Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Apprentice
Member # 3673
Profile Homepage #0
Apparently the next Spiderweb game in the pipeline is another in the Geneforge series, but I just wanted to put in a plug for what ought to be added to the next Avernum game:

There should be an option for vahnatai player characters.

This assumes, of course, that none of the action will take place on the surface (since the vahnatai are sensitive to light). But I was disappointed that it wasn't an option in Avernum IV.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
That has been requested many, many times before and it is terribly unlikely to be implemented. The vahnatai are just too mystical to be a mere adventurer like a human, even if the adventurers will become heroes.

Balancing out advantages of a mighty race like the vahnatai would be difficult too. What advantages and experience penalties would you expect for a vahnatai?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #2
I'm afraid that this will never happen. One of the reasons the vahnatai are so cool are that they are alien, the other. It is unthinkable to me to change this.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 6679
Profile #3
and you shouldnt either IMO

--------------------
Visit diablogames for more info on our (my) great stuff ><

current W.I.P(an iso rpg for PC, Mac and linux )
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #4
How about some character specific quests? I am thinking that (due to prejudice/racial characteristic whatever) only a specific character could do a mission and receive a bonus. Say, one of your human characters does a mission, gets the flying orb and thus can visit all sorts of the game board. Not central to the main plot perhaps (or allows the main plot to be accomplished in a different manner).

Or, perhaps a spell that is only available to a slith/nephilim (through their religion, history etc). This might increase replayability or cause one to choose party makeups that one would not otherwise do.

Although, for me the replayability isn't huge as I think you get incredible value/amount of playtime ofr $25.00

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
If we had an option as a vahnatai it would mess up the plot, being most of the vahnatai are evil.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #6
I'd like the GIFTS to have a major part in the story. Also I want a BIG war. Evil vahnatai, bad Empire dudes, evil sliths, evil nephil, and an angered god. The allies would be: good vahnatai, good nephil, good Empire guys, and good slith. This is what I'd like to see. Obviously you wouldn't be able to kill the god. I was kind of thinking that Avernum somehow offended the god, and you have to return honor to his name.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1115
Profile Homepage #7
Couple things.

1) I suspect that Jeff doesn't like the kind of replayability that hides content from you because you made an arbitrary choice early in the game. I know I do. Why should I have to replay the entire game just because I wanted a racially-balanced party (or a kitty party, or whatever)? Especially if the bulk of the game is the same otherwise. Now, if you made a game that played out differently on the whole based on your party's racial mix, that'd be a different story. And a lot of work.

2) Vahnatai aren't all evil; they're a mixed lot just like the humans, nephil, and sliths are. Every game that's featured the vahnatai (in a speaking role; the crypt in A1 doesn't count) has had both friendly and hostile factions.

3) GIFTS are a one-off joke that got stamina beyond all consideration. There's a good reason why they only show up briefly in each game; players can only take so much high, squeaky voice acting, even if it's all imaginary. The Vahnatai are one thing; talking spiders are just a bit too alien.

--------------------
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." -Porkypine
Derakon's Library
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
It would be nice to go back to vahnatai lands and see for oneself how the vahnatai are recovering from Rentar-Ihrno's actions and to see what the vahnatai lands look like after being rebuilt.

Dikiyoba.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
Great ideas, everybody. NOW CHANNEL THAT CREATIVE ENERGY INTO A BoA SCENARIO!!!

--------------------
Blades is not dead. Actually, it's technically not alive either. See, it's a hunk of C code...
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
My creative energy is currently being channeled somewhere else right now, sorry. I do have plans that I have started for a scenario involving vahnatai.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 6869
Profile #11
Perhaps they should put a Expension like most games (exemple: Age of the empire, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.) or/and they should put a new generation within two or three species (exemple: Half-Human Half-Vahnatai, Half-Slith Half-Nephil, etc.). :cool:

--------------------
I have ideas, suggestions, and helpful adds that will help anyone. The only thing I am not always on the forum.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Super ideal idea:

Perhaps they should put a Expension like most games (exemple: Age of the empire, Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.) or/and they should put a new generation within two or three species (exemple: Half-Human Half-Vahnatai, Half-Slith Half-Nephil, etc.). :cool:
I encourage you to think about why no noe would want a half breed as a son/daughter. Chances are that the species aren't close enough to breed. Not to mention how freaky those things would look like.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6869
Profile #13
quote:
I encourage you to think about why no noe would want a half breed as a son/daughter. Chances are that the species aren't close enough to breed. Not to mention how freaky those things would look like.
Well they could be magic Breed (ex: Mutant Lizard) [And there are fury, scaily and skinny but where is the feddery there should also be a Eagleman.]

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 15:18: Message edited by: Super ideal idea ]

--------------------
I have ideas, suggestions, and helpful adds that will help anyone. The only thing I am not always on the forum.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Mutants aren't crossbreeds. They're mutants.

Humans and nephilim are probably best classified as primates and felines. Primates and felines do not produce offspring. Slithzerikai don't even have the same reproductive anatomy.

A1, A2, and A3 use the same engine, more or less. So do G1, G2, and G3. How much more similar would they have to be to qualify as expansions?

—Alorael, who is sure that the vahnatai lands look exactly the same as they did in A2, only probably more built up from the intervening years. Rentar's war machine wasn't in lands belonging to the vahnatai before they began their plagues, so smashing all the factories makes no difference.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
But Dikiyoba imagines there must be some social upheaval. Maybe vahnatai are just too cool for social upheaval. Besides, Dikiyoba was refering to cities being rebuilt after the Resting and not being rebuilt after the monster plagues.
Apprentice
Member # 6869
Profile #16
I've studied biologie there is some reptile (Most specified Snakes) that can breed both like humans and lizards (having eggs in their body for protection). So why not have a cool stile creature.

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 15:27: Message edited by: Super ideal idea ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #17
Again, all four of the major species have bodies that cannot breed due to great differences in there species. It is biologically impossible for their to be a halfling for more reasons than that too. Anyways who would want to be a freak like that? People would taunt your characters on every turn.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #18
There was some nephil bandit in the great cave that had "half-breed" in his name, and when you first see him the text that pops up describes him as looking almost like a human.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #19
Your point? It was just his name and appearance most likely. When you bring me something in the games that actually says that it's an actual halfling then I'll believe you.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #20
I don't think it's said officially, but one can infer that he is indeed a half-breed based upon the morphology described.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Mutants belong in Geneforge, not Avernum. Oddities and fantastic creatures belong in Avernum, though.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #22
Hmmm. Perhaps it was a bizarre twist of magic that made him like that?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Walter:

There was some nephil bandit in the great cave that had "half-breed" in his name, and when you first see him the text that pops up describes him as looking almost like a human.
Randolph Halfbreed.

"You come face to face with an enormous nephar. He is a peculiar-looking creature. His fur is thin and missing in patches, and his face is peculiar. It almost looks human.
His arms are tattooed with strange symbols, and his claws are long and tipped with steel spikes. He is truly a fearsome creature.
Then, when he sees who you are, he lets out a long, hideous howl. It is a painful, screeching sound that comes straight out of his nephil heritage. His skin begins to glow faintly in the shadows of the cave.
Then he pounces, claws outstretched."

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #24
Despite that it doesn't give positive proof. Heck that stuff about glowing skin only reinforces my bizzare magic theory.

--------------------

Pages