Avernum V

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #225
quote:
Originally written by Air:

Erika cannot be a two bit mage because, according to Encyclopedia Emarian, she was possibly the only person ever to create quickfire. In A3, in her tower, there is a quickfire trap guarding some drakeskin gloves which pretty much proves it.
Who wrote that article? There is some correction needed, I believe.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #226
quote:
Originally written by Sharpie:

quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Erika's reanimation as a lich is an interesting idea but seems unlikely to me as her body was completely immoliated when Rentar triggered her curse. No corpse, no lich.

Ok, I agree. No corps - no lich. Yes soul - yes crystal, ok?

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #227
We have no record of any non-vahnatai ever attaining bokhood, with or without vahnatai aid. Seeing as the ritual is one of the most closely guarded secrets of the vahnatai, I don't see it being learned (let alone mastered) by humans anytime soon...

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #228
quote:
Originally written by Kuranes-:

We have no record of any non-vahnatai ever attaining bokhood, with or without vahnatai aid. Seeing as the ritual is one of the most closely guarded secrets of the vahnatai, I don't see it being learned (let alone mastered) by humans anytime soon...
You never know. If Rentar could bring back Garzahd (ah damn! I had to face him again), I'm sure another Vahnatai could bring back Erika.

I'm not sure we all want Erika back, but it could be done.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #229

quote:
Don't make Erika a lich, PLEASE!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!
Seconded.

Dikiyoba wants to see new enemies and new friends in Avernum 5.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #230
As an aside. Purgatos got that information to make the Phoenix egg from a "visitor" and he was told to use it to help you.

The Quickfire trap in the giant's cave was probably left there by Rentar.

Petrie in Blackcrag might have a spellbook that you can read to learn Quickfire, but it doesn't mean that he knows how to cast it.

One of my favourite things to do in Exile 3 was block off the main chamber in Rentar's fortress with barriers, and before putting the last one in place, casting Quickfire. Stuff would be getting fried as I worked my way forward.

I am not so sure I want Erika back as a lich either. I was just saying it seems odd that somebody so powerful had no contingencies in place for the moment of her death.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #231
quote:

Yes soul - yes crystal, ok?
Agh, this is a terrible idea. Erika should not be turned into a crystal soul. What about her seemed even remotely vahnatai?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #232
A human turning into a Crystal Soul makes about as much sense as an earthworm pupating and emerging as a butterfly. Erika isn't the right species.

—Alorael, who will not accept that Crystal Souls are all magic and no biology (parabiology?). It makes no sense! Please turn humor detectors to setting C.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #233
By Vlish:
quote:
To have a mage that powerful, with that much arcane lore, that can zap her self through time and space, like she did to assist the adventurers in E/A3, and for her to not have a contingency for her own death just strikes me as being somehow wrong. Her curse was intended for the living if you get my drift. Somebody as powerful as Erika could have easily turned her self in to a Lich at the moment of her death, and would have probably gotten away with it too. Exile/Avernum would have left her alone and continue with her undead existance.
In most fantasy settings, not only is lichhood viewed as abhorrent, but is also dreadfully complicated. Usually, it involves storing your soul in a vessel (denying you of the life hereafter in return for eternal undeath), often with demonic parties involved. So... no. Besides, the whole sunlight curse was invoked by Garzahd, a mage with powers rivalling Erika's.

Human Crystal Souls... (Ahem) Arghhhhhhhhh!!!

--------------------
Merry Christmas to all!/Now you're all going to die!
- The Night Santa Went Crazy (Weird Al)
Warrior
Member # 6977
Profile #234
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Usually, it involves storing your soul in a vessel (denying you of the life hereafter in return for eternal undeath) . . .
For future reference, said vessel is often referred to as a "phylactery".

--------------------
Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #235
quote:
Originally written by Iron Eyes:

A human turning into a Crystal Soul makes about as much sense as an earthworm pupating and emerging as a butterfly. Erika isn't the right species.

—Alorael, who will not accept that Crystal Souls are all magic and no biology (parabiology?). It makes no sense! Please turn humor detectors to setting C.

Why not consider Erika to be a caterpillar among all humans?

quote:
Originally written by Kuranes:

I don't see it being learned (let alone mastered) by humans anytime soon...
Erika wasn't a common personality. I bet she was prepared to face a real enemy in Rentar's face. Such a foolish death of such a powerful mage is out of normal fantasy canon. Like Gendalf the Grey Mage or Dumbledore (though not written yet, but 99 to 1 he is alive).

At least, this was an idea. Another way there should be to return Erika, but still concealed it is from us. I shall grant the idea of returning Erika as a shade, making parallel to Shannara and its Druids, coming back as ghosts at the lake of death, giving advices.

