Avernum V ideas

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V ideas
Apprentice
Member # 7163
Profile #0
Ok this is another topic today. I just got in mind, if Spiderweb would do Avernum V, what they would add into it?I got for example idea, smitheng, that you can smith own weapons if you get enough exm. iron to make a iron short sword, but to get it you dont need to only steal or get from somewhere, you could mine too but iron and other there are few around Avernum so you must find i mine and then get some and make bars by smelting 'em.

Well,just post your ideas here...
(hmm,mayby this kind of topic is somewhere...)

Yes and heres examples what would be:
races
weapons,armor,items,object
monsters
magic
skill
attribute(like strength)
or something else

and you can do this kind(now a weapon)

name
damage:#
weight:#
other...

yea that kind...

okay enough of talk!
BANNED
Member # 7164
Profile #1
Hmmmm, I think a good idea would be where your players have an age :D
And like they're stats change as they age. Although they get more experinced as they get older, when they get too old they become weak and disease effects them much more badly.
Who else thinks this would be a good idea?
Personaly i think this would add more realism to the game ;)
Apprentice
Member # 7163
Profile #2
Hmm, not bad but...about the aging...how much is one year then??

Yeah and you mean characters?Im the player not they

and second edit:and the game would come really hard if youre stuck in some place for exm.3 years and when he gets to the final boss, he would be old and die from one shot...well whatever

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 03:33: Message edited by: Shadow47 ]
Apprentice
Member # 7163
Profile #3
Allright heres few ideas...

Race:Orc
Orcs are good with strength and endurance but
are bit slow and weak with defense due they
lack on it because they more likely use strong,
heavy weapons like axe and they dont use much
of shield and armor.Mages and priests are more
defensive than offensive.Some people dislike orcs
because there was once battles orcs.

Sword:Angelic sword
Damage:10-36
Weight:12.0 pounds
Type:Unique,very rare
Description:An enchanted,holy sword used once
by a Paladin leader.It has holiness on its blade
and gets 10+ damage against demons and undead.

Shield:Tower shield
Defense:10-12+1 damage
Weight:15.0 pounds

Armor:Plate legs
Defense:11-14
Weight:22.0 pounds

Character class:Necromancer
Necromancer has powers to call undead from
graves and can cast undead like magic like
an bone shield that protects from ranged.

Magic type:Necromancer spells
examples:level 1 rise skeleton lvl 1
creates an skeleton or 2 to fight on your side

yeah there they are,my first list.
Make this kinds of ideas,single one or multiple

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 03:55: Message edited by: Shadow47 ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Orcs? ORCS? How many times were you dropped on your head as a child, and from what height? The whole point of the Avernum series is that it tries not to be a stereotypical fantasy setting! Jeff Vogel has said that the one golden rule he follows when designing his fantasy settings is "no elves" -- well, guess what, Einstein? That applies to orcs too!

Also, this thread belongs in General, not Tech Support.

You've made a stupid post in the wrong forum and compounded your crime by double-posting. I'd call you a halfwit, but that would be overly generous.

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 05:25: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 7163
Profile #5
Fine, what i can know about spiderweb because im not from there??then what youre waiting??Ask can this be locked!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
Orcs are for Warcraft. Sliths, Nephils and Vahnatai are good enough...

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
I fail to see how this is a Tech Support topic...off to Avernum IV I think...

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5651
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Shadow47:

Fine, what i can know about spiderweb because im not from there??
Think before you type, TBYT... I believe Thuryl said Jeff publicly stated he did not wish to be stereotypical and include elves. Now for anyone familiar with LotR, that would mean orcs as well, by extension...
So that's how you can know.

quote:
Originally written by Shadow47:

Allright heres few ideas...

Race:Orc
Orcs are good with strength and endurance.... Mages and priests are more
defensive than offensive... dislike orcs
because there was once battles orcs.

Sword:Angelic sword
It has holiness on its blade
and gets 10+ damage against demons and undead.

Shield:Tower shield...

Character class:Necromancer
Necromancer has powers to call undead from
graves and can cast undead like magic like
an bone shield that protects from ranged...

Make this kinds of ideas,single one or multiple...

The Necromancer I think unlikely since in Avernum the PCs apparently tend to only have one path, and that valorous and noble. It would take a lot of work to accommodate a Necromancer PC in an Avernum game...

Anyway, to me, this sort of thing reeks of Diablo II and all its hapless descendants; cutting-edge graphics, dazzling SFX, dynamic camera control and astounding zoom, and a non-existent story. The reason for playing Spiderweb games is that this has not yet happened to them, and fortunately cannot until their method of sale. They wouldn't have the sorry excuse of good looks to conceal the utter pointlessness of games built on that basis, so...

Hope that puts it in perspective, pal. Be seeing you.

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 08:55: Message edited by: ShadeOfWar ]

--------------------
In D&D there are lots of gods. Some of them are Jesus Christ and Lucifer, and they have equal power. Players can choose either to worship one of them, and as most of them find it funny, they choose to worship Lucifer. It is one of the ways how pure souls are taken by the devil...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
Shadow47 = Ed.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Despite some superficial resemblance, apparently not.

