game for what it is. Isn't it obvious? :confused:

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #223
Spiderweb is a one man and two woman company, but that one man does all the programming. It's notable that none of them do graphics work, so all that has to be done at some expense by someone else.

—Alorael, who will repeat the tired old mantra: if you want pretty pictures, Spiderweb is probably not the right company for you. That said, a comparison of E1 to Geneforge makes advances in sprite graphics quite obvious.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #224
hm. i apologize for the tone of my last comments. i knew spidweb was small, but not that small.
of course avernum is not a graphics-game; for me it has always been a flair-game, a replacement for an adventure-book of sorts.
but still, mentioned feature seems well worth it to me.

er... if jeff does the programming, what do the other two do? share the story-part?

--------------------

Pages