Edit: stupid UBB

[ Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:38: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #236
Erika isn't exactly the helpful sort who would come back to aid others. If she's still around, it's because she hates Rentar-Ihrno and Rentar-Ihrno is not dead. Or maybe she hates all the vahnatai. Or she still has revenge to take on the Empire. Or she has revenge to take on Avernum for allying with the Empire.

—Alorael, who would accept Erika's return if she returned as a non-evil undead and if she were only a minor character, neither a major NPC as in prior games nor a villain. She's Avernum background, but it's time for her to fade into that background.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #237
quote:

Erika wasn't a common personality. I bet she was prepared to face a real enemy in Rentar's face. Such a foolish death of such a powerful mage is out of normal fantasy canon. Like Gendalf the Grey Mage or Dumbledore (though not written yet, but 99 to 1 he is alive).
Slightly silly perhaps, but sunlight isn't the first thing you worry about in a fortress 1000 feet(my guess) below ground. Rentar just had to wait untill she was in the exact right spot.

And I think Erika considers undead too evil to become one. If she was powermad enough to only be out for herself, she wouldn't help fight Rentar.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #238
Logically it should take two successful attempts to kill Rentar. Likewise, it should only take one attempt to kill Erika. They are both dead now, neither expected to die, therefore there should be no contingency plans enacted.

I'm sure Jeff is as tired with those two women as anyone could be, and if bothers us so bad we can just change the scripts to give Rentar a different name, capiche?

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Apprentice
Member # 6997
Profile #239
quote:
Originally written by Delicious Vlish:

Petrie in Blackcrag might have a spellbook that you can read to learn Quickfire, but it doesn't mean that he knows how to cast it.

Ahh, but you didn't pay him to read a spellbook, you paid him an ungodly sum of money to walk you through the incantation so you could cast it yourself. I don't pay my math professor to tell me which textbook I need and to "figure it out", I pay him for examples and demonstrations so I know what i'm doing. Petrie definately knew how to cast the spell.

Also, there's the matter of all those mages west of Fort Remote in Avernum 2 who were experimenting with barriers which dissolved on contact with Quickfire. Would you really waste your time on such an experiment if there was noone at your lab capable of creating the stuff to test it out?
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #240
No more Erika. No more Rentar. No more Garzahd.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #241
By Old Scratch:
quote:
For future reference, said vessel is often referred to as a "phylactery".
I know. I avoid using the term, because it actually is something orthodox Jews put pieces of the Torah in.

By JV:
quote:

- Jeff Vogel
Now, if we can just get the BoE/Aers to agree...

--------------------
I have just discovered that LAN parties where no one brings games are not fun.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #242
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

- Jeff Vogel

Good!

Dikiyoba will now use this sig to reiterate the goodness of it.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #243
quote:

- Jeff Vogel

Yay! This day just keeps getting better!

(I will say, however, that I enjoyed killing Garzahd again. It was a most amusing scene, though I felt that he lacked the combat 'oomph' he had in A2.)

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Warrior
Member # 3610
Profile #244
I'm a big fan of the Rentar, Erika, Garzhad announcement.

Incidentally, what is translated as a phylactery is more accurately refered to as tefillin. They don't contain the entire Torah, only Exodus 13:1-10, Exodus 13:11-16, Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Deuteronomy 11:13-21. Those are the commandments to wear tefilin and the central prayer (creed, if you will) of Judaism.

That just got me waay off topic, so, let me just close by saying that I'm in the camp which wants something totally new.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #245
I think most of the BoX community agrees, redoing Erika, Garzahd, or Rentar is bad. I even felt queasy about it in A4, but it's good to hear that they are dead. To paraphase, it's time for them to fade into the history of Avernum.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #246
quote:
Long live Avernum.
Bye, Erika, wink. Let you come again in some BoA. Bye, Garzahd. May be demons will moarn of your death.
Bye, Rentar. A good villain were you. A good villain is better then a bad friend. So we shall find another good enemy.

[ Thursday, April 13, 2006 22:11: Message edited by: Meeshka ]

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #247
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

(I will say, however, that I enjoyed killing Garzahd again. It was a most amusing scene, though I felt that he lacked the combat 'oomph' he had in A2.)
He had had a rough day.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3716
Profile #248
For Avernum 5 I wish there was some kind of food (?) that restores your energy for mages and priests. Apples, meat and all the food restores your health, but I wish there was another way -besides energy potions- to do it :(

--------------------
"Inspiration comes from hard work" -Charles Baudelaire.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #249
quote:

- Jeff Vogel

Yay! I'm happy.

Garazhd = EVIL
Rentar = SHE REFUSES TO DIE
Erika = DOES SHE HAVE TO TRAP HER TOWER?

Marcelo - Interesting idea, but all he really needs to do is re-implement "rest". Then I'll be happy.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)

Pages