—Alorael, who has a suggestion (or several). A4's combat with height once again included, a superior plot, and new areas to explore. Oh, and free kittens!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5663
Profile #11
Longsword/Broadsword(whatever is the main one-hander in the next game): Phantom Blade
Damage: 40-40, cannot be parried and ignores enemy armor
Weight: 0
Rarity: Very rare, almost unique but not quite
Description: An extremely cold, ethereal, blue sword that constantly emits a soft glow. This completely weightless sword can damage a foe through shields or heavy armor. Because of its weightlessness and the extreme cold surrounding it, the Phantom Blade can be difficult to use.
-30% Accuracy
2-12 bonus ice damage on hit
Acts as an inexhaustable, but dim light source if light is needed in A5

[ Saturday, May 27, 2006 17:28: Message edited by: Mister Fox ]

--------------------
I'm drunk as think as you not am I.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #12
IMHO, I think the reload system with the batons in the GF series was quite cool. So maybe in A5 you can have ammo again, and you can carry as many arrows as you like. However, you can only carry a certain amount in your current quiver, and you have to either reload when it runs out, or manually reload whenever you feel like it. Then again, not having ammo in A4 was part of what made archery on par with everything else... =\

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Apprentice
Member # 7064
Profile #13
I want to see more stat manipulation to try to get your stats as high as possible and get those special skills. So more trainers, etc. Find some way of making Arcane Lore good past 15 total per party and parry worth getting above 10.
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Mister Fox:

Longsword/Broadsword(whatever is the main one-hander in the next game): Phantom Blade
Damage: 40-40, cannot be parried and ignores enemy armor
Weight: 0
Rarity: Very rare, almost unique but not quite
Description: An extremely cold, ethereal, blue sword that constantly emits a soft glow. This completely weightless sword can damage a foe through shields or heavy armor. Because of its weightlessness and the extreme cold surrounding it, the Phantom Blade can be difficult to use.
-30% Accuracy
2-12 bonus ice damage on hit
Acts as an inexhaustable, but dim light source if light is needed in A5

This is not possible to implement in Avernum without serious modification.
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Vlishnu:

Shadow47 = Ed.
I'd thought so too, given member number and time intervals between posting. Apparently Shadow47 is still around though.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #16
I thought the mods do an account ban first, then an IP ban if the person comes back under a different account. I could be wrong, though. But the member numbers are awfully suspicious.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #17
Shadow47 registered before Ed did, though.

Shadow47 != Ed
It's possible that Shadow47 = Ed - Contrition, but it's not really worth worrying about yet.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
All things are possible, but there's really not even strong circumstantial evidence for Shadow47 = Ed.

—Alorael, who can't wrap his mind around not quite unique. Unique is a property that can be either true or false. There are no degrees of uniqueness.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #19
Rather than new ingame stuff I'd prefer something like less jerky interface (I found it jerky anyway, but maybe I'm not used to it).

A 'camera' follow option would be nice for example, rather than having to move to the edge of the screen or manually scrolling.

I wouldn't mind if the size of the graphics where reduced ... say, half way between A1/2/3's and A4's size (A4, though large and detailed, feels small and clostrophbic).

Other than that a good plot, some fun quests and dungeons to explore... and she'll be right I say.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Apprentice
Member # 7160
Profile #20
A IV is a little jerky on my computer (a three year old Mac running 10.4) too. It would be nice if that was fixed.

I'd like there to be ways to bulk up on EXP without having to go the the next part of the game, if a player wanted.

I really like the side quests and the quest boards in each town. I like the monsters that you fight. It would be cool to see a list of all the kinds of monsters in A IV and their subtypes online.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #21
Probably won't ever happen, but I hope A5 addresses the fighter/mage tactical inbalance that plagues most CRPGs. By this I refer to the way mages can choose between a host of spells in combat, while fighters and archers are limited to target choosing. As much as I would like to see the spell base extended to the size that the Exile fans rave about, I think the non-magic users need more work first. Too much of the fighter's stats are invisible in gameplay.

What I'd like to see is a continuation of the special skills like Riposte, Quick Attack, and Parry. Examples could be skills such as Mobility, which would decrease the chance of an enemy slowing a PC down; Opportunist, which would let a fighter have the chance of making attacks of opportunity as they did in A1-BoA; or Teamwork, which would allow a fighter to get a synergy bonus to attack if another PC is nearby with a similarly high score in the skill (anyone care to guess what the inspiration is for these ideas? :P ).

Personally, I'd like to make things even more complex and include things like the ability to make called shots (a chance of reducing an enemy's attack, or speed, etc.). However, this would probably make the game to difficult for the casual player.

Anyway, here's hoping that JV did good encapsulation in the A4 code so that most of these ideas have a chance at being easily implemented...

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will never place the key to a cell just out of a prisoner's reach.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #22
You know what I really miss? Being able to set items down on tables and other such place. Also, the ability to carelessly hurl fireballs around without a target in mind.

I mean, those were really great features. Man Exile 3 was a great game.

Edit: I'd also like another editor like E3's where you can go through munus of all the game items. That was the greatest. Oh I really hope Jeff puts those things back in.

[ Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:12: Message edited by: GremlinJoe ]

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #23
Have you played Avernum 4? The game brings back area-of-effect spells and you can put items into containers now. Those features are basically back, though they are implemented differently.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1814
Profile #24
I was traumatized nonethelesss that it wasn't so much like in Exile 3.

--------------------
The great light bulb converses its thoughts in a fashion most particular to its complicated nature.

Neither twenty-one nor forsaken any longer, I now stand in freedom through Jesus Christ.

Pages