Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #200
quote:
Originally written by Vicheron:

quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Micah's other son was a bit of a dunce... I doubt he survived long in Avernum, even locked away in the Castle. I assume that Micah's wife died of the manifold diseases and syndromes associated with prolonged cave-dwelling.

I mean don't forget... Micah's dead as well by the time A4 starts.

I know that Chevyn is an idiot but that just makes it easier for him to be manipulated. A group like the Darkside Loyalists could try to frame Starrus for a murder or make people think that Starrus isn't really Micah's son, then use Chevyn to challenge Starrus' rule and start a civil war. Most people in Avernum don't remember that Chevyn is an idiot. The Chevyn supporters could just say that all the rumors about Chevyn being an idiot was started by Starrus, who usurped Chevyn's rightful position as king of Avernum.

Someone is seeing way too many conspiracies.

EDIT: Stupid tags

[ Sunday, April 02, 2006 19:52: Message edited by: Infernal666hate ]

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Apprentice
Member # 6913
Profile #201
I'm one of those who find repeat things, like headbanging in previous versions, to much is boring. One feature I'm missing is the ability to make spells with multipåle targets. Especially augumentation and shielding ones. BUt only in non-combat mode. It shouldn't make it easier to beat the game, only require less repetitions.

--------------------
Segla i medvind
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #202
Hmm, most people were missing the area effect spells of exile in A1-3, but there were some situations where target spells would be better. Arrows of death was always fun in Exile.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #203
How about you are hired as part of an exploration/settlement mission to new lands. So, you could have tasks such as saving a group of settlers under attack/subduing hostile enemies, exploring and charting new territory (including reporting back on mysterious events) perhaps making first contact and negotiating trade/property treaties.

You could even incorporate some timed missions ala ZKR. But, here I would run the mission so that if you took time to explore an area you might find a powerful weapon or a different explore might uncover a new spell that would aid you on your timed mission. The consequence would be that negative events would be advanced by the time taken to explore (i.e. you must relieve an outpost, part of the outpost is decimated if you choose a sidequest). the side quest might make the mission easier but you would then suffer an experience loss (would not get as much as if you managed to save the whole outpost). After the mission you would be free to retrace your steps and do all the side explores/quests.

You could be required to discover the source of herbs or other medicines.

I think a lot of things could be done with this. Thoughts?

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #204
quote:
Originally written by Hassium:

(Summarizes Avernum 3)
... Or not.

This plot probably can't work without producing an epic so sprawling that nobody can finish it. In fact, I can't really see a possible ending for that plot, unless you reveal some sort of hidden menace that threatens all of your exploration/settlement efforts...

Like Rentar-Ihrno in Avernum 3.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #205
I wonder how big Avernum is. It must be pretty big, Fort Draco is around 100 miles away from Formello. Avernum must be bigger than California. With the first three Avernum games, it really felt like you were travelling big distances on the world map. With Avernum 4 engine, Fort Draco does not feel like it's 100 miles from Formello, it really didn't feel like you were travelling hundreds of miles like in previous games. If A5 uses the same engine as A4, which it probably will, I don't think it should cover an area of hundreds of thousands of square miles like previous Avernum games. It should cover maybe around the same actual area as the Great Cave or the Eastern Gallery, just have it divided into more sections so there's the same amount of gaming area as A4.

[ Monday, April 03, 2006 20:55: Message edited by: Vicheron ]
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #206
Erikia being captured in a crystal soul by the Vahnatai after A3 would have been an awesome twist!

Perhaps A5 will include one of the two ends of the ZKR, to help give it a real place in the world.

Btw, one of the problems with mentally understanding Avernum is that, really, there can be many, many layers. It's hard to visualise how these all fit above and below each other.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #207
My take on the Chevyn/Starrus/Micah line of succession:

Micah ruled as King from 777 - 836 IE, when he died and passed the crown to his second son, Chevyn. (His first son was Exiled with him and died soon after).

Chevyn was Micah's second son and succeeded him after his death. However, the Council of Avernum controlled his every decision and did not even permit him to be officially crowned. They did not need to justify their control because everyone in Avernum knew of Chevyn's reputation for being a simpleton. The most notable event during his "reign" was the Second Slith War, but his actual handling of war affairs was minimal. When Starrus, Micah's third son, turned 13, the Council made him king in Chevyn's place.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #208
And what happened to Chevyn after that?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #209
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

And what happened to Chevyn after that?
What else? He went back to being a dunce.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #210
The Avernites were so disgusted by Chevyn that the exiled him to the surface... forever!

—Alorael, who believes that being stupid above ground is somewhat less likely to get you eaten by an angry lizard with four feet or speared by an angry lizard with two feet.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #211
They drove him to the levyn but the levyn was dryn.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 3664
Profile Homepage #212
Since Avernum is a new nation, and Micah was the first king, the nation doesn't really have a set "tradition" of direct inheritance or any traditions to speak of. Micah was himself "elected" to be king, was he not? I doubt that there would be much stock put in the "royal line" in Avernum just yet.

And that combined with their short history of near-constant difficulties and that they are now in an expansionist era would make it paramount to have a competent leader. Chevyn was obviously incompetent for the job, so there was no real chance that he would be the next king.

Handily, Starrus came along, so it was accepted to start a "royal line". Once this line is several generations along and the basic infrastructure of the nation pretty much stagnant, then an incompetent royal ruler could stay in power. But not now. Not at the very outset of the nation and the potential line of rulers.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 13:07: Message edited by: Feathin Silyar ]

--------------------
*Child of Feanor*
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #213
I loved those -be a hero- moments in Exile where you were told a group of soldiers had just been ambushed for example and you were expected to fight and help them for a reward later, that was great! or that Nephilim attack on Fort Draco where you had an important role defending the it.
I really miss that!!

PS: I don't miss secret passages or crate puzzles at all!

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #214
quote:
Originally written by Hassium:

How about you are hired as part of an exploration/settlement mission to new lands. So, you could have tasks such as saving a group of settlers under attack/subduing hostile enemies, exploring and charting new territory (including reporting back on mysterious events) perhaps making first contact and negotiating trade/property treaties.

You could even incorporate some timed missions ala ZKR. But, here I would run the mission so that if you took time to explore an area you might find a powerful weapon or a different explore might uncover a new spell that would aid you on your timed mission. The consequence would be that negative events would be advanced by the time taken to explore (i.e. you must relieve an outpost, part of the outpost is decimated if you choose a sidequest). the side quest might make the mission easier but you would then suffer an experience loss (would not get as much as if you managed to save the whole outpost). After the mission you would be free to retrace your steps and do all the side explores/quests.

You could be required to discover the source of herbs or other medicines.

I think a lot of things could be done with this. Thoughts?

I think it's an excelent idea. In fact, I thought it was such an excelent idea that I'm working off and on on a scenario that is more or less exactly what you said, with a fairly significant twist.
Apprentice
Member # 6924
Profile Homepage #215
Eugh I hated the timed events in Avernum. I want to be able to take as long as I want to explore everywhere.

When I played Avernum 3 (well Exile 3 is what I played) I set the clock back to day 1 on a regular basis :)
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #216
quote:
Eugh I hated the timed events in Avernum. I want to be able to take as long as I want to explore everywhere.

Notice that I addressed this idea in how the timed event would work. You had a set time to accomplish a task and given different timelines it would afffect the prestige you gain/difficulty of the battle. HOWEVER, after the timed event was copmpleted/failed you were free to return to the territory and explore.

Personally, I liked the timed events Except for the fact that I had to play several times to explore everything.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #217
What I would like in Avernum 5 is the alchemy system back, and maybe even expanded. For example, instead of having the only potions you can make be plain vanilla heal/bless/cure/haste buffing potions, you could make, say, volatile potions that would have a similar effect to a fireball, or poisons and acids you could apply to weapons. On top of this, the crafted potions could increase in efficacity with your alchemy skills, making an alchemist-style character a valid build.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #218
My own thoughts.

Erika Redmark and her whole death is just insulting to the player.

To have a mage that powerful, with that much arcane lore, that can zap her self through time and space, like she did to assist the adventurers in E/A3, and for her to not have a contingency for her own death just strikes me as being somehow wrong. Her curse was intended for the living if you get my drift. Somebody as powerful as Erika could have easily turned her self in to a Lich at the moment of her death, and would have probably gotten away with it too. Exile/Avernum would have left her alone and continue with her undead existance.

On the other hand, maybe Erika was really just some two bit mage with a flair for theatrics and made her self out to be far more powerful than she really was, and her death was the ultimate moment of truth. All of her power was a sham.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6943
Profile #219
Erika cannot be a two bit mage because, according to Encyclopedia Emarian, she was possibly the only person ever to create quickfire. In A3, in her tower, there is a quickfire trap guarding some drakeskin gloves which pretty much proves it.

--------------------
Reality is overrated.

Visit the official Amana site with this URL. www.freewebs.com/Richia4444
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #220
quote:
Originally written by Air:

Erika cannot be a two bit mage because, according to Encyclopedia Emarian, she was possibly the only person ever to create quickfire. In A3, in her tower, there is a quickfire trap guarding some drakeskin gloves which pretty much proves it.
Thank you for proving my point.

So her death was just a poorly executed plot device that just doesn't make sense.

Would be nice if there was some means of restoring her in AVV.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Apprentice
Member # 6997
Profile #221
quote:
Originally written by Reve:

When I played Avernum 3 (well Exile 3 is what I played) I set the clock back to day 1 on a regular basis :)

I never really had a problem with the ticking clock in Exile 3. In fact, once I sensed I was coming to the end of the game, I had to set the clock ahead in order to expierience the chaos in the tower of magi.

quote:
Originally written by Air:

I highly doubt this. What about the Pheonix eggs? Purgatos managed to make one as I remember it and the giants somehow came by one too as the trap in their temple indicated. Also there's the matter of that guy in Blackcrag fortress who was willing to outright teach you the spell for summoning Quickfire in Exile 3.. Petrie I think it was. Erika may have been the only mage in Avernum capable of making quickfire but certianly not the only one in the world.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #222
Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!
Why don't you like my idea of Erika as a Crystal Soul. At least Bon-Ihrno had some respect to her, as far as I recall my memories of A2. So having his humble hut in a neighbourhood with Rentar's fortress he could have prepared everything for a crystalization ritual.
But not a lich, PLEASE!!! Ooops, I seem to repeat, do I?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #223
Also, the mages are working with quickfire in ASR.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6997
Profile #224
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Erika's reanimation as a lich is an interesting idea but seems unlikely to me as her body was completely immoliated when Rentar triggered her curse. No corpse, no lich.

Pages